HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Where does Carter Ashton rank in our organization?

Old
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Gardiner is the only real blue chip prospect we have, if we can even consider him a prospect. Kadri remains projected as a top 6 guy, and I'd say it's about a 50/50 shot right now at him ever becoming an Impact NHL player. Don't talk to me about Ryan or Dats because for every story like that there are 100 more with opposite results.

As for the rest, Colborne, Frattin, Ashton,etc, if we're lucky one or two of these guys will pan out and become an NHL player. Most likely solid 3rd line guys. And there is nothing wrong with that. Time will tell.
We can keep talking about what they'll become, but until this organization allows a longer leash for these guys on the big club they won't be anything more than AHL'ers. The way Kadri has been treated like a yo-yo has been concerned. Holzer seems to be NHL ready but he's going to stay with the Marlies for the playoff push. And who knows yet on Colborne and Ashton.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Stats01

"has me concerned"

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Inverted

i dont really get the hard on for cater ashton, he was drafted 3 years ago (same year as kadri) and has yet to play a game in the nhl

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Gardiner is no longer a Prospect.

Wonder how long until we see Ashton? Guess that will depend on how long they stay in the Playoff race.
If he really impresses at camp, maybe we'll see him come October? Or maybe midway through next season.

Posted above me, big boys usually take a longer time to develop and fill out their bodies.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
i dont really get the hard on for cater ashton, he was drafted 3 years ago (same year as kadri) and has yet to play a game in the nhl
He's only 20 years old. Take it easy.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Haha no, you seriously got your homer goggles on.. Your just upset when someone tells your wrong, that's why you spit out a huge paragraph
Only a select few think our prospects are guaranteed superstars, a very select few. You use those few to generalize the whole fanbase, and further use it to be some self righteous "realist" who thinks he's smarter than everybody. Give up the act buddy, no one cares.

Carter Ashton is not a blue chipper, but with his skillset and his potential to fill a need in our top six down the road, he is one of our top prospects.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Ashton, Colborne, Kadri and others will all get there shot to be FULL Time NHL'ers after next season. Why? Lombardi, Armstrong, Macarthur and Connolly are all expired. ( I expect Lupul and perhaps Bozak too sign)

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
smitty10

1. Kadri
2. Colborne
3. Ashton
4. Biggs
5. Percy
6. Holzer
7. Frattin
8. Mckegg
9. Granberg
10. Ross

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
Ashton, Colborne, Kadri and others will all get there shot to be FULL Time NHL'ers after next season. Why? Lombardi, Armstrong, Macarthur and Connolly are all expired. ( I expect Lupul and perhaps Bozak too sign)
I expect Burke will make trades/target UFA's to fill some of those holes. These guys will play and get their shot when they've earned it, they proved with Gardiner this season if you play well enough and keep playing well, they will find a way to get you in the lineup regardless.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by stats01 View Post
we can keep talking about what they'll become, but until this organization allows a longer leash for these guys on the big club they won't be anything more than ahl'ers. The way kadri has been treated like a yo-yo has been concerned. Holzer seems to be nhl ready but he's going to stay with the marlies for the playoff push. And who knows yet on colborne and ashton.
this!

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Ashton is not over rated, but Colborne is. People arguing if he's on his level, he is, not because Ashton is a start prospect, but Colborne is a worse one.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I expect Burke will make trades/target UFA's to fill some of those holes. These guys will play and get their shot when they've earned it, they proved with Gardiner this season if you play well enough and keep playing well, they will find a way to get you in the lineup regardless.
Very true, But I would rather get the young guys in there than have overpayed plugs. It pisses me off everyday.

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

If you are rating Gardiner as a prospect, there is no way he rates below anyone in this organization. He's #1

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

No love for Greg McKegg?

The only prospect I really like is Jake "smooth skater" Gardiner. No top tier talent in the farm club, and Kadri being mishandled is troubling. Ashton is decent, not great... but he's still young. No #1 center concerns me - burke can't be stubborn about this. There isn't someone in the system worthy of that slot, gotta get someone via FA or trade.

Last edited by Giuseppe Sallo: 02-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Nitrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
No love for Greg McKegg?

The only prospect I really like is Jake "smooth skater Gardiner. No top tier talent in the farm club, and Kadri being mishandled is troubling. Ashton is decent, not great... but he's still young. Still, no #1 center concerns me - burke can't be stubborn about this.
Mckegg is probably is ranked third or fourth, but he is in junior so it's hard so say.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

lol @ everyone calling Kadri a bust.

You guys are gonna look awfully stupid when Kadri finally "realizes it" and plays to his potential. Don't come back pleading.

Felstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Far inferior to Joe Thornton.
Ashton isn't being overrated first off.

Second Colborne has always been regarded widely as a poor man's Joe Thornton. The hope is for a large 2nd line center and he could very well become that.

Ashton makes sense as our 3rd/4th best prospect. He has NHL-ready size, good two-way game and showed (early on) that he could put the puck in the net. There's a lot of promise in him being a 2nd or 3rd liner, which beats out Frattin who may make the NHL.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Yeah, it's ridiculous to consider a rookie to be a prospect.
Of course it's not ridiculous. But I think it's a testament to how good he's been that many consider him more of a sure thing than a prospective thing.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
No love for Greg McKegg?

The only prospect I really like is Jake "smooth skater" Gardiner. No top tier talent in the farm club, and Kadri being mishandled is troubling. Ashton is decent, not great... but he's still young. No #1 center concerns me - burke can't be stubborn about this. There isn't someone in the system worthy of that slot, gotta get someone via FA or trade.
McKegg is still in junior as indicated. He's playing well but he's also just in junior. When he gets to the Marlies next year (I think he's eligible then?) Leaf fans can get a better look at him and his potential.

Kadri isn't being mishandled all that much, there's zero room up top and he probably realizes it's better to play with his likely future linemates Colborne and Frattin/D'Amigo then toil in the pressbox only jumping into half the games he could. Also playoffs could help him.

I think a #1 center is unrealistic to look at. The leafs would need to pounce hard on someone in an off-year or go hard at a rebuilding team. Getting what is arguably the highest costing player isn't easy especially if he is entering his prime or already in it. Bozak has done admirably in that slot so let him be. Leafs best chance comes from sucking into a top 5 pick and that's unlikely. Maybe they get a Backes or Weiss or Krejci in the draft but who knows. The best course for Burkie's Leafs is to have depth and not break the bank on a star center.

Would rather have 10 40+ point players then 6 50+ point players.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Ashton is Tampa Bay's #1 ranked prospect in THN's Future Watch 2012. He's 37th overall which would put him number 2 on Toronto's list, after Joe Colborne (18th).

02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Eternal Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
Nazem is a bust, get over it.

and the rest are 3rd line players, 2nd line at best.
Bust at the age of 21?

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
He's a playmaker whose going to put up points on the board for you, help you on your PP, and keep defensemen honest.

Powerforwards are useless without playmakers. One on one physically sure Kadri loses, but in many other areas of the game Kadri outshines all 3 of those guys, by a wide margin, especially offensively.

Not comparing Kadri or the other players to any of these guys but just for logics sake...

What would Hartnell be this year without Giroux on his line?
What about Michalek without Spezza?
Lucic without Krejci?

Its not all muscle in this game, you've got to have skill. And skill wise none of those prospects come even close to Kadri. Sure you can crash the net and bang pucks in, but how can you do that without having a guy to get you the puck in the first place?
We are talking about Kadri....right? The same Kadri that can't crack our line up and stay. The same Kadri that has put up a whopping 6 points in 19 games this year? The same Kadri that put up 12 points in 29 games last year? The same Kadri that was branded a sook by Wilson?

Sorry, not seeing it. He may end up being a career AHLer. Time will tell. I wouldnt bet the farm on him if I was you.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Ashton is Tampa Bay's #1 ranked prospect in THN's Future Watch 2012. He's 37th overall which would put him number 2 on Toronto's list, after Joe Colborne (18th).
Is Kadri still eligible for that stuff?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Budsfan

I'm not sure how people rate Frattin so low, he is currently with the Leafs and so is Gardiner and Kadri has been up and down a few times other call ups were Colbourne, Holzer and Scrivens.

Gardiner
Frattin
Kadri

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Is Kadri still eligible for that stuff?
He was in the NHL at the time the magazine was being worked on, so he was left off the list.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote