HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Deal/Rumor Discussion--Mods will create thread for Wild Trade(s)

Old
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Signing anybody to any contract is a gamble that might not pay off.
True but you get worse and worse bets when the guy hasn't had a healthy season in 2 years.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
True but you get worse and worse bets when the guy hasn't had a healthy season in 2 years.
The guy worked his ass off to fix all the health problems he had last season. This concussion is not his fault and I know he is going to keep working until he is past it.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
The guy worked his ass off to fix all the health problems he had last season. This concussion is not his fault and I know he is going to keep working until he is past it.
That's what's scary. Bouchard as well worked to get his concussion problem to a minimum.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
That's what's scary. Bouchard as well worked to get his concussion problem to a minimum.
I kind of agree with this. Although it's Lats' first real concussion, it's a long term one. Guys who have had serious concussions are more vulnerable with the next big hit vs. a guy who hasn't had one. We've seen with Lats (when he came back) that it doesn't take a crunching hit to knock him right back to square one. And with Butch, yeah he got rocked viciously in Winnipeg, but I can't help but think that his previous issues have played a major role in this current one (as far as the time table goes.)

I would LOVE to have Lats back, but it'd have to be for really, really cheap. Because we can't go through this again with him. Not for a 3rd straight year. And if this year has taught us anything, it's that in the NHL, the hits to the head are only getting harder and cheaper.

And for the record, I am not blaming him for the concussions in any way.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I kind of agree with this. Although it's Lats' first real concussion, it's a long term one. Guys who have had serious concussions are more vulnerable with the next big hit vs. a guy who hasn't had one. We've seen with Lats (when he came back) that it doesn't take a crunching hit to knock him right back to square one. And with Butch, yeah he got rocked viciously in Winnipeg, but I can't help but think that his previous issues have played a major role in this current one (as far as the time table goes.)

I would LOVE to have Lats back, but it'd have to be for really, really cheap. Because we can't go through this again with him. Not for a 3rd straight year. And if this year has taught us anything, it's that in the NHL, the hits to the head are only getting harder and cheaper.

And for the record, I am not blaming him for the concussions in any way.
I don't know how many times I have to say this: negotiating Latendresse down a million dollars does not help the team in any way. If their grand UFA aspirations fall through they might actually be looking for ways to meet the cap floor.

The risk of turning him into a UFA is far greater than anything we could gain by saving $1M in cap space.

Some people have argued in terms of roster spots or what we give up in stability by not finding a full-time replacement if we assume he's going to play, and that's an entirely different argument and one that I'm not even trying to address right now.

The two options that make sense in any way are:

- Qualify him.

- Let him walk.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post

- Qualify him.

- Let him walk.
And that's probably how it'll go.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

All in all a very mild trade deadline.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:39 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I don't know how many times I have to say this: negotiating Latendresse down a million dollars does not help the team in any way. If their grand UFA aspirations fall through they might actually be looking for ways to meet the cap floor.

The risk of turning him into a UFA is far greater than anything we could gain by saving $1M in cap space.

Some people have argued in terms of roster spots or what we give up in stability by not finding a full-time replacement if we assume he's going to play, and that's an entirely different argument and one that I'm not even trying to address right now.

- Qualify him.

- Let him walk.
I'd change "Let him walk" to "trade his RFA rights." That can be done after qualifying him though. As insane as some of the posters have been around here, there are at least 10 teams willing to take a gamble on him, and for serious money. In his only healthy (non-rookie) season, he put up 27 goals. Of those, 25 were put up in 55 games with the Wild, which is 37 goal pace. His RFA rights are worth at least a 3rd round pick at this point. They're probably worth a 2nd.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote