HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

sad day for me as a long time habs fan

Old
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Here is some cold water for what's making you hard.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1121493
Having 3 prospects in the top 50 is good, not bad.

We also have a chance to snatch a top 10 to add to that this draft.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Or you can look at it like this

1st line Center with size might be available in the top 5 of this draft
Shutdown dman (Tinordi)
3rd line shutdown center can be had threw UFA's or prospects... Thats not a big hole to fill

White has handled himself pretty well in fights i don't know which fights you have been watching
By the time Tinordi is an effective NHL dman (e.g. 2015-2015 season), we probably won't have Emelin-Subban-Gorges-Markov.

Top 5 picks don't always turn out. It's 50/50, Check the record.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
in other words: "im gonna go ahead and the smallest line ever in fantasy land to make my point stronger."

flawless victory
lol

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
guest1467

Quote:
White has handled himself pretty well in fights i don't know which fights you have been watching
He is also much more skilled than Stewart could ever dream of being, the whole comment was pretty retarded.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Lemons

Just give me Grigorenko or Yakupov and i am happy.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Eller
Emelin
Leblanc
Geoffrion
White
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Gallagher
Bournival
Kristo

All young players already in the NHL or close to make it (1-2 years). Add to that a lottery pick, strong leaders (Gorges, Cole, Gionta...) and some key depth players, and you definitely have something to build around.
Pk, Pac,Emelin and maybe Eller are long term the other 8 may or may not turn into good NHL'ers. Even if 5 of the 8 made it in the NHL, its still a long way from having
a team to compete.
Beaulieu and Tinordi are 3 or 4 yrs away, we all know how long it takes for blueliners
to really come into their own. We have Diaz and Emelin that will be even better nx season but only because these guys are not raw rookies anyway

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You guys are severely overrating our prospect pool.

Eller only becomes Plekanec in the best case scenario. Leblanc, probably less. It's a sideways move at best, because by that time Plekanec won't be as good, or he'll be traded for a 2nd round draft pick.

If we're lucky, only one of Tinordi/Beaulieu becomes a top-4 dman. By that time Gorges will be on the wrong side of 30 and Markov on the wrong side of 35. Most defensemen drafted in the 1st round don't pan out. It's a dice roll not a sure thing, and the dice is weighted towards "bust". The same Trevor Timmins who drafted Ryan McDonagh drafted David Fischer the year before.

Gallagher? I'm not looking forward to Gallagher-Desharnais-Gionta as our 2nd line.

Bournival? Kristo? Geoffrion? lol.

Ryan White? He's Gregory Stewart without the fighting ability.

What we're missing is a legit 1st line center with size, a shutdown dman who is good enough for the 1st pairing, a 3rd line shutdown center, a good coach, and a good GM. However, that's what every bad team in the NHL is missing.
Eller becoming Pleks?...You look at that as a bad thing?...WOW

Kristo with 36 pts in 33 games yeah he's going to be horrible. And yeah an already filled out bournival at 187 lbs is horrible. He's ripping up the Q. Geoffrion will be a solid 3/4th liner as he is all hustle and all energy which is exactly what this team needs. Give me a break.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
scottyG

Quote:
By the time Tinordi is an effective NHL dman (e.g. 2015-2015 season), we probably won't have Emelin-Subban-Gorges-Markov.

Top 5 picks don't always turn out. It's 50/50, Check the record.
In 2-3 years Emelin will be 27-28, Subban will be 24-25, Gorges 30 and Markov will be on the last year of his contract (Don't know how good he will be)

If all goes well Bealieu and Subban should replace Markov by then

And top 3 picks are pretty much a guaranteed at worst top6/top 4 dman. If were picking top 3 chances are we got a very good player

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

Please don't spin this as a positive. Not one prospect in the top 30 and 3 that fit late into the top 50 is not impressive.

Especially when the big team is 28th in the league, and the AHL squad is in the toilet too.

Nothing positive in that list, just more mediocrity.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
LeMAD

Kostitsyn has no uses on a team:

Bad on the PP
Doesn't play on the PK
And even while facing sub-par opposition, he's too weak defensively to be a valuable player 5 on 5.

We haven't lost anything.

Edit: And anyone who has ever played hockey knows that players like Kostitsyn and Pouliot, who generally float around, something getting on hot streaks when they fell good, aren't the kind of players you want as teammates.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
First of all, you never know with these coaches. You have a point though. Maybe Gallagher would make Gionta tradeable, and then Cunneyworth can upgrade the line by putting in Darche: Gallagher-Desharnais-Darche.

Second, hyperbole is a valid rhetorical tactic to make the point. Having one small guy in the top-6 is already causing reverbations throughout the lineup... he has to be sheltered, given more offensive zone faceoffs, which means Plekanec is now being paid 5 million dollars a year to be a shutdown center when in fact he has better offensive skills. Having 2 or 3 of these guys in the lineup would make it nearly impossible to roll the bottom 9.
exactly. gionta's contract is due in two years, which is when gallagher would be going up. im ok with smaller skilled players, but you need to surround them with size. no more of this gionta - gomez - cammy experiment...

if gallagher and desharnais are ever in the lineup, i would hope the coach isn't dumb enough to play them together...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Kostitsyn has no uses on a team:

Bad on the PP
Doesn't play on the PK
And even while facing sub-par opposition, he's too weak defensively to be a valuable player 5 on 5.

We haven't lost anything.
he was clearly disturbing the PP from the bench, talking smack i bet....

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Please don't spin this as a positive. Not one prospect in the top 30 and 3 that fit late into the top 50 is not impressive.

Especially when the big team is 28th in the league, and the AHL squad is in the toilet too.

Nothing positive in that list, just more mediocrity.
Please. Where were Subban and Pacioretty ranked in these "expert" rankings? I doubt either of them cracked the top 25, or at best the top 20. Did Price even hit the top 20?

There are thirty teams in the NHL. There are 50 prospects on the list. Having 3 on the list is almost double the average.

And like I said, you will get your precious top 10 prospect this year.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
he was clearly disturbing the PP from the bench, talking smack i bet....
There is a reason why he was sitting on the bench...he has zero hockey IQ and looked lost each time they tried him on the PP.

Quite surprising we got a 2nd round pick for that guy.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Et le But

So does that make today the darkest day in Habs history?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

i get what your doing... But its gonna be a top 5 man ! Its gotta be!!!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Please. Where were Subban and Pacioretty ranked in these "expert" rankings? I doubt either of them cracked the top 25, or at best the top 20. Did Price even hit the top 20?

There are thirty teams in the NHL. There are 50 prospects on the list. Having 3 on the list is almost double the average.

And like I said, you will get your precious top 10 prospect this year.
The difference is that we're 15th in the East.

If you're dead last in your conference, and your prospect pool doesn't have a big name coming up the pipeline, that's not exactly a comforting thought is it?

Oh, we'll get one alright. But that doesn't do much for next year's team, does it?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
So does that make today the darkest day in Habs history?
Predators history.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post

If you're dead last in your conference, and your prospect pool doesn't have a big name coming up the pipeline, that's not exactly a comforting thought is it?

Oh, we'll get one alright. But that doesn't do much for next year's team, does it?
This is the first year were last... We've made the playoffs in all previous years meaning we never drafted under #14.

This year well get a top 3 pick who by next year will be in that lists "top 10"

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post

Like Scotty astutely pointed out, this is the first year we have been in last in almost a decade. It is not the end of the world, things don't happen over night.

Just look at Philly for reference.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
There is a reason why he was sitting on the bench...he has zero hockey IQ and looked lost each time they tried him on the PP.

Quite surprising we got a 2nd round pick for that guy.
Yet, I'm sure he has the highest goal per PP ice-time rate after Cole.

AK has a lethal shot but they rather make him a Thomas Holmstrom.

Really, you are surprised? That we got a 2nd for a legit 20 goals scorer? Gaustad got a 1st and he's a legit 12 goals scorer. He's scoreless in 38 playoffs games and is nothing more than a 3rd line?

If AK wasn't on the Habs plan in the future, they should have traded him when he was on pace for 30 goals, not put him with Gomez and make sure he has no value.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
This is the first year were last... We've made the playoffs in all previous years meaning we never drafted under #14.

This year well get a top 3 pick who by next year will be in that lists "top 10"
Yes, that's what I said. The point is, we're not getting a big time prospect injected in the lineup next year unless it's an 18-year old.

Next year isn't looking like the year we get back on the saddle.

Quote:
Like Scotty astutely pointed out, this is the first year we have been in last in almost a decade. It is not the end of the world, things don't happen over night.

Just look at Philly for reference.
I'm so tired of the Philly reference.

What they did was trade their biggest star for futures, which they partially used to acquire upcoming FAs, signed a key FA, fleeced Atlanta/TB and acquired a starting goalie.

The FA class blows once Parise and Suter are gone, and our organization has shown no willingness to make a roster shakeup (1 minor trade on deadline day when 15th). There is 0 chance we make a similar turnaround, at least, in the same fashion. We'd need MASSIVE internal growth.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Protest the Hero

Time for the melodramatic posts to swallow these boards.

Now that the trade deadline is over, and the season is over, this place is going to be nothing but misery.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
5 years ago...

In red: no longer with us

2007-2008 - Regular Season - Montréal Canadiens – 104 points

Andrei Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Kovalev
HigginsKoivu - Ryder
LatendresseLapierreKostopoulos
BéginSmolinskiDandenault

Markov – Komisarek
Hamrlik – Gorges
StreitBouillon

Huet
Price

Plus: Sergei Kostitsyn (52 GP but I don't remember his linemates!), Halak, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Brisebois, Chipchura, D'Agostini...

Talk about stability eh?

What I find the most disheartening is the fact that a lot of those players were young and effective: Latendresse, Grabovski, Lapierre, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn...
So a top line winger and starting goaltender are out of the league from that team. A top pairing d-man is a healthy scratch on a bubble playoff team. I understand stability, but keeping a core from that team does not put the Habs further ahead than they are now. There are no top line players in the league that played on that team, Pleks is probably the best. Streit could be a top-4 defenseman, but he never played D in the NHL until he left Montreal (should be listed as 4th line forward here anyways).

There is little that should be left from a team that was filled with a bunch of tweeners.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I've been a long time habs fan but today is a sad day for me after seeing Hal Gills interview about AK. 5 years ago we had a top rated farm team and prospect pool and today we are back to the Houle Tremblay era and looks to me like a long way to get back to where we were. I have little or no faith in the current management team and the with the press and their epectations of habs players I can't see how it will ever get any better.
I'm with on that, 42 yrs a habs fan, seen the best of habs teams, i'll go as far as to say, iv'e seen the best hockey team ever ,in the history of the sport.
No team will ever come close to the habs of the 70's, back then we had 50 goal scorers sitting outgames in the playoffs because there was no room in the lineup.

Scotty knew what he was doing, always balanced lines, guys doing their jobs. He always got the most of every player. He moved players in and out of the lineup based on who they were playing. Didn't always play the best player, more like, played the man for the job.

They was a saying back in the 70's , the russians are like a well oiled machine, i
always thought that it applied to the montreal canadians moreso than the russians.

The habs show'em all, back then

I have to credit, Boston, NYI and the Oilers, teams that came close to being like the
habs.
You will never see a team like they had , again in this sport

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote