HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
  #26
King Richards
Dry Island II
 
King Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Unfortunately Mike Richards is one of the top 5 overrated players in the NHL and is THE most overrated player on this board.

If we were talking about someone else who was less idolized then this would be a much more objective discussion.

Unfortunately you can't criticize holiness and live to tell about it.
Yes because Mike Richards is just arbitrarily held in universal regard in the REAL hockey world for no reason in particular.

Way to back up this wonderful post with facts and stats. Ignore list time.

King Richards is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
  #27
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
That is BS. A player we gave up significant assets for, that was an Olympian, that is paid as much as he is. This has nothing to do with Simmonds or Schenn. Even if Wayne had 10 goals and Schenn was in the AHL, a 45 point pace is ridiculous for someone like Richards.

If anyone had said during camp that Richards would have 31 points in 55 games we all would have thrown up. He needs to start producing for this team to have a shot at the playoffs, do you agree?
Sorry, man.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Isn't that already evident?

The whole team has played like a bunch of wussies.

Jonathan Quick is the only, and I repeat, the only King that gets a pass.

Have you seen Kopitar lately? What, like 3 shots on goal in the last X amount of games?

Lewis couldn't bury a puck if his life depended on it. In fact, he's still has 1 point less than Ethan Moreau who only played 28 games!!!

Up until 2 nights ago our Captain hid his head in the sand.

Gagne looked great from the start, but he was a risk signing that didn't work out.

Doughty held out. That certainly didn't help anything.

Our system is so horrid any player who comes in will be damned.

Penner? Stoll? Bueller...?

Really dude. Showing up out of the blue complaining about Richards and claiming the trade was our death blow is childish and just ill-timed.

savemefromtears is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
  #28
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
He was near a PPG and our best player before concussion but I agree he needs to step it up or we will miss the playoffs

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
  #29
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
You've wasted 8 years of building up a reputation over the course of 3 months. You have to know the way you have come accross lately.
If you disagree that he is overrated then just say so. I am certainly not alone in that opinion. But don't criticize me for an opinion that has at least a basis for discussion.

In the meantime, 1 goal in 29 games...

tomd is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
  #30
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,214
vCash: 500
This thread again.

Um the whole team needs to step up. I thought that was evident like 20 games ago.

damacles1156 is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:21 PM
  #31
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Yes because Mike Richards is just arbitrarily held in universal regard in the REAL hockey world for no reason in particular.

Way to back up this wonderful post with facts and stats. Ignore list time.
Your handle name certainly shows no objectivity in the matter.

He has what...58 years left on his contract to prove me wrong. Perhaps he will.

tomd is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
  #32
King Richards
Dry Island II
 
King Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Your handle name certainly shows no objectivity in the matter.

He has what...58 years left on his contract to prove me wrong. Perhaps he will.
No, I've shown objectivity and rationality PLENTY of times in my posts and I don't just excuse MR's lack of production, but you have to be the worst poster here, spewing exaggeration and agenda-laden crap with NOTHING of substance to back it up.

King Richards is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:24 PM
  #33
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Sorry, man.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Isn't that already evident?

The whole team has played like a bunch of wussies.

Jonathan Quick is the only, and I repeat, the only King that gets a pass.

Have you seen Kopitar lately? What, like 3 shots on goal in the last X amount of games?

Lewis couldn't bury a puck if his life depended on it. In fact, he's still has 1 point less than Ethan Moreau who only played 28 games!!!

Up until 2 nights ago our Captain hid his head in the sand.

Gagne looked great from the start, but he was a risk signing that didn't work out.

Doughty held out. That certainly didn't help anything.

Our system is so horrid any player who comes in will be damned.

Penner? Stoll? Bueller...?

Really dude. Showing up out of the blue complaining about Richards and claiming the trade was our death blow is childish and just ill-timed.
I never said the trade was our death blow. I liked the trade and still like it. I don't think Simmonds would be as good if he were still here, just like with Moulson and Purcell they have moved on to a quality system and are thriving.

Certainly part of Richards problem is playing in a Dean Lombardi system with Dean Lombardi quality wingers.

But with that being said, he needs to score more. I don't see why it's ridiculous to criticize our 3rd highest paid player with as many accomplishments as he has had in the past at both the NHL and Intl level. No one criticizes Penner or Stoll because most of us realize how awful they were at the end of last season and saw this coming with them. It's disappointing but not shocking Penner and Stoll have their point totals. It's shocking to see MR at a 45 point pace.

I think Big Brown said it best when he said "I thought we were getting a better player"

I think and hope MR can get back to that level, but he has been a shell of his former self for much of this season.

Herby is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:24 PM
  #34
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Mike Richards

Is playing like the rest of our talented scoring forwards and will do allot better once we hire a GM and coach who can take our team in a better direction.

I am one of the last people to give up on DL but this is so much a case of history repeating itself it isn't funny. I love the team that we have and feel that we are still a legitimate LW sniper away from being great team and we are much better then we are showing.

Sounds allot like DL's final days in SJ.

Mike Richards is fine and will be a great player for us for years to come. I am not worried about him at all.

I hate to admit it but I am getting on board with the regime change set.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
  #35
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
No, I've shown objectivity and rationality PLENTY of times in my posts and I don't just excuse MR's lack of production, but you have to be the worst poster here, spewing exaggeration and agenda-laden crap with NOTHING of substance to back it up.
You act like I offended your mancrush by calling him one of the 5 worst players in the league. I did not. I said he was one of the most overrated and I believe he is. Philly traded him for a reason and they are certainly doing just fine in the standings without him.

Let me ask all the worshippers a question...has he shown ANY leadership this season? Other than a couple of short (and I mean short) stretches, has he taken the team on his back and done any of the things he was supposed to be famous for in Philly? If so, I haven't seen it. He's got 19 games left to be the leader and clutch player we supposedly acquired.

tomd is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:31 PM
  #36
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
You act like I offended your mancrush by calling him one of the 5 worst players in the league. I did not. I said he was one of the most overrated and I believe he is. Philly traded him for a reason and they are certainly doing just fine in the standings without him.

Let me ask all the worshippers a question...has he shown ANY leadership this season? Other than a couple of short (and I mean short) stretches, has he taken the team on his back and done any of the things he was supposed to be famous for in Philly? If so, I haven't seen it. He's got 19 games left to be the leader and clutch player we supposedly acquired.
Mike is a star player. Mike is not an elite player. What you are asking him to do would make him elite, which he is not. It's the same reason Kopitar is not an elite player. He is simply not capable of doing this. The Kings do not have an elite player on the team, with the exception of maybe Quick.

Winger23 is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
  #37
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Since there are kopitar and brown sucks thread, criticism of Richards is fair. Post concussion richards has been junk, he's picked his game up of late. The kings are gonna need him to be great if we want to make the PO

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
  #38
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Mike is a star player. Mike is not an elite player. What you are asking him to do would make him elite, which he is not. It's the same reason Kopitar is not an elite player. He is simply not capable of doing this. The Kings do not have an elite player on the team, with the exception of maybe Quick.
Well at least you tried to give an honest assessment of Richards. I applaud you for that. And yes, he is a star player. I hope he starts showing it in LA but I really do fear that his best days may be behind him (again a personal opinion based on several factors).

tomd is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
  #39
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,915
vCash: 50
The next month will go a long way in shaping my opinion of everybody on the team. That's all I can say for Richards. I'm willing to put my biases, for or negative aside and give everyone a clean slate.

There's no real rope left for anyone on this team besides the goaltender and guy who just got here. I think Richards and a lot of guys had strong games tonight, but all that matters at this point are the results. They aren't too far behind the 8 ball for this playoff spot, they need to show they are capable of going out there and snatching it.

Live in the Now is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
  #40
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Mike is a star player. Mike is not an elite player. What you are asking him to do would make him elite, which he is not. It's the same reason Kopitar is not an elite player. He is simply not capable of doing this. The Kings do not have an elite player on the team, with the exception of maybe Quick.
If Richards was playing for the Ducks or the Sharks, most of you would be laughing at those teams for getting ripped off. That kind of contract should get you WAAAAAY more than a player on pace for 45 points.

....and before you start talking about his defensive contributions, he's supposed to do that IN ADDITION to scoring, not instead of scoring.

Not every "real" NHL person holds him in total regard. From the Yahoo article on trade deadline winner and losers:

"Forget the gossip about the partying. Scouts say Richards didnít compete as hard as he used to during the end of his time in Philadelphia, and they speak even worse of Carter. He didnít compete his last year-and-a-half in Philly, and he sulked so much in Columbus that the Blue Jackets Ė after giving up so much to get him in a trade Ė gave up on him in less than a year."

PSP is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
  #41
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
If Richards was playing for the Ducks or the Sharks, most of you would be laughing at those teams for getting ripped off. That kind of contract should get you WAAAAAY more than a player on pace for 45 points.

....and before you start talking about his defensive contributions, he's supposed to do that IN ADDITION to scoring, not instead of scoring.

Not every "real" NHL person holds him in total regard. From the Yahoo article on trade deadline winner and losers:

"Forget the gossip about the partying. Scouts say Richards didnít compete as hard as he used to during the end of his time in Philadelphia, and they speak even worse of Carter. He didnít compete his last year-and-a-half in Philly, and he sulked so much in Columbus that the Blue Jackets Ė after giving up so much to get him in a trade Ė gave up on him in less than a year."
Very well said Pat.

tomd is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  #42
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
"Forget the gossip about the partying. Scouts say Richards didn’t compete as hard as he used to during the end of his time in Philadelphia, and they speak even worse of Carter. He didn’t compete his last year-and-a-half in Philly, and he sulked so much in Columbus that the Blue Jackets – after giving up so much to get him in a trade – gave up on him in less than a year."
So much for the right fits and a culture.

I really hope these guys aren't on the downside, I don't think they are. But if these guys dont get back to their production levels of 3-4 years ago this team is in huuuge trouble going forward and Dean's replacement is going to be handcuffed because of it.

Herby is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
  #43
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Richards, just like every other single player who comes to this team started off hot and scoring allot of significant goals for us and then tailed off.

If you can't see that then you are likely blinded by your own bias.

MR should be doing more and so should the rest of our O minded players but the way that this team is being ran managed has a way of draining O from players.

I hate to admit it and I mean that when I say it but it might actually be time to get a GM AND coach in here who can give us a fresh outlook and operate a balanced team/system.

We no longer need to focus so intently on D at all costs. We are a much more mature team and can afford to rely on our goaltending a bit more. The days of D above all else are behind us.

We need mgmt in here who can bring us to becoming that balanced system where we focus on attack as much as sound responsible d hockey.

Richards is a stud and so is Carter and Brown and Williams and Kopitar and and and.

Our current team needs a new approach, the talent is one player away from having us be a contender.


Last edited by etherialone: 02-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.
etherialone is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:00 PM
  #44
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Why are we pointing out one guy when production is down across the board?

ScoreZeGoals is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
  #45
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast
 
Seventyx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Norcal
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
So much for the right fits and a culture.

I really hope these guys aren't on the downside, I don't think they are. But if these guys dont get back to their production levels of 3-4 years ago this team is in huuuge trouble going forward and Dean's replacement is going to be handcuffed because of it.
Carter absolutely wasn't the right fit; but I was told it didn't matter if he floats or is invisible, because he would score 30+ goals/season on a decent cap hit. I know it's only been two games and he's looked decent, but just like I thought, he isn't good enough to be immune to the huge decrease in production expected when you become a King. And he isn't going to bring much else to the table, that's for sure.

But I guess that's a story for a different thread.

Seventyx7 is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
  #46
Asheru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Quote:
From the Yahoo article on trade deadline winner and losers:
Riiight, because that's infalliable.

You have your agendas, most people (Ian Laperriere included) describe MR as a heart and soul guy. But what does Lappy know.

Asheru is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
  #47
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
And what hockey expert works for Yahoo? How did they get the inside scoop on Richards and Carter?

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
  #48
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Carter absolutely wasn't the right fit; but I was told it didn't matter if he floats or is invisible, because he would score 30+ goals/season on a decent cap hit. I know it's only been two games and he's looked decent, but just like I thought, he isn't good enough to be immune to the huge decrease in production expected when you become a King. And he isn't going to bring much else to the table, that's for sure.

But I guess that's a story for a different thread.
So one second you say you know it's only been two games and the next you already proclaim that "he isn't good enough to be immune to the huge decrease in production expected when you become a King", what a joke. It doesn't work both ways like that

ScoreZeGoals is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
  #49
King Richards
Dry Island II
 
King Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
If Richards was playing for the Ducks or the Sharks, most of you would be laughing at those teams for getting ripped off. That kind of contract should get you WAAAAAY more than a player on pace for 45 points.

....and before you start talking about his defensive contributions, he's supposed to do that IN ADDITION to scoring, not instead of scoring.

Not every "real" NHL person holds him in total regard. From the Yahoo article on trade deadline winner and losers:

"Forget the gossip about the partying. Scouts say Richards didnít compete as hard as he used to during the end of his time in Philadelphia, and they speak even worse of Carter. He didnít compete his last year-and-a-half in Philly, and he sulked so much in Columbus that the Blue Jackets Ė after giving up so much to get him in a trade Ė gave up on him in less than a year."
Citing the Yahoo article as your example is all I need to know how disconnected you are from the league on the level of the people who play, coach, manage, and live it. Mike Richards is the poster boy for what makes a heart and soul hockey player, and there is nary a REAL HOCKEY PERSON who will say otherwise. So you can keep your Yahoo pundits

King Richards is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
  #50
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Carter absolutely wasn't the right fit; but I was told it didn't matter if he floats or is invisible, because he would score 30+ goals/season on a decent cap hit. I know it's only been two games and he's looked decent, but just like I thought, he isn't good enough to be immune to the huge decrease in production expected when you become a King. And he isn't going to bring much else to the table, that's for sure.

But I guess that's a story for a different thread.
I agree.

But Lombardi threw his culture and right fit cliches out the window and he really had no choice. He is almost surely gone if the team misses the playoffs while being dead last in goals.

I actually like what Carter brings, like I said in the Kopitar thread, there is nothing wrong with a purely offensive player. Dean and his coaches have tried to turn everyone into a two way player and we see results like we have had.

Balance is a good thing, not everyone is going to be an excellent two way player.

Guys like Gaborik, Kessel, Nash, Eriksson, St. Louis, Kovalchuk, Tavares Eberle and Kane are extremely valuable players and the types of players we lack.

Not everyone is Toews or Datsyuk. I wish our management team realized that quicker than they apparently finally have.

Herby is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.