HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rick Nash (before/after deadline)

Old
02-28-2012, 12:02 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 500
Rick Nash (before/after deadline)

Before you would think(and Howson stupidly agrees publicly) that Nash is more valuable teams not knowing he asked for a trade.

Now, we know he wants out and only wants to go to a limited amount of teams.

Isn't that Dany Heatley value?

(Michalek + Cheechoo + 2nd rounder for Heatley and a 5th rounder)

Last edited by A1LeafNation: 02-28-2012 at 12:42 AM.
A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:04 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

He won't return as much as he would have if he did the deal today, in my opinion. Howson is in for a tough ride.

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Much Much less. If the rumours are true from NYR of a top 6 forward, 2 top prospects and two picks... basically take the picks out and that's what CBJ will get later.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Much Much less. If the rumours are true from NYR of a top 6 forward, 2 top prospects and two picks... basically take the picks out and that's what CBJ will get later.
I think they wanted 4 pieces: Top 6 forward + 2 great prospects + 1st rounder.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
I think they wanted 4 pieces: Top 6 forward + 2 great prospects + 1st rounder.
Yes but, as per the other thread, that was what CBJ asked for originally... NY bit on Sunday, Howson decided to raise the price higher... Rangers bit again today... Howson again refused and raised the price again... Rangers gave up.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

WAY WAY less than today. About 1/2 the price.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:19 AM
sal00

From what the rumors have been faring, it seems like CBJ wants the best young NHL roster player on your team + 2nd/3rd line roster player + blue chip prospect + 1st

For San Jose he wanted Couture
For NYR he asked for MDZ or MCD + Stephan
For TOR he wanted Gardiner

Pretty sure if Vancouver made a run, as rumored, then he probably asked for Hodgson or Edler as center piece

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
boredmale

I am guessing Howson's hope is if Nash wants to be traded he will give them more options at the draft

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:37 AM
FANonymous

I would guess that Howson is more interested in at least one solid NHLer coming back in a trade and not just a bunch prospects/futures. It would theoretically be easier to obtain a high end roster player when a team isn't a month away from the playoffs.

Perhaps the overall value was fair, but the specific pieces weren't what he was looking for. That's the only thing I can imagine at this point. That or Howson is just a buffoon.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:51 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

If he's not traded by the draft, he will get a horrible return on Nash.

If Nash didn't have the list and the NMC, this would be a completely different ball game, but everyone will look for UFA fixes before going the trade route with Nash, and with Parise most likely not signing early, it will hurt Nash's value even more because Howson will be up against the clock to make a deal.

Howson took a gamble playing chicken with Sather, and let me tell you right now, other general managers don't win that game with Sather. It's a gamble that most likely won't pay off.

I still want to know what the "mammoth offer" was from the Rangers that Dreger tweeted about. I have a feeling Howson will be kicking himself when it comes summertime and teams are stalling on trading for Nash due to UFA options and looking to put Howson at an even bigger disadvantage leverage wise.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
If he's not traded by the draft, he will get a horrible return on Nash.

If Nash didn't have the list and the NMC, this would be a completely different ball game, but everyone will look for UFA fixes before going the trade route with Nash, and with Parise most likely not signing early, it will hurt Nash's value even more because Howson will be up against the clock to make a deal.

Howson took a gamble playing chicken with Sather, and let me tell you right now, other general managers don't win that game with Sather. It's a gamble that most likely won't pay off.

I still want to know what the "mammoth offer" was from the Rangers that Dreger tweeted about. I have a feeling Howson will be kicking himself when it comes summertime and teams are stalling on trading for Nash due to UFA options and looking to put Howson at an even bigger disadvantage leverage wise.
Dubinsky + Thomas + Erixon + Miller + 1st Rounder, was turned down by Howson apparently LOL.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Dubinsky + Thomas + Erixon + Miller + 1st Rounder, was turned down by Howson apparently LOL.
Howson really wanted Del Zotto I think... problem now is he's going to get far less than what he could have gotten and Nash is probably fuming.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Yes but, as per the other thread, that was what CBJ asked for originally... NY bit on Sunday, Howson decided to raise the price higher... Rangers bit again today... Howson again refused and raised the price again... Rangers gave up.
How do you know that?

Man thats a heavy pricetag, come July 1 Howson will get less for him, because there will be other options he clearly ****ed the bed on that one.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:30 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

I dont understand why Howson told everyone Nash requested a trade, all it does is lower his value since teams are gonna realize he has to trade him.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
I dont understand why Howson told everyone Nash requested a trade, all it does is lower his value since teams are gonna realize he has to trade him.
Simple he wanted to create a bidding war using the media to drive up the pricetag even more, he gambled and lost simple as that.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Crisp Breakout

I honestly don't think Howson announcing that will affect the value. He's basically saying Nash is available to the highest bidder at the draft. I don't worry that he'll find fair value, but the tactics he will have to take are going to lead to a very messy split. Personally I hope it blows up in his face and he's canned.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:39 AM
gonegonegone*

i thnk nash's trade value was already lowish from the ntc. only 5 or 6 teams were even on that list to begin with (sj, van, nyr, toronto, kings?). also his contract is awful. so long and at almost 8 mil? ouch. howson's asking price was way way too high, it shouldn't surprise anyone that no one bit.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:41 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Howson really wanted Del Zotto I think... problem now is he's going to get far less than what he could have gotten and Nash is probably fuming.
I think Columbus will get less and that is part of my problem with Howson's statement I doubt he is around to make the decision. If I was Nash my list of teams actually just shrank, you outed the trade info publicly and turned off the beeping noise on the bus when you tried to do it. He can hope it drives up a bidding war but if what we heard about the New York offers is even remotely true that really hurts. Although I think he should have stuck to his guns a little on it being Krieder in the prospect situation. Either way that is far too many assets to turn down, and it actually kind of sucks for the rest of the league it would have eliminated New York from being serious free agent players for a little while.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:41 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I honestly don't think Howson announcing that will affect the value. He's basically saying Nash is available to the highest bidder at the draft. I don't worry that he'll find fair value, but the tactics he will have to take are going to lead to a very messy split. Personally I hope it blows up in his face and he's canned.
But who's going to bid higher at the draft? It will be the same teams bidding.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Ideally (for Howson) a team like the Rangers falters in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs. Del Zotto wasn't one of the bright spots and the team couldn't score enough. Del Zotto re-signs for around 3 million and suddenly isn't such a great bargain. Parise signs elsewhere. That sets up a scenario in which MDZ is now an available piece.

If something like that doesn't happen, I fear that Howson will tell Nash tough luck. Unless you waive for a team that will give fair value, I will not trade you.

EDIT: This quote makes it pretty clear what Howson's thinking...
Quote:
"We don't have to trade Rick Nash. We're not compelled to trade Rick Nash," Howson said. "We're going to do what's best for our team, and if we can do what's best for our team and accommodate Rick's wishes, that's what we're going to do."

Last edited by Crisp Breakout: 02-28-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:47 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
That is if his list doesn't shrink nobody really knows who is on it. Imagine if he tells them you can trade me to Toronto, Chicago, Detroit (Rumored by LeBrun to chase him if this was a summer deal) or New York. He basically picks two division teams, who know if Toronto really has enough to land him and the exact same package, probably less by an irked New York. He could cross San Jose off altogether, maybe LA, heck maybe New York. I expect some kind of reaction from his camp over this. He has been dishing out classy no comments for weeks and the pc lingo about being a Blue Jacket, even did so today, my guess is his tune is about to change and not in a good way for Columbus by the time they show up to the draft.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:51 AM
boredmale

Quote:
I am guessing Howson's reasoning is that he wants to force Nash to give him a list of more teams if he really wants to leave. Not sure if it's the right thing to do outing Nash, but the fact is if he only has a small amount of teams he is willing to go to and wants to be traded it does make him(ie Nash) look somewhat bad and might force his hand to be more willing to go to other teams

Last edited by boredmale: 02-28-2012 at 01:56 AM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:53 AM
keslerburrows

A 7th + cap dump.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:55 AM
almostawake

Teams will end up offering more in the off season. To make the trade right now many of the interested teams would have been stuck trying to solve cap problems and fill roster holes on trade deadline day. That's a pretty crappy situation to be in.

In the off season more teams will make legitimate offers and will be much more willing to part with roster players.

As far as Howson announcing that Nash requested a trade, is anyone really naive enough to believe that GMs around the league found that out today. Pretty sure they've effectively known it for a number of days, maybe weeks. By announcing it today Howson is hoping that by the time it happens Jackets fans will be so resigned to it that he doesn't lose his job.

In the offseason Howson will be offered more, and better, roster players. This is what he is looking for because it is what he needs to (temporarily) save his job.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:56 AM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am guessing Howson's reasoning is that he wants to force Nash to give him a list of more teams if he really wants to leave
Do people not realize that this whole fiasco has the potential to turn Columbus into an even bigger laughing stock? Nash can say no, continue to play half-assed and unmotivated on the league's biggest bottom feeder and hurt the team's chance at achieving respectability in the next six years.

Howson should get rid of him. Trade him to the highest bidder and don't look back. Nash doesn't want to be a part of that horribly run franchise anymore so it's best to cut their losses and move on. The pieces they can get from New York, Toronto, etc., should be more than enough to help with the massive rebuilding project they have on their hands.

TheDoctorLies is offline   Reply With Quote