3: Neutral/undecided 8 8.70%
2: Somewhat negative 3 3.26%
1: Lining up on the firing squad 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Which is very possible because you'd think Bishop would be worth a tiny bit more...on the trade market at least.

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well what the hell else are we gonna do if we re-sign Harding? Make Hackett spend another year in the AHL? What the hell good is that gonna do the kid? It's time to bring him up as the backup and let Kuemper or someone take over the starting job down there so they can develop into Hackett's eventual backup.

Whats the rush? Can the kid play...your damn right. But he's 21 years old...most goalies don't sniff the NHL until they are 25-28. Id rather have Hackett play 50 games in the AHL for the next year even 2 years than sit behind Backstrom and play 20 in the NHL.

Like a lot of our prospects theres no rush with Hackett. Which is fine right now. Don't ruin him early let him develop into the big time goalie he certainly could be in the future.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
It is when a) it's a deep draft and b) you're drafting better than your trading.

Kobasew + 2nd
Leddy and Johnsson for Barker
Staubitz for a 5th
Powe for a 3rd (decent at least)
I think you forgot to add

Pouliot for Latendress(Phenomenal)
Havat for Heatley(STEAL)
Burns for Coyle, Phillips, Setoguchi(trade that in 3 years will be looked at as a fleecing)

Fletchers track record with trades isn't all that bad IMO..atleast he has the courage to make hockey trades..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

As a Bruins fan, I think you guys will like Kampfer. He's a great skating defensemen, a bit undersized, but has a solid slap shot. I was hoping he'd get more ice time in Boston and I'm pretty bummed to see him go but at least he's gone to another solid organization. I hope he works out for you guys.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

More Friedman:

Quote:
11. Another real good "hockey deal" was the Tom Gilbert/Nick Schultz trade. While both filled a need for their new teams, I got the sense the Minnesota Wild were sending a message. By dealing their most experienced body (743 games), the organization was warning its players that getting comfortable with losing is unacceptable.
I liked that message.

Quote:
13. Toronto and Philadelphia sniffed around Wild goaltender Josh Harding. Don't think either team got overly serious and one GM thought Harding was a poor match for the run-and-gun Maple Leafs. "He needs structure to be successful," the GM said.
That's odd, I always though Harding did well under Richards.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Outlandish

I'm fine with all the moves made here; at first I wanted Harding traded but now I'm thinking that Fletcher has shown the ability to get more for a player than I would have thought. In order to do that I figure he has to stand firm on occasion to show that he isn't going to cave and maybe that's what happened with Hards.

Maybe teams were offering a 3rd instead of a 2nd, or a marginal player instead of a decent prospect and he decided for long-term strategy it was better to just keep him so teams will know he won't cave next time around and the cost to stand firm maybe wasn't all that high to begin with.

Outlandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Heard Russo on KFAN mention that Harding loves it here, is building a house, wants to stay, and might consider a pay cut.

Wonder if they don't aim for a Hackett/Harding combo platter in two years?

Old
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Dr Jan Itor

3 years x $1.5m per.

Backstrom/Harding in 2012-13, Hackett starts in Houston.
Harding/Hackett in 2013-15, Kuemper starts in Houston.

I could be down with that.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:45 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Heard Russo on KFAN mention that Harding loves it here, is building a house, wants to stay, and might consider a pay cut.

I would love to sign Harding to a 'friendly' contract for a few years to have him take over after Backs with Hackett backing up, or a straight up close to 50/50 tandem.
Hards seems like a great guy, and while Hackett has looked great in here, and has put great numbers up in the AHL, he's still young and could have some struggles in a full NHL season, and I don't want to just hand the reins over to him in 2 years.
That being said I am excited to have Hackett be our starter in the future.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah if he's cool with that role, a 2/3 year deal wouldn't be bad. Move Backs at the deadline next year or else keep him as a "rental" for a playoff run.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

I'd aim for Backstrom (maybe add a guy like Lats or Bouchard or a Dman) for a forward or Dman who would fill a hole this summer.

I don't think Backstrom will bring back a 1st liner. But Backstrom + Lats might bring back a more consistent 2nd liner for example.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

You guys know me and my pattern matching schtick...

I think Bax is moved at the draft...

There are just little its and bits that make me lean towards that pattern matching prognostication.

One GM said; The guy we want in goal won't be available until the summer.
Another GM said; We looked at the market and the guy we want wasn't available yet. At the draft, maybe...

There are other little bits that fit.

And now with Fletcher saying Harding could be "part of the future"?

I really starting to think that Bax is moved.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

If Backstrom is moved, what is a realistic return?

Old
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Really depends upon who the buyers are. I can't imagine it's a very sizable market. I'm having a hard time really picking any teams that would be interested. It has to be a playoff team with some expendable assets, no money issues, and significant cap space. All that while being a team that needs a goalie. It could also be a team looking to trade a big contract. Toronto could do a Lombardi/Connolly + Franson's RFA rights or a pick for Backstrom type deal maybe?

Anyone have any other teams that might be interested?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Not sure. Everytime I think about who would take him, I always end up on TB, but their activity at the deadline doesn't really say "we want to trade for a 34 year old, $6 million, soon to be UFA goalie". They would have some of the pieces, though, holding Detroit's 1st rounder and a slew of 2nds.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think it'd be much more than a 2nd or equivalent prospect.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
I don't think it'd be much more than a 2nd or equivalent prospect.
I'd have to think we'd get some sort of salary dump back.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Really depends upon who the buyers are. I can't imagine it's a very sizable market. I'm having a hard time really picking any teams that would be interested. It has to be a playoff team with some expendable assets, no money issues, and significant cap space. All that while being a team that needs a goalie. It could also be a team looking to trade a big contract. Toronto could do a Lombardi/Connolly + Franson's RFA rights or a pick for Backstrom type deal maybe?

Anyone have any other teams that might be interested?
Oh yeah, Toronto.

Blacker/Holzer + cap dump (not Komisarek) + pick?

Old
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I think you forgot to add

Pouliot for Latendress(Phenomenal)
Havat for Heatley(STEAL)
Burns for Coyle, Phillips, Setoguchi(trade that in 3 years will be looked at as a fleecing)

Fletchers track record with trades isn't all that bad IMO..atleast he has the courage to make hockey trades..
Nah, thoses one don't count. Obviously the guy has no idea what he's doing with trades.

GM position is not one we need to worry about.

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
no plans to trade backs right now
https://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/st...59761134649344

Keywords "right now".

Old
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
nickschultzfan

Goalies are weird. Their value is either zero or incredibly important. Remember when Richards was traded from Tampa for a goalie? Crazy.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Honestly, the GM bits that I've heard came from; Yzerman, Howson, Burke, and McPhee.

I'm paraphrasing a lot because I can't find the audio.

Yzerman was the one that said yesterday something along the lines of; "The guy we want in goal won't be available until the summer." It was a quick recap of his presser post deadline played on the Power Play on XM Home Ice.

Howson said that he has his eyes on a few goalies that he'd have to trade for in order to get, but that Columbus needs to upgrade to an "all star" calibre goalie, and soon.

Burke also stated that while he has full confidence in his current rotation, that a vast improvement could be "made available" this summer. Scratch Toronto from the list of possibles, because one of their vetting out processes is to make sure that any player they bring in can handle the Fish Bowl.

McPhee was the one that was really confusing. He stated that the goalie that he wanted to bring in was "available" but there were issues surrounding the package and no trades.

/shrug

Plus... Russo obviously knows something more than he's saying, he just doesn't print "rumors". Seriously, the dude tries to remain objective.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:06 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Honestly, the GM bits that I've heard came from; Yzerman, Howson, Burke, and McPhee.

I'm paraphrasing a lot because I can't find the audio.

Yzerman was the one that said yesterday something along the lines of; "The guy we want in goal won't be available until the summer." It was a quick recap of his presser post deadline played on the Power Play on XM Home Ice.

Howson said that he has his eyes on a few goalies that he'd have to trade for in order to get, but that Columbus needs to upgrade to an "all star" calibre goalie, and soon.

Burke also stated that while he has full confidence in his current rotation, that a vast improvement could be "made available" this summer. Scratch Toronto from the list of possibles, because one of their vetting out processes is to make sure that any player they bring in can handle the Fish Bowl.

McPhee was the one that was really confusing. He stated that the goalie that he wanted to bring in was "available" but there were issues surrounding the package and no trades.

/shrug

Plus... Russo obviously knows something more than he's saying, he just doesn't print "rumors". Seriously, the dude tries to remain objective.

Tampa - Just don't see it. They tore themselves apart for draft picks. Unless we basically give Backstrom away (and I don't see any reason to do that) I can't see Tampa giving up meaningful assets for a 34 year old goalie with their current team.

Columbus - Doesn't make any sense for them, but no one has ever accused them of being well run.

Toronto - I addressed this above, but think a deal could be worked around one of their overpaid (but still very useful) players and an asset.

Washington - They make a lot of sense actually. Vokoun's likely getting walking papers. Neuvirth has been...less than impressive this year. Holtby is likely their future, but could use another season in Hershey. The Caps will likely be losing Semin, but may be adding Kuznetsov. Assuming they're healthy, they should be a good candidate. They could still have the bottom fall out this season or win the lottery with a mediocre finish and end up picking in the top 5. I'm greatly overvaluing Backstrom when I say this but, Backstrom for Colorado's first (assuming it's 10-14 and the Caps finish worse).

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
I dunno, I kind of wish this area was big enough on the NHL that we had a couple of good rumor mills.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 250
Back to Fletcher's performance, another thing to consider if you hadn't already:

the Wild still have all their blue-chip prospects. Unlike DR, Fletch stayed the course, for now at least.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote