HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2012 Eklund Rumor Hit Percentage ?

Old
02-28-2012, 02:51 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 500
2012 Eklund Rumor Hit Percentage ?

Just curious...I don't follow him at all but I know he is constantly quoted here...

So what was his final statistics for this deadline, or for the season up to this point ?

How many trades did he call ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Man Bear Pig

My guess is on deadline day he did alright but if you count every rumor he's ever posted? probably 0.00000001 %

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Medium Rare*

He seemed to have Zanon before anyone else I follow on twitter.

But I also think Eklund gets a bit of a raw deal, people ignore that he deals in rumors where as the deadline shows are there to break trades that have actually happened, not as much to report on rumors.

Even if Eklund is correct on 0.3% of his rumors, I would say that's actually pretty good. I have no statistical evidence but I think its safe to say that less than 1 in every 100 trades discussed actually happens. And that is a large chunk of what the guy says, that's why he words things like this:

"team X is interested in player Y"
"team Z is talking to team W"
....etc

by my math if 1 in every 100 trades discussed actually happens and Eklund is right 0.3% of the time, it means he could actually be right closer to 1/3 of the time. Since 99% of the talks he reports on wouldn't actually happen.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Blitzburgh87*

No. He's a joke.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:09 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
He seemed to have Zanon before anyone else I follow on twitter.

But I also think Eklund gets a bit of a raw deal, people ignore that he deals in rumors where as the deadline shows are there to break trades that have actually happened, not as much to report on rumors.

Even if Eklund is correct on 0.3% of his rumors, I would say that's actually pretty good. I have no statistical evidence but I think its safe to say that less than 1 in every 100 trades discussed actually happens. And that is a large chunk of what the guy says, that's why he words things like this:

"team X is interested in player Y"
"team Z is talking to team W"
....etc

by my math if 1 in every 100 trades discussed actually happens and Eklund is right 0.3% of the time, it means he could actually be right closer to 1/3 of the time. Since 99% of the talks he reports on wouldn't actually happen.

before this gets locked

Eklund named a player and ten teams he could get traded--that is not calling a deal

most players that get traded are mentioned in rumours previously and he tosses team names out there

Last edited by jumptheshark: 02-28-2012 at 04:16 AM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:16 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Can't be any good knowing his track record.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:44 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Here's me being very nice: 1% at best.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:45 AM
pSoup

he actually called zanon way before anyone else I was following did (twitter/sportsnet/tsn)

pSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:05 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSoup View Post
he actually called zanon way before anyone else I was following did (twitter/sportsnet/tsn)
Just because he called Zanon doesn't mean he had an inside source, et cetra.

There were rumours well before deadline day of MANY different players being on the trade block that were extremely well published. Add to the fact that he NEVER specified where Zanon was going, only that he was being traded.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
before this gets locked

Eklund named a player and ten teams he could get traded--that is not calling a deal

most players that get traded are mentioned in rumours previously and he tosses team names out there
seems like you aren't understanding what I am saying.

He deals in rumors, not announcing trades/signings. There is a significant difference, unfortunately too many people are unable to differentiate rumor from fact.

and if you are talking about the the Zanon deal I say Eklund tweet he was going to Boston a few minutes before anyone else I follow and I follow alot of reporters from several companies as well as several bloggers

Old
02-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post

There were rumours well before deadline day of MANY different players being on the trade block that were extremely well published. Add to the fact that he NEVER specified where Zanon was going, only that he was being traded.
actually he tweeted to Boston before any of the Snet or TSN guys. It was also before Spectors Hockey or Kulka Korner could tweet or retweet it

Old
02-28-2012, 05:10 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
actually he tweeted to Boston before any of the Snet or TSN guys. It was also before Spectors Hockey or Kulka Korner could tweet or retweet it
Find me a link to his 'successfull call' with a time stamp on it and I'll believe it. Other wise this story of him calling the Zanon trade (With the fact that he was going to Boston) is worth less than one of these:

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:11 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Eklunds credibility will always be an issue until he filters his rumors better, he posts some of the worst, most unrealistic things around and he makes it easy for people to rip him for it.

Don't believe me? just go read a recent example where he stated Dustin Brown would not be in a Kings uniform again come Saturday, instead Brown goes out and nets a hattrick.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:

A lot of people have that idea that he simply makes things up and gets lucky every once in a while, but there were plenty more guys he could've done that for today that were more obvious to move. He also used the e5, which is actually pretty legit.

Plus, educated guessing isn't nearly as successful as people think it is. Look at incarcerated bob, who did it with 5 of the most likely players to move and only went 3 for 5. And that was also him claiming a done deal, not the other rumors he posted. A lot of people hate on Eklund, which is understandable, but between claiming done deals for guys who either didn't get dealt or didn't get dealt for many hours, and the whole "Nash RJ" thing, bob made Ek look amazing this deadline.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Find me a link to his 'successfull call' with a time stamp on it and I'll believe it. Other wise this story of him calling the Zanon trade (With the fact that he was going to Boston) is worth less than one of these:

i'm not digging through twitter just for a post showing he called zanon to boston. honestly, who even gives a ****? he give us something to talk about at the very least, but all people like you do is cry about his credibility. which is pretty dumb considering he deals in rumors. does anyone in any area of life have credibility if they sling rumors all day?

Old
02-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

lol @ people saying he called Zanon...

He said Zanon has been traded(e5), more than an hour went by, and he changed it from e5 to "rumor"... There were already reports that teams were inquiring about Zanon... so it wasn't like saying "Zanon has been traded" meant anything, and I'm pretty sure TSN would have had the trade up in a few minutes at least, not a couple hours after Eklund... he also never stated Boston... just saying.

He called the Cammalleri trade...

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:10 AM
sabresfan3383

Send a message via AIM to sabresfan3383
He was tweeting about how the Sabres were trying to resign Gaustad...during his post deadline presser GM DR then came out and said no extension was ever discussed

sabresfan3383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel View Post

He said Zanon has been traded(e5), more than an hour went by, and he changed it from e5 to "rumor"... There were already reports that teams were inquiring about Zanon... so it wasn't like saying "Zanon has been traded" meant anything, and I'm pretty sure TSN would have had the trade up in a few minutes at least, not a couple hours after Eklund... he also never stated Boston... just saying.

That's awesome. It still amazes me that people pay to see this guys "insider info" when all he does is do what all of us do, listen to actual sources.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

I don't care for Eklund, don't think he's a reputable outlet, and think he's been pretty slimy in the past, but this is a ridiculous post. It takes 5 seconds to do what you're asking, and you're the one trying to disprove something, so why don't YOU go to twitter and get a time stamp?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I am pretty sure he called zanon to Van first, then changed it to Zanon to blank and finally said Zanon to Boston. Don't know the name of the trick but he does that fairly often: pull back on a rumor say the guy will be traded but not to where and then pick a team out of a pile of probables. Hey at least he doesn't use the E system much anymore and I gave him a lot of business during the deadline.
Bait and switch.

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

1%. If that.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel View Post

i can't believe I am looking this up, but i am so sick of people calling others a liar just because they have to believe eklund is wrong

1:07pm Eklund said Zanon traded to Boston
1:11pm Bob McKenzie said Zanon traded to Boston

I am not saying he "broke it", I am saying he posted it before TSN and McKenzie tweeted his before they said it on air.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Lukus

Debating whether Eklund deals with facts or fiction is like debating whether God exists... once in a blue moon there's a revelation that makes you want to believe that there just might be some truth behind it afterall.

What I do know is that his trade tracker page was being updated faster than TSN and Sportsnet.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
mapes

Quote:

But he does have sources. He just BS's a lot to get hits on his site. It works.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote