HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

BOB vs. BRYZ (Game-By-Game Comparison)

Old
02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
iamcanadian23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Considering all the injuries, starting 5 or 6 rookies each nigh, and our Offense missing on a TON of great scoring chances etc, Our club is still one of the better teams in the NHL.
Agreed. As disappointed as some are, think we have met and exceeded expectations to date with this group. Overall, pleased with the team - goaltenders included.

Bryzgalov is starting to pick it up in the second half, and that couldn't be better timing. Hopefully he can take the ball and run with it, and get on a hot-streak for the playoffs. Bobrovsky has filled in admirably when the former has struggled. Seems like a decent way for a tandem to function, no?

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
Bryzgalov is starting to pick it up in the second half, and that couldn't be better timing. Hopefully he can take the ball and run with it, and get on a hot-streak for the playoffs. Bobrovsky has filled in admirably when the former has struggled. Seems like a decent way for a tandem to function, no?
i was very much in favor of this tandem. to deny that Bryz has gotten markedly better is burying one's head in the sand. So is down-playing Bob's contribution as Bryz struggled in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopyten View Post
Here's a novel idea-

ROOT FOR BOTH OF THEM!!

They both play for the Flyers, they both should be cheered for. It's idiotic to be Team Bryz or Team Bob. Root for both to do well.
COMPLETELY agree. no matter WHO is the "#1" ... I want them to win & expect a great performance ... and judge equally

the crest on the FRONT is alot more important in my view than the NAME on the BACK !

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
flyingsouth

I like both of our guys. Bryz seems to be turning things around, and Bobs has shown massive potential. That said.... I'd go with Bryz right now, he's in the better form out of the pair.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs EDM 2/23

nothing Bryz could do differently on goal #1.
goal #2: when you give Eberle the puck dead center top of the slot, there's a good chance he's gonna score .... that said, if that were me, I'd say 'i got a piece of it .... i gotta make that save' .... i'm sure Bryz blames himself, as I do, but i can't call it an awful goal [would be nice to not have that same turnover every game].

very good game from Bryz ... there were about 3 times he fumbled the puck, but it did not go in. far many more times that he looked solid, confident and challenging.

i'd rate this game 75 out of 100.

i think too many here are 'over praising' Bryz in this game

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old
02-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs CAL 2/25

#1. Giroux: what POSSIBLE good can come from grabbing [even slightly] a guy with both hands in the offensive corner ?? does he realize we can't kill a penalty ?
Jake: get the puck OUT of the ZONE
as soon as that was kept in the zone, you KNEW it was trouble .....
bad luck that it knuckled, and of course Bryz isn't making those saves, but he's 3rd on the blame list

#2. D coverage: when do WE get to skate all alone across the blue line, cruise to the top of the circles and take uncontested slap shots ??
is it news to this team that Bryz has not been challenging and playing with confidence?? how do you let those chances occur 10 minutes into a game?

yes, the puck wasn't shot as hard as it looked like it would be judging by the wind-up, and that change-up is tough, but that said, Bryz has to come out further & start covering up for those type of things !!

#3. 2 turnovers on the same play, buy 3 skaters ... only the Flyers could pull that off .... guy walks in basically uncontested, makes a move & beats him glove side

those are gonna go in most of the time ... Jake scored the same way, except he made a move and beat Kipper low

Penalty shot. he covered the move, stick flat, to the post - everything you want to do as a goalie ... Tanguay got it over the stick. about 3 times in a hundred on that shot, a goalie will catch that in his catching glove ... and be in the running for save of the year. credit the shooter, not blame the goalie

glad to see Bryz be a team player & tap Mez after he missed the open net in ot, especially after Mez's attitude earlier

i'd rate this game 75 out of 100

i strongly think think Lavi not pulling him was the key. again. play him every game here on out seems to be the plan. definite room for improvement.
8-4-3 since the WC

================================

judging the shootout separately: his best all year, by far, no complaints. the Iginla save was larceny. 100/100

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

credit to Beef Invictus for helping out with this new concept comparison thread.

Bob will be evaluated here as well, from a technical standpoint ... for the forum members who might prefer a discussion about our goalies style, performance & results .... it will be an easy to review game by game sort of thing ..... here we won't really take into account age, experience or contracts - just a raw 'on ice' grade / game by game sort of thing.

thanks again to Beef Invictus , and we appreciate your understanding of this slightly different concept

Old
02-27-2012, 10:17 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Kubina and grossman are beasts when they hit and they break up plays just with their size alone. players know they can't get through so they try to go around. they really are almost making up for the loss of pronger. I also think bringing in new guys is helping bryz because he's already been here and when your not the new guy anymore you can't help but feel a little bit more confident like you know more about it here than they do. Something's changing a little bit. The chemistry is better with these new defenseman. clutch moves. Its the difference between a first round exit and a possible conference final appearance. we need home ice tho.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:21 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
credit to Beef Invictus for helping out with this new concept comparison thread.

Bob will be evaluated here as well, from a technical standpoint ... for the forum members who might prefer a discussion about our goalies style, performance & results .... it will be an easy to review game by game sort of thing ..... here we won't really take into account age, experience or contracts - just a raw 'on ice' grade / game by game sort of thing.

thanks again to Beef Invictus , and we appreciate your understanding of this slightly different concept
I'll ask again.

You continually tout your goaltending experience as making you a superior goalie evaluator to the rest of us.

I have a friend who played goalie @ the division 1 level (recently) who disagrees with a lot of what you say about proper positioning, reaction to shootout moves, etc.

What level did you play goalie at? Are we talking high school, juniors, gym-class? What?

I only ask because you have brought up your experience as a goalie multiple times so I think it's fair to tell everybody what your credentials actually are.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Codith

From this point on, Bryz pretty much needs to play almost every game. We need him in a groove come playoffs. How many games are left around 20? 16-18 games should be his.

One thing I noticed is when he gets angry or aggressive he is 150% better in nets, whenever he isn't he seems to make himself really small and he lets in some weak ****. The first period against Calgary was exactly this, then after that you could tell he started to get in his more aggressive mode.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
From this point on, Bryz pretty much needs to play almost every game. We need him in a groove come playoffs. How many games are left around 20? 16-18 games should be his.

if they do that, u realise your maybe taking the chance to go to the PO's away from the rest of the team right ???

is that fair to the team ?

i dont think the entire teams effort needs to be set aside for one guys "hope he gets better"..

sorry but if Bryz isnt making the cut, then we should sit him down..

the Canucks did with Loloungo.. but as always with him its the PO's were he usualy falls aprt, and i suspect Bryz will do the same..

/que implode emote here..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I think it's a lose-lose situation. It's only his second year and it seems Bob is getting worn down again. I guess it's the travel schedule, or maybe he just works too hard and gets mentally fatigued.

Start Bryz the rest of the way and he could ruin it for us. But Bob hasn't been filling me with confidence that he would provide different results, either.

02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
MrHockey1982

I've said it before and will continue to say it. Bryz is our starting goalie for the playoffs unless he's hurt.

I like this new thread it shows a good comparison between the two goalies. But I really believe that it's all Bryz or nothing. He was brought in and paid to be the #1 and I don't see it changing.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Just leave Bryz in. He is our number one and Bob isnt doing any better right now. Just leave Bryz in to figure it out

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
haleks

Quote:
Evaluation of Bryz's game vs CAL 2/25

#1. Giroux: what POSSIBLE good can come from grabbing [even slightly] a guy with both hands in the offensive corner ?? does he realize we can't kill a penalty ?
Jake: get the puck OUT of the ZONE
as soon as that was kept in the zone, you KNEW it was trouble .....
bad luck that it knuckled, and of course Bryz isn't making those saves, but he's 3rd on the blame list
Bryz seem to have a really bad eye to hand coordination. How many time we saw a shot bounce off his glove hand or he completely misjudge the trajectory of the puck and his glove hand was nowhere near the puck.

Quote:
#2. D coverage: when do WE get to skate all alone across the blue line, cruise to the top of the circles and take uncontested slap shots ??
is it news to this team that Bryz has not been challenging and playing with confidence?? how do you let those chances occur 10 minutes into a game?

yes, the puck wasn't shot as hard as it looked like it would be judging by the wind-up, and that change-up is tough, but that said, Bryz has to come out further & start covering up for those type of things !!
IMO a bad shot from a high % position = a good shot from a low % position. Which Bryz should save most of the time. Of course miscue will happen sometimes, but in Bryz's case it is way too often.

Quote:
#3. 2 turnovers on the same play, buy 3 skaters ... only the Flyers could pull that off .... guy walks in basically uncontested, makes a move & beats him glove side

those are gonna go in most of the time ... Jake scored the same way, except he made a move and beat Kipper low
This was an extremely bad turnover, so I'll let Bryz go on this one, even though it wasn't really a good move/shoot from Kostopolous.

Quote:
Penalty shot. he covered the move, stick flat, to the post - everything you want to do as a goalie ... Tanguay got it over the stick. about 3 times in a hundred on that shot, a goalie will catch that in his catching glove ... and be in the running for save of the year. credit the shooter, not blame the goalie
This goal will probably not go in 90% of the time on a goalie that has the ability to push side to side from a butterfly position (like Lundqvist, Price, Pavelec, etc). Bryz problem with breakaways/penalty shots/shootout is exactly this inability. Once he drop into a butterfly he is stuck at that place and if the shooter is patient enough to hold onto the puck then Bryz is *****ed and then desperately try to put something in front of the puck. Like I said earlier, miscue happens, but again with Bryz it is still way too often.

Quote:
glad to see Bryz be a team player & tap Mez after he missed the open net in ot, especially after Mez's attitude earlier

i'd rate this game 75 out of 100

i strongly think think Lavi not pulling him was the key. again. play him every game here on out seems to be the plan. definite room for improvement.
8-4-3 since the WC

================================

judging the shootout separately: his best all year, by far, no complaints. the Iginla save was larceny. 100/100
In the shootout he started to slide into a butterfly/move to one side instead of just dropping immobile into a butterfly. Perhaps the Tanguay penalty shot was what open his eyes for the shootout.

Anyways I'm not a anti-Bryz or a pro-Bob or anything. I'm just stating what I see and what I think about it. I just hope that Bryz start being more solid and play to his capabilities. Lavy will have to play him as much as he can so he can pull is **** together before the playoff starts.

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
I'm just stating what I see and what I think about it.
thanks for contributing !

Old
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
You continually tout your goaltending experience as making you a superior goalie evaluator to the rest of us.
please quote where i said that. thanks.
there's room for more than 1 opinion in this thread.

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs SJ 2/28

1 goal against, can't complain too much on it. Mez / Kimmo backed in again, but not sure what else could have been done. Bryz was above the crease challenging, but Clowe picked a corner. Had that been Giroux, I don't think anyone would call that a 'bad goal'. can't really single out any 1 person.

saw more 'fight' to Bryz's game. did not seem to fight the puck, and very few rebounds, seemed to smother almost every shot at his body

good to see him challenge & be patient vs Boyle who had ALL DAY

i'd rate this game 88 out of 100

for the month Feb: .910 sv% 2.28 gaa

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-29-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

here's the Boyle save. this is what we need. confidence.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I thought the Boyle save wasn't his best. He had a couple quick reaction kick saves that were big. I think Lavy has to start him again tomorrow

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I thought the Boyle save wasn't his best. He had a couple quick reaction kick saves that were big. I think Lavy has to start him again tomorrow
Agreed. The Boyle save was very good, but there was a pad save where he kicked his right pad out to take away an empty net at some point maybe in the middle of the 3rd period that stuck with me as his best save. Held us in the game and was a solid, impressive save.

Overall, he played very well and I just hope coming back to home ice, the home fans won't automatically boo and be against him at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: This was the save on Galiardi. It was actually about 3 mins into the 3rd period.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I thought the Boyle save wasn't his best.
agreed. was more pleased with his overall effort

Old
02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Bryz was very patient on this save, boyle didn't do much, but bryz didn't panic.

I thought his best save was against Thornton in the 3rd. Shot between d mans legs to the far post.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs NYI 3/1

good to see him clearly outplay Nabby.

goal #1: how the Flyers yet again leave him hung out in the 1st minutes is yet again, hard to believe ... made the 1st save on the guy walking in all alone, but couldn't get the 2nd shot. poor team coverage, can't really call that an awful goal.

he bailed the team out time after time in the 1st .. good to see that. i still don't don't like when he covers / uncovers the puck .... just cover it & get the whistle.

goal #2: another guy completely open for a slam dunk.

goal #3; was clearly goalie interference .... sadly it was Schenn who not only bumped him, but got caught on the knob of his stick & ripped the stick from Bryz's hand .... most likely would have had it otherwise.

no bad goals against, was the best Flyer for big strecthes of this game.

barely any rebounds on those shot right at him, good fight to his game, rarely fought the puck

no doubt much better since the WC ... continue to start him. every game. no pulling the goalie.

i'd rate this game 90 out of 100

Old
03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Bryz just needs to find his flow, he's on a team with defense now unlike the Coyotes which totally changes the way he plays(Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour were great with no D in front of them but on another team they would have sucked too). He's had time but doesn't seem to fit entirely with the Flyers play yet...he will soon. Bob is too young to determine wither he will be good, most goalies in the NHL don't hit their prime til around 27 yrs old. Besides the Flyers are locked into Bryz now for another 9 years.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

it does seem that as he is playing more, he's improving. not sure we'll see Bob again ...