HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
what kind of return is a "PIECE OF ****" getting these days? just curious....sounds like you want a nice return for a player you think stinks

more HF nitwittery

Wideman sucks...meaning, roughly, he has no place on this team after this season and rightfully so. Circumstances are circumstances and he could have returned a 1st + easily. That doesn't mean he isn't a very flawed player.

Also think it's pretty funny that you're so bent out of shape over my post earlier that McPhee should be fired on the spot. I've been a big fan of the guy, but his time has absolutely run out. Even if he had made moves today, that would almost definitely be the case. He had an opportunity to make one last case for himself, to show something, and he didn't even try.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
WanderingCapsFan

So the future is:

Ovechkin @ $10+ for 25 goals a year.

Backstrom may be done.

Green is injury prone.

Hamrlik and Knuble won't play, but we won't trade them.

So so goaltending.

GMGM does nothing.

Yikes.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Hey now, Ovi's only 9.5+, so everything's peachy.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
There are posters that just hate GMGM....its that simple. Im convinced, short of highway robbery type of trade anything he does/doesnt do today would be bashed...

"no moves, what a coward"

"he traded player X for player Y! what a terrible move....he would have been better off doing nothing"

people seriously said in this thread he should be "fired on the spot" for not making trades today. Someone with that outlook will never agree with anything he does short of getting 99 in his prime for a 5th round pick......even then im not convinced they would like that move.

Hyperbole, much?

Of course he should finish the season. But really, no further.

That said, I wouldnt have been upset in the least had he been canned today, but I would never have expected it, nor demanded it. GMGM's teams have failed when it matters, Mothra.

But I know you know that.

Old
Carlzner

Quote:
what kind of return is a "PIECE OF ****" getting these days? just curious....sounds like you want a nice return for a player you think stinks

more HF nitwittery
You don't think the 5th defenseman in scoring would get us a hefty return?
Hah.

Old
G3 LesPaul

McPhee said he didn't want futures or picks and it makes sense.

We trade Hammer erskine or Knuble and we get no players back. Now we have no depth on the chart just in case someone plays like crap or gets hurt. We all know you need depth in the playoffs

I was bummed too. But I completely understand why

Old
02-27-2012, 09:04 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Someone with that outlook will never agree with anything he does short of getting 99 in his prime for a 5th round pick.
Make it a 6th, and we have a deal

Old
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
You don't think the 5th defenseman in scoring would get us a hefty return?
Hah.
as often as people on this forum post that he sucks, i'd question that for sure.

you cant have it both ways. he sucks and i want him off the team on one hand and on the other hand he will return a kings ransom

Old
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
My point is, the 1st round isn't suppose to be deep. Draft picks can take years or never work out. Wideman is an all-star. We should keep him if we can fit him on the books.
Don't misunderstand me; I mean this as rudely as possible.

What in the hell is the thought process behind retaining Wideman? He plays RD and will be making in the neighborhood of $5 million on a long term deal.

Who does he replace: Green, Carlson or Orlov? If your answer is Orlov, how much icetime is there for a 3D behind a Green who averages 25 minutes when healthy and Carlson who averages 23 minutes.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

You have a chance to dump a $3.5M 35yo+ contract non-regular you do it. Period. You don't ask for pie in the ****ing sky for that player or hold on to them for the sake of some equally unrealistic long push. That is irresponsible.

That the player also popped off about the coach is just icing on the cake.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:09 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
as often as people on this forum post that he sucks, i'd question that for sure.

you cant have it both ways. he sucks and i want him off the team on one hand and on the other hand he will return a kings ransom
Gaustad sucks and he returned a king's ransom. Oduya sucks and he got a great return. Is this so hard to grasp?

Old
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

But that essay about GMGM being courageous to take a knee is putting the absolute best possible spin on it. As if it were basically written by GMGM himself. What isn't said is that his own job security is a major issue and that becomes a strong counterforce to any sort of aggressive selling or truly long-term planning. Part of why he wouldnt sell is that he is still hoping for the Hail Mary playoff run which would save his job.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

He'd better plan on keeping wideman... And trading one of green, Orlov, Carlson as I suggested an idea a few weeks ago.

That would at least show a plan.

But come on.... You know that's not it. That chess and we play.... Candyland.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
You have a chance to dump a $3.5M 35yo+ contract non-regular you do it. Period. You don't ask for pie in the ****ing sky for that player or hold on to them for the sake of some equally unrealistic long push. That is irresponsible.

Ok let's say you dump hammer for a bag of pucks. What of man of glass gets hurt again? What if sarge starts to blow? Now we only have 1 extra D man and it's a non puck mover. You go into the playoffs with 6 D man. Not good

Old
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Old
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You go into playoffs with this C lineup..... It's not good period.

Hail Mary.... Exactly!

Old
DrPP

vCash: 504
So the Caps have about 40 mil in contracts for next year and 19 mil of it is in bad contracts with 4 players and Sloan buyout money? Not one of those bad contracts was moved. Sounds like a plan. GMGM should be fired. The whole organization is headed for the toilet.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There are posters that just hate GMGM....its that simple. Im convinced, short of highway robbery type of trade anything he does/doesnt do today would be bashed...

"no moves, what a coward"

"he traded player X for player Y! what a terrible move....he would have been better off doing nothing"

people seriously said in this thread he should be "fired on the spot" for not making trades today. Someone with that outlook will never agree with anything he does short of getting 99 in his prime for a 5th round pick......even then im not convinced they would like that move.
The anger towards McPhee is about one thing. 14 years of failure and watching a team seemingly on the brink of being a regular and serious contender, suddenly regress with alarming speed.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The only trail that makes sense to me is Ted telling gmgm not to buy. And somehow subtly or directly told him he's living or dying with this roster.... And he could sell if he likes.

And if that's the sequence... Ted's the idiot and gmgm is the self-interested party.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
The only trail that makes sense to me is Ted telling gmgm not to buy. And somehow subtly or directly told him he's living or dying with this roster.... And he could sell if he likes.

And if that's the sequence... Ted's the idiot and gmgm is the self-interested party.
Given the increase in ticket prices, I don't think George had permission to sell. Possibly a smart way to run a business (if you're not thinking ahead more than a quarter at a time), but not a great way to run a sports team.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

My only thought is that McPhee believes he can move him after the season. Either that, or he really is incompetant. As cutthroat as we've seen him act about players wanting out, I'm surprised he keeps a guy who called the coach out in the press. Reeks of rudderless ship.

Old
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Sort of not too surprised that overall a pretty dud trade deadline overall. Pretty much like 5 or so teams clearly not in the playoff race.

After the caps won the past two games figured that dumping for futures likely was not going to happen so not too surprised at 'taking a knee'.

HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think the proper analogy is to not split 8's and stand still why'll the dealer has a 7 showing.

Old
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Ok let's say you dump hammer for a bag of pucks. What of man of glass gets hurt again? What if sarge starts to blow? Now we only have 1 extra D man and it's a non puck mover. You go into the playoffs with 6 D man. Not good
Cue Jim Mora Sr:

Playoffs, you're talking about playoffs!!?? Dont talk to me about the Playoffs!!!!

We arent going anywhere in the playoffs! Get it thru your head! "Team disfunction/malfunction" couldnt go squat when they had a gelled, cohesive group. They have none of that now, and may not *even make* the damn playoffs!

How about 3.5m reasons of cap space to head into next season, and someone getting fired for acting like an ass head and calling out his boss in public? How about that reason?

Good lord people

Old
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I don't think you can credit George for doing nothing. I could have done nothing, most every fan here would recognize bad value and pass. It's the deadline, and there wasn't much supply. It was easy to do nothing.

It's hard to address the problems of the team. If there is a bad locker room presence, a bad signing, a power keg in the room versus a beer keg, you have take your lumps sometimes.

I do blame him for waiting far too long to actually make a move, over a year. This team has been through the ringer that past 20 months. The only skater he sent out was Flash, and of course canned Bruce. That's it, right? Those were the only 2 problems he saw and addressed.

Has a GM here ever sat 2 vets he planned on trading, and get stuffed? I don't remember it happening. I now wonder about potential problems within the locker room. Probably a non issue if we win, but it may be a bad example for the kids. The mentors shaking their heads at the coach and GM.

The team just reeks of bad chemistry off the ice, and not much better on the ice.

Closed Thread