HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Isles at Caps. 7pm. Verizoney Centre. 2.28.2012

Old
02-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

vCash: 500
To get over GMGM lack of action on the deadline ive been telling myself our deadline pickup is Mike Green.

Lets see what a healthy Mike Green can do to the breakout and PP before we stick a fork in the season. Its been almost a entire year since the caps had Green for longer then a 10 game stretch.

still having Mojo and MP85 as our #1&2 center is a pretty scary thought.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Roughing

Well, GM told these candy ***** yesterday that it's up to them. No help is on the way and *****ing doesn't get you out of here. It's a home game against a ****** team so Caps will win this one. That doesn't mitigate the cowardice at the TDL.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:29 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
If you weren't upset when he said he made his playoff lineup last summer, there is no reason to be now

But I think its high time for Dale to rally the troops. I think he needs to sit the boys down and address any and all predeadline drama that had you in a tizzy. Tell them all its just hockey, you have all seen this stuff before, but its time to put a sock in it, boy, or else you'll be outta here like shiat through a goose. We do control our density.

The problem I see is what to do with Hammer. I would love for him and Knuble to come out shot out of a cannon and hit someone. Rally the team on the ice as a vet leader. But I see him as a scratch.

My lines
Ovi Johansson Knuble
Chimera Perreault Semin
Hendricks Laich Brouwer
Beagle Halpern Ward

I can't believe I am actually typing this
Jeff "T9" Schultz Green
Alzner Carlson
Orlove Wideman

Neuvirth

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-28-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Its high time to refresh your dumb advatar
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

I'm taking a drink everytime Joe B says "no relation".

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

If he says that for mp and parenteau, you chug.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Capitlols
Blow it up

I don't understand DH/managements lovefest for Aucoin, especially over Knuble.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Katie Carrera ‏ @kcarrera
Looks like Knuble, Hamrlik and Erskine will be healthy scratches tonight. #Caps

Old
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Tuesday night used to be ladies night at the Vous. It's in my DNA to drink on Tuesday dammit. Getting ladies to get the pitchers was the biggest no brainer in all of my collegiate career. The second biggest, cashing out a discarded pitcher to get the dollar refund and parlay that into getting a slice across the street. And burning the roof of my mouth.

Aucoin in, huh, well I guess after his best game of the year thinking??? Otherwise, get your ass to Hershey. Maybe Knuble is just too slow? At 39, it shouldn't be a shocker if a coach finally thinks its an issue. Not that I have seen it, but its a such a long slow gradual process, aging, I dont think its easily seen watching him every day.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post

Good

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:43 AM
DrPP

Quote:

Oye yeh.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

The "newest" guy is Mike Green. Looking back at the start of the season the Caps got off to a quick start and so did Dennis Wideman. IMO I attribute that to simply having Green in the lineup. His being in the lineup is twofold for me. Number one it puts his talent in the lineup. Number two it moves Dennis Wideman out of the top 4 which to me is almost as huge.

Hamrlik didn't deserve being scratched - no more than anyone else. And I could list the reasons. His teammates have made the same mistakes if not moreso in some cases. I'd be slightly concerned about his mindset right about now but he's a professional and he'll find his way.

Hendricks doesn't get benched for giftwrapping a goal to the Rangers, taking penalties and looking like a ECHL'er in another game. Give me Knuble please.

If I see those things I have to believe the two vets to do and maybe wonder why they are working with short leashes in comparison to their teammates. I'd put Vokoun in the same boat. Hunter's handling of his vets is what is most troubling to me.

I won't bank on Backstrom coming back for the playoffs but now is a time for Perreault and Johansson to step up. I'm quietly, cautiously confident about the last two games because they were wins against two of the league's worse teams of late. You can't go much lower in the conference than Montreal and Toronto laid another egg after a pre-game ceremony. They laid an egg after the Mats Sundin game.

Scratching the vets again I see. Hamrlik was good enough when Green was out but now that Green is back Schultz is better. Where was this Schultz talent when Green was out. Make no sense to me. LOL Hamrlik good enough to carry Kundratek and Orlov around but not now. Hamrlik good enough to have the best plus / minus under Hunter but not now. A PR mistake has turned into a power struggle between coach and his vets. I bet those two are seething.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I can't believe they are going to have that $3.5 million on the books next year....sitting in the pressbox every night.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I can't believe they are going to have that $3.5 million on the books next year....sitting in the pressbox every night.
Huge blunder by GMGM not to dump that salary if there were any takers.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Ted will be paying Hamrlik, Poti and Schultz more money than Ryan Suter will make next year.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:

I'll try to put a positive spin on all of this regarding Knuble and Hamrlik. Perhaps DH trying to conserve their health/energy for the playoffs and wants to only use them sparingly during the remainder of the regular season. Playoff hockey is where their abilities and experience will come in most handy.

Can't remember the last time John Erskine got a sweater.

This is my best effort at trying to rationalize this situation.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Out with the old, in the new. We have all seen it, and its a tough pill to swallow for the players and fans of the players. Its not always about who replaces them, its about them. Knuble I think may be too slow to Dale. We have heard fans here suggesting this back to last year. Its not a stretch for anyone to think a 39 year old has slowed.

Nylan... errr Hammer, well he just flat out got punked by a hungry Sarge. I thought he was scratched as trade bait, but perhaps not. He got scratched because Sarge shocked the world and graduated. Damn I wish we would have made him try to play man earlier in his development, to bring out the aggressiveness.

While we are not rebuilding, we still have a lot of young players in the lineup. They need their time if you are looking long term. And long term Ted does, and its George's job security.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Its like DH and GMGM aren't even on the same page. Its clear Hamrlik and Knuble have fell out of favor, yet GMGM seems oblivious to it.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Out with the old, in the new. We have all seen it, and its a tough pill to swallow for the players and fans of the players. Its not always about who replaces them, its about them. Knuble I think may be too slow to Dale. We have heard fans here suggesting this back to last year. Its not a stretch for anyone to think a 39 year old has slowed.

Nylan... errr Hammer, well he just flat out got punked by a hungry Sarge. I thought he was scratched as trade bait, but perhaps not. He got scratched because Sarge shocked the world and graduated. Damn I wish we would have made him try to play man earlier in his development, to bring out the aggressiveness.

While we are not rebuilding, we still have a lot of young players in the lineup. They need their time if you are looking long term. And long term Ted does, and its George's job security.
I think it's still true but now they've got to cover their tracks after a PR nightmare. Scratch your players. Bench your players. Communicate with your players before exposing them to the media. Notice they are not speaking today.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
Its like DH and GMGM aren't even on the same page. Its clear Hamrlik and Knuble have fell out of favor, yet GMGM seems oblivious to it.
This is probably the thing the bugged me most about the non-moves. It seemed like GMGM blatantly undermining the coaching staff. I mean, does GMGM think that elephant's just going to go away on its own?

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Marginal benefit vs Marginal Cost. GM seems to outweigh the benefit of keeping them (injury insurance) vs the cost (biotching to Katie, negative attitude, chemical imbalance hurting the team). Only if injuries hit, will George be right.

I see Dale as forced to be the one to keep the peace. His job may have gotten a little harder. George has not made a move specifically catered to Dale. He pulled Flash out from under Bruce causing a tailspin, so its hardly new news that George gets who he wants.

I would like to see Dale rotate Beagle Ward and Knuble, keep them all motivated rested etc. Hammer, he is just facked for now. Suck it up, spend some of that money and quit yer yapping or we'll trade you to cbus.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Dirtbag59

*Wakes up from 3 day coma*

Man this is great. Woke up just in time to see the Caps role our their new acquisitions.

*Opens Capitals Insider*

"Caps stay pat" Who's this Pat? Is he a Center, a defenseman, a power forward?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
This is probably the thing the bugged me most about the non-moves. It seemed like GMGM blatantly undermining the coaching staff. I mean, does GMGM think that elephant's just going to go away on its own?
I gotta say - strange situation. Hunter is in over his head?

Kinda weird for me to watch this unfold but it almost looks like players caught up in a power struggle between coach and GMGM. I definitely can draw parallels from a personal experience.

In a nutshell I started on a varsity team for three years. Halfway through that third year we got a new coach. It developed into a messy situation between new coach and principal - nothing to do with me. My last year I was cut from the team by the new coach who started me the year before. After protesting I was reinstated by the administration who overruled the coach. So the parallels are new coach, power struggle between upper level, overrule coach's desires = players on a much shorter leash and caught in the middle. The coach didn't last long. Maybe that's why GMGM didn't make moves. Waiting for the new coach.

Obviously there could be something else going on but this situation brings back memories. I'll have to see if I can draw more parallels moving forward. And from an athlete's perspective being a scapegoat was quite mentally taxing. I never quit the team. I get where Hamr and Knubles are - they are good enough to make the team in fact better but expendable if someone is miffed at someone else.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Huge blunder by GMGM not to dump that salary if there were any takers.
In all fairness nothing says GMGM can't trade Hamrlik in the offseason.

Knuble and Wideman tho...we'll see if the gamble pays off.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
marcel snapshot

We have lost to the Isles twice this year. We have had trouble with their quickness.
Hence, Hamr, Knoobs and Erskine are scratched. It's not complicated.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In all fairness nothing says GMGM can't trade Hamrlik in the offseason.

Knuble and Wideman tho...we'll see if the gamble pays off.
Using an objective and ultra realistic scientific study I found that Wideman will be a huge liability going forward. In a nutshell I played with the Caps on a couple of games on NHL 12 and the puck kept bouncing off Widemans stick on top of Wideman missing pokes and opponents bouncing off his body checks.

I incurred on average about 12 "DAMNIT WIDEMAN" comments a game.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote