HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Less and less talent on this team, anybody else worried?

Old
02-27-2012, 09:23 PM
tiredman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
With Cammalleri and Kostitsyn now gone and Bourque and whoever (Palushaj, Geoffrion?) to take their places this team is losing in the skill area.

Cammalleri was a great sniper. Kostitsyn, while having less hockey IQ, did show some dangling and flashy moves when he felt like it.

I imagine the spectacle will be elsewhere.
Yep. I was thinking about the team's roster this evening...

Plekanec
Desharnais
Paciorretty
Cole
are 1st and 2nd liners.

after that, the team lacks serious depth...
Bourque, Gionta, Eller and Gomez are question marks...
Moen, Darche, Blunden, White and Nokelainen are 4th liners/fringe nhl'ers.
Leblanc and Palushaj have potential but are still unproven.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
With Cammalleri and Kostitsyn now gone and Bourque and whoever (Palushaj, Geoffrion?) to take their places this team is losing in the skill area.
Depends on how its handled. Of course we are losing skill right now. We have been sellers to some degree.

So we will tank and get a top pick. We have a few good pieces already. Cammalleri was brought in a few years back through the free agent market. We managed to bring in a good player in Cole this year. Bury Gomez next year, and you have a lot of cap space to sign a good dman or two. We can't depend on Tinordi or Bealieu to jump into the lineup and be good. We really don't know how they will pan out. So I think we really have to pursue a dman or two in the offseason.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
You should tweet Molson that the habs need stars and not underachievers. All this time they have been going for underachievers, but now the formula makes sense!
We've been going after second rate players. That's bound to be a disappointment when you don't have elite players to carry the team.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

It's too bad Benoit Pouliot didn't have what it took to make the Habs and had to go and accept an offer from a less-skilled team. Also the Kostitsyn brothers, and Ribeiro, Grabovski, etc., it's too bad they couldn't crack the Habs' top six and had to go and struggle with lesser teams. Yes, we need top six forwards, but where might these elusive creatures be?

This guy Russ asked me the same question. Russ is boring, stupid, creepy, fat and never washes, and Russ knows why it is that all his relationships fail -- because the girls are all losers. But he's hoping to make it work next time.

/whatever

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What do you mean you'd lose Parise? I don't understand the expression. Did you mean love?

If he hits july 1st, I'd defintely make him an offer he couldn't refuse.
yah, Love, autocorrect on phone.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Yeah this team makes me feel like patch 13 of Diablo 3 Beta.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Right now we need more skill than "toughness" on the forward end. The draft will be a start but unless we are going for MacKinnon we need help for next season. There's like 4 forwards on this team with above average hands, and while our top 3 centres can pass, the only winger right now with any competence in passing the puck is Pacioretty.

I'm glad the team is going for more balance, but if the obsession with toughness makes us lose our identity completely and get rid of all skill, it's going to be ugly.

Yep, that destroyed Boston. Its now killing the Rangers as well.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
durojean

So at the beginning of the season we had the potential of three offensive lines. All we needed was a big dominant winger.

Cammelleri Plekanec Gionta
Cole Desharnais Pacioretty
Kostitsyn Eller (missing piece) could have tried pouliot thereby the way instead of letting him go for nothing.

Plus we had a real fourth line.

Darche White Moen

Our defence looked good with markov in the line up... The mistake was to release every back up for him we had and replace the with rookies but it could have been a good d.

Markov Emelin
Subban Gill
Gorges Spacek

No problem with goaltending...

We weren't that bad the problem was the d and a dominant winger or replacePlek with a better center but we were pretty decent and definitely playoff contender.

In less than on year look at our team and it's an assesment of the bad job gauthier

Cole Desharnais Pacioretty
Bourque Plekanec Gionta
Geoffrion Eller White
Moen Nokelainen Staubitz

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Kaberle Diaz

I actually liked the Kaberle deal but putting him with a guy like Weber Diaz or even Emelin is actually trying to make him look bad. Put him with Gorges and I'm practically sure we all like that deal the problem is we don't have d depth

My solution would be
Subban Emelin
Kaberle Gorges

But our third pairing is still not up to par.

I also liked the Gill deal because let's be honest we had a lot for Gill's value .

Mistakes were Cammalleri and Kostitsyn deals... We depleted our chance of three offensive line and with the injuries to ley players like gionta we look even thinier on depths. We are not even able anymore to build two offensive lines.

Gauthier just proved to us how incompetant he really is by trading good assets on their worst year and on firing a coach at the worst possible time and replacing him by the worst possible choice... Instead of placing an inerim coach he should have kept Martin till the end of the year.

Instead of capitalizing on a bad year with a good line up next year he just decided to destroy the team from the inside out... Making it bigger but a lot less good.

That is why I'm mad ... Cammalleri wasn't that good this year it's true but he is still a potental of 80 points while Bourque never even touch the 60 point marks with the same players Cammalleri made 80 by the way. Mike just had an off year it's easy to understand.

Kostitsyn... It's simple if all your gonna have for him is a second rounder than sign him he's still a 20 goal scorer with almost no power play time when he's playing with Eller.

Plus he said he wanted to stay a habs for less money not so long ago... We have no one to replace him on the third line...

PG gave us a pretty nice course on how to destroy a team in 1 year.

I'm mad mad mad fire him before he does more damage.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
coolasprICE

a 2nd or 3rd overall pick can improve the situation

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
durojean

In 5 year

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Yeah this team makes me feel like patch 13 of Diablo 3 Beta.
Ouch. You know you're in deep **** when...

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:42 PM
wedge

people ask for size. When we start getting it, they complain because they want more skill.

hard to follow.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:46 PM
GeneralManager*

Gauthier replacing Martin with cunneyworth is the best decision any of our gms have made since 1993. Gauthier is a moron, but hiring worthless Cunney has pretty much guaranteed us a top 3 pick at this years draft...Oh look Oilers just won! Top 2 is within our grasp! If we get a top 2 pick this year, we'll finally have a superstar forward! We won't have to worry about mismanaging the pick or trading the asset because that would essentially be career genocide for whatever gm/coach we have in place. This ONE pick can turn our fortunes around in a hurry.

with that said, yah minus the pick our team is looking pretty crappy in terms of high end skill. I hope to god we bury gomez...and use that cash to get a stud player in the offseason. remember when the rangers used gomez's caphit for gaborik...lets do the same and get parise!

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Yep, that destroyed Boston. Its now killing the Rangers as well.
I hope management will do it well though, starting with the defense...

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

look like people will never be happy around here...

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
people ask for size. When we start getting it, they complain because they want more skill.

hard to follow.
We want players with both. Big bodies WITH Skill. Kostitsyn had that...and we gave that up for a pick that has a 5% chance of having a career like Kostitsyn and has 3-4 years of development to reach his production. Traded players with 1st round skill when your team lacks skill for a 2nd round pick is downright idiotic.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
We want players with both. Big bodies WITH Skill. Kostitsyn had that...and we gave that up for a pick that has a 5% chance of having a career like Kostitsyn and has 3-4 years of development to reach his production. Traded players with 1st round skill when your team lacks skill for a 2nd round pick is downright idiotic.
I don't really care with size what is important is grit, which a guy like Kostitsyn had not. I take Wendel Clark before Eric Daze on my team.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:55 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I hope management will do it well though, starting with the defense...
Truer words could never have been spoken.

The D needs to be rebuilt with only Gorges, Subban and Emelin staying in Montreal (I intentionally left off Markov because I just dont see him playing an entire season next year because of his knee). The rest need to go.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Craig71

With the mentality of management it is clear that this is an organization more comitted to ticket sales and merchandise than to winning. We need new ideas and players going forward that will bring this team back to respectability. If we are stuck with the same recycled crap it will have to be a divine intervention to bring us out of this mess.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I don't really care with size what is important is grit, which a guy like Kostitsyn had not. I take Wendel Clark before Eric Daze on my team.
Kostitsyn used his size pretty well and he absolutely leveled players when he had to. Here's the thing, our pro scouting sucks and our management trades all of our good players for nothing. Why trade an asset that we clearly need when we have no backup? How can other teams take our players with 'bad attitudes' and automatically turn them into productive players and hardworking teammates? At some point we have to realize that its not the players that are the problem, its our bloody poison riddled environment. I mean for crying out loud we have people being adamant about getting rid of Subban and Price. The media and the fans blow it up into an issue, it becomes a distraction for the players as they are inundated with negativity and where's our management to show support for the player? Nowhere. Instead they let the disturbance get to a boiling point and then we get a Janne Niiniimaa..

Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:

The D needs to be rebuilt with only Gorges, Subban and Emelin staying in Montreal (I intentionally left off Markov because I just dont see him playing an entire season next year because of his knee). The rest need to go.
Only guy I might see with a role is:

Diaz - better on D than the rest, good O instincts

possibly Weber, but has a lot to prove on both ends of the ice. Too poor in his own end to stay on a corps including any 1 of Campoli, Kaberle, Diaz. Rest have to be out. But who would be so thick as to pick up Kaberle's contract?

Apart of course from PG.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
GeneralManager*

Quote:

We should come out with guns a blazing for Suter, lets overpay with a few million for him (using Gomez money)...whatever it takes. A guy like suter playing 25-30 minutes a game will make us pretty close into a contender right away. He's tough, plays in all situations, can skate, make a good first pass...a top 10 dmen in the league is worth an overpayment.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

There had better be an elite draft choice at the end of the 2012 rainbow. Since the Habs will be picking in the top five regardless of who winsthe lottery, a flub would be a mortal sin no matter how good the second rounders turn out to be,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

It's okay, we all dream of a team full of Kostopouloses (or Darches).

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

I don't think Emelin will be staying in Montreal.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote