Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Claims Grant Clitsome Off Waivers

Old
02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Any word on if Schultz will be making it into Winnipeg in time to suit up for the Oilers tonight? Hope not.

Not like he'd be a determining factor, but he's a decent defenseman and don't need their roster getting an adrenaline boost from a new roster addition.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
South Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Neither are close to NHL ready (DeSantis does not even have an NHL contract). Kulda needs to be in the NHL next year. Postma is also waiver eligible next year. I am hoping that the Clitsome pickup is a tryout, and if he plays well it will allow them to release Flood in the off-season, he is an AHLer in my mind. Jones is useless, he will be released in off-season. This gives them a proven depth defenseman, that they can play in #7 role without hurting them, something they have lacked.

Stuart - Kulda/Postma
Clitsome

Are the bottom 3 next year, at least they should be, IMO.
Jones "useless". You've got to be kidding! He's more reliable on defence than you give him credit for.

South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Because Scott Howsen runs the Blue Jackets

Be nice! I'm sure it's hard doing what he's doing! Whatever you want to call that...

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
Jones "useless". You've got to be kidding! He's more reliable on defence than you give him credit for.
You've got to be kidding. Randy Jones is the worst defenseman in the NHL. Absolutely HORRID.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
QFT

02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
You've got to be kidding. Randy Jones is the worst defenseman in the NHL. Absolutely HORRID.
Thats something you hear alot, yet THIS year he's been very serviceable. His reputation, unfortunately, preceeded him.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Jones will NEVER get any credit around here.

Worst defenceman in the NHL? He has been very steady for us this season. He is what he is: a 6/7 defenceman.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Any follow up to that?

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I can think of a lot of very bad d-man that are playing in the NHL. Jones is a very serviceable 7th d-man. Especially with the depth on D that we have, we're not going to be icing the worst D-man in the league.

In fact his last few games he's played quite well.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I for one am not a fan of Randy Jones. Hated the signing from day one, but if he were the worst D-Man in the NHL like most have been saying for the past few years, he wouldn't be in the NHL anymore.

NOT THE CASE. He is just a serviceable vet that has experience and makes you nervous when he has the puck in his zone from time to time.

He comes with the pre conceived notion that he is just that, THE WORST DEFENSEMAN in the NHL. Think he earned that reputation in Philly.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
After watching him for a full season in LA, I had to agree with Canadian North at the start of the year. He was beyond awful. Pre-season did nothing to change that.

After watching ~56 Jets games this year I have softened my stance. He is a #7, that can play sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing, with some 2nd unit PK time. He cannot be up against fast forwards, his foot speed is just not up to par. His positioning is poor and he does turn it over too often to be a true defensive defenseman. He does get the puck out, he works hard, uses what limited skills he has effectively. If he is used correctly, he can for sure be a 35-55 game #7 guy that plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing and helping 2nd PK unit when needed.

I forget we have plenty of Jones defenders here, I should have clarified. He is useless FOR THE JETS. Next year we have Kulda is a great young very good skating, safe, makes a great first pass and handles the puck real well defensive defenseman who is more than ready. They just brought in a thick, solid guy who can be a #6/7 in Clitsome. Both are better options as #6/7 than Jones. They already have a defensive guy in the bottom pairing in Stuart. Paul Postma is also waiver eligible next year and will be pushing for ice as well. They may bring back Meech as a #7 contender. There is just no need for a 31 year #7 in this organization that brings what he does. Which is why Jones has been a healthy scratch so often. It's just the facts with a deep blueline like the Jets have.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
After watching him for a full season in LA, I had to agree with Canadian North at the start of the year. He was beyond awful. Pre-season did nothing to change that.

After watching ~56 Jets games this year I have softened my stance. He is a #7, that can play sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing, with some 2nd unit PK time. He cannot be up against fast forwards, his foot speed is just not up to par. His positioning is poor and he does turn it over too often to be a true defensive defenseman. He does get the puck out, he works hard, uses what limited skills he has effectively. If he is used correctly, he can for sure be a 35-55 game #7 guy that plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing and helping 2nd PK unit when needed.

I forget we have plenty of Jones defenders here, I should have clarified. He is useless FOR THE JETS. Next year we have Kulda is a great young very good skating, safe, makes a great first pass and handles the puck real well defensive defenseman who is more than ready. They just brought in a thick, solid guy who can be a #6/7 in Clitsome. Both are better options as #6/7 than Jones. They already have a defensive guy in the bottom pairing in Stuart. Paul Postma is also waiver eligible next year and will be pushing for ice as well. They may bring back Meech as a #7 contender. There is just no need for a 31 year #7 in this organization that brings what he does. Which is why Jones has been a healthy scratch so often. It's just the facts with a deep blueline like the Jets have.
I chalk this up as win for Jet and I, Holden has conceeded that Randy Jones, is in fact an NHL player!
Who said trade deadline day is overhyped, I'm happy.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Ulf Hullberg

It would appear Noel & Huddy seem to think Jones does a very good job filling in, and TBH, I have seen no reason to question that.

I also really like what Flood has done when filling in, and I also like the Clitsome acquistion.

If you look around the league, #7/8 d-men who have NHL experience or are NHL-ready are not in abundance.

All that being said...will Jones be back next year - I highly doubt it.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
Quote:
This sadly.

Sad to see Clitsome go. Good guy that is a solid 5/6 defender and obviously has a well...interesting name .

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Aerial

If anyone else tuned into Hustler and Lawless, Chipman said there had been several other claims put in for Clitsome by teams above us in the standings. Knowing that makes me a little more positive, I was undecided how I felt about him.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:22 PM
almostawake

Quote:
If he's so good why was he waived?
Hmmm, thought I already explained this. Wait, I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
This post is not directed only at you, but folks have to look at CBJ's defense before saying stuff like this. Now that they've acquired Johnson they have 4 legit top 4 guys (Johnson, Tyutin, Nikitin, and Wiz).

After that Moore is 21 and a very promising prospect and basically a lock for ice time now that CBJ has given up. Savard is also 21 and a guy that they're trying to get a look at down the stretch.

Methot is out for the year but is a pretty good 4/5 defenceman that will be back next year.

Basically, CBJ has 5 guys that would be more than welcome in our top 6, a top prospect that they're choosing to play and another young defenceman that they've decided to give a shot down the stretch. As a result Clitsome is just caught up in the numbers game.

Is he a world beater, no. But just because the worst team in the league is giving him up does not mean that he cannot contribute to our team going forward.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I chalk this up as win for Jet and I, Holden has conceeded that Randy Jones, is in fact an NHL player!
Who said trade deadline day is overhyped, I'm happy.
What's this? Holden said he loves Randy Jones and we should re-sign him for 3years/4MM per?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Looking at the +/- stats, our best Dmen are Hainsey +6, Kulda +3, Flood +2, and Meech/Enstrom/Jones together at +1. Oduya was around -8, I can't find him on either the Jets or Blackhawks website. To win games, you gotta score more than you let in. BTW, Clitsome had the best Dman +/- numbers on Columbus. It'll be interesting to see what he can do in Winnipeg.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:09 PM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Looking at the +/- stats, our best Dmen are Hainsey +6, Kulda +3, Flood +2, and Meech/Enstrom/Jones together at +1. Oduya was around -8, I can't find him on either the Jets or Blackhawks website. To win games, you gotta score more than you let in. BTW, Clitsome had the best Dman +/- numbers on Columbus. It'll be interesting to see what he can do in Winnipeg.
Thats saying something for that team, many of their players are well below -10. I hope this one works out!!

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
puck stoppa

I liked Jones all year long, steady dman that can kill penalties as well. And everyone keeps forgetting how hot Jones' wife/gf is!

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Dear Mr. Clitsome, please get here as soon as possible.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Jones lived up to his billing tonight, Bogo back Clits in, Flood to St. Johns and Jones sitting next to Fehr in the press box, can't happen soon enough.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
I'm ready to see what Clitsy can do. You have to think Bogo is just about ready since he took the warmup tonight. My guess, barring any more injuries we may not see much more of Jones or Flood this year.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I'm ready to see what Clitsy can do. You have to think Bogo is just about ready since he took the warmup tonight. My guess, barring any more injuries we may not see much more of Jones or Flood this year.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Yeah he isn't on the main page anymore but his bio page is still stashed away in there somewhere.

He was at 2g, 11a, and -9 at the time he was traded.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote