HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/BUF] Hodgson and Sulzer for Z. Kassian and Gragnani

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

vCash: 500
This is so lame. Listening to the radio..

Its hard to talk about this whacky deal.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHP95 View Post
You want Cody to lose 60% off his face off draws on the Kesler's line?? I don't get how Kesler has to move aside from his natural position to accomodate a rookie.
Kesler played pretty damn well on Sundin's wing. And could Kesler not take the draws for Hodgson?

02-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic View Post
Combined? In those 20 games:

Henrik had 10 PTS
Daniel had 13 PTS
Burrows had 11 PTS

Kesler had 16 PTS
Higgins had 5 PTS
Raymond had 5 PTS

They were still scoring
The Canucks were the 3rd worst scoring team in the playoffs after being the best offensive team in the reg season. Why? because the Sedins get shutdown with ease. Without Hodgson on the 3rd line, all of the pressure is on the 2nd line.

Old
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Kesler played pretty damn well on Sundin's wing. And could Kesler not take the draws for Hodgson?
So now Hodgson is Matt Sundin?

Old
JD12

Quote:
You think those numbers for Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Higgins and Raymond are acceptable from our top 6 forwards? And in Henrik and Daniel's case being our most expensive forwards? Look at the top liners +/- too.
And this has what to do with Hodgson?

Old
02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
The Canucks were the 3rd worst scoring team in the playoffs after being the best offensive team in the reg season. Why? because the Sedins get shutdown with ease. Without Hodgson on the 3rd line, all of the pressure is on the 2nd line.
I believe the injuries were bad enough and the canucks were a good enough team that it made this differential up.

Old
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
No, he's Yzerman/Sakic/Drury/Couture. God, get it right.

Old
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Because it was Mats Sundin.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
mdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Our top two lines should get better matchups just by virtue of our 3rd line being that much better defensively. I think you will see it make a difference, especially at home.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Where did I say that? I said Hodgson should have been given a shot on the 2nd line because he was playing well in a very limited role, and that Kesler has proven he can be effective on the wing.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

I was very shocked and saddened along with most of you when I saw he got traded. Especially for a unproven player who happens to not be an upgrade overall. Hodgson was developing as a bonafide top 6 forward esp offensively, and made the second pp unit look much better than last season, where he showed tremendous amount of skill, patience and vision, something we have seen from the sedins. He was becoming a fan favourite where people started to get his jerseys.

Then he gets unexpectedly dealt. The timing of the trade as others said is bizarre. I wouldn't mind it if it happened in the offseason and not in the middle of a stanley cup run. Huge change in the offensive personnell, indeed. However, he was pretty much a defensive liability, had issues on strength and was overexhausted at times.

However, there's nothing we can't do about it. Have to trush gillis's judgment, and reason to make this deal. This trade could either be great or just a another neely/stojanov situation. We'll just to have to see. Not happy as of now.

Kassian's skillset is quite intriguing, to say the least.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Just in case you guys missed it, I found this link, which clarifies something I myself was unsure of:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...1054&id=160804

This is the official trade call with the league. It's a BZK for Coho trade straight up, no mention of either dman. That trade was clearly a separate entity, either occurring right after that call, or as an addendum to the deal. But as reported to the league, it was the two forwards straight up, pending passing of physicals.

Old
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Where did I say that? I said Hodgson should have been given a shot on the 2nd line because he was playing well in a very limited role, and that Kesler has proven he can be effective on the wing.
3 years ago.

Kesler had his best seasons as a centre.

Most decent hockey players are effective on Sundin's wing.

Old
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
He didn't play well in a limited role on the second line.

Kesler is one of the best defensive centermen in the league who is the reigning Selke winner. Hodgson's impressive rookie campaign doesn't displace that. Hodgson is not a better center than Kesler.

Kesler had to pay his dues and earn his 2C position. Just like every other player. A huge reason for Kesler's points decline is having to focus more on his defensive game to compensate for Hodgson's lack of it.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
Shows we should have kept him because we need an offensive third line. Now we don't have that.

Old
KDizzle

Just ignore Pauser.
Although you have to give it to him for his consistency, it's like arguing with a wall.

I just want to see this team in action. I think that's the best therapy for what we're feeling... unless Kassian costs us our gigantic division lead...

then... all hell will break loose

Old
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingowango View Post
It's probably more that Kesler doesn't make his wingers better over hodgson can't play on the wing. The whole season Vancouver has been looking for wingers to play with kesler and none of them really seem to work (maybe booth to some extent but the goals booth scores isnt a result of what Kesler did). A lot of his points are from the powerplay where he gets to play with the sedins and during even strength he hasn't been very effective at using his linemates, even the coach said so? i think.

he's also got a few empty netters to pad the stats
What you just said is completely rubbish and shouldn't be taking seriously.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Shows we should have kept him because we need an offensive third line. Now we don't have that.
One that would've gotten eaten alive by opposing teams top line.

Old
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

vCash: 855
How confident is MG that the canucks do it again and go all the way? what happen if we dont win the cup......we lose the center that we will need moving on......?? I hope MG has a backup plan........so basically this is do or die for the Canucks...we MUST win the cup

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBuzz View Post
One that would've gotten eaten alive by opposing teams top line.
Here's a solution, and I know this is going to be a shocker: DON'T PLAY THE HODGSON LINE AGAINST THE OTHER TEAMS TOP LINE.

whoa how about that?

Old
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Here's a solution, and I know this is going to be a shocker: DON'T PLAY THE HODGSON LINE AGAINST THE OTHER TEAMS TOP LINE.

whoa how about that?
You know that Canucks play away games and during that time the other team can and will dictate the match-up

Old
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

whoa how about that?
AV doesn't do line matching

Old
Kagee*

Quote:
pretty sure this is also about giving rich winter (cody's agent) A BIG F U. Part of the reason why Cody cried is he knew Rich was pushing to have the canucks move him to somewhere he can get big ice time. Now Cody has to prove he's worth big Ice time. Hard to do
? He'll likely get 3rd line center minutes after Roy and Ennis with eventual 2nd line duties if he performs well, then when Hecht comes back they'll be a bit of log jam again for centers.

Seems like Coho and his agent are as just as surprised as the rest of us.

Old
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
Pauser is incapable of having a coherent discussion. He will go into frenzy mode where he simply hammer replies the same comments over and over like a broken record, then he eventually drifts from the original topic onto other subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand - usually he derails every convo into something about the Sedins not scoring enough or how great Luongo is.

I have him on ignore now but he gets quoted so often by baffled posters wondering what the hell he is talking about you can't get away from seeing his posts.

Old
Preach

It's so obvious Hodgson 'secretly' wanted out of here, don't know why people are still whining about the trade. You can tell he was hiding his excitement/happiness of leaving and getting a shot at being in the limelight and more time to play just by watching his interview on TV. This kid and his character is nothing but a fake shell, he doesn't care about winning or being on a Cup contender otherwise he wouldn't have disrespected the organization, making demands, and making the ice time an issue. It's all about him and wanting more from the team, his parents, agent, himself thinking he deserves more than what he's earned so far. He's never going to fit in this team because of his demands, there's no team concept with him that's why MG did the right thing and went against what he thought was a good pick in a character guy, and traded this potential cancer out while his value is still high.

Closed Thread