HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nash Thread (all things Nash here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
GV Blue Jacket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
I blame is on all parties here. Nash has been inconsistent in his play for years. Howson has brought in some talent to surround him, but Scott also rode the wrong horses like Mason also. This to me is so much like the LeBron situation.

We have this superstar that says the right thing but does he really mean it. If we base it solely on his play then the answer is no. I know you can't win it by yourself but Nash is the poster boy for entitlement. He wears the C and in no way has this been earned.

I guess I more pissed at Nash come to think about it. If he wanted out he shouldn't have limited Howson with a list of where he wanted to play, on more example of entitlement.
I could not agree more. Blame goes all around, but Nash has tried to play himself off as the white knight here, but that has obviously not been the case. IMO, Howson was left no choice but to out Nash after Resnick made the bull**** statement about not expanding his list of acceptable destinations. When Nash is apparently the one that initiated this process, he can't handicap the team by limiting trade possibilities to a small handful of teams.

To those that say the Howson ruined Nash's trade value because other teams now know he has to be moved, you forget that multiple teams still will want his services and they will be bidding against themselves. The only thing that has changed is that the option of Nash not being moved has been taken off the table.

To be quite honest, I am amazed other teams have showed as much interest as they have given Nash's ridiculous cap hit which does not really match the stats that he puts up.

JPM really needs to blow this whole thing up with completely new management. But, to those who say are hoping that new management will appease Nash, that ship has sailed. Nash has always said the right things, but he has never really shown leadership or passion on the ice (except the Olympics) and now it is obvious he can no longer be trusted as a leader off the ice either.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I don't know how he can keep it on himself, and I don't know how the org. as a whole can let him keep wearing it. Truly baffling.
Unless Nash actually did demand the management change and the players were aware all along of his trade demand.

People assume Wiz didn't know when he made his statement yesterday. Now, what if he did?

Suddenly the words have a different meaning and stripping Nash of the "C" causes a locker room backlash.

There are a lot of facts we don't know.

Paging Jackets beat writers...

Old
02-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Unless Nash actually did demand the management change and the players were aware all along of his trade demand.

People assume Wiz didn't know when he made his statement yesterday. Now, what if he did?

Suddenly the words have a different meaning and stripping Nash of the "C" causes a locker room backlash.

There are a lot of facts we don't know.

Paging Jackets beat writers...
Exactly. Let's hear what Nash has to say first, then go from there.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
But I want to demonize Rick Nash now dagnabbit!

Old
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
EDM

Fun times. I heard there is a game tonite.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I don't know how he can keep it on himself, and I don't know how the org. as a whole can let him keep wearing it. Truly baffling.
I love how Howson says that hes is our captain and nothing will change. How can you even give him a letter at this point? Im not saying ostracize the guy but what does that say to players playing or going to play in Columbus? Is he going to get up in front of the team and say what? Im sorry this organization is so dysfunctional, hopefully you'll get out too? What is Vinny thinking right now? Personally, when Vinny retires, I want him as President. This going up river without a paddle needs to stop. Take charge and show us what you plan to do, Howson. It starts with Nash losing the C. We needed this time to start building our team, yet we still are in la la land not sure wtf is going on. Expect another losing season next year.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Argh - it's hard for me to my express my thoughts adequately now, I'm so pissed off at both sides here.

Why am I pissed at the Nash camp? They could have kept things quiet through yesterday, bided their time and waited for Howson to get the best return possible for him, which is what we as fans all deserve (and what the Nash camp expressed hope for upon the revelation that he was being shopped). I mean, c’mon Rick; you’ve been in this org for almost ten years; what’s another few months? IMO the least Nash could have done was to let the process play out and be content in the meantime to simply count his money. But nooooo; you had your agent try to force your way out at the deadline, which isn’t necessarily the best time in the season to move a player with your kind of cap hit. In other words, Nash; don’t try to spin me with this St. Rick, “I’ll only leave if it’s in the best interests of the team” crap. You’re dead to me, pal.

While I want Howson gone yesterday, if there is one thing I will give him credit for in this situation, it was to keep it as low-key as possible long as he did, even allowing this fantasy perception that we all bought into that the Jackets initiated the trade scenario, not Nash. Does that excuse Howson for doing what he did yesterday? IMO, no; it would have been best to air all this dirty laundry after Nash left, if at all.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I applaud Nash for finally taking a stand and being assertive... too bad it came off the ice and against the club's own management....

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the Jan 16th owership meeting.... sounds like there were juicy tidbits that may never come out...
I would love to know the timing on when Nash asked to be traded. If Nash really did ask for a management change I'm guessing that was kept quiet. Did the "proposal" presented include Nash or were Howson and Priest trying to quietly remove him before the reasoning behind hs demand was made public.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Str8cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keke Mortsons helmet View Post
Bob McCown, Damian Cox, John Shannon, Doug MacLean and Aaron Portzline spent a couple of segments discussing the Columbus situation on the Sportsnet talk show Prime Time Sports today. The host McCown is originally from Columbus and they got into some interesting stuff.

www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/jump ahead to the 18 minute mark

Your pal from British Columbia.
Could be me but, I cant find the segment.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Nash has to lose the C right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Agreed, give it to Vinny.
Not sure if anything needs done to finish out the year. Not sure "giving it to Vinny" is the right idea.

The last thing I am concerned about right now is who the captain is. I am fine not having one right now if it's determined Nash has lost the room and/or it's creating too much drama.

The team is going to have some changes over the summer. The changes could be quite dramatic. Of that, coaching might be one of them. Things are too unstable to name an interim captain. Let this process play out and do not get ahead of ourselves. Honestly, we haven't even heard Nash's side of the story yet. I'm not sure if his team mates have either.

Let's take a deep breath and let this thing play out.

On another, unrelated note. I noticed that we are trying to lay out who is responsible for this situation. The reality is there is plenty of blame to go around. The team should not have been as bad as it was, thus the players hold some responsibility. This includes Nash. The front office holds a lot of responsibility as well.

Upon even more reflection, at some point people are probably going to take sides. While I am not the biggest of Nash supporters, I am certainly not a detractor. The reality is I can's see a way in which I can sit on the sidelines and try and sit on the fence.

As of this moment, I am siding with Nash's "camp". The reality is, it doesn't matter what his motivation was, things have not worked out. Whether it was selfishness on his part or thinking of team and fans first, he has every right to try and get a fresh start.

I do not know if I am on the right side. But I do feel confident, that at the very least, I am on the less wrong side.

The front office has created a very toxic situation, this includes ownership. Riding things out with Howson is a choice that would not be made by the majority of the NHL teams. There is a reason for that.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:40 AM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8cash View Post
Could be me but, I cant find the segment.
You have to scroll down. It has fallen of the first group of shows. It is a great listen. I may be mental but I do still enjoy listening to MacLean.

Portie has some good stuff and MacLean had a great comment on management vs a star player. He said management never wins because all the public sees is the star. He brought up the example of Zherdev and how he tried to hold firm and was lambasted by the public and the media. At ownership direction he ultimately had to mostly cave to Zherdev's demands. I don't see how the CBJ are going to look anything but clueless in this.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
As of this moment, I am siding with Nash's "camp". The reality is, it doesn't matter what his motivation was, things have not worked out. Whether it was selfishness on his part or thinking of team and fans first, he has every right to try and get a fresh start.

I do not know if I am on the right side. But I do feel confident, that at the very least, I am on the less wrong side.

The front office has created a very toxic situation, this includes ownership. Riding things out with Howson is a choice that would not be made by the majority of the NHL teams. There is a reason for that.
I'm not sure I can join either side. On one hand the CBJ are so dysfunctional that only a Priest on down house cleaning could possibly fix it. That much is certain.

The reason I can't completely get behind Nash is I still think it would be best to trade him. Beyond the front office issues there is still the locker room culture that needs addressed. I think Nash is at the heart of this problem. I applaud him if he finally did step up and go to ownership but I can't get past the country club culture that has become so engrained. Even now we have Carter's conditioning being questioned. How many former CBJ players s that now?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
CarolinaBlueJacket

This is a bigger mess than I originally thought. There is enough blame to go around here. In my mind Howson needs to go. Nash needs to go. Nash had better not be the Captian tonight. He is a captain that has gone to management and asked for a trade...how is this different than what Foote did?

I emailed AP recently and said I would love to see an article where we hear from previous CBJ players about the state of the franchise while they were here, anonymously of course. Wouldnt you love to know what Dineen, Federov, Foote, Whitney, Sydor, Commy, Marchant, Vyborny, Nash, etc really think???

The organization is now in a worse state than before they picked Rick Tabaracci.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:53 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

After sleeping on it, I am still pissed at everyone. I'm equal parts pissed at Rick demanding a trade then acting like it was management's idea, and management deciding to tell everyone the "truth" about his demands. So glad that we decided to kill a little value of Nash just so we can release the "troof!!!!!11!1!1!1ELEVEN!1!!!!"

As for the captaincy, I don't see one single person on this team as a captain, although Vinny is the closest thing we've got. If ever a team didn't have a captain, this would be the team.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
I'm not sure I can join either side. On one hand the CBJ are so dysfunctional that only a Priest on down house cleaning could possibly fix it. That much is certain.

The reason I can't completely get behind Nash is I still think it would be best to trade him. Beyond the front office issues there is still the locker room culture that needs addressed. I think Nash is at the heart of this problem. I applaud him if he finally did step up and go to ownership but I can't get past the country club culture that has become so engrained. Even now we have Carter's conditioning being questioned. How many former CBJ players s that now?
I'm not saying that firing the front office, while still trading Nash, isn't a desirable outcome. Nash wants out, he appears to want the front office out. By supporting him, you are supporting one or both outcomes.

If ownership says fine, we'll fire Howson and Priest, but we're also trading you (we can't have you holding the franchise hostage), that could very well be an acceptable outcome.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
After sleeping on it, I am still pissed at everyone. I'm equal parts pissed at Rick demanding a trade then acting like it was management's idea, and management deciding to tell everyone the "truth" about his demands.
He (Nash) did, whether intentional or not, leave an impression the decision was not in his hands.

At the same time, we do not know what the front office requested of Nash and his agent during this time. We do not even know if the comment from Nash's agent was something Nash approved of.

We need to be careful about forming conclusions. Yet.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
I'm not saying that firing the front office, while still trading Nash, isn't a desirable outcome. Nash wants out, he appears to want the front office out. By supporting him, you are supporting one or both outcomes.

If ownership says fine, we'll fire Howson and Priest, but we're also trading you (we can't have you holding the franchise hostage), that could very well be an acceptable outcome.

I would say this is the correct outcome, but how often does this franchise do the right thing?

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
We need to be careful about forming conclusions. Yet.
I suppose you are right. Afterall, I wouldn't put it past Howson to lie about this.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I was thinking this same thing, Robert, when I read Howson's statement.

And, as I said in my post on the other thread, in my heart, whether Nash says it or not, he wanted out because of the continued ineptitude of our front office. He was promised five years ago that a winner was going to be built. Has Howson accomplished that? HELL NO! Not even remotely close.

In my book, Howson and Priest are to blame for Nash wanting out. He has no more trust left in the well for those two morons, just as we don't either. Why should he stay and leave his career in their incompetent hands.

When all of those season ticket holders bail on this team after this season, and it won't be a trickle it will be a flood, it won't be Rick Nash's fault, it will be JMac's fault for not having the sense to fix the real problem----the ****ing front office!

Like Bill Clinton once said, "IT'S THE FRONT OFFICE, STUPID!" or something like that.
I think is was "It's the economy, stupid"..... Regardless, Fire Priest, Fire Howson.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
We're fans, we're allowed to jump to any conclusion we want than you very much!

And, even if his intentions were pure, and only in the interest of the ultimate good for the franchise and its fans (yeah right, *pukes*), reqesting a trade is thew wrong thing to do. Especially when you've negotiated a no trade clause into your contract. Either you want out or you don't. Waive it altogether or stick it out.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

Vermette's take on it...

From HNIC Radio. Topics turn specifically to Columbus just before the 4 minute mark. The conversation turns to Phoenix but returns to CBJ near the end. Interesting take.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2202719418

Old
02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
hip check
Go North.

The only truth here is that its us fans that continue to take the beating. I'm freaking tired of everyone and everything Blue Jackets. If there is two sides to this, its us and them. Them being Howson, management, Nash, all of them. And we are the ones suffering most. While most will take a Howson or a Nash side, I'm just taking our side. And to hell with everything else.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:09 AM
BluejacketNut

I dont blame Nash one bit for wanting to be traded, i'm pretty much doing the same thing as I will no longer be a season ticket holder for this joke of an organization. The fact that they've kept Howson was the main reason for my decision. How you can go on these losing seasons after the playoff year, and then culminate it with the worst season ever, and continue with Howson, is beyond me and shows winning is not important. I refuse to flush money down the drain anymore

Old
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingWild View Post
From HNIC Radio. Topics turn specifically to Columbus just before the 4 minute mark. The conversation turns to Phoenix but returns to CBJ near the end. Interesting take.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2202719418
What did he say? Some of us can't stream it from work.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
The only truth here is that its us fans that continue to take the beating. I'm freaking tired of everyone and everything Blue Jackets. If there is two sides to this, its us and them. Them being Howson, management, Nash, all of them. And we are the ones suffering most. While most will take a Howson or a Nash side, I'm just taking our side. And to hell with everything else.
I don't agree with everything you've posted recently (which is fine), but I fully agree with all of this.

I don't care who's on the team anymore - "name on the front is more important than the name on the back" and all that - I just want to watch a team that isn't flat-out depressing.

The only thing I can hope for at this point is that Nationwide, as part owner, puts some pressure on JPM to make some management changes - although, I don't know how likely something like that really is.

Closed Thread