HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 05:07 AM
  #101
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Richards was always more known for his defense first and physicality 2nd and his point production 3rd. He was typically utilized in a more traditional 3rd line C role on our team often paired with the rookies and less talented players on our roster like Carcillo, Nodl, Giroux, (before he turned into a stud). It allowed us to basically let those guys that were on his wings go go go on offense because he was so stellar defenseively. Point is though once he got known for his defense he got better at it personally I think hes one of the best 2 or 3 Centers in the league defensively but much in the same mold as Yzerman I believe he sacrifices a good portion of his offense to be that good. He's a spectacular player in both zones and hes most likely still a PPG player in a Offensive System but it seems like you guys play more defensively as a team and while he will still give you the stellar defense and probably better now his offensive numbers will take a hit. In the 2 years he was in Laviolette's high powered offensive system he put up 62 and 66 points respectively. He was also hurt through the better part of both those years (Shoulders, Wrist). Hes probably a PPG player in an offensive system like the Flyers ran maybe even a bit more but in a conservative system probably closer to 70~ with Selke considerations when injury free.


And hes money in the playoffs, as well as a heart and soul guy who will throw a big hit or two when needed, and do stuff like this.
In order to be "money" in the playoffs, your team first has to MAKE the playoffs.

The "heart and soul guy who will throw the big hit" doesn't get $6.6 mil for a season unless he can be that offensive stud consistently too.

PSP is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 05:14 AM
  #102
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Thanks for your post. Most Kings fans are well aware of his value and what you described in the above, but it's a shame that the fantasy-stat obsessed faction here loves to hate on him for his numbers this year.
Where exactly is his value if not in the numbers? Has the team improved since his arrival or regressed?

This isn't a self-esteem class. Competitive sports is about production. Richards hasn't produced anywhere near his career numbers and he hasn't made any of his teammates better.

PSP is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:14 AM
  #103
Reaper1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
How many of you people watched Richards closely throughout his NHL career? Richards hasn't been the same player since he signed a deal giving him a lifetime of financial security. His legacy ended in Philadelphia as one of the WORST captains they ever had, in terms of being an actual "captain". He showed up to Flyers training camp a few days before it started in 2010-11, leaving his coach, GM and the veterans on the team completely puzzled. Richards is the main reason there was a division in the Flyers room and was called out for the way he acted off the ice, his poor fitness levels and his disgraceful handling of the media. Say what you want, but when Mike Richards was asked the other day about Carter being his teammate again and about the media attention he wasted no time "taking shots" at the Philly media. If that doesn't prove that this kid just hasn't moved on or grew up a bit, I don't know what does. Hockey fan to hockey fan, the proof is in the pudding. There's a reason a large majority of Flyers fans weren't upset in the least to see Richards and Carter traded...and that's unheard of when a team trades their captain and leading goal scorers in their PRIME. I'll just say this...it's no coincidence that the Kings are struggling and there was even TALK about Dustin Brown being traded so Richards could be the next captain.

Great Post.

And as a flyers fan I can attest that these statements are 100% true. I didnt believe that they were the reason for the flyers locker room issues but now I can say that I was wrong and the flyers organization now, and the future is better without them in the fold.

With that said, I thought richards would flourish in LA. even if it wasnt this season, he would eventually get accustomed to the kings and return to the two-way 65-75 point player he can be.

that was until.... the kings acquired carter. Their "off-ice" issues are well documented and I have personally seen them out together at 4am down the jersey shore the night before a afternoon game in April when the flyers needed 2-points in the worst way to get into the playoffs a few years ago. And as a die-hard flyers fan, it made my blood boil becuase I felt like I cared more about the teams success then they did. (and for the record they played awful and lost the game against the NY Rangers).

So for their careers sake, i thought it was very important for them to be seperated. But now they are together again, with LA's night life at their disposal. thats a bad combo....

Reaper1097 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:13 AM
  #104
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
These guys are very good defensively...
Nash? Defensively?
Thanks for providing the humor to cheer me up. Nash is waaaaaaaaay closer to Kovalchuk/Ovechkin then to Zetterberg in his own zone.

The Kings are heavy defensive minded team which hurts the point production which flaws comparing stats of our players to some of the players on other teams.

Mike Richards is struggling like the ENTIRE Kings lineup to provide anything offensively. That said 1goal in his past 25 games is sad to look at.

Minor Boarding is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:27 AM
  #105
reset
Puck Luck
 
reset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Bay
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
lol garbage thread

richards is doing fine

i would take heart/soul, grit, defense and team player over goals/points any day... i love how these trolls come out when the team isnt doing well. ughh

reset is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
  #106
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
How come there wasn't a positive thread when Richards was a PPG and the Kings best player before being concussed?
Because he never was a PPG on the Kings.
Prior to his cuncussion he had 24GP 11G 9A 20Pts

In his first 15 games as a King he had 3G 8A.

Minor Boarding is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
  #107
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
If Richards was playing for the Ducks or the Sharks, most of you would be laughing at those teams for getting ripped off. That kind of contract should get you WAAAAAY more than a player on pace for 45 points.

....and before you start talking about his defensive contributions, he's supposed to do that IN ADDITION to scoring, not instead of scoring.

Not every "real" NHL person holds him in total regard. From the Yahoo article on trade deadline winner and losers:

"Forget the gossip about the partying. Scouts say Richards didn’t compete as hard as he used to during the end of his time in Philadelphia, and they speak even worse of Carter. He didn’t compete his last year-and-a-half in Philly, and he sulked so much in Columbus that the Blue Jackets – after giving up so much to get him in a trade – gave up on him in less than a year."
I'm going to address this last paragraph: for those of us who watched every Flyers game last year, it was pretty evident that Richards was playing the year hurt. That being said, he was still one of our best players. Go back and watch some of the playoff games from last year and you'll see that he turned it up. Even in the Bruins series when we got swept, he was great.

And also in response to that, no forward had played more hockey from 2009 to 2011 than Richards, Olympics included. He was worn down and still managed to be one of our best. This year, it seems like the first 3 months went pretty well for him, then he got concussed and hasn't been the same. Common story in the NHL nowadays.

I'm hoping you guys right the ship and get into the playoffs. From what I've seen, it hasn't been all that dissimilar to our '10 run. Underachieving team, goes through growing pains after a new coach is hired, barely gets into the playoffs.

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
  #108
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
How many of you people watched Richards closely throughout his NHL career? Richards hasn't been the same player since he signed a deal giving him a lifetime of financial security. His legacy ended in Philadelphia as one of the WORST captains they ever had, in terms of being an actual "captain". He showed up to Flyers training camp a few days before it started in 2010-11, leaving his coach, GM and the veterans on the team completely puzzled. Richards is the main reason there was a division in the Flyers room and was called out for the way he acted off the ice, his poor fitness levels and his disgraceful handling of the media. Say what you want, but when Mike Richards was asked the other day about Carter being his teammate again and about the media attention he wasted no time "taking shots" at the Philly media. If that doesn't prove that this kid just hasn't moved on or grew up a bit, I don't know what does. Hockey fan to hockey fan, the proof is in the pudding. There's a reason a large majority of Flyers fans weren't upset in the least to see Richards and Carter traded...and that's unheard of when a team trades their captain and leading goal scorers in their PRIME. I'll just say this...it's no coincidence that the Kings are struggling and there was even TALK about Dustin Brown being traded so Richards could be the next captain.
This post is so full of fail it's not even funny. For one, Richards signed his deal in December of 07, so his 'breakout year' wasn't even over. You also forgot the fact that his best year, statistically speaking, came the next year (in 08-09), a year+ after he had all of that financial security that you’re ranting about. He showed up to before camp started, I’m not sure why that’s something that needs to be blown out of proportion. Seems like nitpicking to me.

The only thing I would get on Richards about is how he handled the media. In retrospect, he should have just given the stock answers and not engaged with them. Since you live in Philly, I’m sure you’re aware that there is certain element that is extremely antagonistic and wants to cause controversy when they can--conveniently enough when the team is not winning. Those people are the Max Mercys of the world – never played the game and trying to make it so that ‘they’ matter. If you want to look at someone who divided the lockerroom, look at Chris Pronger. He was the darling of the media in Philly and played around with them so they loved him. He had a completely different personality than Richards, so when Richards didn’t play with the media the way Pronger did, Richards became a target.

You talk about fitness levels. Go back to the summer of ’09. When asked who of Team Canada’s potential players most impressed him in person—after the on-ice sessions—Mike Babcock said Mike Richards. Think of all of the talent and personalities there. Who was leading the team stretches? Mike Richards.

And your point about Flyers fans not being pissed, etc is absurd. Most of us were upset. A lot were angry and confused. A lot of us still are. And let’s look at our roster now. Sure, we can score, but you don’t win in the playoffs 6-5. Do you know where we have the biggest hole? (Hint: not goalie). As bad as Bryzgalov’s been, the defensive play from our centers has been worse. Giroux is an elite offensive player, but his defense is average at best. Briere’s a lost-cause in our zone. Schenn is average. Couturier is our best defensive forward, but he’s getting burned out. Our PK is struggling because we’re relying on rookies like Couturier and Read. If we had Richards on this team right now playing a defensive role, I’d actually think we’d have a shot. Now, the games are entertaining if you’re in to high-scoring games, but it’s not winning hockey. I see people saying that the Kings play hockey the wrong way. I’d much rather be going into the playoffs having played close, low-scoring games during the year than blowing people out. Otherwise, when your offense fails, you’re ****ed. Just look at the Caps from the past few years.

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:36 AM
  #109
moosehead81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
I saw it with my own eyes. It was on one of the reports on either SportsNet or TSN about a week ago and the panel was saying Lombardi was looking for more offense and it was reported that Richards was discussing his struggles with him and mentioned Carter was a contributing factor in his success in Philly, so look for the Kings to go after Carter if they couldn't get Nash. Why would I "make it up"? And I don't hate Mike Richards, but I think he's overrated and think his "legend" is blown out of proportion, especially as an NHL captain.

And you live in Philly? So do I. Camac street in South Philly. Lived in Philly for 49 years.
And now it starts- what is it about Richards that cranks some people (not all) the wrong way to the point of almost being libellous? Holmgren did not want to trade Mike Richards away- that came directly from Snider and if Holmgren wanted to kep his job, then on to it. And why did Snider want to get rid of Richards- who knows but he likely was reading some of the press generated by a few media types who'd rather have Chris Pronger's smart-ass know-it-all attitude in their face than a quiet spoken person who was frankly tired of the same dumb questions coming at him when things weren't going well. Maybe Richards was deemed captain worthy at too young an age in Philadelphia and it came back to bite him in the ass, particularly when Pronger arrived. Do you think for one minute that Philadelphia would have traded Richards if Briere or Hartnell had no trade contracts? And, for the record, Mike Richards seldom played with Carter in 5 on 5 situations except when the coaching staff wanted to try something to get some offense going. Carter essentially played center for the Flyers, same as Richards. And lastly, given his record of competing and winning, any contending team in the NHL would have given almost anything to get Mike Richards from Philadelphia last spring to take them over the top, which is what LA did. As he said in NBC36, "not scoring- have to work harder" and IMO that's what he's doing. So let's please slow down on the negative rhetoric here. As others had said, this post could have been about any player on the Kings, excepting Quick.

moosehead81 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
  #110
Boxscore
#oldNHL
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1974-94
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
This post is so full of fail it's not even funny. For one, Richards signed his deal in December of 07, so his 'breakout year' wasn't even over. You also forgot the fact that his best year, statistically speaking, came the next year (in 08-09), a year+ after he had all of that financial security that you’re ranting about. He showed up to before camp started, I’m not sure why that’s something that needs to be blown out of proportion. Seems like nitpicking to me.

The only thing I would get on Richards about is how he handled the media. In retrospect, he should have just given the stock answers and not engaged with them. Since you live in Philly, I’m sure you’re aware that there is certain element that is extremely antagonistic and wants to cause controversy when they can--conveniently enough when the team is not winning. Those people are the Max Mercys of the world – never played the game and trying to make it so that ‘they’ matter. If you want to look at someone who divided the lockerroom, look at Chris Pronger. He was the darling of the media in Philly and played around with them so they loved him. He had a completely different personality than Richards, so when Richards didn’t play with the media the way Pronger did, Richards became a target.

You talk about fitness levels. Go back to the summer of ’09. When asked who of Team Canada’s potential players most impressed him in person—after the on-ice sessions—Mike Babcock said Mike Richards. Think of all of the talent and personalities there. Who was leading the team stretches? Mike Richards.

And your point about Flyers fans not being pissed, etc is absurd. Most of us were upset. A lot were angry and confused. A lot of us still are. And let’s look at our roster now. Sure, we can score, but you don’t win in the playoffs 6-5. Do you know where we have the biggest hole? (Hint: not goalie). As bad as Bryzgalov’s been, the defensive play from our centers has been worse. Giroux is an elite offensive player, but his defense is average at best. Briere’s a lost-cause in our zone. Schenn is average. Couturier is our best defensive forward, but he’s getting burned out. Our PK is struggling because we’re relying on rookies like Couturier and Read. If we had Richards on this team right now playing a defensive role, I’d actually think we’d have a shot. Now, the games are entertaining if you’re in to high-scoring games, but it’s not winning hockey. I see people saying that the Kings play hockey the wrong way. I’d much rather be going into the playoffs having played close, low-scoring games during the year than blowing people out. Otherwise, when your offense fails, you’re ****ed. Just look at the Caps from the past few years.
You are obviously a big Richards fan and that's cool, really. I liked Richards a lot in the beginning when he was a Flyer but then his play and attitude changed. By the end it was clear he and the team both needed to move on. I don't know what fans you know, but all of the ones I know in Philly were thrilled that Richards and Carter were traded. That said, it could be an age or generational thing. I'm close to 50 years old so I've seen the greatest players in the Flyers organization....the Clarkes, the Barbers, the Bladons, the Tocchets, the Poulins, etc. By the end of his tenure in Philly, Richards was loathed as a captain and his act off the ice was a disgrace.

Regardless of what some fans think, because there are some fans who just saw the "best" Richards had to offer but never considered the "worst" because their fandom clouded their judgement. Listen to what an ex-player like Rick Tocchet had to say when he said, "I like Richie, I really do, he's a nice kid. But I think he needs to refocus and get his priorities straight. He showed up to camp right before it started and that's unacceptable being the captain and all."

I swear I'm not trying to troll this thread or cause static with any Kings fans, I just wanted to share my take on Richards and why his struggles this year with the Kings are far from a shock to me. For the record, I like the Kings organization and history quite a bit. I also like John Stevens a lot and feel he got a raw deal because some of the young guys (Richards and Carter included) didn't perform well enough for him and continued to regress off the ice. Stevens obviously sees the upside and talent in Richards and Carter so hopefully he can help them become the players they can be at the end of the day.

Boxscore is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
  #111
Boxscore
#oldNHL
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1974-94
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
And now it starts- what is it about Richards that cranks some people (not all) the wrong way to the point of almost being libellous? Holmgren did not want to trade Mike Richards away- that came directly from Snider and if Holmgren wanted to kep his job, then on to it. And why did Snider want to get rid of Richards- who knows
This is a little right and a little wrong. And, I do know the answer to why Ed Snider wanted to get rid of both Richards and Carter, because I know people who work for the Flyers. That said, you wouldn't believe me anyway, plus it doesn't matter now that he's no longer a member of the Flyers. But I will tell you this...regardless of what the "media" said, it was NOT to free up money for a goalie.

Boxscore is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:57 AM
  #112
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Nash? Defensively?
Thanks for providing the humor to cheer me up. Nash is waaaaaaaaay closer to Kovalchuk/Ovechkin then to Zetterberg in his own zone.

The Kings are heavy defensive minded team which hurts the point production which flaws comparing stats of our players to some of the players on other teams.

Mike Richards is struggling like the ENTIRE Kings lineup to provide anything offensively. That said 1goal in his past 25 games is sad to look at.
He played his best under the defensive minded Hitchcock and was on Canadas shutdown line. He's known to be good defensively

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
  #113
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Because he never was a PPG on the Kings.
Prior to his cuncussion he had 24GP 11G 9A 20Pts

In his first 15 games as a King he had 3G 8A.
Like I said, close enough and he showed signs of being the old MR

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
  #114
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
This post is so full of fail it's not even funny. For one, Richards signed his deal in December of 07, so his 'breakout year' wasn't even over. You also forgot the fact that his best year, statistically speaking, came the next year (in 08-09), a year+ after he had all of that financial security that you’re ranting about. He showed up to before camp started, I’m not sure why that’s something that needs to be blown out of proportion. Seems like nitpicking to me.

The only thing I would get on Richards about is how he handled the media. In retrospect, he should have just given the stock answers and not engaged with them. Since you live in Philly, I’m sure you’re aware that there is certain element that is extremely antagonistic and wants to cause controversy when they can--conveniently enough when the team is not winning. Those people are the Max Mercys of the world – never played the game and trying to make it so that ‘they’ matter. If you want to look at someone who divided the lockerroom, look at Chris Pronger. He was the darling of the media in Philly and played around with them so they loved him. He had a completely different personality than Richards, so when Richards didn’t play with the media the way Pronger did, Richards became a target.

You talk about fitness levels. Go back to the summer of ’09. When asked who of Team Canada’s potential players most impressed him in person—after the on-ice sessions—Mike Babcock said Mike Richards. Think of all of the talent and personalities there. Who was leading the team stretches? Mike Richards.

And your point about Flyers fans not being pissed, etc is absurd. Most of us were upset. A lot were angry and confused. A lot of us still are. And let’s look at our roster now. Sure, we can score, but you don’t win in the playoffs 6-5. Do you know where we have the biggest hole? (Hint: not goalie). As bad as Bryzgalov’s been, the defensive play from our centers has been worse. Giroux is an elite offensive player, but his defense is average at best. Briere’s a lost-cause in our zone. Schenn is average. Couturier is our best defensive forward, but he’s getting burned out. Our PK is struggling because we’re relying on rookies like Couturier and Read. If we had Richards on this team right now playing a defensive role, I’d actually think we’d have a shot. Now, the games are entertaining if you’re in to high-scoring games, but it’s not winning hockey. I see people saying that the Kings play hockey the wrong way. I’d much rather be going into the playoffs having played close, low-scoring games during the year than blowing people out. Otherwise, when your offense fails, you’re ****ed. Just look at the Caps from the past few years.
Clearly the best post in this thread. Thanks for your insight

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 09:20 AM
  #115
moosehead81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
This is a little right and a little wrong. And, I do know the answer to why Ed Snider wanted to get rid of both Richards and Carter, because I know people who work for the Flyers. That said, you wouldn't believe me anyway, plus it doesn't matter now that he's no longer a member of the Flyers. But I will tell you this...regardless of what the "media" said, it was NOT to free up money for a goalie.
So typical of the latter 3 months of Richards' career in Philadelphia- rumour, hearsay and innuendo; at least you have the balls to admit it was Snider who made the trade. But, as usual, just about everyone in Philadelphia who didn't like Richards admits that they know why he was traded but never come out and actually say why. Would that be because it is based on rumour, hearsay and innuendo and not based on facts? We all know the cousin of the brother who's a friend of the aunt who works in the ticket booth (game days only) and is therefore all-knowing of the front office machinations. Good grief!

moosehead81 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
  #116
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
but remnants of the previous coaching regime still remain
Hell, remnants of the previous previous coaching regime still remain.

Monarchist is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
  #117
Boxscore
#oldNHL
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1974-94
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
So typical of the latter 3 months of Richards' career in Philadelphia- rumour, hearsay and innuendo; at least you have the balls to admit it was Snider who made the trade. But, as usual, just about everyone in Philadelphia who didn't like Richards admits that they know why he was traded but never come out and actually say why. Would that be because it is based on rumour, hearsay and innuendo and not based on facts? We all know the cousin of the brother who's a friend of the aunt who works in the ticket booth (game days only) and is therefore all-knowing of the front office machinations. Good grief!
Yep, you got it. Like I said, it doesn't matter what I (or anyone would) say, because if you don't like what you hear, you'll just call it "rumor, hearsay and innuendo" but if it supported your point of view, you would probably label it "fact" or "inside information". I realize this, which is why it makes no sense to even go down this road.

BUT, forget what I would have to say or what anyone would have to say. Just look at the reality and ask yourself these simple two questions:

1. WHY would a team who made it to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010 choose to trade BOTH, their captain and their leading goal scorer who were 26 years old and just entering their prime? Here's a hint...it WASN'T to "sign a goalie" because there's other players who would have been traded (or not signed) to fit in a goalie contract.

2. WHEN was the last time a professional sports team (not just NHL) traded two members of their "core" when they were still young and entering their prime? Anytime a trade like that happens it's over a contract dispute or the player demands a trade...this was not the case for either player.

Just ask yourself those questions and try to answer them honestly, without bias. Then think, what could possibly make a team roll the dice and do something this drastic.

Boxscore is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
  #118
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Yep, you got it. Like I said, it doesn't matter what I (or anyone would) say, because if you don't like what you hear, you'll just call it "rumor, hearsay and innuendo" but if it supported your point of view, you would probably label it "fact" or "inside information". I realize this, which is why it makes no sense to even go down this road.

BUT, forget what I would have to say or what anyone would have to say. Just look at the reality and ask yourself these simple two questions:

1. WHY would a team who made it to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010 choose to trade BOTH, their captain and their leading goal scorer who were 26 years old and just entering their prime? Here's a hint...it WASN'T to "sign a goalie" because there's other players who would have been traded (or not signed) to fit in a goalie contract.

2. WHEN was the last time a professional sports team (not just NHL) traded two members of their "core" when they were still young and entering their prime? Anytime a trade like that happens it's over a contract dispute or the player demands a trade...this was not the case for either player.

Just ask yourself those questions and try to answer them honestly, without bias. Then think, what could possibly make a team roll the dice and do something this drastic.
Pretty good questions to ask and I look forward to seeing some answers. I think Philly played both LA and Columbus brilliantly. I wish we had that kind of GM in LA.

tomd is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
  #119
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 589
vCash: 500
Richards is not a bad player having a horrible season like some may imply, but his season has been disappointing. Anyone who disagrees (valid excuse or not) hasn't seen him play in Philly. If these results make Kings fans happy you guys would have been just as happy if you traded that package for Dave Bolland.

I understand many people like to talk about other players struggles and injuries and the system etc but it's still been a disappointing 1st season for him.

Tim Tebow is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
  #120
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow
 
WhatTheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the Black Hole
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
This reminds me of Kopitar and Brown. Darlings of the franchise when they first came in, now it seems a lot of fans wouldn't be opposed to seeing either get traded.

WhatTheFox is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
  #121
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow
 
WhatTheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the Black Hole
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Richards is not a bad player having a horrible season like some may imply, but his season has been disappointing. Anyone who disagrees (valid excuse or not) hasn't seen him play in Philly. If these results make Kings fans happy you guys would have been just as happy if you traded that package for Dave Bolland.

I understand many people like to talk about other players struggles and injuries and the system etc but it's still been a disappointing 1st season for him.
I think it'd be more of a concern if the rest of the team were having good seasons and he was still struggling. As it is, I think every single player on the team is having a bad year... all of them.

WhatTheFox is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:08 PM
  #122
Reaper1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Yep, you got it. Like I said, it doesn't matter what I (or anyone would) say, because if you don't like what you hear, you'll just call it "rumor, hearsay and innuendo" but if it supported your point of view, you would probably label it "fact" or "inside information". I realize this, which is why it makes no sense to even go down this road.

BUT, forget what I would have to say or what anyone would have to say. Just look at the reality and ask yourself these simple two questions:

1. WHY would a team who made it to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010 choose to trade BOTH, their captain and their leading goal scorer who were 26 years old and just entering their prime? Here's a hint...it WASN'T to "sign a goalie" because there's other players who would have been traded (or not signed) to fit in a goalie contract.

2. WHEN was the last time a professional sports team (not just NHL) traded two members of their "core" when they were still young and entering their prime? Anytime a trade like that happens it's over a contract dispute or the player demands a trade...this was not the case for either player.

Just ask yourself those questions and try to answer them honestly, without bias. Then think, what could possibly make a team roll the dice and do something this drastic.
I agree, there had to be a lot more to it then just needing a goalie for the flyers to make such drastic and franchise altering moves. The front office obviously knew what they were doing and how to fix the direction of the team.

Just read what each fan base is writing about the players in the deal. I would say about 75% of the flyers fans are ok with the Richards being gone whereas I would about 75% of the kings fans are wishing simmonds was still there and that doesnt even consider what schenn might give the flyers in the future.

Reaper1097 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
  #123
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
The negative nancy types are fun.


They always come out after a loss to make sure everyone knows "weeee weee I feel right today cause the Kings lost weeeeee"


Lol I ain't even mad. This stuff is downright hilarious. It's like we should have a bet going in the GDTs on losses about how long it will take before

A) A thread is started by Herby, PSP, TOMD, or

B) a post is made about what dire straights the team is in and how we are hopeless.


Taking bets starting now.

I got 5 bucks on 10 minutes after the next loss option B occurs.
Lumping PSP in that group is wrong. He may be negative, but guy knows his stuff and brings up valid points much more often than the "Lalalala I can't hear you. you're facts don't matter cause I said he sucks" crowd. I like having him around to keep people honest, but I wouldn't throw him in with the negative nancy crowd that show up after loses to troll the rest of us. Just felt the need to say that. Now back to regularly scheduled bickering like school children.

tigermask48 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
  #124
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I agree, there had to be a lot more to it then just needing a goalie for the flyers to make such drastic and franchise altering moves. The front office obviously knew what they were doing and how to fix the direction of the team.

Just read what each fan base is writing about the players in the deal. I would say about 75% of the flyers fans are ok with the Richards being gone whereas I would about 75% of the kings fans are wishing simmonds was still there and that doesnt even consider what schenn might give the flyers in the future.
You would have a hard time getting 75% of Kings fans to agree to that. I would say it is a very vocal minority that is upset with the trade.

Lombardi hockey is being played in LA and it sucks the life out of any offense. Just look at his track record in SJ and LA. We were all hoping 6 years ago that Dean learned something from his days in SJ, but he is repeating the exact same mistakes and won't accept that he and his coaching decisions are the problem.

When AEG gave him a chance to hire his third coach in LA and he chose Sutter? That was the final nail in his coffin. AEG gave him a final chance to correct his mistake(s) and he decided to make the same mistake again and it should cost him his job.

The Sutter hire was a colossal failure on his part. Just look at how many young, successful coaching hires are out there right now and Dean goes with another fossil from the "glory" days of defenive hockey.

Once Lombardi is gone, the next GM will have some amazing assets to use to get the team playing an uptempo, offensive style. Who wouldn't want Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Williams and Richards as part of their long term core at forward? With Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell and Scuderi as the top 4 defense? Quick and Bernier in net? That is a great group to build around and some great assets to trade if the new GM feels like changing the room.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
  #125
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow
 
WhatTheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the Black Hole
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I agree, there had to be a lot more to it then just needing a goalie for the flyers to make such drastic and franchise altering moves. The front office obviously knew what they were doing and how to fix the direction of the team.

Just read what each fan base is writing about the players in the deal. I would say about 75% of the flyers fans are ok with the Richards being gone whereas I would about 75% of the kings fans are wishing simmonds was still there and that doesnt even consider what schenn might give the flyers in the future.
I actually think about 75% of Kings' fans wish Simmonds were still here, but would've still made that trade 10 times out of 10.

He's struggling, but for a good stretch up until he got hurt, he was quite the player.

WhatTheFox is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.