HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can we buy out Gomez in Offseason if Yes how much will it cost salary cap wise?

Old
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
So explain how Wade Redden's contract doesn't count against NYR's cap? He's got another 2 years or something.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...332602230.html

I don't see why we just can't bury Gomez. Where's the downside I'm missing?

Here's another article explaining how the Rangers don't have Redden's salary count against the cap.
http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2011/05...d-wade-redden/
Buying out a player and burying them in the minors are two different things.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
I don't understand the point of getting rid of him at any cost.

Yeah he's vastly overpaid... Nobody wants him, and I don't believe anyone would take him on re-entry waivers.

I think it would be better to keep him on the roster. He's not the worst player on the team and can still be useful..
Useful?

If we offered $7.3 million a year to either Parise or Suter, they would probably take it.

Who would you rather have?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Useful?

If we offered $7.3 million a year to either Parise or Suter, they would probably take it.

That's not the question.

The team is stuck with Gomez and we can't get rid of his contract easily. Where do you go from that ?

Buy him out ? There would be consequences on the cap for a couple of years...
Send him to waivers or try to trade him ? Nobody wants him.
Send him to Hamilton ? That's an option but I doubt that's something the habs are considering. That's a lot of money.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
Hello guys, so how much would it cost to buy out Gomez contract, salary cap wise if we are unable to trade him? How much salary cap do we lose, and how much real money does he get?
Probably somewhere around 900 Million at this point, and we still owe the Rangers a few more first round picks and prospects. I think Gainey really wanted to make sure we got our guy.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Useful?

This is a very interesting question since we need both. I think this team needs a Ryan Suter more right now. I think back to early in the season and the number of games we lost after leading in the 3rd period. I can't help but think if our D held up whether this would have been a very different season. I'd be interested in knowing other thoughts.

Can we get Suter for less though than the 7.3 million you suggest?

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Stradale

Quote:
I don't understand the point of getting rid of him at any cost.

Yeah he's vastly overpaid... Nobody wants him, and I don't believe anyone would take him on re-entry waivers.

I think it would be better to keep him on the roster. He's not the worst player on the team and can still be useful..
Useful where? In what part of the game? You want a 7M$ playing on the 4th line?

How many of our NHL forward is actually worst than Gomez?

Even Mathieu Darche is better than Gomez on the PK, PP and ES. Top 6 or bottom 6.

How would we be better with a guy that cost 7.3M$, playing on the bottom 6 with practically no production at all. Even if he cost 2M$, its too much for what he brings to this team now.

Unless you mean we don't need to get rid of him for the remainder of the season, then ok. He will help us tank than he'd be useful but if you think we should keep him and are better with him next season, you're out of your mind.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Stradale

Quote:
That's not the question.

The team is stuck with Gomez and we can't get rid of his contract easily. Where do you go from that ?

Send him to Hamilton ? That's an option but I doubt that's something the habs are considering. That's a lot of money.
That's the best solution.

He will make 5.5M$ next season, its not THAT much.

Molson are paying him 7.5M$ this season and he gave us absolutely nothing. Not only that, the team are last, the Bell center is not as full even if its sold-out, we are not making the playoffs.. So that's also a lot of money lost.

So between having a player making 5.5M$ in salary and cost 7.3M$ on the salarial cap, on your 4th line that will give you 4-5 goals/20 pts or bury him in the AHL, still paying him 5.5M$ but save 7.3M$ on the cap and give it to one or two players that will help the team win and makes the playoffs (money), I don't think it would be that bad for the Molson.

If the Rangers can pay Redden 6.5M$ this season and 10M$ for the next 2 years to play in the AHL, and be in the 1st Conference, being a cup contender, I think the Habs could too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
That's not the question.

Buying out Gomez should be the absolute last resort.

First off, we must know what the plan is. If it's to keep tanking, then it doesn't even matter if he stays here as we need to suck.

Second, if the cap keeps rising, which is a possibility considering the canadian dollar and the move from Atlanta to Winnipeg, then some teams might start looking at Gomez in order to reach the cap floor. It could actually become a viable possibility considering Gomez's salary starts dropping next year and only has an extra one after that, while his cap hit remains high.
I think Gomez might become movable next year.

If not, then sending him down to the minors is the best solution. I don't think the Molson have an issue with spending money. I'm sure they would gladly bury 10M in the minors if the point is to get as most competitive as possible.
They just ditched out half a billion dollars for this team, and they won't make the POs in their first year as owners. I'm pretty sure they will do absolutely everything necessary to get the team in next year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Useful?

I think Suter would get that money elsewhere. And I really don't see why he comes here instead of to a contending team.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think Suter would get that money elsewhere. And I really don't see why he comes here instead of to a contending team.
7 million really isn't what it used to be in the NHL.

And a couple of years ago we saw Hossa turn down 8 million from Edmonton.

There's more to UFA's than just plopping a bunch of money on the table. They have to want to come.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

New CBA will be a new CBA. Owners have nothing against throwing money at a player to make his cap hit go away, NHLPA has nothing against players getting paid to go away. So this should happen. Drink your Coors/Molson this summer, and fund Montreal's Gomez-free future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

There's more to UFA's than just plopping a bunch of money on the table. They have to want to come.
True we've seen this. Montreal has to overpay to get UFAs, there are exceptions who prefer to play in Montreal but we ship those guys out...

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Send to Hamilton then put him on re-enrty waivers and some team will pick him up for 2.5m. While we pay the other half (2.5m). Problem solved, i wish it was this easy.
Not 100% sure how waivers work, but wouldn't the Habs be on the hook for half of SG's Cap Hit as well as the salary?

So, the choices under current CBA are

-Send SG to AHL or Europe. Habs on the hook for $10M cash outlay over 2 years. Cap hit = 0.

-Reentry waivers, SG picked up. Habs pay $5M. cap hit = 7.3M (3.65M per year for 2 yrs).
-Buyout at 2/3 salary. Habs pay 6.67M, cap hit = 11.3M spread over 4 years as described above.

Or just let him pay out the contract.

But if management wants Gomez gone, demotion to AHL is the only sensible option, the other options cost significant cap hit with not that great of a cash savings

Of course, it is easy for me to scoff at saving $3-5 million in real cash money.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
FF de Mars

At worst, send him to Europe or use the buy out clause of the new CBA. But realistically, his contract is expiring, only two years, after this one. And had a front loaded contract. I can see a team like the Islanders (who should draft a Dman this summer) bringing him in, as a veteran presence, hoping he can play like a second liner on a poor team. In conclusion, I don't think the situation is as bad as we think. We lost that trade, we all knew it the moment it happened, but I don't think his contract and his soul will haunt us forever.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
wedge

I don't want the team to buy him out. I don't know the amount it would be on the salary cap, but 4 years is soo long. I'd rather send him to the AHL or lose it on re-entry waivers.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Et le But

Yeah, he becomes movable next year. If not, bury him.

As much as I respect his attitude, he has to go at this point. He offers nothing, we have 3 (potentially 4 after this draft) better Cs already and his space just takes away from a more deserving kid. He might not be as lazy as say Cammalleri on defense but he's still a liability with his turnovers.

If Gomez is on the team next year I'll be very disappointed, since it probably means another year of tanking.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
gusfring

I will say the same thing this year that I said last year.

If Scott Gomez is still on this roster come September, we are in trouble.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
GeneralManager*

The habs generate the most revenue in the league along with the LAFFS. If the Rangers can bury a contract in the minors allowing them to spend to the cap limit, why can't we? If Molson is too cheap to bury gomez in the minors we should seriously get a petition going. Buying out his contract takes away our ability to spend to the cap limit and that's unacceptable!

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
Hello guys, so how much would it cost to buy out Gomez contract, salary cap wise if we are unable to trade him? How much salary cap do we lose, and how much real money does he get?

I see Kastitsyn doing really bad along with him, and I don't want to destroy another players career so isn't it best that we buy out his contarct then to demote him to minors?
Just send Gomez to ECHL get rid of his cap hit

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:31 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Bury him. **** wasting the cap.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Bury him. **** wasting the cap.
If I'm Molson, I buy him out = more money saved. I take the cap hit and deal with it rather than pay his full salary in the AHL.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
If I'm Molson, I buy him out = more money saved. I take the cap hit and deal with it rather than pay his full salary in the AHL.
more money saved? its OUR money he's playing with. if the rangers can bury redden why can't we do the same with gomez? trading gomez and burying redden has got the rags to where they are...

Old
02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
The habs generate the most revenue in the league along with the LAFFS. If the Rangers can bury a contract in the minors allowing them to spend to the cap limit, why can't we? If Molson is too cheap to bury gomez in the minors we should seriously get a petition going. Buying out his contract takes away our ability to spend to the cap limit and that's unacceptable!
Yea let's have the general mass, 99.9% of which have 0 experience in pro sports, influence hockey operations.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:45 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Yea let's have the general mass, 99.9% of which have 0 experience in pro sports, influence hockey operations.
Are you out to lunch? How is buying out a contract (which causes a substantial cap hit) a better handling of the gomez situation over demoting him to the AHL? The Canadiens are one of the few teams to generate a profit, in fact we generate a healthy profit every year because of the fans. How can you substantiate the saving a few million dollars from a multi millionaire so he can hinder the progress of a financially successful team that is funded by the hardcore fans that support it? Buy a clue.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:50 AM
noway

You will be able to trade him if you add enough assets to the deal.

noway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:54 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
You will be able to trade him if you add enough assets to the deal.
and what's the point of that? to set us further down into oblivion because our millionaire profitable franchise is too cheap to clean up their own mistake?