HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The defense for next year.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
  #76
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Maybe it is a good move to re-sign Carle to a reasonable contract? We can always move a d-men if Suter is available. Or if Timonen retires.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
  #77
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The situation might not be a rosy as it appears. The league overall in increasing in revenue, but I've heard a number of shows on FAN590 in which McCown gets experts on to go through the lists of the 10+ teams that are losing big bucks, many of whom are for sale, in whole or in part, with no buyers on the horizon.

The owners are losing about $1M each on Phoenix, as the league is covering its debts.

Several franchises in shaky markets are suffering, and other solid markets won't be raking in any playoff revenue this year: Montreal, Edmonton, maybe Toronto, maybe Calgary.

Other markets like Long Island, Dallas, Tampa, Carolina, Columbus that have had good attendance in the past are suffering because the teams aren't any good.

They need to get Phoenix moved to Quebec City fast, then go from there to fix the rest of the problems.
Seattle and Quebec City both need teams ASAP.

I don't want to be mean or alienate fans in Phoenix or other cities with movement potential, but this is something that needs to happen to strengthen the league as a whole.

I don't buy the league being in that major a financial crisis though. NHL revenue is only getting more and more powerful. The league is expanding, and this new TV deal gives the league a lot of headway.



That said, I really don't want to see the CBA altered in any significant way.

It's constructed in a very practical and extremely effective despite being overly complex at times.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
  #78
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seattle and Quebec City both need teams ASAP.

I don't want to be mean or alienate fans in Phoenix or other cities with movement potential, but this is something that needs to happen to strengthen the league as a whole.

I don't buy the league being in that major a financial crisis though. NHL revenue is only getting more and more powerful. The league is expanding, and this new TV deal gives the league a lot of headway.



That said, I really don't want to see the CBA altered in any significant way.

It's constructed in a very practical and extremely effective despite being overly complex at times.
Would love to see Quebec again...Seattle meh...but it might succeed as a niche sport there since Seattle is a niche type of culture...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
  #79
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Maybe it is a good move to re-sign Carle to a reasonable contract? We can always move a d-men if Suter is available. Or if Timonen retires.

no freaking way, do you watch him play? he's a turnover machine, if he's gone, he's gone, besides i would take one of the phantom players over him, plus i want mez and coburn gone too, they are both soft, keep grossman and kubrina over them.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
  #80
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I'd love it if we won the cup, Timonen retired, and then we gave his money to Suter. Alas.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
  #81
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 14,973
vCash: 500
there is NO situation were it is a good idea to keep Carle..

unless we wish to keep padding the opposing teams scoring chances. then by all means keep Carle..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
  #82
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
You have to imagine Carle will get an offer from some team with an AAV around $5 million. I have no desire to bring him back for that kind of money. At this point, I re-sign whichever of Grossman or Kubina impresses the most for the remainder of the season and playoffs. I also think that Gustafsson should have a permanent spot in the top six next season.

Outside of Suter, there are really no defensemen on the FA market who appeal to me (Lidstrom doesn't count, of course). Jason Garrison would obviously be a nice addition, but he's supposedly looking for something in the $4.5M AAV, at least according to the main HF forum. Dennis Wideman's been one of the only bright spots for the Caps, but he, like Carle, will probably demand something in the $5M AAV range. The only name that catches my eye is Carlo Colaiacovo, though even then my interest in him is only lukewarm. He is a third pairing guy who's stayed relatively healthy the past three seasons with the Blues after continuous injury troubles earlier in his career; at $3M AAV or less, I might bite.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
  #83
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
You have to imagine Carle will get an offer from some team with an AAV around $5 million. I have no desire to bring him back for that kind of money. At this point, I re-sign whichever of Grossman or Kubina impresses the most for the remainder of the season and playoffs. I also think that Gustafsson should have a permanent spot in the top six next season.

Outside of Suter, there are really no defensemen on the FA market who appeal to me (Lidstrom doesn't count, of course). Jason Garrison would obviously be a nice addition, but he's supposedly looking for something in the $4.5M AAV, at least according to the main HF forum. Dennis Wideman's been one of the only bright spots for the Caps, but he, like Carle, will probably demand something in the $5M AAV range. The only name that catches my eye is Carlo Colaiacovo, though even then my interest in him is only lukewarm. He is a third pairing guy who's stayed relatively healthy the past three seasons with the Blues after continuous injury troubles earlier in his career; at $3M AAV or less, I might bite.
yup. and it's going to be from some desperate team. happens every season.

I'll be laughing at whatever team gives Carle the money he doesnt deserve.

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
  #84
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,008
vCash: 50
I am still willing to bet Holmgren gives Carle a contract on june 30th. Probably an overpayment as well. Not that Holmgren has ever done that before

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
  #85
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,851
vCash: 500
Hartnell(4.200)-Giroux(3.750)-Voracek(3.500)
Simmonds(1.750)-Schenn(3.100)-vanRiemsdyk(4.250)
Read(.900)-Couturier(1.375)-Briere(6.500)
Rinaldo(.540)-Talbot(1.750)-Sestito(.975)

Suter(7.00)-Meszaros(4.00)
Timonen(6.333)-Coburn(4.500)
Gustafsson(.900)/Bourdon(.975)-Grossman(2.75)

Bryzgalov(5.666)
Bobrovsky(1.750)

As much as I love timonen, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever if he were to retire this summer if we're able to land Suter.

Briere is also becoming more and more irrelevant on this team...

Say we're able to get rid of both of them (which is obviously unrealistic) this would be awesome

Hartnell(4.200)-Giroux(3.750)-Parise(6.750)
Simmonds(1.750)-Schenn(3.100)-vanRiemsdyk(4.250)
Read(.900)-Couturier(1.375)-Voracek(3.500)
Rinaldo(.540)-Talbot(1.750)-Sestito(.975)

Suter(7.00)-Carle(4.200)
Meszaros(4.00)-Coburn(4.500)
Gustafsson(.900)/Bourdon(.975)-Grossman(2.75)

Bryzgalov(5.666)
Bobrovsky(1.750)


Last edited by orange is better: 02-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
  #86
JVR21
Sexy Hexy
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Hartnell(4.200)-Giroux(3.750)-Voracek(3.500)
Simmonds(1.750)-Schenn(3.100)-vanRiemsdyk(4.250)
Read(.900)-Couturier(1.375)-Briere(6.500)
Rinaldo(.540)-Talbot(1.750)-Sestito(.975)

Suter(7.00)-Meszaros(4.00)
Timonen(6.333)-Coburn(4.500)
Gustafsson(.900)/Bourdon(.975)-Grossman(2.75)

Bryzgalov(5.666)
Bobrovsky(1.750)

As much as I love timonen, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever if he were to retire this summer if we're able to land Suter.

Briere is also becoming more and more irrelevant on this team...
Why not send Schenn down to the minors for 1 game and save us $1M+ on the cap?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
  #87
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Why not send Schenn down to the minors for 1 game and save us $1M+ on the cap?
Yeah that's a possibility, but I also didn't incorporate the possibility of the bonus cushion as well, which would lower schenn, couturier and bobs cap hits.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
  #88
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 10,037
vCash: 500
I have no desire to re-sign Carle for anything north of $2.5m, which means I won't be re-signing him for my team. I really don't see what he brings to the team as a defenseman.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  #89
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
If Suter is signed I bet Homer will make a move for Carle. That would be my guess.
I'd hate to pay him around 4M.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  #90
Dooley36
Registered User
 
Dooley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Why not send Schenn down to the minors for 1 game and save us $1M+ on the cap?
I know that drops the cap hit, but does schenn get paid less from that too? if so thats messed up haha

Dooley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
  #91
JVR21
Sexy Hexy
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley36 View Post
I know that drops the cap hit, but does schenn get paid less from that too? if so thats messed up haha
Yeah he does. He'd still be getting more than Couturier and more than JVR and Giroux got on their first contracts.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:43 PM
  #92
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Why not send Schenn down to the minors for 1 game and save us $1M+ on the cap?
Can you imagine someone doing that to you? One season is ok I guess.. He had shoulder injury or something plus he had a very weak camp but do it om purpose? Come on now.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:44 PM
  #93
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
If Suter is signed I bet Homer will make a move for Carle. That would be my guess.
I'd hate to pay him around 4M.
That would be my guess.

I also hate the people on twitter who say they don't know if Suter is really an upgrade over Carle. They base all this on stats like corsi and Fenwick. How about you watch the two players and then you will be able to recognize the difference between Carle and Suter... and it's not even close.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
  #94
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Yeah he does. He'd still be getting more than Couturier and more than JVR and Giroux got on their first contracts.
Not really.

If I remember correctly, in order to get the bonus that drops Schenn down to that cap hit, he had to average a certain number of minutes per game through a certain amount of games or something to that effect.

The average minutes per game amounted to something like 25:00.

Even if Schenn played the entire season there was virtually a zero chance of him getting that specific bonus, even if I don't remember what it was.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
  #95
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 14,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
That would be my guess.

I also hate the people on twitter who say they don't know if Suter is really an upgrade over Carle. They base all this on stats like corsi and Fenwick. How about you watch the two players and then you will be able to recognize the difference between Carle and Suter... and it's not even close.
if someone truely beleives that, lets sell them Carle RIGHT NOW !!!


seriously..i'll go warm the car up, and drive him to whateva teams fans think hes similar to Suter..

hahahah

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
  #96
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
The Cap is expected at 68.3 million next year. Let Jagr and Carle walk, assuming Pronger is done for good, you sign Suter. If Pronger comes back next year, we will have to trade Meszaros in season and will still fit in the cap. Imagine Suter-Pronger, Timonen-Coburn, Kubina-Grossman.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Ryan Suter ($7.400m) / Pavel Kubina ($2.800m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Nicklas Grossman ($2.225m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $68,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,484,444; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $815,556
Ummm what? Link?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
  #97
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
That would be my guess.

I also hate the people on twitter who say they don't know if Suter is really an upgrade over Carle. They base all this on stats like corsi and Fenwick. How about you watch the two players and then you will be able to recognize the difference between Carle and Suter... and it's not even close.
I always base my defensive ratings on if I would want to play behind that guy. And usually for goalies, thats a short list. Carle is one of the dangerous looks calm and like he knows what he's doing guys right until he makes a horrendous giveaway. They are hard to play behind because you want to ease your focus for a second after a flurry in your own zone, but then you are rudely shaken out when an awful pass is intercepted and guy is bearing down on you.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
  #98
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seattle and Quebec City both need teams ASAP.
Is Seattle a big hockey area? (Not arguing, I have no knowledge about the Pacific Northwest...)

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
  #99
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 16,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I'd love it if we won the cup, Timonen retired, and then we gave his money to Suter. Alas.
Then he comes back midseason after doing copious amount of steroids to repair his body and we win back to back. Pronger also joins him on his new supplement program.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  #100
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
I just stepped into a thread that had

Suter Weber
Kimo Pronger
Mesz Grossman

"I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore"

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.