HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey stick length

Old
02-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Ducati1098VII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo93 View Post
thanks guys, i cut my stick up to a little under my nose, i was talking about ball hockey which i may have forgot to mention.

even so, i feel way more comfortable like this and i dont really need the longer stick as im a rw.

thanks again
Go more. I used to play uncut. Then i cut a bit to my shoulder on feet. Then I went to my chest on feet. I have more control better stick handling. Shots work just as well.

Go grab a ball place it on the floor hold ur stick as if it was cut at ur chest, and try some moves. It is a big diff; since i did it i been on a little streak 7pts 3 games.

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Hmmm... I want to cut down my backup as an experiment now, but I don't have the tools...
I've cut down composite sticks with a steak knife. Just a note to anybody reducing the length of their stick there will be an adjustment period in some ways. Stick-handling especially in tight should instantly feel better and you may even feel like your stick is in a more natural position for catching passes and reaching out to deflect or steal passes. The adjustment will be in taking shots, mostly slapshots. You will have to bend in the knees a little more to get into a shot but don't give up if you go out there and whiff on your slapshot your first time out like I did because now that I've adjusted my slapshot is more powerful because I get so much more push into it from getting low in my shots.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1098VII View Post
Then I went to my chest on feet.
Pretty soon you're going to be out there with a mini-stick!

Old
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Get a hacksaw/mitrebox combo at the hardware store. They're only $10.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I've cut down composite sticks with a steak knife. Just a note to anybody reducing the length of their stick there will be an adjustment period in some ways. Stick-handling especially in tight should instantly feel better and you may even feel like your stick is in a more natural position for catching passes and reaching out to deflect or steal passes. The adjustment will be in taking shots, mostly slapshots. You will have to bend in the knees a little more to get into a shot but don't give up if you go out there and whiff on your slapshot your first time out like I did because now that I've adjusted my slapshot is more powerful because I get so much more push into it from getting low in my shots.
THIS. The first time out with the shorter stick I whiffed so bad on the shot that I ended up on my back.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
THIS. The first time out with the shorter stick I whiffed so bad on the shot that I ended up on my back.
Haha, I went out for pre-game warm-ups and lined up for a shot on the goalie and hit nothing but air, everybody on my new team probably thought I was garbage!

Old
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Quote:
I cut mine around collar bone height. I just found this site and it seems I'm not alone.

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/
holy as if they had the sticks that short.

i use to cut to my nose on feet but now just switched to cutting to my bottom lip on feet and i've already whiffed on a few shots. stick handling forsure is better just need to adjust

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

Got a saw/box combo; cut my stick down more than 4 inches. Much easier than I though it would be. Should be about a 105-110 flex now which is much more appropriate for my weight. Hopefully my stick handling improves and my shot doesn't degrade too much. I'll update after I try it out tomorrow.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:46 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Got a saw/box combo; cut my stick down more than 4 inches. Much easier than I though it would be. Should be about a 105-110 flex now which is much more appropriate for my weight. Hopefully my stick handling improves and my shot doesn't degrade too much. I'll update after I try it out tomorrow.
thats a massive difference, you going to need an adjustment period for that much of a change

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Ducati1098VII

Quote:
Pretty soon you're going to be out there with a mini-stick!
Well its for ball hockey. I would do between shoulder n chest for ice.

and ill leave the mini stick to perry

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:15 PM
epo

Between this and the flex thread I decided to bring a 9 year old intermediate stick I have and try it out during the warm up. I ended up using it the whole game. It is around 2 inches shorter than my new stick, which I made a point of cutting a bit shorter. 75 flex TPS Red Lite. I never got used to it in bantam (maybe I did, but my dad teased me a bit that my scoring went down from wood sticks). I felt like I had a lot of control, but my shots were all wide on the far side coming down the wing. May have to do with the massive curve on the blade though.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've had issues with the old TPS Redlite torquing as well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
ponder

Yeah, if you're going to use a really whippy stick, it has to be a high end one, otherwise it'll be torquing all over the place, and generally feeling awful on shots and on receiving passes.

Re: stick length, I don't have stats to back this up, but my honest guess would be that around 95% of NHL players (and high level hockey players in general) use a stick that's within about 2-3" above or below their adam's apple when they're in skates. Guys using sticks that are roughly nose-height on skates are the exceptions at a higher level, they're few and far between, and mostly defensive dmen. Willie Mitchell is know for using probably the most absurdly long stick relative to his height in the league, and if you watch him resting with his stick vertical on timeouts and what not, it appears to be roughly nose height:

Again, that's pretty much the absolute extreme in terms of using a long stick, and Mitchell only uses such a long stick because he's so focused on defensive play, and not trying to do much offensively. For a player who's more of an offensive contributor, it's very rare to have a stick much above the bottom of the chin (on skates), most guys are using a stick cut to within a couple inches above or below their collar bone on skates. If your stick is well above the bottom of your chin, and you're planning on contributing somewhat offensively, it's almost certainly too long. Mitchell is 6'3", he uses a 63" long stick (measured from the heel to the end of the shaft), and it is considered RIDICULOUSLY long by NHL standards. That means if you're 6', and using a stick (60" long) stick, you're stick is relatively as ridiculously long as Mitchell's. Also worth noting that the NHL maximum allowed stick length is 63", and only if you're 6'6"+ can you apply to the league for an exception, up to a maximum stick length of 65".

As a rule of thumb for newer players, I'd say cut your stick to your adam's apple on skates, and then adjust from there if necessary (add a plug if you want a bit more length, cut it down if you want a bit less). To a certain extent you can adjust your stick length to the lie of the curve you're using, but mostly you should find a lie that suits your preferred stick length, as opposed to find a stick length to suit the lie of your blade. If the lie of a curve is so extreme that I have to use a stick more than about an inch away from my preferred length (just below the adam's apple on skates for me), then the curve is simply a bad choice IMO.

Also, yes, when transitioning from a long to a short stick, it can mess up your shot at first, you may find yourself whiffing on pucks and that shooting feels weird, but you honestly should adjust very quickly, within a few stick and pucks/practices. If you're cutting a few inches off, you may also find that your stick is too stiff at the shorter length, and that you need to move down a flex rating. But long term, I think most people's offensive skill development will be seriously aided by going from a long stick (chin to eyes height on skates) to a shorter one (somewhere near the adam's apple), so long as you find a curve with the right lie, and a stick with the right flex.

Last edited by ponder: 03-02-2012 at 01:48 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:47 AM
nullterm

Finding it's an adjustment, but well worth it. Going from mouth to collarbone, in skates.

My slapshot is okay, other than a few whiffs in warmup. Snapshot needs way more practice to get used to. Wristers are still good.

Receiving, handling and passing feel more natural. Guess that makes sense with better body position and not chicken winging my control hand/arm.

Biggest surprise is one timers, I was getting them off way more naturally than when I was using the longer stick.

The catch is my composite is now too stiff, so either gotta get used to it or find something with a lower flex. Luckily the old woodie I cut down first feels just right, ended up playing with that all night.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:26 AM
MikeModano9

I would say everyone is different depending on your style of play. I cut my sticks a bit shorter. Up to my chest on skates, but I'm a stick handler and play maker. Usually dmen use longer sticks for obvious reasons. I'd say just experiment. Cut a little bit off and try it out. Until you get the right feel. I even find minuscule 1/8th or 1/4 inches makes a difference. It's all preference though

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:24 PM
krax

My 13y/o uses sticks reaching above his eyebrows. I tried to convince him to cut them, he doesn't like it. Should I force him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7_7E9OBqBY

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:35 PM
ponder

I have noticed that you'll see shorter players using sticks that seem long relative to their height more often than taller players do. Honestly, I can't remember how long my stick was when I was younger, but the height recommendations I was giving out were more for someone who's around 6' tall, I'm not really sure what to recommend for kids. He looks like he's playing at a very high level with his stick at its current length, if you guys ever do father/son skates maybe see if he'll spend some time using a shorter stick then, to give it a decent shot and see whether or not he likes it. If he has given a shorter stick a significant shot, and still doesn't like it, there are people who are outliers, very few high level players prefer a stick that long, but the odd ones do.

Old
03-03-2012, 02:23 PM
neksys

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:41 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I'm sure this was meant as a joke, but before anyone thinks he actually used a stick this long, he stuck 2 sticks together and used it during the warmup as a joke after opposing players were questioning whether his game stick was actually regulation length.

Old
03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
esuhock22

When on skates I have my ice hockey stick at my chin, but for roller I like it at around my collarbone.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I recently have been extending Bauer OPS and cutting Two-piece setups to about 59.5" heel to end at 6'2". Today I had a hunch that I wanted to pull my extension (1/2") out of my T1 p08 to use at standard length and just that difference was huge for stickhandling and passing. Shooting felt better too as I had to get lower.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
esidebill

I'm 6'5 and I've found a few sticks that I don't really need to cut/extend. I don't mind a longer stick because I can cover 1/2 the ice or play keep-away.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
masshky

How to properly MEASURE stick length?!

Bump.. I posed the same question on MSH regarding the correct way to accurately measure the length of a stick.

According to NHL Rules, no stick shall exceed 63" in length from the heel to the end of the shaft (straight down the length of the shaft until you run out of shaft, see the image below).

So is this the proper way to measure a stick's length and/or how the manufacturers measure??

I typically measure further down, straight down to the bottom of the blade, at the heel, where it curves and would sit flat on the ice. Is that an improper way to measure because of lie, rocker, etc.?

masshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 03:12 AM
jazzykat

I've read all the info about stick cutting and the proof is always how does it work on the ice but I've got to ask. I just got a 20K stick (my first high end stick) and it is about 1.5-2 inches longer than my other sticks I play with. I tried it out on my stick handling pad last night and it felt AMAZING. Is it possible that having a really light stick with good feel will allow you to play a longer one or will it be even more amazing after I cut it to what I normally use?

FYI, I'm a defenseman and the new stick only goes to the middle of my nose, my old sticks to the middle of my mouth.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo93 View Post
hi guys,

most of my sticks have been from the ground up to my eyebrows or so. i always hear people saying that your hockey stick should be up to your mouth or nose.

ive never cut my sticks before but when i was using my friends stick a few days ago which is up to a little under my nose i noticed that i was getting off better slap shots which is one part of my game that is not up to par.

by cutting the end of my stick about an inch or two give me more velocity on my slap shot or is it the same deal?
A good starting point or general rule of thumb is having your stick come to your chin while standing bare foot. That being said it may not feel like it is the right height for you personally- and that's okay. Tinkering with any piece of equipment to make you feel comfortable is normal and what makes hockey so unique. Not everyone has the same preference for every piece of equipment and what works for someone else may not work for you.

Add some length or cut some off depending on how it feels when you play. It may not seem like much but one or two inches added or cut off could make a huge difference on how comfortable you feel!

Hope that helps.

Ciao
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote