HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal to join Rangers at year's end?...Sammy speculates

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
I think the team is rebuilding, but I don't if I'd call it rebuilt yet. Not by a long shot, there are still a lot of unknowns and other areas that need to fall into place over the next season or two.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think the moves out will probably make more sense during the offseason and not during the last bit of this season.
But a number of the most likely candidates to be moved are on one year contracts. It's trade them this year or not at all for them.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
But a number of the most likely candidates to be moved are on one year contracts. It's trade them this year or not at all for them.
And right now I wouldn't. I just don't think 2-4th round picks is worth the potential team chemisty and playoff experience it'd provide for the young players on the team.

If it comes down trading a few lower picks for an extra round of playoff experience for Lundy, Prucha and Tyutiin than I make that trade in a heart beat.

Also I don't think it's totally out of the qustion that one or more of these guys might not be back next season for the right price.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Fletch

Two fourth round picks aren't...

but a guy like Rucinsky once garnered a second rounder. That makes it a bit more tempting, albeit in a not so deep draft (unless you do your homework).

Old
01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but a guy like Rucinsky once garnered a second rounder. That makes it a bit more tempting, albeit in a not so deep draft (unless you do your homework).
Problem is I don't think you'd get that kind of return this year and the past teams were out of the playoffs as opposed to being in a position to not only make the playoffs but potentially go beyond the first round.

To me what really matters is getting that kind of experience for guys like Lundqvist and Tyutin, Prucha, Moore, Hollweg, Betts heck maybe even Staal or another young player.

Chemisty is hard to come by, and I personally am not that keen on trading key memebers of that chemistry heading into the playoffs. With or without an additional third of fourth round pick (which is what the return will be) this team can add quality prospects.

These guys being two years older and no lockout looming, will have an impact on trades. I just don't particularly think some of the deals would be worth it. The chemistry that might steal a round just isnt worth the 100th overall pick in the draft for me.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Fletch

I agree on chemistry...

although I think there are pairs of guys with chemistry and a couple guys leaving may not upset that. Jagr doesn't do as well without Straka (if not for anything else, I think he likes having the guy around). Betts and Ward play very well together. Moore and Ortmeyer mesh well together. The rest, to me, are interchangeable and there really hasn't been sustainable trios or other pairings that have excelled. All have worked in some way at some time; and all have not worked at some time. Even the duo mentioned haven't worked at times, but much more often than not, they have. You can get a guy like Sykora and he can work. And let's face it, Jagr, goaltending and penalty killing have to be going for it to work anyways, which again, is why I mentioned the pairs as being key.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
although I think there are pairs of guys with chemistry and a couple guys leaving may not upset that. Jagr doesn't do as well without Straka (if not for anything else, I think he likes having the guy around). Betts and Ward play very well together. Moore and Ortmeyer mesh well together. The rest, to me, are interchangeable and there really hasn't been sustainable trios or other pairings that have excelled. All have worked in some way at some time; and all have not worked at some time. Even the duo mentioned haven't worked at times, but much more often than not, they have. You can get a guy like Sykora and he can work. And let's face it, Jagr, goaltending and penalty killing have to be going for it to work anyways, which again, is why I mentioned the pairs as being key.

I agree which is why I wouldn't mind maybe moving Rucchin if the right deal came along.

Rucinsky not as much only because I think the team lacks right now on the left side.

I don't have any small trade is going to make anything click any better and I'm leary of putting too much dependence on kids coming from the AHL to step in and be on ice leaders down the stretch. I think the Rangers need to be careful because one trade an injury and this team's dynamic changes greatly.

Old
01-28-2006, 07:28 PM
dedalus

Quote:
And right now I wouldn't. I just don't think 2-4th round picks is worth the potential team chemisty and playoff experience it'd provide for the young players on the team .... Chemisty is hard to come by, and I personally am not that keen on trading key memebers of that chemistry heading into the playoffs.
See I don't see this as terribly risky.

Quote:
Also I don't think it's totally out of the qustion that one or more of these guys might not be back next season for the right price.
Are you saying you think they'll be re-signed over the summer? I'm not clear on your meaning here.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
See I don't see this as terribly risky.

Are you saying you think they'll be re-signed over the summer? I'm not clear on your meaning here.

Depends on who is moved for the risk.

And yes I think some might be considered for resigning.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Depends on who is moved for the risk.

And yes I think some might be considered for resigning.
Straka and Sykora definately, Rucinsky not so much.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Straka and Sykora definately, Rucinsky not so much.

Agreed, though I dont like the team depth on the LW so i'd rather hold onto him if the return is gonna be a lower round pick.

Old
01-29-2006, 07:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Agreed, though I dont like the team depth on the LW so i'd rather hold onto him if the return is gonna be a lower round pick.
Where is there room for Rucinsky if Straka is the LW on Jagr's off-wing and Prucha plays his proper position? I think that resigning Rucinsky will be ramming a square peg into a round hole. If Straka and Sykora are resigned, as I expect them to be, the top 2 lines should have wings of Straka, Jagr, Prucha & Sykora. You would figure that the bottom 4 wings would be filled w/ Ward, Ortmeyer, Hollweg + 1. The one other being Neimo if he truly signed a 2 year deal and will not be traded off, or even someone like Dawes, since he is showing that he seems to be NHL ready.

Old
01-29-2006, 08:59 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Where is there room for Rucinsky if Straka is the LW on Jagr's off-wing and Prucha plays his proper position? I think that resigning Rucinsky will be ramming a square peg into a round hole. If Straka and Sykora are resigned, as I expect them to be, the top 2 lines should have wings of Straka, Jagr, Prucha & Sykora. You would figure that the bottom 4 wings would be filled w/ Ward, Ortmeyer, Hollweg + 1. The one other being Neimo if he truly signed a 2 year deal and will not be traded off, or even someone like Dawes, since he is showing that he seems to be NHL ready.
It seems to me that everyone is assuming that because we don't trade a UFA, he will naturally re-sign with us.

Yeah, Straka and Sykora appear to be happy playing here, but there's no guarantee that they won't be offered more to play for someone else next year and leave.

Old
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Yeah, Straka and Sykora appear to be happy playing here, but there's no guarantee that they won't be offered more to play for someone else next year and leave.
No, it's no guarantee, however, they seem to be very happy playing in the new Czech Republic, and that is not something that they will get anywhere else. In addition, the Czechs on this team seem to be immune to criticism and any type of accountability, so that is also something that will not happen on another team.

Closed Thread