HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Trade Deadline | Who Stays? Who Goes?

Old
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1325
It'll be interesting to see what the Blue Jackets do with Howson. Your options are:

a)Fire him and you may screw up this draft (even though they have the 1st overall pick)

or

b)Keep him and they're still screwed cause Howson stinks (check his resume, he isn't very good)

That said, he deserves to be fired.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
...yep, same as Brian Lee. Where is Brian's highlight tape for Tampa?
Did SOMEONE SAY BRIAN LEE HIGHLIGHT REEL?

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Howson let it slip that Nash asked to be traded. Way to give up any leverage you had there
I think Howson is trying to pull a fast one on everyone, I think Nash was asked if he would like to go somewhere else and Nash replied in the affirmative, I think the choice to put him up as trade bait was mutual. Howson is just trying to save face.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Remember being at that game and everyone going absolutely nuts that Lee took two penalties on the same play. That was rough.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:36 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
There's videos of Picard and Campoli scoring nice goals too.
Yup, and Brian Lee doesn't have any.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:39 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Yup, and Brian Lee doesn't have any.
Come on now give credit where it's due. The man had 5 goals in 5 seasons

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Come on now give credit where it's due. The man had 5 goals in 5 seasons
You're right...and how 'bout them highlights, boy was I wrong!

Old
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

What a horrific trade deadline but this off-season is going to be one of the most exciting in recent years, imo.

Nash
Suter
Parise
Ryan
Dubinsky

All gonna get dealt or headed to UFA. This is gonna be one wild off-season.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Jorge Garcia

Quote:
You're right...and how 'bout them highlights, boy was I wrong!
OK coladin and sensjersey, I get it. You hate Brian Lee. The labels on the videos make it sound like he sucks, but if you watch them the contents don't come close to justifying the headlines.
I can't remember ever seeing this Gilroy guy play. I hope he's great. But I'll miss Lee, and so will the team. He's a sound defender, a great, mobile skater and puck retriever, a good outlet passer, and a player who understands his limitations and plays within them. The Sens have a far better record with him in the lineup than without him.
It's not a huge deal, but there's no reason to throw a party.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:55 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
OK coladin and sensjersey, I get it. You hate Brian Lee. The labels on the videos make it sound like he sucks, but if you watch them the contents don't come close to justifying the headlines.
I can't remember ever seeing this Gilroy guy play. I hope he's great. But I'll miss Lee, and so will the team. He's a sound defender, a great, mobile skater and puck retriever, a good outlet passer, and a player who understands his limitations and plays within them. The Sens have a far better record with him in the lineup than without him.
Unfortunately coach McLean doesn't agree with your assessment of Lee, as he has already described him as being average across the board. I tend to agree, there is nothing 'great' about his play. By all mean though, you have a right to your own opinion.

I've been happy with him lately because he has finally appeared to be an NHL player, but we have just traded him for a better NHL player.

The team is not going to miss Lee. There is nothing that Lee brought to the team that anyone else couldn't replace, the only reason Carkner has sat this season is due to his recent surgery; he is a better number 6 defenceman than Lee, and a more valuable number 7, which is why he was kept and Lee was traded. You don't live or die by healthy scratches. My guess is that Lee drew into a few games lately for scouts to have a look.

Nice trade, we give away a guy that we didn't want to have a look at a guy we wanted in the past to see if we want him for the future.

Ice-Tray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

It's very clear the management thinks Gilroy has some sort of potential and it's not hard to see why. He was part of Torts defensive system in NY and another well known trap system in Tampa. In Ottawa he gets a tryout to show his skills in a system that fits his abilities. Lee's playing his best hockey in years like some users claim and he is still a number 6 , healthy scratch at time d-man. If this moves pans out wow, if not move along..that's exactly the type of moves we should be making and we did so (with Bishop and Gilroy) . Never been as happy after a deadline

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

vCash: 50
Just curious.. on the Sportsnet interview with Murray you get a view on the Sens 'operations' room.. I only recognize Randy Lee and Dorion.. anyone know who the others are?

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:52 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
It's very clear the management thinks Gilroy has some sort of potential and it's not hard to see why. He was part of Torts defensive system in NY and another well known trap system in Tampa. In Ottawa he gets a tryout to show his skills in a system that fits his abilities. Lee's playing his best hockey in years like some users claim and he is still a number 6 , healthy scratch at time d-man. If this moves pans out wow, if not move along..that's exactly the type of moves we should be making and we did so (with Bishop and Gilroy) . Never been as happy after a deadline
That was my thinking as well. I think Murray believes Gilroy can and will get better. Lee was a low ceiling, high floor type of guy. Gilroy seems to have a lower floor but higher ceiling.

Hopefully it works out. I also think our coaching staff has done a wonderful job with the D this year, maybe they can coach up Gilroy on the fly and get him up to speed for the playoffs. He's got the talent.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the Blue Jackets do with Howson. Your options are:

a)Fire him and you may screw up this draft (even though they have the 1st overall pick)

or

b)Keep him and they're still screwed cause Howson stinks (check his resume, he isn't very good)

That said, he deserves to be fired.
Columbus needs to do something drastic in a hurry. If they keep floundering along, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nail to pull a Lindros at the draft.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Billy Madison*

Trobby, please change your name to "I LOVE Kuba's Tuba". He was not traded. Thanks.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Rumcajs

I really wonder how much we could have gotten for Kuba seeing that Oduya of all people got a 2nd and a 3rd.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Trobby, please change your name to "I LOVE Kuba's Tuba". He was not traded. Thanks.
haha i remember this...

Yea he needs to change it.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
I know, it was just a joke. I thought the crazy headlines made them funnier, like the Abdelkader "hit".
Although honestly, there is almost no Lee "highlight" videos. The guy was the ultimate "no downside/no upside" player.

Quote:
I thin it's funny that a lot of people here think that was because of what Lee brought to the table, as opposed to just how bad Carkner has been this year, and how bad a pairing Phillips-Carkner was as their games did not compliment eachother at all whatsoever.

Carkner was costing us games this year, whereas Lee was not. Lee is just not special in any way whatsoever, though. I'm not saying that Gilroy is going to come in here and blow us all away, but look at it like this: Paul Maclean helped make Brian Lee into a TRADEABLE COMMODITY. Think of what he might do with Matt Gilroy?

Lee had no future here, and I'll give Gilroy a chance before throwing him under the bus (aka "Brian Lee's Office").

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
coladin

Quote:
He had never played better than the last month or so and Murray actually got a player in return for him. I am very happy with the deal and don't understand the love for a guy who has played 10 good games. In 5 years. To each their own, I guess, and hopefully he continues to play as he has a great chance in TB to make a name for himself with that thin defence.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Obviously youtube highlights > actual full game.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

Dreger reported that the leafs were offered a first round pick for macarthur, schenn and someone else i can't remember who they said. How do you not trade Macarthur for a 1st? Burke is nuts. He was offered 3 first round picks and said no?

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Dreger reported that the leafs were offered a first round pick for macarthur, schenn and someone else i can't remember who they said. How do you not trade Macarthur for a 1st? Burke is nuts. He was offered 3 first round picks and said no?
Plus he did nothing at all to attempt to make the playoffs. I found it funny but maybe he thinks his prospects cupboard is good enough that if they don't make it next year they might make it the year after that. But hasn't that b een their motto for years now?

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
derriko

duh.....Burke has a plan. They are just in the 5th year of it. Be patient, I'm sure they will make it to 8th in a couple of years, I mean they have that kid named Kadri coming up haha

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Sather ultimately...reject[ed] Howson’s laughable demand the package include Dubinsky — plus either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto — plus either Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin — plus 2009 first-rounder Chris Kreider, the Boston College winger who conceivably could join the Rangers when his college season ends — plus a 2012 first-round selection
Howson is absolutely crazy.

That is basically Foligno, Cowen, Silfverberg, Zibanejad and a 1st for a 60-70pt player.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Howson is absolutely crazy.

That is basically Foligno, Cowen, Silfverberg, Zibanejad and a 1st for a 60-70pt player.
Wow, no wonder he didn't get traded

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote