HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
88 wets

vCash: 500
Ryan Johansen

Why is he the only player being held accountable on a last place club?

Isnt now the time to let him play and work the kinks out?

88 wets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Trust me, we're wondering the same thing.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 wets View Post

Preaching to the choir dude.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Because Todd Richards is a horrible coach/Scott Howson is a horrible GM/any other reason you can think of.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Elever
Hth

I noticed that he was playing wing in the Avs game....wtf? I'm guessing they'll continue to use him there?

I can understand Tyler Seguin for example being used on the wing on Boston last season where you had lots of centre depth but if you're a rebuilding team playing Letestu as a centre rather than RyJo then something's wrong.

Btw, is he still actually 6'3? He appears taller than that when you watch him.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
EDM

You forgot MacJr. is a disgrace as an owner.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

It's a good thing that rookies just can't come to the big club and feel entitled to ice time because of their draft position anymore. That said, the Carter, Vermette and Pahlsson trades clear the way for Brassard, RyJo and Letestu to show what they have.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
It's a good thing that rookies just can't come to the big club and feel entitled to ice time because of their draft position anymore.
How do we get that sentiment to jibe with Atkinson on the second line on the day he was called up? Don't get me wrong, I like Cam and hope he has a bright future with us, but if I'm Johansen, I have no idea what in the **** is going on.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
The bottom line is that the kids need to play now in order to gain experience. You sort out playing time next year, when everything starts anew

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourIgnoreList View Post
How do we get that sentiment to jibe with Atkinson on the second line on the day he was called up? Don't get me wrong, I like Cam and hope he has a bright future with us, but if I'm Johansen, I have no idea what in the **** is going on.
Where is Atkinson now and where has he been most of the season? There ya go.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourIgnoreList View Post
Cam's been keeping his head down working his butt off in Springfield and scoring lots of goals. I'd say he earned his way into the lineup.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
CaliBuck
Mission: Playoffs

Because it's the Blue Jackets job to ruin prospects one year at a time.

CaliBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Cam's been keeping his head down working his butt off in Springfield and scoring lots of goals. I'd say he earned his way into the lineup.
Yep. It's his time to shine.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 wets View Post

Because Richards needs beat?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Yep. It's his time to shine.
Aswell as Johansens. They got to bring some one else up right? Johan needs to be playing center for the rest of the year. Nvm forgot we picked up Boyce and we have the stud Aaron Johnson who can play any position bc he's just that amazing.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Doctor Spin

(I posted this on Friday's GDT)

Re: #19

For what it's worth, my son and I spent the whole game last night, really focused on Johansen's shifts with particular emphasis on his conditioning. As the game moved on, it was clear that this kid is just not in NHL shape. Particularly starting in the mid-point (around 20 seconds of each shift), his crispness and form start really slipping and he really doesn't look like he is up to handling the defensive responsibilities of a second-line center.

You can contrast this to Gilles and Mac who seem to be much more together during all of their 4th line minutes. I know this stings for the kid and those of us with front-line savior hopes for his year, but Richards may be doing the right thing by limiting his time this year and saving us from Bruleing yet another prospect.

I'm not advocating sending him back to junior to play with kids his age, but easing him into the grownup league seems a lot more consistent with where his physical development is today. FWIW

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's a good thing that rookies just can't come to the big club and feel entitled to ice time because of their draft position anymore. That said, the Carter, Vermette and Pahlsson trades clear the way for Brassard, RyJo and Letestu to show what they have.
I've seen a few people harp this but it's a load of BS and has absolutely nothing to do with it. Atkinson just got called up and played on the 2nd line. Atkinson started the season on the 2nd line. Gillies a veteran of barely over 1 season came in and got put on the 2nd line. Vermette and Umberger are guys that have both been awful yet they have been given 2nd line duties all season.

There isn't any of this entitled bs, it's just incompetence by a coaching staff. If you aren't going to play him on the 2nd line that is fine, but to not play him at the position you drafted him at, at all this season? That screams idiocy. Why keep him if you aren't going to even make an attempt to develop him the right way. Rookies aren't entitled to playing time based on draft status is fine and dandy, but veterans who aren't producing should be? my god...

Johansen has looked absolutely terrible since the all-star game and I don't think it has anything to do with him, I think it has everything to do with the position the coach is putting him in on a nightly basis. When he finally gets a shot to play he looks like he's out there afraid to make mistakes. Every time he touches the puck it's off of his stick within seconds because of this. 3 points since Richards took over, that should say a lot about this head coach, this franchise is successfully screwing over the 2nd best prospect not in the NHL from just a season ago. You can't use the Boston model if the rookie can't learn from the press box by watching a bunch of clowns on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post

For what it's worth, my son and I spent the whole game last night, really focused on Johansen's shifts with particular emphasis on his conditioning. As the game moved on, it was clear that this kid is just not in NHL shape. Particularly starting in the mid-point (around 20 seconds of each shift), his crispness and form start really slipping and he really doesn't look like he is up to handling the defensive responsibilities of a second-line center.

You can contrast this to Gilles and Mac who seem to be much more together during all of their 4th line minutes. I know this stings for the kid and those of us with front-line savior hopes for his year, but Richards may be doing the right thing by limiting his time this year and saving us from Bruleing yet another prospect.

I'm not advocating sending him back to junior to play with kids his age, but easing him into the grownup league seems a lot more consistent with where his physical development is today. FWIW
I agree he looked tired last game, but I disagree with your overall message. Yeah he did look gassed last night, but I've never seen him look like that in other games. Sure he will get gassed from time to time, but generally he is able to skate up and down the ice fine with the exception of the shifts where he still tends to get caught out to long.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
Because Todd Richards is a horrible coach/Scott Howson is a horrible GM/any other reason you can think of.
Howson doesnt do the roster, it is a coach work and he isnt horrible, IMO he is good. But Richards is ECHL coach and I hope he will out to the end of the season or maximum after the season.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Doubt. Boyce will play the fourth line center, MacKenzie the third line center and Johansen on wing, of course, Mayorov, Calvert or Kubalik wont get a chance because A. Johnson will have to play, similar Goloubef not because either A. Johnson or Lebda will have to play. We will destroy other prospects and will be content. If I was Yakupov/Grigorenko, I wouldnt play here.

I exactly know whats happen. Richards will want his job here so he will stay players like MacKenzie, Boyce, A. Johnson, Lebda and he will try win.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:11 AM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Howson doesnt do the roster, IMO he is good
You're like the flat Earth people when it comes to Howson. I don't understand it.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
NovaScotiaCBJ

RyJo would have had expectations for himself coming into the season. He would've had plans of contending for the Calder and now he's pulling in fourth line minutes and you can't tell me that doesn't affect his play. Seeing Cam come up and play second line mins would kill his confidence. Hopefully it won't ruin him for next year too.

NovaScotiaCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Cam may be a rookie, but he's also 22. Ryan is 19. There is significant physical development that can occur between those ages for all men (putting on muscle mass - or a beer belly depending on what you're doing ).

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
blahblah

One of these days, I would like to understanding conditioning at the pro sports level.

It's been five months since the beginning of the season. Johansen has been scratched a lot. It's amazing how much strength and conditioning you can do if you focus on it, even if it's only 4 hours a week.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
EspenK

I'd go with following for our centers for the rest of the year

Brass-Letestu-Mackenzie-Boyce

Bring someone up from the farm and hope Boll's foot gets better soon. Then Johansen can continue his development of how not to play hockey by watching from the press box.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post

I think this is spot on. I've been singing the same tune since the pre-season. He is capable of amazing play in small spurts but after a while he just kind of trails off - not making egregious mistakes but not being a difference maker either.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote