HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting in shape

Old
02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiba View Post
A few tips:

Drink lots of water all day long.

No soda, butter, mayo, chips, cookies, ice cream etc. if you must, have a little bit once a week as a reward and/or to keep you on track.

Stop eating food thats premade/prepackaged, prepare meals and snacks with natural ingredients. No more fast food. Try to eat at home or bring something from home.

Try to stay away from fatty **** like bacon, pizza, sausage, burgers, hot dogs.

Watch the size of your portions, try to eat as many small meals throughout the day rather than a couple large ones. eat something small and healthy almost before you get hungry. if you wait and get real hungry, its very easy to scarf down a huge amount of food before your stomach realizes you have overeaten.

Make the switch to whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta. it keeps you feeling full much longer.
Make the switch to skim milk or 1% if you drink homo or 2%. work your way down.
Make the switch to all natural peanut butter, the fats contained help you break down fat.
If you need to use oil, try olive oil, the fats contained also help you break down fat.

Cut down huge on alcohol, your body works on burning the alcohol instead of your fat, not to mention the added calories.

If you smoke, try to cut down and quit.

Do not eat meals late at night. if you must, eat some fruit or veggies.

Do not eat carbs past 6pm. no rice, pasta, breads. it will make a huge difference.

Combine all this with exersize, start out light and go for walks, as your body adjusts you can walk longer, faster or uphill. you can then start jogging, biking, or active sports and do some exersize at least 4 times a week, even if its moderate, its something.

Last of all, lots of solid rest. You will see results.

During a party mode I gained a ton of weight, I am 6'1 and was at 240, i busted my ass and worked out hard and followed these basic rules. I dropped down to 190 in about 6 months. Everyones body is different, and this is not a diet its a lifestyle change. Start now.
Its very rare you come across people on a message board that actually understand dieting and tricks of the trade, but you sir nailed it.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
denace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiba View Post
A few tips:

Drink lots of water all day long.

No soda, butter, mayo, chips, cookies, ice cream etc. if you must, have a little bit once a week as a reward and/or to keep you on track.

Stop eating food thats premade/prepackaged, prepare meals and snacks with natural ingredients. No more fast food. Try to eat at home or bring something from home.

Try to stay away from fatty **** like bacon, pizza, sausage, burgers, hot dogs.

Watch the size of your portions, try to eat as many small meals throughout the day rather than a couple large ones. eat something small and healthy almost before you get hungry. if you wait and get real hungry, its very easy to scarf down a huge amount of food before your stomach realizes you have overeaten.

Make the switch to whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta. it keeps you feeling full much longer.
Make the switch to skim milk or 1% if you drink homo or 2%. work your way down.
Make the switch to all natural peanut butter, the fats contained help you break down fat.
If you need to use oil, try olive oil, the fats contained also help you break down fat.

Cut down huge on alcohol, your body works on burning the alcohol instead of your fat, not to mention the added calories.

If you smoke, try to cut down and quit.

Do not eat meals late at night. if you must, eat some fruit or veggies.

Do not eat carbs past 6pm. no rice, pasta, breads. it will make a huge difference.

Combine all this with exersize, start out light and go for walks, as your body adjusts you can walk longer, faster or uphill. you can then start jogging, biking, or active sports and do some exersize at least 4 times a week, even if its moderate, its something.

Last of all, lots of solid rest. You will see results.

During a party mode I gained a ton of weight, I am 6'1 and was at 240, i busted my ass and worked out hard and followed these basic rules. I dropped down to 190 in about 6 months. Everyones body is different, and this is not a diet its a lifestyle change. Start now.
QFT ! This fella knows what he is talking about

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
denace

My situation is roughly the same as the topic starter. Next season I want to be fit and able to join my local hockeyclub I'm 6"2 and I weigh 229. In the past I have done several crash diets with a rigorous training regime. This resulted in a lot of muscle loss and feeling light headed all the time and no motivation what so ever. After a rough phase in my life, I want to start over again and get it right this time. All my knowledge about dieting ( change of lifestyle ) is from a little book called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto.PM me and I show you where to get it Currently Im struggling with this fitness program I have included in this post. Some of it is in Dutch (which explains the broken English ) but you'll get the idea. Oh and you can ignore all the cardio mentioned in the logbook, I dont do that anymore that way..

I really hope that someone can help me with the following questions:

1. is there a good alternative for squatting without a squatrack ? I do own a barbell but without a squatrack it will destroy my back.
2. After each weight training, I do a 40 mins HIIT on a stationairy bike. Do I overtrain myself ?

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx LAATSTELOGBOEK.xlsx‎ (13.9 KB, 5 views)

Old
02-23-2012, 03:06 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I was 180lbs and 23% BF last year.. now I'm about 140 and 13% BF thanks to this website: www.scoobysworkshop.com

Pretty much all the information you need is there, and it's free

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Starting Strength 3x5 twice a week
Archevore foods
Lyle McDonald macro ratios and guidelines

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:41 PM
denace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Starting Strength 3x5 twice a week
Archevore foods
Lyle McDonald macro ratios and guidelines
Starting Strength was my routine untill I realised I needed a squatrack...oh well I think I'll join a gym this time..

Old
02-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah it sucks but I took the plunge and bought one a couple months ago and it's been fantastic. I hate going to the gym where you pay $75 a month and there's only one squat rack in the corner yet half a million cardio and nautilus machines.

You MIGHT be able to make a ghetto version with adjustable dumbbells and doing lunges instead.

I will say I'm down almost 2" on my waist since doing starting strength and my arms are a little bigger even though I do nothing for them aside from a few pullups every other week. Definitely already stronger on the ice too, harder to knock down (although at 5'8 195 that's already pretty dang hard).

Old
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
QFT ! This fella knows what he is talking about
not so much. 80% of that is pseudo-science.

Quote:
My situation is roughly the same as the topic starter. Next season I want to be fit and able to join my local hockeyclub I'm 6"2 and I weigh 229. In the past I have done several crash diets with a rigorous training regime. This resulted in a lot of muscle loss and feeling light headed all the time and no motivation what so ever. After a rough phase in my life, I want to start over again and get it right this time. All my knowledge about dieting ( change of lifestyle ) is from a little book called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto.PM me and I show you where to get it Currently Im struggling with this fitness program I have included in this post. Some of it is in Dutch (which explains the broken English ) but you'll get the idea. Oh and you can ignore all the cardio mentioned in the logbook, I dont do that anymore that way..

I really hope that someone can help me with the following questions:

1. is there a good alternative for squatting without a squatrack ? I do own a barbell but without a squatrack it will destroy my back.
2. After each weight training, I do a 40 mins HIIT on a stationairy bike. Do I overtrain myself ?

Thanks in advance
1. a barbell by itself is not going to destroy your back. you can do a lot of weight before failing a rep, and dropping the weight is pretty easy. If you must, you could build a squat rack out of 2x4's and buy a couple of sawhorses to use for safety bars.
2. 40 minutes is a lot. stationary bike is meh. look into a strength exercise or an explosive movement, and use that for HIIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
I was 180lbs and 23% BF last year.. now I'm about 140 and 13% BF thanks to this website: www.scoobysworkshop.com

Pretty much all the information you need is there, and it's free
lol'ed. thanks for the pickup. if you really are 140lbs, i am really sorry for you.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Yeah it sucks but I took the plunge and bought one a couple months ago and it's been fantastic. I hate going to the gym where you pay $75 a month and there's only one squat rack in the corner yet half a million cardio and nautilus machines.

You MIGHT be able to make a ghetto version with adjustable dumbbells and doing lunges instead.

I will say I'm down almost 2" on my waist since doing starting strength and my arms are a little bigger even though I do nothing for them aside from a few pullups every other week. Definitely already stronger on the ice too, harder to knock down (although at 5'8 195 that's already pretty dang hard).
best explanation for your biceps

Old
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
newfr4u

Jarick,

you are too smart to fall for that Archevore crap. just eat normally, within your caloric and training goals.

Old
02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Natural foods aren't crap. We didn't evolve on Twinkies and Coke

I mention the arms thing because I just noticed yesterday they look gigantic. Obviously don't really care but my arms for some reason just get big no matter what I do.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
newfr4u

Quote:

I mention the arms thing because I just noticed yesterday they look gigantic. Obviously don't really care but my arms for some reason just get big no matter what I do.
no we didn't evolve on sugar. but we did evolve on protein and fat.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:56 AM
denace

Quote:

Natural foods help your body process food way faster compared to refined foods. This (amongst other things ) wil help your metabolism so you burn fat faster.

Are gym's really that expensive over there ? Wow ! I pay 15 thats 20 bucks a month, I'm going to subscribe in a couple of hours a coworker of mine is a hardcore bodybuilder and he wanted to be my personal coach for the next 3 months or so

The barbell itself wont ruin anything but to get the barbell behind my neck with all these weights on it, is a struggle

Thanks for the advice tho

Old
02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
no we didn't evolve on sugar. but we did evolve on protein and fat.
Yeah I think we're saying the same thing.

The Archevore site is mostly what NOT to eat to prevent disease, not to lose weight. Lyle McDonald has more practical info on macro ratios and what not. But because we're not bodybuilders, you don't have to be so precise with the calories. I ballpark it and like I said I'm slowly getting there.

Now if I could do two clean weeks without any beer or cheats, I bet I could drop 10 pounds easy.

Honestly the squats and deadlifts is probably doing more for me than anything. Get all kinds of muscles in the body going and the metabolism is jacked for a few days.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:13 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Natural foods help your body process food way faster compared to refined foods. This (amongst other things ) wil help your metabolism so you burn fat faster.
Studies / articles / books on this statement?

Exactly what hormone / enzyme / chemical / magic wand creates this effect?

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
johnjm22

I don't believe there is such thing as food that is "good" for you, or "bad" for you.

Fat, sugar, salt/sodium; there's nothing wrong with them. In fact, you NEED them. It's all about balance. Too much, or too little of anything is "bad" for you in terms of food.

I am a big believer in drinking lots of water though.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There are definitely foods that skew towards the unnatural. Hydrogenated oils for one. They might lead to disease over time. Throwing off the omega 3:6 ratio is also an issue.

But mostly it's nutrient density. It's definitely easier to eat 300 calories of jellybeans than it is to eat 300 calories of broccoli.

Luckily, nature sorted all that out. Most natural foods eaten in reasonable quantities have enough fiber and protein to fill you up before you overeat. It still comes down to calories, but you likely won't have to weigh and count if you just eat those natural foods. Especially if you're a male who's active enough to play hockey.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
There are definitely foods that skew towards the unnatural. Hydrogenated oils for one. They might lead to disease over time. Throwing off the omega 3:6 ratio is also an issue.

But mostly it's nutrient density. It's definitely easier to eat 300 calories of jellybeans than it is to eat 300 calories of broccoli.

Luckily, nature sorted all that out. Most natural foods eaten in reasonable quantities have enough fiber and protein to fill you up before you overeat. It still comes down to calories, but you likely won't have to weigh and count if you just eat those natural foods. Especially if you're a male who's active enough to play hockey.
transfats are the ONLY nutrient group that has been conclusively linked to any sort of disease. even sugar (refined or not) isn't an established cause of diabetes when overall caloric consumption is within "normal" numbers. just like salt isn't shown to cause high blood pressure.

i tend to agree that there's very little reasoning behind "clean" and "dirty" eating habits. the overall calories is by far the most important measuring stick, and protein intake is the next most important, and everything else is pretty much negligible.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
drivesrf

strength and conditioning

Does anyone have a good strength and conditioning workout program or know where to get one?? Thanks!

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Bodybuilding.com forum

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

The best workout so to speak is individual, therefore ask a personal trainer for his advice its a bit costy but very very well worth every penny.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:27 AM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
The best workout so to speak is individual, therefore ask a personal trainer for his advice its a bit costy but very very well worth every penny.
no. a random personal trainer is way more likely to be an idiot with some certifications, rather than someone who knows anything useful.

invest in this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...SIN=0982522738

come back when you've reached respectable strength levels.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:48 AM
drivesrf

thanks all, basically what I was looking for is I guess an NHL off season type workout to get back in shape for the season.

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:46 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
You need to do more than lift weights.

Developing endurance & explosiveness are just as important. You can learn a lot by reading on your own. A good personal trainer is also a good investment, you can learn from them & get experience about different types of exercise equipment.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
transfats are the ONLY nutrient group that has been conclusively linked to any sort of disease. even sugar (refined or not) isn't an established cause of diabetes when overall caloric consumption is within "normal" numbers. just like salt isn't shown to cause high blood pressure.

i tend to agree that there's very little reasoning behind "clean" and "dirty" eating habits. the overall calories is by far the most important measuring stick, and protein intake is the next most important, and everything else is pretty much negligible.
True, but the science is not yet conclusive on a lot of these issues. MAY be linked to, regardless of what the three-letter special interest groups claim.

Again it comes down to, in my opinion anyway, the flavors and calories being so highly concentrated that it throws hormones out of whack, causing overeating, and in turn causing diseases and obesity.