HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 11:10 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

vCash: 500
A Yahoo article and a Negative Nancy pretty much sums it up for me here...

Old
02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
And what hockey expert works for Yahoo? How did they get the inside scoop on Richards and Carter?
They can't be an expert because they don't have glowing things to say about Kings players - gotcha!

Old
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
So one second you say you know it's only been two games and the next you already proclaim that "he isn't good enough to be immune to the huge decrease in production expected when you become a King", what a joke. It doesn't work both ways like that
I don't think he is good enough; not because of these two games, I have thought him to be very overrated for years.

I am waiting anxiously for him to prove me wrong, giving him every chance. Tonight would have been a good place to start, but there's plenty of time to get it together this season. /sarcasm

Old
Boxscore
#oldNHL

How many of you people watched Richards closely throughout his NHL career? Richards hasn't been the same player since he signed a deal giving him a lifetime of financial security. His legacy ended in Philadelphia as one of the WORST captains they ever had, in terms of being an actual "captain". He showed up to Flyers training camp a few days before it started in 2010-11, leaving his coach, GM and the veterans on the team completely puzzled. Richards is the main reason there was a division in the Flyers room and was called out for the way he acted off the ice, his poor fitness levels and his disgraceful handling of the media. Say what you want, but when Mike Richards was asked the other day about Carter being his teammate again and about the media attention he wasted no time "taking shots" at the Philly media. If that doesn't prove that this kid just hasn't moved on or grew up a bit, I don't know what does. Hockey fan to hockey fan, the proof is in the pudding. There's a reason a large majority of Flyers fans weren't upset in the least to see Richards and Carter traded...and that's unheard of when a team trades their captain and leading goal scorers in their PRIME. I'll just say this...it's no coincidence that the Kings are struggling and there was even TALK about Dustin Brown being traded so Richards could be the next captain.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I agree.

But Lombardi threw his culture and right fit cliches out the window and he really had no choice. He is almost surely gone if the team misses the playoffs while being dead last in goals.

I actually like what Carter brings, like I said in the Kopitar thread, there is nothing wrong with a purely offensive player. Dean and his coaches have tried to turn everyone into a two way player and we see results like we have had.

Balance is a good thing, not everyone is going to be an excellent two way player.

Guys like Gaborik, Kessel, Nash, Eriksson, St. Louis, Kovalchuk, Tavares Eberle and Kane are extremely valuable players and the types of players we lack.

Not everyone is Toews or Datsyuk. I wish our management team realized that quicker than they apparently finally have.
These guys are very good defensively...

Old
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Carter is going to be a good player for this team. I'm much more sure of that than I am comfortable with Richards play right now, take that for whatever you will.

He may not contribute remotely to our defensive game, but honestly, I hope Carter DOESN'T contribute to that, and it gets everyone canned. The way this team plays is the wrong way to play hockey, I think it hinders everyone from top down. Richards probably being the most hindered because so much of his game is already defensive oriented. The last thing you need to stress with a guy like him is to be safe defensively.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Why are we pointing out one guy when production is down across the board?
Because Richards has 1 goal since Christmas (that's 1 goal in his last 28 games).

Last edited by Sam: 02-27-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
They can't be an expert because they don't have glowing things to say about Kings players - gotcha!
If you would have got it from a legit hockey source then fine but you got it from freaking Yahoo

Old
02-27-2012, 11:17 PM
SFKingshomer

How come there wasn't a positive thread when Richards was a PPG and the Kings best player before being concussed?

Old
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I agree.

But Lombardi threw his culture and right fit cliches out the window and he really had no choice. He is almost surely gone if the team misses the playoffs while being dead last in goals.

I actually like what Carter brings, like I said in the Kopitar thread, there is nothing wrong with a purely offensive player. Dean and his coaches have tried to turn everyone into a two way player and we see results like we have had.

Balance is a good thing, not everyone is going to be an excellent two way player.

Guys like Gaborik, Kessel, Nash, Eriksson, St. Louis, Kovalchuk, Tavares Eberle and Kane are extremely valuable players and the types of players we lack.

Not everyone is Toews or Datsyuk. I wish our management team realized that quicker than they apparently finally have.
Exactly.

Even though I was extremely opposed to getting Carter, I have been trying to give him a clean slate and he has been pretty good. But it was a desperation move by DL to save his job.

I wanted to allocate a higher percentage of the cap to offense, and was ok giving up JJ (as far as his play is concerned). Just didn't think Carter was the guy to make the difference. Not in this system, not on this team.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Citing the Yahoo article as your example is all I need to know how disconnected you are from the league on the level of the people who play, coach, manage, and live it. Mike Richards is the poster boy for what makes a heart and soul hockey player, and there is nary a REAL HOCKEY PERSON who will say otherwise. So you can keep your Yahoo pundits
At some point, you have to judge a player not on what he should be or could be or once was, but what he producing NOW. His offensive production isn't worth close to his salary AND his defensive mistakes have been cancelling out the defensive benefits.

At one point he might have been the heart and soul player you describe, but not this season.

Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Every player on this team has been a colossal disappointment besides Quick. If you tack on the expected points to 1/4 of them, we would be a playoff team. Richards has been playing much better of late. Pointing out at him specifically as the sole reason isn't saying much.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How come there wasn't a positive thread when Richards was a PPG and the Kings best player before being concussed?
1. Quick has been the Kings best player all season long.
2. Richards was a .8 PPG player before he missed time with the concussion.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
tomd

Quote:
oh I would say it would be pretty easy to find many glowing comments about him 4 months ago...

Old
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
ru4reals

I blame everything on going overseas to start the season! I think that screwed us up! No more please! Correct me if I'm wrong didn't we miss the playoffs last time we went across the pond?

Old
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Because Richards has 1 goal since Christmas.
That is mind-blowing.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:22 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
oh I would say it would be pretty easy to find many glowing comments about him 4 months ago...
Concussions tend to slow players down. He came back way too early

Old
02-27-2012, 11:23 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
1. Quick has been the Kings best player all season long.
2. Richards was a .8 PPG player before he missed time with the concussion.
Close enough. He was still the player we expected before being concussed

Old
02-27-2012, 11:26 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
If you would have got it from a legit hockey source then fine but you got it from freaking Yahoo

Old
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Every player on this team has been a colossal disappointment besides Quick. If you tack on the expected points to 1/4 of them, we would be a playoff team. Richards has been playing much better of late. Pointing out at him specifically as the sole reason isn't saying much.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Concussions tend to slow players down. He came back way too early
That was about 2 months ago. How long should he has stayed out?

Old
02-27-2012, 11:29 PM
HookKing

None of this matters...until the Kings start sending 4 players to the net (on a rush) like the good teams (instead of our 2 max) the particular players don't matter.

Old
SFKingshomer

Quote:
As long as it takes to get to 100 percent because he obviously isnt. It could be a mental thing too

Old
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
At some point, you have to judge a player not on what he should be or could be or once was, but what he producing NOW. His offensive production isn't worth close to his salary AND his defensive mistakes have been cancelling out the defensive benefits.

At one point he might have been the heart and soul player you describe, but not this season.
You view players as two dimensional columns on a stat sheet and fail to take valid external factors into account. If you want to write off MR as a player for your own reasons, feel free to do so. There is no point in arguing and I personally don't care if you undervalue Mike, he's still a part of this team for a long time, and I'm personally glad.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
He hasn't been hitting people either. That's highly unusual for him. I find it odd.

Closed Thread