HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Hodgson

Old
02-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
I say no to Kadri as well. Won't go as far as saying hes a bust or anything, but he hasn't lived up to his expectations so far.
Expectations being what exactly? like being the highest scorer for his age in the AHL? those kind of expectations? Listen, we don't currently have a spot for him in our top 6 thus, he's in the AHL developing just fine. I don't know what it is with people around here and crapping all over the Leafs, especially Canucks fans, but it's pathetic. A 21 year old playing in the AHL? that's a shock! I've never heard of that.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Campoli2Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Expectations being what exactly? like being the highest scorer for his age in the AHL? those kind of expectations? Listen, we don't currently have a spot for him in our top 6 thus, he's in the AHL developing just fine. I don't know what it is with people around here and crapping all over the Leafs, especially Canucks fans, but it's pathetic. A 21 year old playing in the AHL? that's a shock! I've never heard of that.
I imagine that, fair or not, many Leafs fans expected he would be on the roster by now. No one's crapping on the Leafs, we just wouldn't have traded Hodgson for a similar player like Kadri who would make far less of an impact than either Cody or Kassian. Untwist your panties already

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Lawzy

Bitter Canucks fan here, obligatory Kassian for Hodgson swap..

Lawzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:42 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by khennig16 View Post
Lol Kadris a bust but Kassians a beast... okay then..
I like both. The difference is that Kassian has something to offer in the bottom 6 that Kadri does not. I think both will be top 6 players eventually but they both have some work to do.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:43 AM
mstad101

I'd have only ever traded Hodgson for an established NHL power forward like Bobby Ryan.
Obviously add some more, but I never have thought Cody would have been dealt for a prospect and depth Dman.

Not happy with this deal, since Cody was becoming my fav Canuck. So I'm a bit biased, though with Pahlsson in, and possiblity of Raymond moving down a line, Kassian may get a shot at that 2nd line RW spot.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campoli2Burrows View Post
I imagine that, fair or not, many Leafs fans expected he would be on the roster by now. No one's crapping on the Leafs, we just wouldn't have traded Hodgson for a similar player like Kadri who would make far less of an impact than either Cody or Kassian. Untwist your panties already
My panties were never in a twist to begin with. Over and over again I continue reading the same ignorant comments. I come in here to comment on a deal that has nothing to do with my team yet, once again, it somehow turns into a Leafs bashing thread. The irony is Hodgson and Kadri have taken similar paths and share a similar type of story and not long IIRC Canucks fans were down on the guy or am I wrong?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:20 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
What the.. No, it absolutely does not. It shows that a random person on the internet would have given that up. This is a forum.

Seriously people?
honestly sometimes you have to wonder what the **** are people thinking before they say ****

Agent007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:37 AM
palindrom

Just a funny question...

If Vancouver had the opportunity to get Coho back for Schneider now, would you do it?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Just a funny question...

If Vancouver had the opportunity to get Coho back for Schneider now, would you do it?
Personally, in a millisecond. I am a firm believer that Hodgson was a critical piece in ensuring this current Vancouver team remained a powerhouse beyond the Sedins' peak.

However I don't think the Sabres need a Schneider.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
Personally, in a millisecond. I am a firm believer that Hodgson was a critical piece in ensuring this current Vancouver team remained a powerhouse beyond the Sedins' peak.

However I don't think the Sabres need a Schneider.
I take it you disagree with the Hodgson trade today?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

MPS+2nd?

Omark + Petry or Tuebert?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Just a funny question...

50/50...Schneider had moved past Hodgson on our prospect list for a couple of years now.

I think Schneider fills a role on our team that we wouldn't be able to fill another way while Hodgson's role was more important it will be fillled by Pahlsson...so it really depends on how Pahlsson does.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

What I don't get is this:

When Lucic "accidently" bumped Ryan Miller, the hue and cry came on that the Sabres had no grit, no push-back in their game

then they turn around and trade the two guys who are arguably the two toughest guys on the team....head scratcher for sure

Cody Hodgson is a guy who has had a running battle with Van management, his days were numbered there. I like Kassian but I'm not sure he'll be able to skate against the leagues elite teams once you get into the playoff grind

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Yeah, but will they score? The lack of depth scoring killed us last year in the playoffs.
This is exactly what I'm worried about...

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
haha, Kadri isnt even an attractive asset
I agree..and i'm a Leaf fan. Being a Leaf fan i would however offer any prospect not named Gardiner and our 2012 1st. Hodgson would fit in to the biggest hole on the Leafs being a center.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:21 AM
david999

The Canucks, imo made a mistake trading Cody now for a very unproven player in Kassian. They are counting on him to be a physical force in the playoffs, unless they match up against the Red Wings, where scoring depth is what really counts. If AV thinks he can't trust Cody as a third line center wait until Kassian starts taking bad penalties trying to keep up with the elite teams in a 7 game series.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
The Canucks, imo made a mistake trading Cody now for a very unproven player in Kassian. They are counting on him to be a physical force in the playoffs, unless they match up against the Red Wings, where scoring depth is what really counts. If AV thinks he can't trust Cody as a third line center wait until Kassian starts taking bad penalties trying to keep up with the elite teams in a 7 game series.
I've heard that a lot, that the trade helps the Canucks against the Bruins but not the Red Wings...but I think one of the nails in Hodgson's coffin with AV is that he got killed in his matchup against Ablekader (sp?) last week against the Red Wings. The 3rd line for Detroit changed the momentum every time they were on the ice against our 3rd line. That's why the team got Pahlsson (sp?).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I've heard that a lot, that the trade helps the Canucks against the Bruins but not the Red Wings...but I think one of the nails in Hodgson's coffin with AV is that he got killed in his matchup against Ablekader (sp?) last week against the Red Wings. The 3rd line for Detroit changed the momentum every time they were on the ice against our 3rd line. That's why the team got Pahlsson (sp?).
Yep, some people around here are acting as if Hodgson is a complete player who just happens to be stuck behind two other centers - not really the case. His play on the defensive side of the puck leaves something to be desired, and like the poster questioning whether Kassian can keep up with the play in the playoffs, many had the same questions of Hodgson going into this postseason.

Abdelkader and company absolutely chewed up the Hodgson line last week, and I'd bet that Gillis saw the writing on the wall for April. I'm not really arguing that the Sabres didn't win the trade long term, but the Canucks are a better team today than they were yesterday heading into the playoffs.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
BlueStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree..and i'm a Leaf fan. Being a Leaf fan i would however offer any prospect not named Gardiner and our 2012 1st. Hodgson would fit in to the biggest hole on the Leafs being a center.
I would like to think we had an asset or two that could have gotten Cody but I don't think we had any to offer. Schenn and a first may have been enough but it still leaves them without the power forward they got. I believe Hodgson will be a 75 pt first line center with Buffalo. Burke overvalues our prospects as do the Leafs fans, especially on here.

BlueStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
Yep, some people around here are acting as if Hodgson is a complete player who just happens to be stuck behind two other centers - not really the case. His play on the defensive side of the puck leaves something to be desired, and like the poster questioning whether Kassian can keep up with the play in the playoffs, many had the same questions of Hodgson going into this postseason.

Abdelkader and company absolutely chewed up the Hodgson line last week, and I'd bet that Gillis saw the writing on the wall for April. I'm not really arguing that the Sabres didn't win the trade long term, but the Canucks are a better team today than they were yesterday heading into the playoffs.
I think what people are questioning is why Gillis traded Hodgson for Kassian. Why not just move Hodgson to the wing with Kesler and have Pahlsson play the 3rd line center still. I think Kassian will be good for you guys, but I don't think he is the enforcer/banger that Lucic is. He will be a big body that can score goals and dish out pucks, but I don't see the aggressiveness that Lucic displays. Lucic goes out every game looking for trouble, Kassian doesn't. I see more of a better Dustin Penner than a Milan Lucic. Even if you guys meet the Bruins again, stick to your identity, that is a team that outplays it's opposition by playing a strong puck possession game and outscoring your opposition. You don't need to win cups like the Bruins, look at Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
When Lucic "accidently" bumped Ryan Miller, the hue and cry came on that the Sabres had no grit, no push-back in their game

then they turn around and trade the two guys who are arguably the two toughest guys on the team....head scratcher for sure
One of those two toughest guys was on the ice for the Lucic incident and is often cited as being good friends with Miller. He did absolutely nothing.

You will get a great faceoff guy in Gaustad. You will not get a physical and imposing force. Not at all.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
My panties were never in a twist to begin with. Over and over again I continue reading the same ignorant comments. I come in here to comment on a deal that has nothing to do with my team yet, once again, it somehow turns into a Leafs bashing thread. The irony is Hodgson and Kadri have taken similar paths and share a similar type of story and not long IIRC Canucks fans were down on the guy or am I wrong?
I would just take it with a grain of salt. We are the heart of hockey and it creates jealousy (sub-consciously). Aswell the people trolling are looking for your reaction. Keep in mind these people do not follow the leafs nor any other team for that matter. Whatever touches their team and nothing else compares (hence the over kill of whining and sobbing Canucks fans yesterday). Half the fan base doesn't even realize they will end up winning the deal. Hodgson is a good player when playing against third pAiring D on a team that can match up their players better then any other team. Top line c on buffalo? Cmon are you kidding me? He's going to get gobbled up. Kassian will end up being their playoff hero. ONLY if Vancouver embraces him rather then expect him to fill hodgsons shoes.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I thought Kassian + Myers for Hodgson + Sulzer would have been fair. I'm shocked they only got Gragnani instead.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
medhatcanuck

Really sad to see Hodgy go, he will be a captain sometime in the future, whether it is with Buffalo or not.

Hodgson and Ennis will be an absolutely insane duo. I don't know if Buff will play them together right away, but sooner or later they will play together. Ennis is good little shifty *******, and Hodgson is a decent playmaker and goalscorer. I think Hodgson will project to be the playmaking 25g-50a #1/2 center and Ennis your 35-35 type guy. Hodgson is good right now in a 2nd PP unit, and in 2-3 years, he will be your goto, #1 PP unit guy.

Can't wait to see him thrive in Buffalo. For buffalo fans, don't expect too much this year. This is his first year of actually playing to potential. If he gets 40-50 pts, be happy about it.
Next year, expect him to hit 50-60. Year after that 60-70. And I think he will always be a 60-75pt. player.

I also hope Buffalo can help develop his PK and defensive role. He thrives at being the guy. If he can find a niche as a #1PK, #1PP, key situations guy, you are gonna see a real intangible, stand-up, captain, sort of player.

Can't really think of a comparable. Maybe Pleks?
Bottom Projection: #3 Manny Malholtra type center
Projection:#2 60-75pt, Plekanec type center
Top Projection: #1C Joe Thornton type center

It's like getting a text message from a hot girlfriend that it's over. hurts.

medhatcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Kadri has played 49 games and he's 21 years old... yet he's already worthless?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote