HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/BUF] Hodgson and Sulzer for Z. Kassian and Gragnani

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Obviously the twins will be re-signed till the 40 now.
Dear God I hope not.

vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Can someone explain how this makes the Canucks a grittier / tougher team? The way I see it, unless Kassian displaces Malhotra/Lapierre/Raymond, Kassian basically just subs in for the Bitz/Duco/Weise role and only plays 6-9 minutes.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Raymond
Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Bitz/Kassian/Duco/Weise

How does playing Zach Kassian (a physical player) over playing Byron Bitz, Dale Weise or Mike Duco (all physical players), make us a tougher team right now?

Kassian was only getting 4th line minutes in Buffalo, does he somehow displace a Malhotra or maybe Raymond in the playoffs? I don't see it.
This year? Maybe not so much. Long term I think the plan is to fit him into the top 6 hopefully.
Short term we replace a third line that was defensively weak with a third line that gives up some offence but is defensively much stronger. Hopefully that takes some of the load of Kesler to shut down the top lines and leaves him better able to have a long and productive playoff run. He's broken down in the playoffs almost every year. I think Hodgson just didn't fit on the third line this year.

Old
AlexandreBurrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Hodgson trade looks terrible for this year and the next atleast (aka Stanley Cup window). He always comes through with big goals against tough teams.
Yah, he could do it 5 on 5

Old
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Gragnani might end up being better than Kassian. Plus 10 on a bad team

Old
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyGODgson View Post
So...uh..can I get a name change? lol
Haha I'm in the same boat

Old
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Another point:

THis is also a slap in the face to Hodgson, who worked so hard to overcome his injures and make the NHL roster and was willing to accept whatever role the Canucks gave him to play. If it looked like he was really starting to struggle in that 3rd line role, fine. At worst, send him down to the AHL. It would have been a HUGE boost for the Wolves and at least he still would have been part of the organization.

I don't buy for a second that Hodgson wanted out. He sounded distraught in his interview and plus, why would he want out? He found a niche on the best team in hockey that just went to the SCF last year and will be contending for the Cup again last year. He wasn't a spoiled brat who whines about ice time either, so it's not like he was willing to give up his spot on a contender just to go to a team on which he could have a higher role.
Not really. Sending him down is a slap to the face. He can now try to move up the line up which wasn't happening with Kesler and Hank playing C.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
Gragnani might end up being better than Kassian
Spoken like someone who has never seen Kassian play.

And guys, I just shelled out big bucks for a Hodgson jersey a month ago. I'm a worse state than those of you who need a name change. Hopefully Kassian just takes 9 so I can change the nameplate.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Pseudonymous

I think if Kassian starts off well and manages to work his way onto the booth and kesler line and replace raymond who is good defensively enough to go onto the third and fourth lines, i think raymonds production can easily give our third or fourth line a boost which makes up for losing hodgson.. well then that would make this trade a HUGE win...

heres to hoping... hes got enough raw talent that its not completely unimaginable for him to suddenly step it up with high end players.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Frank Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Gillis talking about his trade deadline moves. Also @ 1:25, footage of some Canucks saying their farewells to Cody.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...id=6&id=160765
Steven Reinprecht. Haven't heard that name in a while.

Old
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonavision View Post
Link? Clip? Thanks
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...id=DL|VAN|home

Old
nucks88

vCash: 2576
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Can someone explain how this makes the Canucks a grittier / tougher team? The way I see it, unless Kassian displaces Malhotra/Lapierre/Raymond, Kassian basically just subs in for the Bitz/Duco/Weise role and only plays 6-9 minutes.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Raymond
Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Bitz/Kassian/Duco/Weise

How does playing Zach Kassian (a physical player) over playing Byron Bitz, Dale Weise or Mike Duco (all physical players), make us a tougher team right now?

Kassian was only getting 4th line minutes in Buffalo, does he somehow displace a Malhotra or maybe Raymond in the playoffs? I don't see it.
How about we let AV handle the lines and minutes and see how everything sorts out over the next few games? You can't judge a player until he is slotted into a system and a plan.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Karl Hungus

Still digesting this trade. Losing Hodgson is a shock but we got pieces that fit our existing team better than Hodgson would have. His offense was a luxury but his defensive play could have been an issue as we match up against other quality teams in the playoffs.

Kassian is going to start on the 4th line and have to show that he's better than Wiess and Bitz to stay on the team, imo. If he does carve out a spot he'll get a shot in the top six but he will have to produce to stay there. I see him as a bottom six, bubble player for now. For the future he's pretty much just what the doctor ordered.

It really comes down to Pahlsson being what AV wants over an offensive wild card in Hodgson. We've been down that road with Wellwood and it is clear that they prefer to not have to shelter anybody.

The biggest issue for me today is the lack of a solid defenseman who can eat some minutes. The price may have been high but I'm not thrilled about our defense over the course of a long playoff run.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Shankill Butcher

I don't understand this trade. If we were giving up Hodgson today, I would have thought the return would have made us an undoubtedly better hockey team. But instead we get a kid with huge upside but hasn't really proven anything.

I just don't like the timing of it. We're in win now mode and this doesn't seem logical, regardless of if Kassian works out long term.

Old
Carl Carlson

Well this trade was a shock. It's hard to wrap my head around as I have a lot of emotion attached. Loved Cody from the minute we drafted him. I was pumped watching him in the WJC and then seeing his emergence this season has been awesome. Now he's gone just like that. I don't know a lot about Kassian or Gragnani but I understand why Gillis traded for players like them. As a Canuck fan I really hope both players emerge as high end talents but man I'm gonna miss watching Cody.

Old
Pseudonymous

Im more confident in getting Gragnani than spacek and allen to be honest

Old
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
True, now we get to see Pahlsson and Malholtra getting minutes when we are down by a goal in the third.

Thats great.
Good point.

I remember AV drooling over Pahlsson when we lost to the Ducks a few years ago. Maybe AV had his hands in the deal.

I will go out on a limb here and say AV wanted Pahlsson.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

There is 0 Chance we traded hodgson for a guy who will "start on the fourth line" the guy is going to get a huge opportunity, he will be on the 2nd with kesler or third.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Gillis talking about his trade deadline moves. Also @ 1:25, footage of some Canucks saying farewell to Cody.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...id=6&id=160765
Now that was hard to take in.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:04 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankill Butcher View Post
I don't understand this trade. If we were giving up Hodgson today, I would have thought the return would have made us an undoubtedly better hockey team. But instead we get a kid with huge upside but hasn't really proven anything.

I just don't like the timing of it. We're in win now mode and this doesn't seem logical, regardless of if Kassian works out long term.
Kassian could even work out now, you just can't predict what he'll do. Put him with some skill players, and you could have a better player then Hodgson.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
NoLocus*

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread so far, almost makes me think Vancouver took a lesser deal just to send Hodgson to one of the worst cities in North America as a **** you.

Did Cody Hodgson ask for a trade?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02...k-for-a-trade/

Old
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

I think we all need to reel in our immediate expectations here - most likely Kassian will not be able to step into the top 6 for the playoff run. We'll probably run with Higgins/Booth/Kesler ahead of Hansen/Kassian/Lappy or Pahlsson. Kassian is even more raw than Cody He could possibly be an amazing acquisition for the future, but don't expect him to jump into the top 6 and light it up. It's just not likely *which makes this deal tough for the present, when we're gearing up for a run.

Old
corker

@(*^&$)*&%*!!!!!!!

This is the worst day for me as a Canuck fan in a really, really long time.
Perhaps I am over reacting, but at this moment, I am so very angry. I am never happy when I like my team less... but today's moves make me like my team less. I don't think that has happened since Mike Keenan was running the show. I'm sure much of this has been said already but serious...

How does this trade make us better now?
How does this trade make us better in the future?
Why are we trading a sure thing for potential?
IF, and IF we were to move Cody, why was it not for something that would make us better for this years cup run?
How does this at all help our depth for the Playoffs?

What the @&Y$)(*&!!

I just don't understand. I wont even talk to people today because I'm afraid I will project my anger on them, and don't want face the inevitable questions about why the Canucks did it.

I think Gragnani is going to end up being the better piece in this trade for us. I fear Kassian is just a huge question mark, who has yet to show any sign of living up to his potential. This reminds me of the old days when the Canucks would pass up on drafting talent, for drafting size.

#*@&^$%&!!!!

Okay... I'm going to go listen to some meditation tapes and try and calm down.

Old
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
I'm not liking this trade right now but I'll reserve my final decision after I see Kassian play for a little while.

Sounds like a quote from the Grabner/ Ballard deal thread

Old
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLocus View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread so far, almost makes me think Vancouver took a lesser deal just to send Hodgson to one of the worst cities in North America as a **** you.

Did Cody Hodgson ask for a trade?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02...k-for-a-trade/
Not at all, it was just Kuzma during the interview being a ***** and saying that if you don't answer it, we'll just start speculating on it.

Gillis could have put the fire out, but it doesn't mean any of what Kuzma 'speculated' is true either.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
CorvetteClayton

Is Kassian gonna be on the team right away or down on the farm??

Closed Thread