HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne and Emelin

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Stan

vCash: 500
O'Byrne and Emelin

Hey guys. I think most of us would agree that our prospect depth along the blueline is not what it should be, and has to be addressed at the draft, but I was wondering how our two top defensive prospects (IMO) are progressing. Will they be signed this summer? What's their ceiling?

Old
01-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Both are having terrific years and I think both have a lot of potential.

I'm not sure about O'Byrne's situation, as to how much longer he has in the University system, or when he could/would join Hamilton if signed, but I do have high hopes of us signing and bringing over Emelin this Summer.

The worry with Emelin is that he plays an important role with an RSL team, and with no transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia, bringing him to North America might prove costly, especially considering he almost certainly can make more money staying in Russia than playing in the AHL.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
both are top 4 potential, with both possibly being able to reach # 2 status... just look at markov

Old
01-29-2006, 11:28 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu

The worry with Emelin is that he plays an important role with an RSL team, and with no transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia, bringing him to North America might prove costly, especially considering he almost certainly can make more money staying in Russia than playing in the AHL.
With the way he performed for Team Russia at the WJCs, I would say Emelin is worth taking the risk and having to pay the required amount to bring him over in North America. I can't believe the improvement he showed in only 1 year... it's really amazing. I thought he didn't have much offensive upside, but there you see him 1 year later, quarterbacking the PP and moving the puck like crazy. Very encouraging signs!

Old
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Hey guys. I think most of us would agree that our prospect depth along the blueline is not what it should be, and has to be addressed at the draft, but I was wondering how our two top defensive prospects (IMO) are progressing. Will they be signed this summer? What's their ceiling?

Both are having big years, O'Byrne I've seen more of, and he's really picked up his all round game. He's not as physical as he was in the past but is much stronger in his own end. He can be signed this summer, but he may chose to go back to Cornell for his final year.

Emelin I have seen twice play for Lada plus both wjc's and I've been impressed with his play for a 19 year old. I do expect to see him in Hamilton next year assuming Lada doesn't give Gainey much trouble as they likely will want a chunk of change for him. In the past it wouldn't be that much since he was a 3rd round pick but now I'd say it will cost more since he plays a major role with the team and I'm sure they would want to keep him since the team has already lost so many of it's top players.

Old
01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
both are top 4 potential, with both possibly being able to reach # 2 status... just look at markov
I doubt O'Byrne has #2 potential, and this is coming from one of his biggest fans. He has solid stay-at-home bruiser type of upside, likely #5 or 6, maybe even #4, but not much else.

Emelin is a different story though. Because contrarily to O'Byrne, he doesn't seem to lack on the hockey sense department. He's smart in both ends of the ice and also physical. Complete, though not elite, I can definitelly see him becoming a solid top-4 down the road. He'll have to keep his emotions in check though because he has a tendency to lose his cool when things start going downhill for his team, and that's when he can become a bit dirty which can be costly for his team.

The one I always Liked also for his fluid skating and smart 2-way game but haven't seen for a long while now is Oskari Korpikari. Wondering how he's progressed over the last couple seasons.

Old
01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I doubt O'Byrne has #2 potential, and this is coming from one of his biggest fans. He has solid stay-at-home bruiser type of upside, likely #5 or 6, maybe even #4, but not much else.

Emelin is a different story though. Because contrarily to O'Byrne, he doesn't seem to lack on the hockey sense department. He's smart in both ends of the ice and also physical. Complete, though not elite, I can definitelly see him becoming a solid top-4 down the road. He'll have to keep his emotions in check though because he has a tendency to lose his cool when things start going downhill for his team, and that's when he can become a bit dirty which can be costly for his team.

The one I always Liked also for his fluid skating and smart 2-way game but haven't seen for a long while now is Oskari Korpikari. Wondering how he's progressed over the last couple seasons.

O'Byrne has really turned a corner in his play. I get to see him play a good bit and imo he's Cornell's top defensemen and has to be one of the top defensemen in the ECAC if not the NCAA. He runs the PP for Cornell, they often look to setup his shot, he leads the PK (along with Gleed) blocking shots, pinning his man along the boards, boxing out players, putting his stick in the passing lanes. I think he's shown great improvement this year not just offensively but in his own end. His entire game has really improved. I think his decision making still needs work but he's shown a lot of improvement there as well imo.

I have no clue what his upside is, I don't care for predicting since it always seemed rather silly to me just as I never get into comparing prospects to NHLers and I even think it's sort of pointless to rank prospects but it's fun to do so.

I will say the thing that gets my attention is when a prospect shows a great deal of improvement over their weakspots. Kostitsyn comes to mind with the impressive improvement he's made in his defensive play. O'Byrne with the improvement in his decision making and offensive game has been impressive, hope he can continue to build on this.

Old
01-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
O'Byrne has really turned a corner in his play. I get to see him play a good bit and imo he's Cornell's top defensemen and has to be one of the top defensemen in the ECAC if not the NCAA. He runs the PP for Cornell, they often look to setup his shot, he leads the PK (along with Gleed) blocking shots, pinning his man along the boards, boxing out players, putting his stick in the passing lanes. I think he's shown great improvement this year not just offensively but in his own end. His entire game has really improved. I think his decision making still needs work but he's shown a lot of improvement there as well imo.

I have no clue what his upside is, I don't care for predicting since it always seemed rather silly to me just as I never get into comparing prospects to NHLers and I even think it's sort of pointless to rank prospects but it's fun to do so.

I will say the thing that gets my attention is when a prospect shows a great deal of improvement over their weakspots. Kostitsyn comes to mind with the impressive improvement he's made in his defensive play. O'Byrne with the improvement in his decision making and offensive game has been impressive, hope he can continue to build on this.

On tsn they have a futue watch and list O'byrne as our best defensive prospect so thats a nice sign.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=1027&hubname=

Old
01-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Both are having big years, O'Byrne I've seen more of, and he's really picked up his all round game. He's not as physical as he was in the past but is much stronger in his own end. He can be signed this summer, but he may chose to go back to Cornell for his final year.

Emelin I have seen twice play for Lada plus both wjc's and I've been impressed with his play for a 19 year old. I do expect to see him in Hamilton next year assuming Lada doesn't give Gainey much trouble as they likely will want a chunk of change for him. In the past it wouldn't be that much since he was a 3rd round pick but now I'd say it will cost more since he plays a major role with the team and I'm sure they would want to keep him since the team has already lost so many of it's top players.
So do you think it would be better for his development to stay with Cornell, or should he go to the AHL...in your opinion?

Also..thanks for the responses

Old
01-29-2006, 08:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
So do you think it would be better for his development to stay with Cornell, or should he go to the AHL...in your opinion?

Also..thanks for the responses

To be honest I don't know what would be better for him. I would think that the Habs would want him to start his pro career sooner then later and in the past I would have said he needs all 4 years but with his play this season imo he could handle playing in Hamilton. But I also have no problem with a guy wanting to finish school and hopefully having a big senior year. Cornell is very well coached imo and they play a great system compared to other NCAA teams imo, so he's in good hands if he stays on for one more year.

Old
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

If he turned pro, he would probably go to Hamilton his first season. If he were going to play in Montreal right away, it would be an easier decision for him.

Closed Thread