HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils at Rangers

View Poll Results: 3 Stars???
Lundqvist 118 72.39%
McDonagh 123 75.46%
Hagelin 145 88.96%
Callahan 42 25.77%
Girardi 12 7.36%
Stralman 4 2.45%
Gaborik 12 7.36%
Stepan 2 1.23%
Anisimov 3 1.84%
Bickel 2 1.23%
Dubinsky 4 2.45%
Prust 3 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2012, 07:44 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
What goons do the Devils have? That was an absolutely pathetic game by Clarkson and personally I hope he gets suspended for a game or gets benched by DeBoer. The only "goon" we have was sitting in a suit somewhere last night.

Congrats on your win. I hope we don't face you in the playoffs because I would like my marriage to last a lot longer!

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yeah, it was a pretty dumb thing for Dubinsky to say, because Clarkson has fought probably >50% the heavyweights in the NHL. He was probably just annoyed at Clarkson because he took a few punches in the kisser.
Clarkson is a total spot picker. He rarley fights heavyeights. He opts to fight the Avery's, the Martin's, Byers, Schenn, Malone, Chimera's etc. He doesn't have the Jon Scott's he cowarded from Orr evertime they were together. He declined Rupp everygame. Only legit tough guy he fought was Engelland and he got KO'd.

Clarkson is a great fighter. I wont take that away from him. However, he picks and chooses his battles. Id like to see him go with Lucic, or Prust or Clowe even.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
What goons do the Devils have? That was an absolutely pathetic game by Clarkson and personally I hope he gets suspended for a game or gets benched by DeBoer. The only "goon" we have was sitting in a suit somewhere last night.

Congrats on your win. I hope we don't face you in the playoffs because I would like my marriage to last a lot longer!
Janssens, Boulton.

Most teams don't even employ a goon now, Devils have 2.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Clarkson said he was trying to avoid Dubinsky because Dubinsky was trying to throw an illegal hit on him (on that charging play) and that's why he jumped a couple of feet into the air
Now that is funny. I would love to see Shanahan's reaction to that comment.

I didn't like Clarkson when he first came up and thought he was only a punk. But he worked on his game and is more of a complete player now. But last night, he regressed back into being a punk.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:59 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Janssens, Boulton.

Most teams don't even employ a goon now, Devils have 2.
Ehh..Boulton is slightly better than Janssen. I wouldn't use the term goon for Boulton.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Ehh..Boulton is slightly better than Janssen. I wouldn't use the term goon for Boulton.
What would you call his actions at the faceoff circle with Gaborik? To me, that is "gooning" it up. If Scott or Rupp did that to Parise, what would you call it?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
What would you call his actions at the faceoff circle with Gaborik? To me, that is "gooning" it up. If Scott or Rupp did that to Parise, what would you call it?
I actually didn't see that so I can't comment. But what Rupp did to Clarkson was pretty goonish during the faceoff circle, wasn't it?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
LMAO pretty weak excuse but I'm sure Clarkson isn't getting a Mensa invite anytime soon. Dubi braced himself for that hit that was coming but was almost stationary at the time...freaking loser
Looked like Dubinsky was setting himself up for body positioning so he could shield the puck from Clarkson and still play it. Even if Clarkson thought that Dubinsky was trying to throw a big hit on him, he didn't "avoid" anything, he jumped directly at Dubinsky and stuck out his elbow

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Im actually a big fan of the tough guys...But, Boulton is 100% a goon. He should be classified with the Orr's, Rosehill, Shelley, Janssen, Koci, Scott, McIntyre etc. Guys that are out there for one reason.

Guys I wouldn't consider goons because they can play regular shift's are Clowe, Lucic, Clarkson, Rupp, Ott, Malone, Prust, Kassian(Van) <--These guys are similar to the players of the 70's. Players that had to play regular shifts, and handle thie own business. The Bobby Clarks, the Duguay's, the Gillies and Nystrom'S...Guys liek Stan Johnathan and George McPhee. Later in the 80's the pure goon developed after more european players cvame into the league. They needed protection. Every team employed two or even three of these guys. New NHL changed all that, but didn't eliminate fighting. This is why guys, or tough guys that can play top 6 minutes are so coveted in todays game. They are like Hybrids. Probably why guys like Biggs was so touted going into the 2011 NHL entry draft. Same for McIlrath in 2010.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
I actually didn't see that so I can't comment. But what Rupp did to Clarkson was pretty goonish during the faceoff circle, wasn't it?
In a way but it's two tough guys jousting away at each other. Not Rupp doing it to one of NJ's best players.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
In a way but it's two tough guys jousting away at each other. Not Rupp doing it to one of NJ's best players.
This is true. Either way I'm not a fan of Boulton or Janssen as hockey players.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
GloveSave35

Lundqvist
McD
Hagelin
HM: Cally

McD never ceases to amaze me. Overwhelmed by this kid's talent. Great game. Glad to see the guys back to true form. Very solid. Glad to be back in the groove and hopefully on pace to hit our stride for the post season.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
eh, Clarkson is one of NJ's good players this year, but he's also a "tough guy" and Rupp's little tug isn't really gooning it up that much, more like antagonizing

Clarkson isn't a goon, but he'll certainly agitate and fight people and I don't think he gets any tears for other teams tough guys picking fights with him

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
If you want to look at it that way, sure, it was goonish on Rupp's part. It was after an entire period+ of Clarkson's antics up until that point though. Gaborik doesn't start **** with anyone really. Parise wasn't getting the business from us in the faceoff circle, because he isn't a *****. That's how I see it.

Also, does anyone have a vid of that ridiculous flop? I wasn't even mad, I just laughed at it. Brodeur looked like he was on the receiving end of a Chuck Norris roundhouse.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:27 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

And the Oscar goes to...Martin Brodeur! That was a little much...even I laughed at it.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

One of the more impressive things to me last night was Dubinsky's fight with Clarkson. Duby has not done that well in his past fights, but last night I thought he more then held his own. I think it was a straight up draw..thoughts?

And what Rupp did was kinda goonish, but not like it mattered cause he got a penalty too.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
eh, Clarkson is one of NJ's good players this year, but he's also a "tough guy" and Rupp's little tug isn't really gooning it up that much, more like antagonizing

Clarkson isn't a goon, but he'll certainly agitate and fight people and I don't think he gets any tears for other teams tough guys picking fights with him
When I mentioned best players, I was thinking Kovy/Parise. I stated before, Clarkson has evolved into a complete player.

As for gooning it up, my comments were directed at Boulton for starting crap with Gaborik at center ice before the faceoff.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Eh, I thought Dubi held his own, but I would definitely give the edge to Clarkson. He landed some decent blows while not really taking any. Him and Dubi are similar in size and strength, but it's clear, at least to me, that Clarkson is a more skilled fighter. Neither guy looked like they had even been in a scrap after, though.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Eh, I thought Dubi held his own, but I would definitely give the edge to Clarkson. He landed some decent blows while not really taking any. Him and Dubi are similar in size and strength, but it's clear, at least to me, that Clarkson is a more skilled fighter. Neither guy looked like they had even been in a scrap after, though.
Yeah..Clarkson mightve had a slight edge, but just the fact that Duby didn't get destroyed like he usually does was enough for me.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
One of the more impressive things to me last night was Dubinsky's fight with Clarkson. Duby has not done that well in his past fights, but last night I thought he more then held his own. I think it was a straight up draw..thoughts?

And what Rupp did was kinda goonish, but not like it mattered cause he got a penalty too.
I would give the decision to Clarkson. He got a couple of shots in at the end including one that sent Dubi's helmet flying.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:39 AM
NYR Viper

As much as it angered me, I thought Boulton had a very good game for himself last night. The guy can get around pretty well and throw some hits and stir it up. I would say he is more along the lines of Rupp than Orr.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Clarkson, the Devils 2nd leading goalscorer, was rendered ineffective in the game because he was running around like an idiot and not playing hockey.

Anyone make a gif yet of Marty's flop? Because I would like to have it as my new avatar! Can gifs be avatars?

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I actually quite like Clarkson. He's become more than I ever thought he would. But he was out of his mind last night all game.

02-28-2012, 08:53 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Meh a hard fought, albeit boring, close game. I wish we buried our empty nets, but what can you do? I just hope that you guys dont think that there would be a Rangers sweep if we met in the playoffs. Every game has been a nailbiter

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

How did Milbury, et all think that game was boring? Did he not watch? Sure, there wasn't much scoring, but the electricity, physicality made it one of the more enjoyable games I've watched all year.

That was a playoff-like atmosphere. I loved it.

Give me fights, hitting up the wazoo, tight defense, and sick goaltending any day.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote