HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Devils at Rangers

View Poll Results: 3 Stars???
Lundqvist 118 72.39%
McDonagh 123 75.46%
Hagelin 145 88.96%
Callahan 42 25.77%
Girardi 12 7.36%
Stralman 4 2.45%
Gaborik 12 7.36%
Stepan 2 1.23%
Anisimov 3 1.84%
Bickel 2 1.23%
Dubinsky 4 2.45%
Prust 3 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Wasn't pretty, but the game plan worked. Can't get into a track meet with this team or let them have any speed coming through the neutral zone. The Rangers played a damn near flawless defensive game. McDonagh was a beast tonight. Henrik didn't have to do much but he was there when needed. Hagelin is coming on lately after hitting a bit of a wall the last few weeks.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Just because we trapped tonight doesn't make us a trapping team. A trapping team is a team who traps the majority of the time, and if you think we do, you certainly don't watch many Ranger games.
Agreed. I don't see how anyone could deny the NYR trapped tonight. They did. This isn't the norm though. This team always sends two or three forecheckers in. Of course they may sit back late in a game when protecting a lead (think second half of the third period) but find me a team in the league that doesn't. The Rangers aren't a team like the Lightning that employs a 1-3-1, their gameplan is to forecheck, grind out goals, and play solid defense that collapses around the net.

02-27-2012, 11:00 PM
SnowblindNYR

I have a question about McDonagh. I remember reading that the Habs were disappointed with his offensive game and that's why he was drafted. So my question is did the Habs think they were drafting an offensive defenseman? If so was his defensive game lacking before he was drafted? If not and he had both why did he go outside the top 10? Thanks.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

For as much as Devils fans are complaining about how "boring" the Rangers played, they played just as suffocating of a game.

That game definitely had a playoff feel to it.

1. Hagelin
2. McDonagh
3. Cally

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Agreed. I don't see how anyone could deny the NYR trapped tonight. They did. This isn't the norm though. This team always sends two or three forecheckers in. Of course they may sit back late in a game when protecting a lead (think second half of the third period) but find me a team in the league that doesn't. The Rangers aren't a team like the Lightning that employs a 1-3-1, their gameplan is to forecheck, grind out goals, and play solid defense that collapses around the net.
Why would they trap tonight more than usual, we weren't exactly playing an offensive juggernaut. They scored 5 goals in the previous 3 games we played them and 2 in the 2 Lundqvist played in.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

without a doubt the most boring game of the season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Why would they trap tonight more than usual, we weren't exactly playing an offensive juggernaut. They scored 5 goals in the previous 3 games we played them and 2 in the 2 Lundqvist played in.
Devils have a dangerous offense with Kovalchuk, Parise, Henrique, Elias, etc. They may have not put up a ton of goals in previous games but the offense is still scary. Sometimes that's just how the game goes. Very possible they figured this would be their best way to win. Don't want Kovalchuk getting by the forecheckers and come charging into the zone.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
without a doubt the most boring game of the season.
I probably feel this way because we lost that one, but I think that the Dallas game was more boring. At least in this game we were protecting the lead most of the game. The Dallas game looked like they were playing for a 1-0 shootout win.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I probably feel this way because we lost that one, but I think that the Dallas game was more boring. At least in this game we were protecting the lead most of the game. The Dallas game looked like they were playing for a 1-0 shootout win.
Dallas game was easily the most boring. No intensity since it was an East/West matchup, not much offense, not much of anything really.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lol at Debbies fans whining about Hank's post game comments. Sure didn't look like the Debbies were trying to score. How is he wrong in saying that?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Wow, CLarkson went full dumbass this game. The penalties were bad enough, but what was up with that 10ft offsides? what is this, NHL 12?

McD had a monster game, as did Staal on the back end.

Richards was brutal all game. Killed that line's offense over and over again. I really don't get what the hell is up with his game.

17 blocked shots, and a ton of hits. It was an ugly game, but they worked hard as hell for that win. Lundqvist could've sleepwalked to that shutout.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Lol at Debbies fans whining about Hank's post game comments. Sure didn't look like the Debbies were trying to score. How is he wrong in saying that?
Didn't seem to me like they were trying to score. They wouldn't shoot the fricken puck.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Didn't seem to me like they were trying to score. They wouldn't shoot the fricken puck.
Exactly. Yet their fans got all upset when Hank said that the Debs didn't take chances. 13 SOG. Sure doesn't look like you're trying to score.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

i'd complain less about Hank's comments, and more about their new found penchant for the "back pass". Seriously, is that like a new Czech thing? Zidlicky and Elias threw two of the most bizarre back passes I've seen in awhile.

Also, Henrique…. it literally looked 100x harder to shoot that puck out of play from the crease then it would've to score.

They have a rush going, and Clarkson goes 10 freaking feet offsides?!?!

Kovalchuk holding the puck so long in the neutral zone the wingers have to hit the brakes and start from 0 when the puck crosses.

Hank's right, it almost seemed like they were trying not to score.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Wow, CLarkson went full dumbass this game. The penalties were bad enough, but what was up with that 10ft offsides? what is this, NHL 12?

McD had a monster game, as did Staal on the back end.

Richards was brutal all game. Killed that line's offense over and over again. I really don't get what the hell is up with his game.

17 blocked shots, and a ton of hits. It was an ugly game, but they worked hard as hell for that win. Lundqvist could've sleepwalked to that shutout.
Richie was brutal. I remember that one shift where they were cycling well until the puck got to Richards and everything died. I thought Hagelin and Cally both had very good games and if Richards got his **** together, they could have been even more dangerous tonight.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Richie was brutal. I remember that one shift where they were cycling well until the puck got to Richards and everything died. I thought Hagelin and Cally both had very good games and if Richards got his **** together, they could have been even more dangerous tonight.
Richards played a pretty strong game in the defensive zone...3 zones to play in. for how suffocatingly this game was played, i thought he had a pretty decent game. 1 non EN goal was scored the entire game. there were like 30 SOG...really tough to get anything going for either team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Rangers got burned in prior games by Brodeur's puck handling, that's why they switched it up tonight and rarely sent 2 in on the forecheck. No reason to get caught with 2 players in deep with Brodeur moving the puck up the ice quick for an odd man rush. The Rangers tinkered the game plan tonight based on their opponent and did what they had to do to get the 2 points.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

This was not a boring game; very physical, chances, fights and grinding. This is playoff hockey. And winning is fun.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Richards played a pretty strong game in the defensive zone...3 zones to play in. for how suffocatingly this game was played, i thought he had a pretty decent game. 1 non EN goal was scored the entire game. there were like 30 SOG...really tough to get anything going for either team.
He played well defensively yes but he was awful again offensively. Just frustrating to see since he's played like this for a while now and both of his wingers were cycling well in deep. Hopefully he gets it together soon.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Just got home from the game. Garden was rockin' tonight -- packed out with Ranger fans!!

Gotta love it.

02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Rangers got burned in prior games by Brodeur's puck handling, that's why they switched it up tonight and rarely sent 2 in on the forecheck. No reason to get caught with 2 players in deep with Brodeur moving the puck up the ice quick for an odd man rush. The Rangers tinkered the game plan tonight based on their opponent and did what they had to do to get the 2 points.
Good point. Last game they didn't seem to get anything going with the forecheck due to Brodeur. It ultimately wasn't until the Devils sat back in the 3rd that game that they finally brought pressure.

Also interesting to note in that game the Devils sat back in the 3rd and allowed 15 shots in the period. Rangers sat back and only allowed 3. They did a hell of a job shutting anything and everything down once the Devils gained the zone. Henrik only had to make one tough save the entire night which was that glove save late in the third.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Just got home from the game. Garden was rockin' tonight -- packed out with Ranger fans!!

Gotta love it.
Sounded like it on TV. Watching the game on TV and hearing how loud the crowd was really makes me wish MSG would mic up the crowd more.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:47 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
He made some fantastic defensive plays. Especially below the dots, preventing some quality chances.

However, Callahan and Hagelin were everywhere tonight and Richards stifled the offense in a bad bad way.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Exactly. Yet their fans got all upset when Hank said that the Debs didn't take chances. 13 SOG. Sure doesn't look like you're trying to score.
But nooo, Fatso is 100% being a nice guy when he says Hank plays well (in the system we have set up.)

Glad Hank took a shot at them. **** the Devils.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
I thought Richards had a very good shift when the goal was scored

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote