HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Gaustad + 4th to Nashville for 1st

Old
02-28-2012, 03:21 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Saw this on NHL.com

"Honestly, I can easily look at the balanced scorers that (the Predators) have right now. Playing against them is very hard. They play hard. They play the system hard. You look from the goaltender to the defensemen, the forwards, it's a balanced attack. I'm excited to join that group. Wherever they want to fit me and whatever role they need me at, I'll try my best to execute it." -- Paul Gaustad on joining the Predators

No quotes from AK yet about how he feels but I personally like Gaustad's attitude. He knows he's coming into a club that wants to compete and feels he can help an he's taking to the challenge.
I know he was quoted saying "I dont want to go to Nashville, I want to stay in Montreal" last week when the rumor popped but I dont think it was a shot at your team, it's mostly that he really wanted to remain a Habs.

will probably take him some time to feel comfy as a Preds (and say anything of substance), but having ex-teammates like his brother, Gill and Cube should help him out.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Boardish

Quote:
No quotes from AK yet about how he feels but I personally like Gaustad's attitude. He knows he's coming into a club that wants to compete and feels he can help an he's taking to the challenge.
Kostitsyn said to the Montreal media ''Je suis déçu de quitter Montréal, mais heureux d’aller à Nashville. Je vais revoir mon frère et jouer dans les séries. J’ai commencé ma carrière à Montréal. C’est le Canadien qui m’a donné la chance de jouer dans la LNH. Maintenant, je déménage à Nashville. C’est un nouveau défi pour moi. Je ferai de mon mieux pour ma nouvelle équipe''

Which means : ''I'm sad to leave Montreal, but I'm happy to go to Nashville. I will see my brother again and I will play in the playoffs. I started my career in Montreal. It's the Canadiens that gave me a chance to play in the NHL. Now, I'm leaving for Nashville. It's a new challenge for me. I will do my best for my new team.''

I'm translating from french to english, which was already translated from english to french by MTL media haha, so it might not be totally exact. I'm sure he will say more to the Nashville reporters (he's a man of few words though, and Sergei's english is better).

Last edited by Boardish: 02-28-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:57 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Kostitsyn said to the Montreal media ''Je suis déçu de quitter Montréal, mais heureux d’aller à Nashville. Je vais revoir mon frère et jouer dans les séries. J’ai commencé ma carrière à Montréal. C’est le Canadien qui m’a donné la chance de jouer dans la LNH. Maintenant, je déménage à Nashville. C’est un nouveau défi pour moi. Je ferai de mon mieux pour ma nouvelle équipe''

Which means : ''I'm sad to leave Montreal, but I'm happy to go to Nashville. I will see my brother again and I will play in the playoffs. I started my career in Montreal. It's the Canadiens that gave me a chance to play in the NHL. Now, I'm leaving for Nashville. It's a new challenge for me. I will do my best for my new team.''

I'm translating from french to english, which was translated from english to french by MTL media haha, so it might not be totally exact. I'm sure he will say more to the Nashville reporters (he's a man of few words though, and Sergei's english is better).
That's good to hear and comforting to the fans. Sadly we won't be able to hear from him till Wednesday because tomorrow they're meeting the team in Raleigh, NC. They'll get swarmed when they finally get settled into town on Wednesday and then it will finally calm down around Thursday for them.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:22 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
That's good to hear and comforting to the fans. Sadly we won't be able to hear from him till Wednesday because tomorrow they're meeting the team in Raleigh, NC. They'll get swarmed when they finally get settled into town on Wednesday and then it will finally calm down around Thursday for them.
Then I get to go see them live in action down in Florida this weekend!!!

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:57 AM
FoSotC

Always had a soft spot for Nashville and I wish you guys all the best except for this season.

In all seriousness though, take care of the Goose. I think he'll fit in nicely with your team. I'll miss the guy, but as other have said, his time in Buffalo was up. Hope you do some damage in the playoffs, even if that devalues the 1st, haha.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSotC View Post
Always had a soft spot for Nashville and I wish you guys all the best except for this season.

In all seriousness though, take care of the Goose. I think he'll fit in nicely with your team. I'll miss the guy, but as other have said, his time in Buffalo was up. Hope you do some damage in the playoffs, even if that devalues the 1st, haha.
Care to give a brief analysis of him and his skillsets?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:16 AM
FoSotC

Solid bottom-six guy. Great at faceoffs and on the PK and plays with heart. Not quite as physical as his size might indicate, but not exactly a pushover either. Even though he's not the best fighter, he's been known to drop the gloves when needed, though Sabres fans were pretty pissed at him for a while after the whole Lucic-Miller debacle. He can also contribute a point here and there.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Good luck to Paul. He's been a guy I've followed since he was drafted (heck, even had a local radio sports guy hang up on me back in '01 after his great playoff run with the Winterhawks) and have enjoyed watching him. Best of luck to him and the Preds heading into the playoffs! Go far!

02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Is Pahlsson that much less than Gaustad or did we just miss the boat on him because we were focused on PG? Not criticizing, just curious.

I think we picked the wrong type of player to get in a bidding war over, but regardless, he is a Nashville Predator. I am excited to see him in the lineup .

02-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Webersmashpuck

One thing to remember about our higher round picks, when we pick in the below 15th the picks are Blum, Pickard, and Parent. Heck look at 2009's draft from rounds 3 up, we have Craig Smith, Latta, Beck, Eckholm, and Bourque. Sure a 1st is overpayment, but looking at our drafting I really don't care too much about losing that pick and the 4th could end up as a better player anyways.

Gaustad is going to play a big role in what happens in the playoffs, but it will not show up on the scoresheet. I really like this pickup.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Solid bottom-six guy. Great at faceoffs and on the PK and plays with heart. Not quite as physical as his size might indicate, but not exactly a pushover either. Even though he's not the best fighter, he's been known to drop the gloves when needed, though Sabres fans were pretty pissed at him for a while after the whole Lucic-Miller debacle. He can also contribute a point here and there.
He does a fair bit of jawing out there and will hit -- moreso on the wing that at center, but when he gets PO'd, he can be a force along the wall. PKing, faceoffs, etc... are his bread and butter. I imagine some WC centers will be wondering what the hell he's doing when he comes to the dot and changes from shooting left to shooting right for the draw. Frans Nielsen used to get all worked up about it when they faced one another.

In the realm of full disclosure: He's had a shoulder issue since last year, which is part of his problem when fighting -- he's popped it out a couple of times (see the lowlights of his bout with Rupp from last year, total no-show as he blew it out again). He's also not the fastest guy out there, not someone will ever say "skates well for a big man"... he gets there, but it isn't pretty.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Legionnaire11

a low 1st, for a big gritty shutdown guy and a high 4th.

Look at any championship team, they all needed a guy like this to get there. Smithson wasn't going to cut it, Gaustad has a chance, and I imagine if he isn't totally crazy with contract demands that we'd have a high chance of re-signing him. Actually for all 3 pick-ups.

I'm thinking he and Hornqvist together can muck it up pretty good out there. With a Halischuk on their wing, what an amazing 4th line that would be.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
handtrick

Food for thought about those lamenting the 1st rounder that we had to give up for him.

Yea we were over a barrel trading Smithson prior to getting Gaustad, but if Suter doesn't resign, Poile will get that first back when/if he deals Suter's rights just prior to July 1.

If we do resign Suter, the sting of losing that 1st is greatly reduced.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Is Pahlsson that much less than Gaustad or did we just miss the boat on him because we were focused on PG? Not criticizing, just curious.

I think we picked the wrong type of player to get in a bidding war over, but regardless, he is a Nashville Predator. I am excited to see him in the lineup .
What I took from Poile's comments (or maybe it was Fenton) was that the plan was to upgrade Smithson with Gaustad before Smithson was even traded. They put the cart before the horse, so to speak, by dealing Smithson before having a deal done for Gaustad, which likely led to the overpayment.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What I took from Poile's comments (or maybe it was Fenton) was that the plan was to upgrade Smithson with Gaustad before Smithson was even traded. They put the cart before the horse, so to speak, by dealing Smithson before having a deal done for Gaustad, which likely led to the overpayment.
I got a feeling that that 6th rounder for Smithson was a "take it now, or we will go a different direction", offer for Poile.
He therefore had to decide, take it now or risk losing Smithson for nothing and putting him through waivers if and when we got Gaustad.
I think the waivering of Smithson would have been a worse pill [than trading him] for the players to take, especially the ones who really respected him and his longtime selfless contributions to this team.

Last edited by handtrick: 02-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

A 1st, even a low 1st, is probably paying at a premium to get Gaustad. Rest assured though, that he will leave everything on the ice for you, and then some. On a Sabres team that hasn't played hard consistently for years, Goose brought it every single night. Good luck to you guys and I hope you get a long run!

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I thought we had the best shutdown center in the league in Legwand? And Fisher not far behind... And Spaling...
do you want to acknowledge legwand on the sedin line or that fisher and spaling had seperated shoulders?

nah, let's ignore that. no center with a seperated shoulder would have shut that man down last year.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He does a fair bit of jawing out there and will hit -- moreso on the wing that at center, but when he gets PO'd, he can be a force along the wall. PKing, faceoffs, etc... are his bread and butter. I imagine some WC centers will be wondering what the hell he's doing when he comes to the dot and changes from shooting left to shooting right for the draw. Frans Nielsen used to get all worked up about it when they faced one another.
Speaking of which, he's driven Thornton ****ing nuts the past couple of years.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Pahlsson would've been an OK addition...but Gaustad is better.

Gaustad leads Pahlsson in all the categories we were looking for and more.

FO%, points, SH TOI, +/-, hits, blocks, and overall size.

Gaustad is the perfect fit for that position and picking him up at this time is crucial and I can go out on a limb and say he will be one of the best pick-ups we've gotten this deadline.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
You guys got a hell of a player. If someone runs Rinne, he'll be the first one in there punching the guy in the face. I honestly don't think there was 1 person in Buffalo who didn't like him, all the heart in the world. Good pick-up for the playoffs
Quote:

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:28 PM
zbubble

Not only can Gaustad take faceoffs ambidextrously, from time to time they will show him taking draws with the butt end of his stick instead of the blade. And he wins those too.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Food for thought about those lamenting the 1st rounder that we had to give up for him.

Yea we were over a barrel trading Smithson prior to getting Gaustad, but if Suter doesn't resign, Poile will get that first back when/if he deals Suter's rights just prior to July 1.

If we do resign Suter, the sting of losing that 1st is greatly reduced.
I don't recall, has a first rndr ever been traded for the shorterm rights of a pending UFA?

02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I don't recall, has a first rndr ever been traded for the shorterm rights of a pending UFA?
every season

or do you mean just the Preds? Forsberg and Witt, can't think of others right now.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't think putting-the-cart-before-the-horse led to the over payment. I think Poile knew he would be the only one who would be throwing a first rounder at BUF for PG. He already knew any other contender was probably offering only a combination of 2nds or a 2nd & 3rd.

IMO Poile's been ready to overpay ever since he realized neither Suter or Weber would be re-signing intra-season. The #goingforit plan was fully executed yesterday.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
every season

or do you mean just the Preds? Forsberg and Witt, can't think of others right now.
The context is during the off-season, specifically in June (between the end of the playoffs and before the July 1 UFA date).

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote