HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

At the end of the day, all that matters is the last game of the season

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Yes, the only thing that matters is the cup 20 36.36%
No, other accomplishments are also meaningful 35 63.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2012, 11:54 PM
  #1
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
At the end of the day, all that matters is the last game of the season

There's a lot of things going on, winning the conference, winning the president's trophy, winning the vezina.. but imo, none of that really matters.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you win the last game of the season. If you don't, then you haven't accomplished anything.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
  #2
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,068
vCash: 500
Ultimately, yes but realistically, at the beginning of the season my expectations were to get past the 2nd round. So, in my eyes for this year anything better than that is a cherry on top of a very surprisingly successful season. Honestly, who thought we would be where we are right now before the season started?

Your team progressing is always an accomplishment.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
  #3
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,649
vCash: 500
The greedy 5 time champion Yankees fan in me wants to say yes, but for this team, I don't think a Cup is an end all be all. I think the giant step we've taken this year is a huge victory for this franchise, Cup or no Cup, and I think it puts us in a good position to do it next year or the year after. I'm not saying I don't wanna win the Cup this year, nor am I saying I don't think we can. I want it to be this year, I just don't think it has to be. We're not desperate to do it now; we have a window.

Of course if we don't do it in the next 3 years this all changes. I feel like were gonna get even better and this season is a setup for bigger things to come.BUT if it doesn't eventually amount to a Cup in the very near future it becomes moot.

My answer is no....for now.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:02 AM
  #4
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
I want to see Hank get the Viezina, and I also want the trophy for lowest team GAA (forget the name). These awards do matter...and I want the league's respect. Tha isn't to say that I din't want a cup more. I will be dreaming of another cup run and the ultimate victory that will bring.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:08 AM
  #5
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
There's a lot of things going on, winning the conference, winning the president's trophy, winning the vezina.. but imo, none of that really matters.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you win the last game of the season. If you don't, then you haven't accomplished anything.
If you don't enjoy the journey you're missing out.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:27 AM
  #6
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
If you don't enjoy the journey you're missing out.
Truth.

And you can apply it to many things..not just hockey.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
  #7
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,145
vCash: 873
I think that this year, other accomplishments are fine.

I didn;t expect to be in this position this season and while I love it, I also know that we are deficient in certain areas that may cause our exit from the PO's before the finals and if that is a tough 2nd round out or bumped from the Conference Finals in 6-7 games to me that is a successful season.

Stanley Cup would be great, but in my humble opinion, not a realistic goal this year.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:50 AM
  #8
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that this year, other accomplishments are fine.

I didn;t expect to be in this position this season and while I love it, I also know that we are deficient in certain areas that may cause our exit from the PO's before the finals and if that is a tough 2nd round out or bumped from the Conference Finals in 6-7 games to me that is a successful season.

Stanley Cup would be great, but in my humble opinion, not a realistic goal this year.
Why should it be? It's not like we've been the best team in the NHL so far or anything.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
  #9
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,145
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Why should it be? It's not like we've been the best team in the NHL so far or anything.
the best teams in the NHL do not have a PP that currently ranks 28th out of 30 teams.

The Rangers are playing great defensive hockey and that will get you far in the Reg. Season and will help you do some very solid things in the post season, but at the end of the day, if you cannot generate anything from the PP in the post season where EVERYONE plays better defensive hockey, then you are not going to win the cup.

To continue to ignore that MASSIVE problem because of the standings is setting yourself up for disappointment.

for the life of me, I can't understand why people cannot grasp this simple concept.

Average offense at ES with no ability to even generate momentum on the PP let alone score a goal means limited success in the post season.

If you want to continue believing that we can win the cup as currently constructed without addressing the blackhole that is out PP, then good for you.

Just expect to be disappointed.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
  #10
DontStaal
Registered User
 
DontStaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Being an avid fan, being at the garden, and just watching games on a consistent basis and following the team you begin to pull for individual players.

While it may not mean anything in the long run since "only the cup" matters is the mentality, a President's Trophy would be an amazing acccomplishment for the players, the coaches and the organization. If you don't think so, then you've forgotten what it feels like to lose games.

As for the Vezina, that would be equally as prestigious for Lundqvist... or even the Hart.

For one, I am pleasantly surprised so far this season. We still have our doubters which is nice but we have clearly established ourselves as legit contenders regardless of the end outcome.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
  #11
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,822
vCash: 500
Sure I want to see the Rangers win the Stanley Cup but I also want to be entertained. I want to have an emotional investment witht he players and team. I want to have victories along the way. I'd love to see hockey in June.

We used to have this argument when the team was bad and some advocated a tanking strategy to try and get a generational talent or two. For some it's either win the Cup or nothing. I'd much rather root for the team and hope for the years when the stars will align. Believe me, it will keep you from going crazy.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
  #12
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
the best teams in the NHL do not have a PP that currently ranks 28th out of 30 teams.

The Rangers are playing great defensive hockey and that will get you far in the Reg. Season and will help you do some very solid things in the post season, but at the end of the day, if you cannot generate anything from the PP in the post season where EVERYONE plays better defensive hockey, then you are not going to win the cup.

To continue to ignore that MASSIVE problem because of the standings is setting yourself up for disappointment.

for the life of me, I can't understand why people cannot grasp this simple concept.

Average offense at ES with no ability to even generate momentum on the PP let alone score a goal means limited success in the post season.

If you want to continue believing that we can win the cup as currently constructed without addressing the blackhole that is out PP, then good for you.

Just expect to be disappointed.
Tell that to last years cup winning Bruins, and their 11.4% powerplay during the playoffs...

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:57 AM
  #13
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,145
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Tell that to last years cup winning Bruins, and their 11.4% powerplay during the playoffs...
you can stick to your mis-leading stats

I'll stick to reality.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
  #14
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 1187
No. I'm sticking with what I went into this season with. If we can get to the second round, and at least make it a good series than I'm happy. In the off season, if you would have told me we would be leading our division by a large margin, I would have laughed in your face. If you would have told me that we would be top of our conference, and in contention for the presidents trophy, I would have told you to put the crack pipe down. This season so far, has all ready blown away my expectations for this year. Every thing from here on out for me is gravy!

LETS'S GO RANGERS!!!


Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
  #15
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sure I want to see the Rangers win the Stanley Cup but I also want to be entertained. I want to have an emotional investment witht he players and team. I want to have victories along the way. I'd love to see hockey in June.

We used to have this argument when the team was bad and some advocated a tanking strategy to try and get a generational talent or two. For some it's either win the Cup or nothing. I'd much rather root for the team and hope for the years when the stars will align. Believe me, it will keep you from going crazy.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I think part of the appeal of hoping for a generational talent is that it also helps you be entertained because generational talents bring a skill set that most other players simply don't.

I'm very pleased with where the team is today, but I still wish the team was a little bit more entertaining to watch. It's gotten MUCH better than it was 2-3-4 years ago. Still, if you stripped both teams of names, numbers and logos, I'd still prefer watching the Red Wings or Canucks than the Rangers. They just play a brand of hockey that is as close to my idea of hockey perfection as any team in the world.

I definitely believe that there are other accomplishments besides the Cup, though. Being a consistent cup contender and putting up successful regular season after successful regular season is no laughing matter. It might be frustrating to be a fan of a team like the Sharks, for example, that can never get over the hump, but at the end of the day, they are one of the league's more fortunate fanbases. They get a damn good team almost every year.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
  #16
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you can stick to your mis-leading stats

I'll stick to reality.


Truthiness?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...d---truthiness


Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
  #17
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
If you don't enjoy the journey you're missing out.
I'm enjoying the journey, but I still feel like it all doesn't matter unless the cup is won

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
  #18
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,145
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
you should apply it to your own line of thinking.

Rangers today are 12th in scoring with an abysmal PP.

Boston last year was 5th overall in scoring with the 20th overall PP at 16.2% conversion Rate

Rangers today are 17th overall at 5 on 5 scoring

Boston last year was 1st at 5 on 5 scoring heading into the PO's.

The ability for Boston to win a cup last year with a dismal 11% conversion rate on the PP was made easier by being THE BEST EVEN STRENGTH SCORING TEAM IN THE NHL.

In the PO's, the Bruins were leaps and bounds better than any other PO team at even strength scoring.

Tampa was in 2nd place at 37 goals at even strength. 23 LESS goals than Boston in 7 less games.

You can try to spin stats anyway you want. But the TRUTH shall set you free.

The difference between Boston last year and the Rangers this year is night and day.

Please stop making a fool of yourself by comparing the two.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
  #19
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
The cup is the end game for every team, obviously. But if you have a young team, a growing team- and they get knocked out in say the ECF then I think you have a lot to hang your hat on. If you're an older team, whose window is closing (Detroit) then it hurts a lot more if you don't win it all. That's just my opinion.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
  #20
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you should apply it to your own line of thinking.

Rangers today are 12th in scoring with an abysmal PP.

Boston last year was 5th overall in scoring with the 20th overall PP at 16.2% conversion Rate

Rangers today are 17th overall at 5 on 5 scoring

Boston last year was 1st at 5 on 5 scoring heading into the PO's.

The ability for Boston to win a cup last year with a dismal 11% conversion rate on the PP was made easier by being THE BEST EVEN STRENGTH SCORING TEAM IN THE NHL.

In the PO's, the Bruins were leaps and bounds better than any other PO team at even strength scoring.

Tampa was in 2nd place at 37 goals at even strength. 23 LESS goals than Boston in 7 less games.

You can try to spin stats anyway you want. But the TRUTH shall set you free.

The difference between Boston last year and the Rangers this year is night and day.

Please stop making a fool of yourself by comparing the two.
You're tweaking your argument here from you need a good pp, to you need a good pp unless you are elite 5v5 goal scoring team.

I guess you gave up on your initial argument because it was terrible. Good for you. I still disagree with your new one, games aren't won on paper. They're won by scoring more goals than your opponent scores on you. A 2-0 win counts the same as 5-3 win.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
  #21
Fleury4ever
Registered User
 
Fleury4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
There's a lot of things going on, winning the conference, winning the president's trophy, winning the vezina.. but imo, none of that really matters.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you win the last game of the season. If you don't, then you haven't accomplished anything.
This is silly. Yes, the goal of the team is to win the Cup, but it does not mean there's no such thing as other accomplishments. They can provide a lot of excitement, and warrant much praise, and still not win even the conference.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
  #22
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,145
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You're tweaking your argument here from you need a good pp, to you need a good pp unless you are elite 5v5 goal scoring team.

I guess you gave up on your initial argument because it was terrible. Good for you. I still disagree with your new one, games aren't won on paper. They're won by scoring more goals than your opponent scores on you. A 2-0 win counts the same as 5-3 win.
Not tweaking my argument.

Just staing the fact that a team that is as medicore as ours is offensively, in addition to having a crappy PP will not win the cup.

You pointed out that the Bruins won the cup with a 11% conversion rate last year, but left out the very important factor that allowed them to do so.

My point stands, a 2nd round ouster or a Conference finals ouster is still a successful season based on our very real limitation such as offence.

A team that cannot generate offence or goals from a PP is not a team that can or will win a cup.

Your point of the Bruins winning despite the 11% conversion rate was blasted full of holes.

And while I do not disagree with your last statement, I do believe because we are deficient in that area, we are going to be that team that generates the goose egg and not the 1 or 2 goals. Because more often than not, teams that can generate offence and goals from the PP are the teams that get the 1-or 2 goals.

And while I'm on the subject, and to really put this argument to rest.

Boston last year 11% conversion rate
Chicago - 22.5% conversion rate
Pitt - 20.6% conversion rate
Detroit - 18.9% conversion rate
Anaheim - 15.2% conversion Rate
Carolina - 24% conversion rate
Tampa - 21% conversion Rate
Devils - 15.4% conversion rate
Detroit - 19.1% conversion rate
Colorado - 19.8% conversion rate

Aside from the already explained anaomly that is the Boston Bruins, only 2 othe rteams have won the cup in the last ten years with what I would consider a poor PP conversion rate.

The trend seems blatantly obvious to me.

Sorry you can't wrap your head around that.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
  #23
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
To slightly re-post what I said in another thread...

The presidents trophy is certainly meaningful. It is how a champion is determined in the majority of leagues around the world, but more importantly, it means you were the best over a 6 month, 82 game span. It's pretty special IMO. Second to winning the cup. Most else doesn't matter other than for playoff positioning.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
  #24
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,388
vCash: 500
If they get first this yr and lose in say the East finals then the season is a success. It hurts but they will learn from it and be a cup contender for quite a while

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:02 PM
  #25
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 116
Somebody was watching Moneyball when they created this thread correct?

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.