HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Special Trade Deadline Edition!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
  #101
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
You don't think Hodgson is a #1 centre? Think again
When 90-95% of Canucks fans say he will absolutely not be a #1 center....

Yea, I'll believe the ones who've watched him since he was drafted. But agree to disagree.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
  #102
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 35,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
When 90-95% of Canucks fans say he will absolutely not be a #1 center....

Yea, I'll believe the ones who've watched him since he was drafted. But agree to disagree.
I'm hoping for a 25+g 60+pt offensive center.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
  #103
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
When 90-95% of Canucks fans say he will absolutely not be a #1 center....

Yea, I'll believe the ones who've watched him since he was drafted. But agree to disagree.
What canucks fans are these? Certainly not the ones on HF.

HockeyH3aven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
  #104
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ha! Morrisonn and Finley? Who cares what they think? The way he protects the puck at the NHL level makes him dramatically more valuable than Hogkins. Who wont hit AT ALL. IN ANY LEAGUE. Not even a little. Regier wont be happy until everybody on the team is the exact same player. He aimed for mediocrity and achieved it. gratz. Any GM with long term vision would not have traded Kassian. Unreal.
You ignore the other people who commented on his work ethic, but then again who cares what you think? I guess you're right though. Even though nearly everyone is in agreement that Hodgson was the better commodity than Kassian. Not to mention we had a center need, and had a plethora of wingers. If you want consistent physical play, look no further than Foligno. Obviously you're in love with the physical play and scoring ability of Kassian. I was too, but if you are comparing scoring ability and playmaking ability, Hodgson is miles above Kassian. Yes, he is a big body and will be sorely missed, but we have plenty of size coming up through the system. Funny, you mention a player not hitting anyone at all, I'm confused, are you talking about Hodgson or Kassian? Because the Kassian I saw in Buffalo for 17 games or whatever, did not hit whatsoever. Of course, that's Darcy's fault. NO IT'S LINDY'S. NO WAIT.. IT'S HODGSON'S....

They are both too young to assess right now, but we needed center's and Darcy went out and got a pretty good young one.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
  #105
PanicItsVanek26
Registered User
 
PanicItsVanek26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portage, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
When 90-95% of Canucks fans say he will absolutely not be a #1 center....

Yea, I'll believe the ones who've watched him since he was drafted. But agree to disagree.
He wasn't going to be a number 1 center in Vancouver because of Sedin and Kessler but he has the potential to be a number 1 center.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:20 PM
  #106
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm hoping for a 25+g 60+pt offensive center.
Yea, that's where I have him at as well. Now, if all other centers are getting much less, then by that logic he'll be our #1. As far as playing on our 1st line, I don't see it. He may have little stints on our first line, but as far as being our long term shiny new #1 center. Nope, don't expect it at all.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:20 PM
  #107
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
You don't think Hodgson is a #1 centre? Think again
Not yet, but the kid has skills for sure. Too early to tell. I think he could fill in our top 6 admirably though.

Even if the dude doesn't go PPG center, if we draft someone like Galchenyuk that's a pretty good future 1a/1b with Hodgson and Galchenyuk right?

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
  #108
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,575
vCash: 500
G: 1st, Hodgson, no more MAG

B: Paper soft team.

U: What does BZK do with his name now?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
  #109
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
You ignore the other people who commented on his work ethic, but then again who cares what you think? I guess you're right though. Even though nearly everyone is in agreement that Hodgson was the better commodity than Kassian. Not to mention we had a center need, and had a plethora of wingers. If you want consistent physical play, look no further than Foligno. Obviously you're in love with the physical play and scoring ability of Kassian. I was too, but if you are comparing scoring ability and playmaking ability, Hodgson is miles above Kassian. Yes, he is a big body and will be sorely missed, but we have plenty of size coming up through the system. Funny, you mention a player not hitting anyone at all, I'm confused, are you talking about Hodgson or Kassian? Because the Kassian I saw in Buffalo for 17 games or whatever, did not hit whatsoever. Of course, that's Darcy's fault. NO IT'S LINDY'S. NO WAIT.. IT'S HODGSON'S....

They are both too young to assess right now, but we needed center's and Darcy went out and got a pretty good young one.
If they can get a true #1 center in the draft this summer, the pieces will fit a lot better. But who knows if this team will even make the playoffs next season with Roy and Hodgson centering the top two lines, and only 1 potential rookie to add grit to the top 6. And he's probably 2 years away.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
  #110
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
When 90-95% of Canucks fans say he will absolutely not be a #1 center....

Yea, I'll believe the ones who've watched him since he was drafted. But agree to disagree.
There's been about a thousand canucks fans come over to this board today to say how good hodgson will be and how we have our next captain. Im not sure what canucks fans you're referring to but the general consensus on this board is he will definitely be a #1 centre in a few years.

LGB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
  #111
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
There's been about a thousand canucks fans come over to this board today to say how good hodgson will be and how we have our next captain. Im not sure what canucks fans you're referring to but the general consensus on this board is he will definitely be a #1 centre in a few years.
That's fine. You and others can expect him to be our #1 center, and when he's not, you can be disappointed and start threads clamoring for him to be traded.

I won't expect him to be the solution to our need as a #1 center. And if he turns out to be, I'll be excited and surprised. And if he isn't I won't be disappointed at all.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
  #112
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
If they can get a true #1 center in the draft this summer, the pieces will fit a lot better. But who knows if this team will even make the playoffs next season with Roy and Hodgson centering the top two lines, and only 1 potential rookie to add grit to the top 6. And he's probably 2 years away.
Your completely ignoring the option of pre draft trades (Which we are PERFECTLY set up for with 2 firsts and 2 seconds), and free agency. Size wont be an issue next year, just for the remainder of this year. Don't assume they won't make further moves this summer because they made a bunch this year. IMO Darcy isn't done with this team yet. It taes more then one offseason and one deadline day to fix the mess Galisano made.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
  #113
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Yea, that's where I have him at as well. Now, if all other centers are getting much less, then by that logic he'll be our #1. As far as playing on our 1st line, I don't see it. He may have little stints on our first line, but as far as being our long term shiny new #1 center. Nope, don't expect it at all.
Z, Hodgson very much does have the potential to become a 35-35 #1 center in this league.

I think he tops out as a 25-60 type as you and JJ both said, but the potential is definitely there for more. Hodgson could have been a top 5 pick in his draft year. He fell because of how stacked the top 6 was for d-men (Doughty, Pietrangelo, Bogosian, Schenn) and some question marks taken in front of him (Boedker, Bailey).

The potential is there.





While Hodgson didn't play much, the most impressive stat I've looked at is his 13 giveaways in 63 games.

By current sabres "centers," or players that have played there this year:

Ennis has 12, in 28 games.
McCormick has 8, in 38 games (and is a 4th line grinder).
Ellis has 7, in 52 games (see McCormick).
Leino has 17, in 51 games.
Hecht has 14, in 22 games.
Adam has 16, in 52 games.
Boyes has 17, in 47 games.
Gaustad had 23, in 56 games.
Roy has 41, in 60 games.

Adding a player with a HIGH HOCKEY IQ is key. Although I will note that the low minutes plays a role, as does differences in system.



We got us a good player. A gamer.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
  #114
just22
meat and taters
 
just22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,131
vCash: 500
he just needs to get faster and stronger... not the greatest along the boards, average - below average defensively, but has great hockey IQ and offensive potential... thing is, he's got a solid work ethic and will work hard at getting better, so a lot of his game can and probably will improve

I see him as a perennial 60-70 point producer who amps it up in the playoffs with clutch scoring

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
  #115
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,739
vCash: 500
He's not a first line center right now, but he's got the potential.

More importantly - we have Derek Roy, Luke Adam, and two first round picks. We don't have to depend on Hodgson to take on that first line role, especially if we're able to grab one of the stud centers in this draft.

Roy
Hodgson
Adam (Gal or Grig, maybe?)
Acquisition (Gaustad back? Cody?)

This is good, folks. I mean... oh damn, we just grabbed a second-line capable center in the NHL NOW, who has the potential to move up to the first line, and had to give up a winger with NHL POTENTIAL?

What's there to argue about?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
  #116
indigoo
Registered User
 
indigoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
He's not a first line center right now, but he's got the potential.

More importantly - we have Derek Roy, Luke Adam, and two first round picks. We don't have to depend on Hodgson to take on that first line role, especially if we're able to grab one of the stud centers in this draft.

Roy
Hodgson
Adam (Gal or Grig, maybe?)
Acquisition (Gaustad back? Cody?)

This is good, folks. I mean... oh damn, we just grabbed a second-line capable center in the NHL NOW, who has the potential to move up to the first line, and had to give up a winger with NHL POTENTIAL?

What's there to argue about?
I agree, but Bucky is unfortunately angered that we're "buying" what the organization is "selling" again; we should know better.

I'm just pretty excited.

Most Canucks fans I've talked to agree: Give him the minutes and the 1st or 2nd line and he will flourish. He was being somewhat squandered by the big Centers already on the Canucks. Here's his chance to really grow and develop a presence.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
  #117
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Your completely ignoring the option of pre draft trades (Which we are PERFECTLY set up for with 2 firsts and 2 seconds), and free agency. Size wont be an issue next year, just for the remainder of this year. Don't assume they won't make further moves this summer because they made a bunch this year. IMO Darcy isn't done with this team yet. It taes more then one offseason and one deadline day to fix the mess Galisano made.
Yeah you're right, I can't see the future. And presently, I'm not pleased with that deal. And my confidence in the GM is slipping. If this team is looking like a 50-50 shot to make the playoffs by the ASB next year, they better find a new GM and quick. If it were up to me I'd bring in a new one this summer, before the draft.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
  #118
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
He's not a first line center right now, but he's got the potential.

More importantly - we have Derek Roy, Luke Adam, and two first round picks. We don't have to depend on Hodgson to take on that first line role, especially if we're able to grab one of the stud centers in this draft.

Roy
Hodgson
Adam (Gal or Grig, maybe?)
Acquisition (Gaustad back? Cody?)

This is good, folks. I mean... oh damn, we just grabbed a second-line capable center in the NHL NOW, who has the potential to move up to the first line, and had to give up a winger with NHL POTENTIAL?

What's there to argue about?
Exactly!!! He has potential to be. Not a sure fire LOCK. That's all I'm saying. I will not expect his potential to be realized. If it is, awesome! If it isn't, no problem. I won't be upset at all. Today we aquired a very good 2nd line center. Period. And I love it!

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  #119
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He traded for Briere and drafted Roy. I think he knows what one looks like.
What are "smurfs"?

I'll take diminutive forwards again for $500.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
  #120
cjcanucks
Registered User
 
cjcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
There's been about a thousand canucks fans come over to this board today to say how good hodgson will be and how we have our next captain. Im not sure what canucks fans you're referring to but the general consensus on this board is he will definitely be a #1 centre in a few years.
Hodgson will be a very, very good player. Will he be your #1 centre? That depends on who else you get over the next while but Hodgson's development has been really sound over the last while and Canucks fans have seen plenty to like in his play. He has great hockey sense and you can't beat that.

This trade has been much riskier for the Canucks than the Sabres. Where Hodgson will top out is anyone's guess but he has already proved himself to be a bona fide NHL player. From what I've read on your board, I don't think Kassian is there and whether he ever develops into a Bertuzzi-like player is a total crapshoot. I just hope, for our sake, that Mike Gillis hasn't blown this.

cjcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  #121
indigoo
Registered User
 
indigoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsnow (Twitter)
I can confirm (via Canucks PR) that Cody Hodgson DOES NOT have a Twitter account.]
Just thought I'd post that...

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM
  #122
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 35,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
He's not a first line center right now, but he's got the potential.

More importantly - we have Derek Roy, Luke Adam, and two first round picks. We don't have to depend on Hodgson to take on that first line role, especially if we're able to grab one of the stud centers in this draft.

Roy
Hodgson
Adam (Gal or Grig, maybe?)
Acquisition (Gaustad back? Cody?)


This is good, folks. I mean... oh damn, we just grabbed a second-line capable center in the NHL NOW, who has the potential to move up to the first line, and had to give up a winger with NHL POTENTIAL?

What's there to argue about?
I piggybacked off your post in another thread to make the following point. So I think I will do it again.


Organizationally, center is looking a lot better.

Roy, Hodgson, Ennis, Adam, Sundher (he will be in Rochester next season), Catenacci and possibly 1 or 2 centers drafted in June.


Still more to do for the NHL roster but in better shape than before.


Depending on how things shake out in the offseason. The Amerks could have a Adam/Sundher 1-2 punch next season.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
  #123
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 35,523
vCash: 500
there's actually a few sabres fans on this board who aren't elated with this trade??? really?

look, we can still recognize a need for change... on the roster, behind the bench, even in the front office... we can still see the flaws all throughout this organization...
BUT...
Kassian for Hodgson is a ****ing great trade for this franchise... In or Outside the vaccuum... either way.... HOME RUN.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
  #124
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14,586
vCash: 500
The Good: Jame complimenting Reiger.




Nothing else needs to be said.

In the immortal words of Ice Cube......... Today Was A Good Day



Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
  #125
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,039
vCash: 500
Kassian has been a bit of a head case with effort issues. Hodgson seems by all accounts to be the exact opposite, which is a good thing.

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.