HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Special Trade Deadline Edition!

Old
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
kirby11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
there's actually a few sabres fans on this board who aren't elated with this trade??? really?

look, we can still recognize a need for change... on the roster, behind the bench, even in the front office... we can still see the flaws all throughout this organization...
BUT...
Kassian for Hodgson is a ****ing great trade for this franchise... In or Outside the vaccuum... either way.... HOME RUN.
Agreed. And, FWIW, I honestly think hodgson could be part of that culture change over time. Most canucks fans on the boards have said the kid's a total gamer, drives himself to improve, has never had his work ethic questioned, and has the intangibles to be a captain/assistant captain down the road if needed. More of what this team needs. **** YEAH

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
cybresabre
March Mighty Elk

vCash: 632
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Background highlights via the wikipedia.

For the 2008-2009 season the OHL coaches voted him to be the smartest player (second consecutive year), the hardest worker, the best faceoff man, the most sportsmanlike player and best penalty killer. He was voted to possess the second hardest shot, behind PK Subban. He was a first team all star in the OHL and also the player of the year for the OHL and all of the CHL.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T3R View Post
I guarantee you if we went back in time and any of those players were available and YOU were the sabres GM you would make the same deals as Darcy did in that same situation. Connolly was exactly what we payed for when he came from the Island, he had some bad luck with injuries and was never the same after concussions. Leino had many high priced suitors and was a seemingly underrated winger that has a lot of untapped potential and to call him bad is just ridiculous. Yes he hasn't scored in the bunches we've wanted from him but to be fair he hasn't had a lot to work with until we put Ennis at center. Boyes was a former 30 goal scorer and the chance at different scenery might have changed his luck, it hasn't but at least he's good in the SO and to say Hodgson (who is one of the 3 frontrunners for the Calder at this point) is worth less then Kassian is straight up ignorance. Kassian's toughness was there, no doubt, but lacked the scoring ability that many of our older players had, not only that but he seemed to cause trouble on every team he was a part of. On the other hand we have a rookie center who has flourished in offensive clutch situations and showed more offensive skill then Kassian may ever be able to.
Not to split hairs, but Brad Boyes was a former 40 goal scorer ;-)

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Luceni

Good:
- Hodgson
- the first round pick steal for gaustad
- losing MAG. Addition by substraction

Bad:
- Not moving Roy or Boyes.

Ugly:
- we lost two physical players-

Super ugly:
- we lost my favourite player (Kassian) :cry

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
DJN21

I was working all day during the deadline but I've got a friend(ik that sounds like a horrible source) who claims he heard on the radio we were close to a deal with Chicago that would send Kane for Roy/Sekera/draft pick(s)....anyone else get wind of that or is he crazy? he claimed the deadline came and passed before it could be hammered out

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I was working all day during the deadline but I've got a friend(ik that sounds like a horrible source) who claims he heard on the radio we were close to a deal with Chicago that would send Kane for Roy/Sekera/draft pick(s)....anyone else get wind of that or is he crazy? he claimed the deadline came and passed before it could be hammered out
I followed things pretty closely and didn't hear anything of the sort. Of course, I did hear that the Hawks had interest in Roy.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:10 PM
LGB24

Quote:
I heard the hawks and sabres were talking about Roy just before the deadline but thats all i heard

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I heard the hawks and sabres were talking about Roy just before the deadline but thats all i heard
I was very surprised to hear such a rumor beause roy+sekera would obviously still require a ++ from us. Likely no truth to it all just curious

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:33 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

We can sit on Roy until his value is the highest. Considering that we showed both a willingness to jettison lesser core parts and swing risky trades today, I'm not worried that Derek is gone if/when the right deal comes along.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I was very surprised to hear such a rumor beause roy+sekera would obviously still require a ++ from us. Likely no truth to it all just curious
I hope we never make such a dumb trade.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
We can sit on Roy until his value is the highest. Considering that we showed both a willingness to jettison lesser core parts and swing risky trades today, I'm not worried that Derek is gone if/when the right deal comes along.
Regier said in his interview today that more teams were interested in Gaustad than Roy, so I'm with you there.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Tyler2829

Quote:
We also have an extra first rounder to ship along with Roy to bring back a better center, while still keeping one to use at the draft.

A lot of possibilities....

Tyler2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:41 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2829 View Post
We also have an extra first rounder to ship along with Roy to bring back a better center, while still keeping one to use at the draft.

A lot of possibilities....
We also have a few second rounders to sweeten the pot just before the draft...I'm looking at you LA with your 3 top line centers and no picks in the first 4 rounds this year.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Wouldn't his value be at its peak now since he has another year left on his contract at what is considered a cheap rate for a producing center?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Wouldn't his value be at its peak now since he has another year left on his contract at what is considered a cheap rate for a producing center?
That "peak now" is a long time - from before the deadline that just passed until the start of next year's regular season. I see no meaningful change in Roy's value between now and then. Honestly, his value may even go up slightly if the salary cap contracts and a team near the cap needs Roy's high-value-lower-dollar contract to replace a higher-cap-hit contract that other team already has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21
I was very surprised to hear such a (Kane) rumor beause roy+sekera would obviously still require a ++ from BUF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
I hope we never make such a dumb trade.
Roy + Sekera, ++ for Kane? I'm with jj...

====
I'm not getting Play4miracles (mild?) discontent with the Hodgson trade.

Pre-deadline, Sabres lacked scoring depth and centers.
They got 8 years younger at the center position (Hodgson vs. Gaustad).
They gave up an equally young, large, wing who appeared to have good hands and puck control along boards, down low, and in corners. It will be easier for BUF to replace Kassian's role and production (both admittedly important) in the offseason than it would have been to acquire a young near-ppg center, something they've needed to do for several years without success.

I speculate Hodgson will be paired with Vanek and Pomms, rather than Roy, because Pomms can take some of Hodgson's defensive assignments (while Hodgson continues to develop) better than Ennis and Stafford could. Of course, other roster moves in the offseason could change my view.

Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaustad is re-signed come July 1. He still would slot well in the BUF lineup, regardless of Darcy's trades & draft this offseason. Unless it's illegal, I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy requested Gaustad and agent allow him the chance to match any UFA offer come 7/1.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
HiddenInLight

If the sabres re-sign Goose in the off season, and Nashville doesn't win the cup, then:

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Burke's comment about having 20 shopping carts crowded around two or three cash registers... riot!

02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Good -

- Starting to fill the hole at center and doing it with a talented, high character kid who was not thought to be available. Hodgson has a lot to like in many aspects of his game and if the "Cody Franchise" stuff takes hold, this might be the guy to lead the new core and the team.
- Landing a 1st rounder when already in possession of an additional 2nd this year? Trading up actually becomes a viable option now.
- No inbound rentals.
- Got to give to get. Interesting to see Regier willing to give in order to get.

The Bad -

- Keeping Boyes. Really. Let the guy go and see if he can do something down the stretch on a new team. Pfft.
- Still a small team and one of their few bigger, meaner forwards went in the deal. They still need to get more mean.
- The temptation to sell big and move Leo was, for me, the biggest thing yesterday.
- Getting nothing for the Amerks stretch run.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote