HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we buy out Gomez in Offseason if Yes how much will it cost salary cap wise?

Old
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Can we buy out Gomez in Offseason if Yes how much will it cost salary cap wise?

Hello guys, so how much would it cost to buy out Gomez contract, salary cap wise if we are unable to trade him? How much salary cap do we lose, and how much real money does he get?

I see Kastitsyn doing really bad along with him, and I don't want to destroy another players career so isn't it best that we buy out his contarct then to demote him to minors?

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
Hello guys, so how much would it cost to buy out Gomez contract, salary cap wise if we are unable to trade him? How much salary cap do we lose, and how much real money does he get?

I see Kastitsyn doing really bad along with him, and I don't want to destroy another players career so isn't it best that we buy out his contarct then to demote him to minors?
Buying out Gomez is a really bad idea, that's like 10 mil in cap hit left over...better off to waive him to another team, the AHL or Europe.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Buying out Gomez is a really bad idea, that's like 10 mil in cap hit left over...better off to waive him to another team, the AHL or Europe.
At this point I could live with a re-entry waiver situation. He just needs to go.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

you want to buy him out?Next year his salary is 5 million..

His buyout would cost us this much cap space for next 4 years

2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Habs4ever

Is there any loohole

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
At this point I could live with a re-entry waiver situation. He just needs to go.
or trick to make his salary cap hit go away if he is not claimed on waivers and if nobody wants him.

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
le_sean

Quote:
or trick to make his salary cap hit go away if he is not claimed on waivers and if nobody wants him.
Let him play in Hamilton. Or go to Europe.

But the Habs are too classy and Molson is too cheap.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Nobody wants him at his current salary even a cap floor team. SO please , anybody that thinks a team with money to spend that needs to reach the cap would take Gomez, ask yourself this. WOuld you want your habs to take a player as bad as Gomez ever again? Pretty surethe answer is no. NO one is touching Gomez regardless if his actual salary is 5.5 and 4.5. He isnt even worth the league minimum. At least 4th liners hit and play with grit. Gomez brings nothing to this team except his funny little jokes

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Nobody wants him at his current salary even a cap floor team. SO please , anybody that thinks a team with money to spend that needs to reach the cap would take Gomez, ask yourself this. WOuld you want your habs to take a player as bad as Gomez ever again? Pretty surethe answer is no. NO one is touching Gomez regardless if his actual salary is 5.5 and 4.5. He isnt even worth the league minimum. At least 4th liners hit and play with grit. Gomez brings nothing to this team except his funny little jokes
He's not a bad player. He's just really bad for how much he is getting paid. You will never get the value out of him that you are paying him for, but he can be a productive member of the team.

If you can imagine him getting paid 1 million a year in a third line role with players like White, Bourque and Darche on his wings, it really isn't as bad as you make it out to be. He is one of, if not the best on the team at handling the puck on the boards, and can really make some sick passes. He's great at breaking into the offensive zone. Also, there's no arguing that he elevates his game in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be against putting him in the minors, but at this point we have lots of cap space and I don't really see the point of burying him and especially not buying him out. We pretty much need every player we can get right now, just look at the Staubitz pick up.

JohnLennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
habsrule22

Salary cap wise we are better off sending him to Hamilton. We have to pay him about 9 m over two years or 9m to buy him out over 4 yrs.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Salary cap wise we are better off sending him to Hamilton. We have to pay him about 9 m over two years or 9m to buy him out over 4 yrs.
this i have no idea why they would want to when there is no cap hit while in the AHL and you can pretty much guaranty he will clear waivers. even if montreal sends him down right now.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Send to Hamilton then put him on re-enrty waivers and some team will pick him up for 2.5m. While we pay the other half (2.5m). Problem solved, i wish it was this easy.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Besides, Hamilton is 13th so far this season. He might as well help one team out.. IF he can't even help Hamilton out he's more than useless...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Gomez clause in the next CBA please

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Gomez clause in the next CBA please
Here's my concern with that. When exactly is this whole CBA thing gunna get sorted out, cause if it doesn't happen until....you know...august or september, aren't we gunna have to wait until then to actually buy scott out, and if so isn't that gunna screw up our UFA signings and stuff.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So explain how Wade Redden's contract doesn't count against NYR's cap? He's got another 2 years or something.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...332602230.html

I don't see why we just can't bury Gomez. Where's the downside I'm missing?

Here's another article explaining how the Rangers don't have Redden's salary count against the cap.
http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2011/05...d-wade-redden/

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Here's my concern with that. When exactly is this whole CBA thing gunna get sorted out, cause if it doesn't happen until....you know...august or september, aren't we gunna have to wait until then to actually buy scott out, and if so isn't that gunna screw up our UFA signings and stuff.
If there's no CBA until that time, that means we're in lockout.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Let him play in Hamilton. Or go to Europe.

But the Habs are too classy and Molson is too cheap.
After a 15th place finish I think they dump Gomez if nothing else just to get some of the heat off their backs.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I thought a buy out wouldnt affect the salary cap

Only Molson's profits

Correct me if I'm wrong

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:04 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
I thought a buy out wouldnt affect the salary cap

Only Molson's profits

Correct me if I'm wrong
Seems like the Rangers would have done that with Redden. The only way to circumvent the salary cap is AHL or Europe.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:04 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
If there's no CBA until that time, that means we're in lockout.
Ok, but what if there's no new CBA until like..july 4th. That could still screws stuff up for us couldn't it. Not knowing if we're gunna be able to completely drop gomez, we may not be able to pursue certain players because we won;t know if we have the cap room

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Seems like the Rangers would have done that with Redden. The only way to circumvent the salary cap is AHL or Europe.
Ah ok
Thanks

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
tiredman

I don't understand the point of getting rid of him at any cost.

Yeah he's vastly overpaid... Nobody wants him, and I don't believe anyone would take him on re-entry waivers.

I think it would be better to keep him on the roster. He's not the worst player on the team and can still be useful..

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Aeneas

Quote:
pretty sure you cant have free agent signings without a new agreement, look at NFL this past year

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Ok, but what if there's no new CBA until like..july 4th. That could still screws stuff up for us couldn't it. Not knowing if we're gunna be able to completely drop gomez, we may not be able to pursue certain players because we won;t know if we have the cap room
We won't know.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
pretty sure you cant have free agent signings without a new agreement, look at NFL this past year
Free agency actually starts before the agreement is up so NHL teams could be signing players without knowing what the CBA has in store.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote