HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Kopitar?

Old
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

vCash: 500
What's wrong with Kopitar?

Disclaimer: I love Kopitar. He has carried the Kings on his back during long stretches of his career, and continues to give a good effort in all zones. That said,

2 goals in the month of February

3 goals in his last 17

1 multi-goal game this year (second game of the year overseas)

What happened? What's it going to take to get this guy going? Mike Fisher has more goals than him. Assuming he doesn't score in this Nashville game (hopefully I just jinxed it), he's got 9 straight games without a goal during the most important stretch of the season.

Again, not throwing Kopitar under the bus or saying that the rest of the team isn't accountable as well. But I'm curious to hear your theories as to what the **** is going on with Anze in particular.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Disclaimer: I love Kopitar. He has carried the Kings on his back during long stretches of his career, and continues to give a good effort in all zones. That said,

3 goals in his last 17

What happened? What's it going to take to get this guy going? Mike Fisher has more goals than him. Assuming he doesn't score in this Nashville game (hopefully I just jinxed it), he's got 9 straight games without a goal during the most important stretch of the season.

Again, not throwing Kopitar under the bus or saying that the rest of the team isn't accountable as well. But I'm curious to hear your theories as to what the **** is going on.
He is too god damn worried about defense and is too scared to play in the middle.

Teams can force him wide and know he's going behind the net looking to pass and will never drive the net with the puck

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Just wait until the next regime to come in and stress a balanced system. Hopefully next season will be it.

Time for Lombardi hocke to leave LA. Kings have a nice roster to build with, just need management to enter the 21st century.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Pyschological trauma brought by his injury last year, for all we know. He's not skating the way he used to.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
johnjm22

The same question could be asked of Doughty and Richards.

Kopitar needs to simplify. I think he's over thinking. When he first came into the league he would rush the puck to the net as soon as he got it. Someone needs to tell him that he's a better goal scorer than playmaker. He's better when he's trying score, and others around him benafit from the opportunities it creates.

Trust your instincts Kopi.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The same question could be asked of Doughty and Richards.
I knew this was coming, which is why I specifically addressed and qualified that in the OP, which is about Anze Kopitar.

But I'll play along. Doughty: VERY young Defenseman with plenty of upside who has been fine for us, despite not putting up huge numbers... but he's a defenseman. As a broadcast not long ago pointed out, we get an absurd percentage of our scoring from our D. Richards is finding his way in a new system with all new players and skated with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Penner for a zillion games.

I'm interested in Kopitar for the purposes of this thread.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
moosehead81

Kopitar's a big guy who does well protecting the puck along the boards but he's got to drive the net more. Let Brown do a little more along the boards. I think Kopitar would also do well with a guy like Carter but, as I've said before, he just doesn't seem to be able to find anybody to dish the puck to or he doesn't trust the guys he's with to do anything with it if he does get it to them. He should also cut back his average shift time 5-10 seconds- he often looks bagged at the end of his shifts which, to my mind, are a little long.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

He's having his worst season as a King... Hopefully he'll learn from it and come back better, like Spezza did. But right now you might as well pair him with two defensive guys and use him as Handzus.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a system wide issue. Aside from Williams, everyone's scoring is down. If you look at the guys who were expected to provide (again, aside from Williams), Kopitar's scoring is down the least.

From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Kopitar had 297 points in 321 games. This year, 51 points in 62 games. Down 11.1%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Brown had 226 points in 322 games. This year, 35 points in 62 games. Down 19.6%.
From 2009-10 to 2010-11 (since he broke out), Doughty had 99 points in 158 games. This year, 27 points in 57 games. Down 24.4%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Richards had 283 points in 315 games. This year, 31 points in 54 games. Down 36.1%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Stoll had 167 points in 310 games. This year, 18 points in 58 games. Down 42.4%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Penner had 192 points in 323 games. This year, 13 points in 45 games. Down 51.4%.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
It's a system wide issue. Aside from Williams, everyone's scoring is down. If you look at the guys who were expected to provide (again, aside from Williams), Kopitar's scoring is down the least.

From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Kopitar had 297 points in 321 games. This year, 51 points in 62 games. Down 11.1%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Brown had 226 points in 322 games. This year, 35 points in 62 games. Down 19.6%.
From 2009-10 to 2010-11 (since he broke out), Doughty had 99 points in 158 games. This year, 27 points in 57 games. Down 24.4%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Richards had 283 points in 315 games. This year, 31 points in 54 games. Down 36.1%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Stoll had 167 points in 310 games. This year, 18 points in 58 games. Down 42.4%.
From 2007-08 to 2010-11, Penner had 192 points in 323 games. This year, 13 points in 45 games. Down 51.4%.
Great post. Thanks

Old
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post

3 goals in his last 17

Again, not throwing Kopitar under the bus or saying that the rest of the team isn't accountable as well. But I'm curious to hear your theories as to what the **** is going on with Anze in particular.
His hands.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
I like to call him Anze Fropitov. Big Creampuff.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Asheru

Hurt a bit I think.

Then again there are so many "What is wrong with" threads about so many Kings players I can't think it's a coincidence.

They've trained him up as a defensive center and want him to score at the same levels.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Sometimes people need to be thrown under the bus...

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
He's not skating the way he used to.
Of course he is skating the way he always has: Around the perimeter. Only time he went to the net and surprise, the Kings score.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:07 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

He's too concerned with playing defense and dishing the puck. He needs to start taking over shifts and backing the D off. Unfortunately, he has two shooters on his wings so he's kinda become the de facto passer on the line.

Most importantly, he needs to stop hanging out along the boards like a kid's first time at a roller rink.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
He's too concerned with playing defense and dishing the puck. He needs to start taking over shifts and backing the D off. Unfortunately, he has two shooters on his wings so he's kinda become the de facto passer on the line.

Most importantly, he needs to stop hanging out along the boards like a kid's first time at a roller rink.
A combination of a laughable archaic system, TM coaching and unwillingness to go into the high scoring areas.

Kopitar needs to be re-wired after spending most of his career with Murray and Sutter. I am with KINGS17 in thinking this summer Kopitar may be moved, if Dean is retained he may just wash his hands of the inconsistent play, and a new regime may like what they could get for him and go forward with Richards and Carter down the middle.

I think a deal involving Vanek and Kopitar, give and take each way could be good for both struggling teams.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:23 PM
bobafettish*

I think he's become accustomed and comfortable with mediocrity. I also think tm did more harm than good.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
I think he's become accustomed and comfortable with mediocrity. I also think tm did more harm than good.
The problem is Lombardi and these coaches he brings in try and turn every player into a defensive player.

There is nothing wrong with a purely offensive player. I think the Kings had that in Kopitar and they tried to make him into something he was never meant to be and it killed his offensive game.

I love Kopitar and usually defend him, but I think it may be best for both parties if the Kings move him this summer for an elite offensive winger like Vanek.

Carter is much better at center and the Kings can go forward with him and Richards down the middle.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Hollywood

Once a coach has the stones to move Kopitar to the wing then he will truly flourish. I am waiting for it to happen...He's never truly been a Proper #1 Centre. This is highlighted by his annual inconsistencies and droughts. He should be a winger with a play making centre accentuating his sniping ability and his puck possession abilities.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I am with KINGS17 in thinking this summer Kopitar may be moved, if Dean is retained he may just wash his hands of the inconsistent play
I'd rather wash my hands of Dean. I'm laughing at the idea that Kopitar's the problem. Give him less defensive responsibilities and add more forward depth all around.

Or fire DL before he gets rid of our best forward.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
I'd rather wash my hands of Dean. I'm laughing at the idea that Kopitar's the problem. Give him less defensive responsibilities and add more forward depth all around.

Or fire DL before he gets rid of our best forward.
I would also rather see what Anze can do outside of DL's laughably bad system, I am just throwing potential scenarios out there.

I thought for sure DL was gone if this team missed the playoffs, but I am not so sure after the Carter deal. Would AEG really let a potential lame-duck GM add that much salary two months before he would be fired.

I think TL may have drank to much kool-aid or bought Dean's snake oil enough to keep Dean another year.

That or AEG may be to cheap to fire him with a year left, although it is harder to call AEG cheap when they pretty much gave Dean a blank check this season.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Asheru

Vanek will be what, 29? And we would possibly swap 24-25 year old Kopitar for him? What guarantee would we have that Vanek would not also struggle in this defensive framework, like so many others?

How many years of stagnant 5v5 scoring are we going to have before we start looking at a bigger picture? I don't hate Lombardi at all, but this is not all on Kopitar. He may not be Malkin, he may not be able carry a team all by himself, but he's still a great player that most teams in the league would fall over themselves to acquire. Exchanging him for some other forward would more likely than not set us back.

This is a bad idea.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:08 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

He needs to get off the walls more often.

Get him one of these trainers.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Fripp

He's thinking too much. At every decision he's shutting down his instincts and going with system. He's not imposing himself on the opposition and creating anything. I don't think his unwillingness to go to the middle is fear based - I think its concern he will put himself in bad defensive position. His creative soul has been crushed.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote