HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How much for Joe Thornton

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
How much for Joe Thornton

I think copperandblue said in another thread that Joe Thornton was tired of playing against trap teams and was threatening to retire. The Oilers are everything BUT a trap team and are seriously lacking a number one centre.... like Joe.

So..... just because I'm bored at work, how much would it take for the Oilers to pry Joe Thornton out of the Bruins grubby hands?

How about Comrie + 2004 1st round pick + Horcoff and a pick of either Isbister or Chimera? Or what else would it take?

This doesn't address our defensive problems however.

Our lines would look like

Smyth - Thornton - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvorak
RPM
whoever...

P.S. I realize that the Bruins don't want to give up Thornton. Its just for fun....

Old
11-12-2003, 12:13 PM
dem

Thornton is going nowhere.
Damn you with your ps..

Anyway..
Maybe um.. Smyth, York, and Brewer?

Old
11-12-2003, 12:14 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
P.S. I realize that the Bruins don't want to give up Thornton. Its just for fun....
Haha.. what we could offer wouldn't nearly be enough. We could offer Smyth plus Hemsky plus Brewer and I don't think the Bruins would make the deal. Big talented centers that can dominate games never come around often.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I think copperandblue said in another thread that Joe Thornton was tired of playing against trap teams and was threatening to retire. The Oilers are everything BUT a trap team and are seriously lacking a number one centre.... like Joe.

So..... just because I'm bored at work, how much would it take for the Oilers to pry Joe Thornton out of the Bruins grubby hands?

How about Comrie + 2004 1st round pick + Horcoff and a pick of either Isbister or Chimera? Or what else would it take?

This doesn't address our defensive problems however.

Our lines would look like

Smyth - Thornton - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvorak
RPM
whoever...

Lowe: Hey Mike, K-Lo here, I like Thornton.
O'Connell: 'click'

Lowe: Hey Mike, K-Lo again...I am willing to pay large.
O'Connell: 'click'

Lowe: OK...I get the picture...you don't want to move Thornton...but what if I...?
O'Connell: 'CLICK'

Thornton's problem isn't with the team he is on...it is the 20+ teams that clutch and grab.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:20 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Thornton can't stand playing teams that use the trap.

The Oilers don't use the trap.

If Thornton plays for the Oilers, that's one less team he plays against that doesn't use the trap.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:37 PM
krooky

I'm tired of people coming on here and saying stuff like "who should the Oil deal for...Thornton,Heatly,Kovalchuk,Gaborik,or Lecavalier". These guys are all UNTOUCHABLE. And even if they were to be had, there is no way in the world they are coming to Edmonton!

Old
11-12-2003, 02:37 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
"P.S. I realize that the Bruins don't want to give up Thornton. Its just for fun...."

Old
11-12-2003, 02:47 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
jeez ppl - the guys put in his post it was just for fun. If you don't want to listen or partake in the discusion simply leave. As for me, I like making up compeletly fake trade scenerios sometimes just for fun, so I'll say to ppl who are willing to dream:
Brewer, Smyth, Hemsky
for
Thornton, Boynton

The Bruins would be stupid not to take a Hemsky/Smyth/Brewer package, and the Oilers would be stupid to offer that. I mean those three are a strong core of a team in a few years, Thornton is great, but only one man.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:20 PM
outKast*

It's great to dream but it wont happen. Getting Thornton in Edmonton silks would involve a lot of begging and pleading along with a gross over-payment (think along the lines Hemsky, Poulliot, Niinimaki, 1st [kinda like the roman Hamrlik deal])

<sup>In the Hamrlik deal we gave up "The next Mario Lemeiux" (Jason Bonsignore), a future "first liner" (Steve Kelly), A Solid player (Brian Marchment) and picks for Hamrlik and P.Comrie..i think.

Now i'm not comparing Poulliot and Niinimaki to those 2 first round flops, but they are first rounders none the less and their potential is quite atttractive and would be needed to get Thornton. Also, Hamrlik was a first overall pick just like Thornton so yes, he was very highly touted.</sup>

Old
11-12-2003, 06:51 PM
BruinFan42

If you want Thornton, It would take Comrie, York, Brewer and a high pick for MOC to start listening.....

I have to say, I LOVE your team. I love how they're style of play has "The Trap Can Kiss my Ass!" written all over it. It's fun, it's exciting, and the players you have are so much fun to watch. I personally root for the Oilers every chance I get. I really hope you guys get a good return for Comrie, good luck the rest of the season.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:02 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

great post bruins fan, thank you. they are certainly exciting to watch and in the next couple of years with a new cba in place perhaps this team can compete for the Stanley Cup.
i enjoy watching the bruins even though they are not one of my favorite teams however watching thornton, knuble and murray out there is a lot of fun and a real treat. what a line. good luck to the bruins for the rest of the year.

Old
11-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Master Lok

Smyth, Brewer and York huh? hmmm......

We do have a share of kids coming up.... Pouliot, Lynch, Rita, Mikhov, Salmoleinen, Niiniimaki... could make some room for them...

LOL...

thanks Thome. This post was just for fun. Its why I enjoy hockey pools so much too.

Closed Thread