HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

sad day for me as a long time habs fan

Old
02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
missthenet

vCash: 500
sad day for me as a long time habs fan

I've been a long time habs fan but today is a sad day for me after seeing Hal Gills interview about AK. 5 years ago we had a top rated farm team and prospect pool and today we are back to the Houle Tremblay era and looks to me like a long way to get back to where we were. I have little or no faith in the current management team and the with the press and their epectations of habs players I can't see how it will ever get any better.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
SpreeEndaz

And what did he say exactly about Kostitsyn?

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I've been a long time habs fan but today is a sad day for me after seeing Hal Gills interview about AK. 5 years ago we had a top rated farm team and prospect pool and today we are back to the Houle Tremblay era and looks to me like a long way to get back to where we were. I have little or no faith in the current management team and the with the press and their epectations of habs players I can't see how it will ever get any better.
kiiiiinda useless without the quote dude...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Habs

This team is three players, a GM and two drafts from being legit again. Shouldn't take but a couple years.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Eller
Emelin
Leblanc
Geoffrion
White
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Gallagher
Bournival
Kristo

All young players already in the NHL or close to make it (1-2 years). Add to that a lottery pick, strong leaders (Gorges, Cole, Gionta...) and some key depth players, and you definitely have something to build around.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

This team is missing a PP QB (Markov), Top line big center, and a tough stay at home Dman. Then of course a good coach and GM. The prospect pool is pretty good, especially after this years draft, so the habs arn't so far from being a contender as the standings indicate.

Think of New Jersey last season

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

We hardly have a thin prospect pool. You wanna see thin? Look at Calgary.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
scottyG

I don't get it...
Houle era? really
Our farm team looks to be one of the best next year with Bealieu,Tinordi,Gallager (just to name a few) plus on top of that we have a top 3(5) pick this year plus two in the 2nd round and 4 picks in the top 60 in next years draft
As for the trades we traded away two players (Gill and AK) that weren't in our future plans and got back good value for both

And with all the cap space next year im sure we will be ok

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

great quote. i hate that gill...

Old
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/ -> Preds Players Talk Andrei Kostitsyn Trade

Quote:
He was in a tough position in Montreal. [...] He can win a game for you.
There's some other stuff, but nothing really major.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
This team is missing a PP QB (Markov), Top line big center, and a tough stay at home Dman. Then of course a good coach and GM. The prospect pool is pretty good, especially after this years draft, so the habs arn't so far from being a contender as the standings indicate.

Think of New Jersey last season
I thinking Philly in 07...

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
guest1467

I think people really under emphasize how most of our most promising prospects have not turned pro yet, but will be shortly.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
And what did he say exactly about Kostitsyn?
sorry it was TSN this morning he said it was a different atmosphere there and he noticed when he arrived in Nashville that SK was fitting in with the guys and he hoped that it would be the same for AK. I was thinking more about all the young guys we let go to soon the last number of years which really depleted our talent pool and has left us where we are now, relentless media pressure.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
DAChampion

You guys are severely overrating our prospect pool.

Eller only becomes Plekanec in the best case scenario. Leblanc, probably less. It's a sideways move at best, because by that time Plekanec won't be as good, or he'll be traded for a 2nd round draft pick.

If we're lucky, only one of Tinordi/Beaulieu becomes a top-4 dman. By that time Gorges will be on the wrong side of 30 and Markov on the wrong side of 35. Most defensemen drafted in the 1st round don't pan out. It's a dice roll not a sure thing, and the dice is weighted towards "bust". The same Trevor Timmins who drafted Ryan McDonagh drafted David Fischer the year before.

Gallagher? I'm not looking forward to Gallagher-Desharnais-Gionta as our 2nd line.

Bournival? Kristo? Geoffrion? lol.

Ryan White? He's Gregory Stewart without the fighting ability.

What we're missing is a legit 1st line center with size, a shutdown dman who is good enough for the 1st pairing, a 3rd line shutdown center, a good coach, and a good GM. However, that's what every bad team in the NHL is missing.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Eller
Emelin
Leblanc
Geoffrion
White
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Gallagher
Bournival
Kristo

All young players already in the NHL or close to make it (1-2 years). Add to that a lottery pick, strong leaders (Gorges, Cole, Gionta...) and some key depth players, and you definitely have something to build around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
We hardly have a thin prospect pool. You wanna see thin? Look at Calgary.
Here is some cold water for what's making you hard.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1121493

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

In all honesty, I've been feeling somewhat the same way for the last little while.
All it's gonna take is a little poor trading and we're right back to the good ole twilight of the Molson days.
I'll still cheer my @ss off and have optimism with Markov and Gio returning for next year and what will hopefully be a great 1st pick for the team

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Eller only becomes Plekanec in the best case scenario. Leblanc, probably less. It's a sideways move at best, because by that time Plekanec won't be as good, or he'll be traded for a 2nd round draft pick.

If we're lucky, only one of Tinordi/Beaulieu becomes a top-4 dman. By that time Gorges will be on the wrong side of 30 and Markov on the wrong side of 35.

Gallagher? I'm not looking forward to Gallagher-Desharnais-Gionta as our 2nd line.

What we're missing is a legit 1st line center with size, a shutdown dman who is good enough for the 1st pairing, a 3rd line shutdown center, a good coach, and a good GM. However, that's what every bad team in the NHL is missing.
This organization is the thinnest it's been in it's history. period. Long time in the making, will take a long time to grow out of the predicament.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
sorry it was TSN this morning he said it was a different atmosphere there and he noticed when he arrived in Nashville that SK was fitting in with the guys and he hoped that it would be the same for AK. I was thinking more about all the young guys we let go to soon the last number of years which really depleted our talent pool and has left us where we are now, relentless media pressure.
Entertainment on AC is more important than anything, dude.

It gives paychecks to about 5 fired local-boy coaches.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
in other words: "im gonna go ahead and the smallest line ever in fantasy land to make my point stronger."

flawless victory

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
I don't get it...
Houle era? really
Our farm team looks to be one of the best next year with Bealieu,Tinordi,Gallager (just to name a few) plus on top of that we have a top 3(5) pick this year plus two in the 2nd round and 4 picks in the top 60 in next years draft
As for the trades we traded away two players (Gill and AK) that weren't in our future plans and got back good value for both

And with all the cap space next year im sure we will be ok
It should be back to being above average after the upcoming draft but last few years it's been pretty shallow. Habs have traded a lot of their top 90 picks since the 2008 draft. We had four top 60 picks in from 2008-2011. In 2012 and 2013 we are pegged to get 7.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
scottyG

Quote:

Eller only becomes Plekanec in the best case scenario. Leblanc, probably less.

If we're lucky, only one of Tinordi/Beaulieu becomes a top-4 dman. By that time Gorges will be on the wrong side of 30 and Markov on the wrong side of 35.

Or you can look at it like this

1st line Center with size might be available in the top 5 of this draft
Shutdown dman (Tinordi)
3rd line shutdown center can be had threw UFA's or prospects... Thats not a big hole to fill

White has handled himself pretty well in fights i don't know which fights you have been watching

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
5 years ago...

In red: no longer with us

2007-2008 - Regular Season - Montréal Canadiens – 104 points

Andrei Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Kovalev
HigginsKoivu - Ryder
LatendresseLapierreKostopoulos
BéginSmolinskiDandenault

Markov – Komisarek
Hamrlik – Gorges
StreitBouillon

Huet
Price

Plus: Sergei Kostitsyn (52 GP but I don't remember his linemates!), Halak, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Brisebois, Chipchura, D'Agostini...

Talk about stability eh?

What I find the most disheartening is the fact that a lot of those players were young and effective: Latendresse, Grabovski, Lapierre, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Eller
Emelin
Leblanc
Geoffrion
White
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Gallagher
Bournival
Kristo

There is a doom and gloom cloud surrounding the 2011-12 edition but I agree with you:

(1) Reading your list of young players is reassuring (Pribyl is also an intriguing prospect)

(2) Healthy (Markov, Gionta and Moen) I think our Habs are one tough and experienced D away from being a top tier team; someone who can eat a lot of even strength minutes. Soon to be UFA Jackman fits the description imo.

Oh... and Randy "hail to goons and dump and chase" has to go away!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
in other words: "im gonna go ahead and the smallest line ever in fantasy land to make my point stronger."

flawless victory
First of all, you never know with these coaches. You have a point though. Maybe Gallagher would make Gionta tradeable, and then Cunneyworth can upgrade the line by putting in Darche: Gallagher-Desharnais-Darche.

Second, hyperbole is a valid rhetorical tactic to make the point. Having one small guy in the top-6 is already causing reverbations throughout the lineup... he has to be sheltered, given more offensive zone faceoffs, which means Plekanec is now being paid 5 million dollars a year to be a shutdown center when in fact he has better offensive skills. Having 2 or 3 of these guys in the lineup would make it nearly impossible to roll the bottom 9.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:

If we're lucky, only one of Tinordi/Beaulieu becomes a top-4 dman. By that time Gorges will be on the wrong side of 30 and Markov on the wrong side of 35. Most defensemen drafted in the 1st round don't pan out. It's a dice roll not a sure thing, and the dice is weighted towards "bust". The same Trevor Timmins who drafted Ryan McDonagh drafted David Fischer the year before.

It's absolutely hilarious that you can predict the future for prospects. You should be a scout. Go cheer for toronto debbie downer

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
ThaDevilGirl

People have been complaining about Andrei Kostitsyn for a long time now, about how he shows up 1 in every 10 game, how he doesn't make an impact, etc. Now that he is 26 or 27, soon-to-be UFA in a bad season, some fans think the Habs just traded their youth for nothing? Mkay.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote