HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TB/OTT] Brian Lee to TB for Matt Gilroy

Old
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500

Confirmed by TSN. Details coming.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie
As per @tsn_wally, TB acquires Brian Lee from OTT.
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

TB won this trade. Gilroy isnt a good defensemen.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
TB won this trade. Gilroy isnt a good defensemen.
I wouldn't say he wasn't good. I would have liked Gilroy back here next season as a bottom pair guy, but it looks like he wasn't going to be resigned. Not a bad deal though. Lee could benefit from this new change of scenery. He's still only 24 so maybe he has some untapped potential. He looks like he has the tools to fit in here.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I dont know. He was out of position a lot. Looked lost out there most of the time. Sloppy passes too. Just dont like him. I know he had some speed out of the back but that was about it. More flash than actual ability.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I didn't like his tan, good riddance!

02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Lee could benefit from some sun.

He's an albino.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
koreaboy

BRIAN LEE: a scouting report

sens fan here to give you a scouting report on a sens player you just acquired in brian lee. i know we would VERY much like a scouting report on gilroy on our board if you get a chance.

brian lee was drafted in the 1st round (9th overall) of the 2005 draft, which actually was one of the biggest problems he had. going that high, the expectations for him were too high, and he simply was never going to be good enough to make people feel the pick was worth it. he came in as a tall but thin kid who could skate well, pass the puck, and who was supposed to turn into a very good puckmoving defenceman. he needed time to get stronger and to adjust to an NHL pace, and it took him quite a while to do that. early on he was pretty easy to knock off the puck and he didnt show enough offensively to stick in the lineup. he was waived by us at one point last year, and no one took him so he sat out much of the season as a scratch until he got into the lineup in the last third of the season and actually played pretty well. i think sens fans admired how he didnt complain, he just came out and took advantage of getting back in and he made the most of it. he was probably our "shutdown" pair along with chris phillips in the last couple months of last season, and showed himself to be steady and reliable. its clear he finally filled out (i think he's around 210-215 now) and is more able to be physical. he won't blow guys up but he isn't afraid to throw a hit or two and he isn't manhandled down low like he used to be.

so what is he now? i think brian lee can be a solid, unspectacular bottom pair defenceman who can chip in 12-20 pts, be on the 2nd PK unit, and be fine defensively. i think the best aspect of his game is his passing. he is very crisp when he passes the puck, especially d-to-d. his shot is definitely below average which means you really don't want him on your PP. his skating is fine but he isn't a real burner to the point where you could call him a really good puckmover. he's just fairly good at a fair number of things. his positioning is decent, he passes it well, he's solid defensively, and he skates fairly well. he sure won't hurt you, and who knows? if he improves a bit his absolute top end might be as a 2nd pair defenceman who can play a bit on a 2nd PP unit, handle 18-20 mins a night, be a "+" player defensively. he seemed to be a fairly well-liked team guy, never a problem or a complainer. i kinda had a soft spot for him, and i wish him well.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Lee could benefit from some sun.

He's an albino.

QFT

Can anyone give me a scouting report on Gilroy? Don't say "I just don't like him" either.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Can anyone give me a scouting report on Gilroy? Don't say "I just don't like him" either.
It's hard to judge him as most of the time he was used as a #2-4 due to the injuries to Ohlund, Hedman, MAB and others and due to Kubina playing like crap for the first two months and Clark's decline. He will surprise you with flashes of offensive brilliance but he also has his fair share of derp moments like the occasional no look drop pass that leads to an odd man rush but mostly he has them when in our own zone. As I said, unexpected work load might have something to do with it but since your D is deeper than ours he should be fine on your bottom pairing.

Examples of his above average offensive instincts:

...or the goal he scored against the Devils yesterday.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
QFT

Gilroy can be a head scratcher at times. He has great speed and now and then you'll see he has some hidden skill too. In the offensive zone he can make some real nice passes and likes to get involved offensively. I'm a little surprised he doesn't have more assists than he does. On the other side he's not the smartest guy. Defensively he can have some problems too. If he keeps his game simple and structured he can be a competent bottom pairing dman.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
so what is he now? i think brian lee can be a solid, unspectacular bottom pair defenceman who can chip in 12-20 pts, be on the 2nd PK unit, and be fine defensively. i think the best aspect of his game is his passing. he is very crisp when he passes the puck, especially d-to-d. his shot is definitely below average which means you really don't want him on your PP. his skating is fine but he isn't a real burner to the point where you could call him a really good puckmover. he's just fairly good at a fair number of things. his positioning is decent, he passes it well, he's solid defensively, and he skates fairly well. he sure won't hurt you, and who knows? if he improves a bit his absolute top end might be as a 2nd pair defenceman who can play a bit on a 2nd PP unit, handle 18-20 mins a night, be a "+" player defensively. he seemed to be a fairly well-liked team guy, never a problem or a complainer. i kinda had a soft spot for him, and i wish him well.
I'd agree with this.

He's not really prone to major gaffes in the defensive zone either.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
burgess1978

On Gilroy, Ottawa's plan will be to use him on the 3rd pairing with one of Phillips/Cowen and on the point on the 2nd PP unit - likely with Gonchar/Kuba on the other point. From what you guys are saying it seems like he'll be a good fit in there.

Some more comments on Brian Lee:

Lee was drafted as a PMD but because that part of his game hasn't evolved he has been expected to play a defensive D role. Many Sens fans will tell you that the Sens were trying to shoehorn him into a role which didn't fit him. I'll be watching some TB games to see what opportunities he gets and how he goes.

... and the Sens are 13-0-1 in the last 1 games Brian Lee played.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:55 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

We have Erik Karlsson, Gonchar and Kuba so any offense he produces is a plus. How is his defense?

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I'll say this, for Girlroy to be a plus 2 on a bad defensive team should tell you he doesn't suck. I'll admit he cleaned up his d game as the season wore on. He can be solid with time.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
... and the Sens are 13-0-1 in the last 1 games Brian Lee played.
27 points in the standings per game eh? He may lack raw skills, but clearly the man is a winner.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
reza87

aulie > lee

just saying.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

I pray Lee does surprisingly well for us. To the point where he takes the number 6/7 spot. Depending if Gervais comes back. We all also know Clark has a high chance of not returning. And depending how Commodore does he might get resigned. Not sure what to do with MAB. Ohlund most likely is done or LTIR for awhile.

Hedman - Aulie
Brewer - Commodore
Mikkellson - Gervais
Lee

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Tuna99

Sens fan here who wasn't a Brian Lee fan:

He's a decent passer when he has space and he is getting better at carrying the puck or moving it faster, but can't get shots on net.

He can't handle the better offensive players in the game or little quick guys like Briere, does well against slower and bigger guys as he can skate with them and uses his upper body well to check but not his legs (you'll see what i mean by this next game)

Overall a guy who can play bottom pairing minutes for you and be a good locker room guy at a cheap price. Change will do him good especially the contain defense you guys play - Lee didn't suit Ottawa's attack style but he was getting better at it.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
27 points in the standings per game eh? He may lack raw skills, but clearly the man is a winner.
Yep. He's that good.

Lightning are 3-0 with Lee so that makes 16-0-1 for Lee in his last 17.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Yep. He's that good.

Lightning are 3-0 with Lee so that makes 16-0-1 for Lee in his last 17.
Thats crazy, he must be feeling really good thinking about this.

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Lee has been good. Not excellent or anything, but he gets the puck on the net, seems to have damn decent vision, and isn't a liability in his zone, which feels like the opposite of what we were getting out of Gilroy. Really liking this kid.

Two points in three games and has been around 15:00 ATOI/G so far. Hes really a step up from what we had and considering both he and Commodore have been together and had no prior experience as to how Guy runs things, I think the both of them have been great. Quick learners.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Lee has been good. Not excellent or anything, but he gets the puck on the net, seems to have damn decent vision, and isn't a liability in his zone, which feels like the opposite of what we were getting out of Gilroy. Really liking this kid.

Two points in three games and has been around 15:00 ATOI/G so far. Hes really a step up from what we had and considering both he and Commodore have been together and had no prior experience as to how Guy runs things, I think the both of them have been great. Quick learners.
There both veterans, more so Commie, and it's easier to toss a couple of veterans out there rather than a few rookies or inexperienced guys because they at least know how to play at the NHL level.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
SP

So Gilroy sucks. He's lousy defensively and makes bad pinches, and even when it works, it doesn't result in a goal.

How's Lee been for you guys?

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:14 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
So Gilroy sucks. He's lousy defensively and makes bad pinches, and even when it works, it doesn't result in a goal.

How's Lee been for you guys?
Looks like the rest of our new D men - raw, and a little lost at times. Fairly steady but really needs to win more puck battles along the wall.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote