HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 12:33 AM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
He hasn't been hitting people either. That's highly unusual for him. I find it odd.
He wasn't hitting people in the beginning of the season either.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:

He has not done anything resembling that hit since going down with injury.

And in Philly, he did that to people ALL THE TIME. If not for his bell being rung being an issue, I can't think of a single solitary reason why he shouldn't be doing this right now. That's what everyone expected from him.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Theav8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Mike Richards

Is playing like the rest of our talented scoring forwards and will do allot better once we hire a GM and coach who can take our team in a better direction.

I am one of the last people to give up on DL but this is so much a case of history repeating itself it isn't funny. I love the team that we have and feel that we are still a legitimate LW sniper away from being great team and we are much better then we are showing.

Sounds allot like DL's final days in SJ.

Mike Richards is fine and will be a great player for us for years to come. I am not worried about him at all.

I hate to admit it but I am getting on board with the regime change set.
I'm with you...I have been overly patient and have been one of the stronger DL supporters...but I have just about seen enough to really changing my mindset that we need a regime change. Not one that comes in and rebuilds and tears this all down. We have so many very good pieces in place, that we just need someone to come in and implement a new philosophy and change the culture.

I'll admit, I was addicted to the kool-aid for a long time...even when I started souring on DL a little, he makes the Carter deal, and I think to myself, OK, I'll give him some more time...but something about tonight's game just finally put me over the edge. I am convinced that what ever it is that ails us, it has to do with the structure, system, philosophy, culture etc. Sure some of its on the players, but I think we have a large enough sample size to realize what happens to players that come into this system, and then what happens when they leave and go to another system. Heck, I bet Penner signs somewhere like Toronto for cheap and he scores 20 next season. Then we can just add his name to the long list of successful players that have left our system.

So, I am with you Tonellisghost, and I am now convinced that we have to make a complete top level set of changes after this season. Someone has to be accountable for this swirling down the toilet of a season. I still like the MR deal, but something needs to change because I can see myself souring on him after another season if he doesn't get it turned around...and maybe that means I have to give him more time under new management to see if he returns to form...so for me the jury is still out...

Old
02-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

The negative nancy types are fun.

They always come out after a loss to make sure everyone knows "weeee weee I feel right today cause the Kings lost weeeeee"

Lol I ain't even mad. This stuff is downright hilarious. It's like we should have a bet going in the GDTs on losses about how long it will take before

A) A thread is started by Herby, PSP, TOMD, or

B) a post is made about what dire straights the team is in and how we are hopeless.

Taking bets starting now.

I got 5 bucks on 10 minutes after the next loss option B occurs.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:49 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Wasn't it reported that Mike Richards actually went to Dean Lombardi and told him the reason he's struggling is because he hasn't been playing with Carter?
No, it wasn't and you knew that when you posted it. You've made it pretty clear that you don't like Richards, that's fine, but why would you invent something like thiis ? For what reason? Why would you possibly gain by this?

Mike Richards found out about Carter the day of the trade when DL spoke to him and that is on a video at the Kings website. That was the only time they talked about him.

I live in Philly, I've him since his days with the Phantoms (AHL) and thru end of Nov, he was having his best year, not just the 11 G and 20 points in 24 games, but for strong defensive play in his own zone , playing with an attitude, and especially defending his teammates when they're run at, which is a big part of who he is.
But that head injury changed everything. And it's only been since the game (1-0 loss) to St Louis a couple weeks ago that he began to play better.
I 've never hjad a concussion but I can't imagine playing hockey post concussion is a lot of fun.
He has to pick up his offensive game, he knows that...You think he likes having the worst season of his career?
He's just one of many players, including the other top playerrs, who are underacheiving and they all have to play better.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

They always come out after a loss to make sure everyone knows "weeee weee I feel right today cause the Kings lost weeeeee"

Lol I ain't even mad. This stuff is downright hilarious. It's like we should have a bet going in the GDTs on losses about how long it will take before

B) a post is made about what dire straights the team is in and how we are hopeless.

So, let me get this straight - you really don't care if they win or lose or how they play. You're just thrilled to watch and cheer.....

Old
02-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
No, it wasn't and you knew that when you posted it. You've made it pretty clear that you don't like Richards, that's fine, but why would you invent something like thiis ? For what reason? Why would you possibly gain by this?
I saw it with my own eyes. It was on one of the reports on either SportsNet or TSN about a week ago and the panel was saying Lombardi was looking for more offense and it was reported that Richards was discussing his struggles with him and mentioned Carter was a contributing factor in his success in Philly, so look for the Kings to go after Carter if they couldn't get Nash. Why would I "make it up"? And I don't hate Mike Richards, but I think he's overrated and think his "legend" is blown out of proportion, especially as an NHL captain.

And you live in Philly? So do I. Camac street in South Philly. Lived in Philly for 49 years.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:01 AM
tomd

Quote:

The 3 posters you mentioned above along with others like Johnny Utah have been much more right than wrong since the beginning of the year.

Think about it...how many people were excoriating Lombardi in October? Very few but yours truly was one of them. Now, all but the most purple kool-aid drinkers are disillusioned by the disaster Lombardi has created.

You should give the negative types a bit more credit than you do...especially when they have been mostly right...

Old
02-28-2012, 01:06 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:

Then just don't read our posts then. All of us have been here alot longer than you. Who are you to come in here and tell us what we can and can't post. Some of us saw the writing on the wall with Dean Lombardi a long time ago, some of us argued about the trading of talent, the lack of skilled players being drafted or the total focus paid to nothing but defense, but you wouldn't know that since you have been here a whopping 5 months.

Or should we be more like you and say everything is going to be ok. That we should sing the praises of the 9th place team in the West that has the worst offense in the league.

Enjoy your kool-aid.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:06 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
The 3 posters you mentioned above along with others like Johnny Utah have been much more right than wrong since the beginning of the year.

Think about it...how many people were excoriating Lombardi in October? Very few but yours truly was one of them. Now, all but the most purple kool-aid drinkers are disillusioned by the disaster Lombardi has created.

You should give the negative types a bit more credit than you do...especially when they have been mostly right...
Put that baby to bed.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
These guys are very good defensively...
Maybe they are. But you are taking the comment in another direction rather than talking about the real issue.

The fact remains, there is nothing wrong with a one dimensional offensive player. In DL's mind (and in yours to) if a guy isn't a Selke candidate he isn't worth paying top dollar to, drafting in the 1st round or trading for. And that strategy is flawed, and yet another reason this team can't score goals. Just not enough pure offensive talent. Carter is a nice start, but they still need an elite talent on the wing. and if he is below average defensively, who cares.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:17 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
saw it with my own eyes. It was on one of the reports on either SportsNet or TSN about a week ago and the panel was saying Lombardi was looking for more offense and it was reported that Richards was discussing his struggles with him and mentioned Carter was a contributing factor in his success in Philly
Okay, well first that not quite how you phrased it and it's still a whisper down the lane effect. You're not sure who said it, but some member of a panel theorized that a conversation took place. That's not factual, it's speculation and poor speculaton at that. And if that idiot Craig Button was involved, I'm not surprised. But if you had typed it as above, it wouldn't have come off as badly.

Code:
And you live in Philly? So do I. Camac street in South Philly. Lived in Philly for 49 years.
I grew up Frankford/Oxford Circle area but now live in Far NE, near Bensalem. You're lucky ,South Philly is still a pretty solid stronghold (and the heart of Flyers country!) . I'm a little older than you and remember when you could identify the neighborhood with a strong ethic and family (generations buying in the same area ) supported area. It breaks my heart to see some of those areas changing quickly .

Old
02-28-2012, 01:18 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Maybe they are. But you are taking the comment in another direction rather than talking about the real issue.

The fact remains, there is nothing wrong with a one dimensional offensive player. In DL's mind (and in yours to) if a guy isn't a Selke candidate he isn't worth paying top dollar to, drafting in the 1st round or trading for. And that strategy is flawed, and yet another reason this team can't score goals. Just not enough pure offensive talent. Carter is a nice start, but they still need an elite talent on the wing. and if he is below average defensively, who cares.
For once, we agree.

Hopefully the next GM & Head coach tandem won't be hell bent on defense. Not saying they should be Boudreau's Caps before last season, but just a coach and system that will look to generate offense. Rather then preaching defense first, second and third, hoping to win 2-1.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Johnny Utah

I posted this in another thread and was flamed and almost thrown off hfboards.

The Kings loved the "idea" of Mike Richards....but I don't. I actually like the Carter deal, but I hate the Richards deal...still.

Richards stats are decreasing every year and it's not like he is in the greatest shape. So this ain't getting better.

I have to say he is one of the most over rated players the Kings have acquired. I have seen very little to be impressed with, minus a few short handed goals back in 2011.

Part of the Kings identity and success the past couple years was big forwards cycling and our third line of Poni/Frolov-Handzus-Simmonds. That is gone now. Replaced with Penner-Stoll-Lewis. Two bums and a bust.

Simmonds is having a career year and Richards is having a career worst year and that's NOT including promising Schenn or the 2nd round pick or the fact Simmonds is only 23 and Richards just turned 27.

Hated the trade in July, hate it today and will hate it until the 9 year deal to Richards is over. Quote me on it.

I partly blame Terry Murray also for his misuse of Simmonds; I would like to have seen what Sutter would have done with Wayne.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Johnny Utah

The best part is Flyers are in the playoffs and Flyers fans love Simmonds and don't really miss Richards while the Kings are out of the playoffs and a lot of us are disappointed in Mike....

Old
02-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Mike Richards had his eggs scrambled by Bergenheim and since returning has been skating with two of the dumbest human beings to ever lace up skates for long portions of the season.
true and funniest thing I read all day.

Also MR is a friggin boss. Don't care if he hasn't scored his time for beastmode will come.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Johnny Utah

Lombardi made that move to make the Kings better. If we miss the playoffs it's a fail.

The Handzus UFA departure, the Richards deal, the Smyth deal...all those can be considered reasons why we didn't make the playoffs...and that falls on Lombardi.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post

Quote:
Then just don't read our posts then. All of us have been here alot longer than you. Who are you to come in here and tell us what we can and can't post. Some of us saw the writing on the wall with Dean Lombardi a long time ago, some of us argued about the trading of talent, the lack of skilled players being drafted or the total focus paid to nothing but defense, but you wouldn't know that since you have been here a whopping 5 months.

Or should we be more like you and say everything is going to be ok. That we should sing the praises of the 9th place team in the West that has the worst offense in the league.

Enjoy your kool-aid.

I almost choked on how much sense of entitlement is coming off of these posts.

I never ever once said that you guys COULDN'T post anything. But just the same way you all ridicule us and call everyone who doesn't agree with you a "Kool-aid drinker" we can shoot that **** right back at you and call you a bunch of negative nancy chicken littles.

Deal with it. You expect everyone to deal with your ****, well don't get all anal when people come back at you. I laugh almost 99.9% of what you say off cause you guys are pure amusement. Like clockwork. EVERY LOSS one of the..I dunno 5 or 6 of you start a huge old 'I told ya so!' rant and pat yourself on the back for 10+ posts saying "I called this a long time ago but none of you would listen!". It's the same old story alllll the time. I love it. I could seriously set my watch by it. Doesn't upset me, don't care at all, not telling you you can't do it at all. Please continue to do so. Be my guest. I just find it completely and utterly amusing.

And look I have been here 5 months, but I've followed hockey, i've followed the Kings for 20 years. Just because I haven't strutted my ego around on a message board for more then 6 months doesn't mean I am any less entitled to an opinion, just like you.

I think i'll start saving a lot of these interactions though, because I know some psychology students who could use great case studies or examples of Narcissists.

*eats popcorn*

You want to talk hockey? We can talk hockey. You want to talk about how you are right for 50 posts and how we are all foolish kool-aid drinkers who don't listen to the great gospel of your posts. Forget it.

To add to this post and get it back on topic. I for one am not saying this team is perfect at all. We have a terrible offense, and we are currently out of the playoffs. We played a tough game tonight against a tough opponent. There isn't a need to freak out. It's not like we lost convincingly to Columbus LIKE WE HAVE EARLIER IN THE YEAR.

I don't think anyone on here is saying this team is perfect by any means. But it's not the complete and utter train wreck you paint the picture of. Mike Richards is not overrated, Anze Kopitar is not overrated, Dustin Brown is not a ****** captain, Dean Lombardi is not the devil.

There is a line between being realistic and then being self deprecating and then just being plain annoying.

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 02-28-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old
02-28-2012, 02:40 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Old
02-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
i know this won't make me many friends here...........

but have anyone of you ever thought about why a team is easily giving up
on their "Star Players" like Richards and Carter and giving them away for peanuts ?

Old
02-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

on their "Star Players" like Richards and Carter and giving them away for peanuts ?
Well according to a select few. Simmonds, Schenn and Johnson were not peanuts. They were the next comings of christ in a hockey uniform. And we traded them away for a couple of overrated drunks.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:27 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

the flyers didnt give them away for peanuts. if carter becomes penner 2.0 the kings will though.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:37 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

Enjoy your kool-aid.

I sometimes see myself seeing eye to eye with your views, but you always find a way to take it too far. Jaygokings said it much better than I will, but your "I've been here longer then you" schtick is truly pathetic. Length of membership to a message board does not make you more knowledgeable then anyone else or your opinion more right. Perhaps you should come down off of your high horse and promptly remove whatever is jammed up your posterior.

Last edited by ScoreZeGoals: 02-28-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old
02-28-2012, 03:55 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Hey guys wanted to post real quick in regards to Richards struggles as of late, obviously he had his bell rung pretty good, which I think affected him but in my opinion is not really having as off a year as the stats would suggest.

First off he hits hard its a part of his game, and yes he used to do it more frequently but being honest, this is a guy thats had surgery on both his shoulders at the end of the year for the last 2 years, keep that in mind when talking about him hitting not as much or as hard anyway. 2nd if you look at his stats from the years that mattered

07-08 was his coming out year of sorts he put up 28 G 47 A for 75 pts in 73 games

08-09 he put up 30 G 50 A for 80 points in 79 Games.

09-10 John Stevens is out Laviolette in 31 G 31 A 62 points 82 games

Richards was always more known for his defense first and physicality 2nd and his point production 3rd. He was typically utilized in a more traditional 3rd line C role on our team often paired with the rookies and less talented players on our roster like Carcillo, Nodl, Giroux, (before he turned into a stud). It allowed us to basically let those guys that were on his wings go go go on offense because he was so stellar defenseively. Point is though once he got known for his defense he got better at it personally I think hes one of the best 2 or 3 Centers in the league defensively but much in the same mold as Yzerman I believe he sacrifices a good portion of his offense to be that good. He's a spectacular player in both zones and hes most likely still a PPG player in a Offensive System but it seems like you guys play more defensively as a team and while he will still give you the stellar defense and probably better now his offensive numbers will take a hit. In the 2 years he was in Laviolette's high powered offensive system he put up 62 and 66 points respectively. He was also hurt through the better part of both those years (Shoulders, Wrist). Hes probably a PPG player in an offensive system like the Flyers ran maybe even a bit more but in a conservative system probably closer to 70~ with Selke considerations when injury free.

And hes money in the playoffs, as well as a heart and soul guy who will throw a big hit or two when needed, and do stuff like this.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:01 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Richards was always more known for his defense first and physicality 2nd and his point production 3rd. He was typically utilized in a more traditional 3rd line C role on our team often paired with the rookies and less talented players on our roster like Carcillo, Nodl, Giroux, (before he turned into a stud). It allowed us to basically let those guys that were on his wings go go go on offense because he was so stellar defenseively. Point is though once he got known for his defense he got better at it personally I think hes one of the best 2 or 3 Centers in the league defensively but much in the same mold as Yzerman I believe he sacrifices a good portion of his offense to be that good. He's a spectacular player in both zones and hes most likely still a PPG player in a Offensive System but it seems like you guys play more defensively as a team and while he will still give you the stellar defense and probably better now his offensive numbers will take a hit. In the 2 years he was in Laviolette's high powered offensive system he put up 62 and 66 points respectively. He was also hurt through the better part of both those years (Shoulders, Wrist). Hes probably a PPG player in an offensive system like the Flyers ran maybe even a bit more but in a conservative system probably closer to 70~ with Selke considerations when injury free.

And hes money in the playoffs, as well as a heart and soul guy who will throw a big hit or two when needed
Thanks for your post. Most Kings fans are well aware of his value and what you described in the above, but it's a shame that the fantasy-stat obsessed faction here loves to hate on him for his numbers this year.

Closed Thread