HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

PA Parenteau, give me your best and final offer...

Old
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
bert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I disagree with you, i feel Stone is a top prospect, definitely has top 6 potential IMO. PA is a good player, and really isn't a product of JT this year, whereas last year he was a product of JT. He has elite vision.

If we end up losing him for nothing in free agency it would have been a huge mistake. I just can't see him taking a deal that is worth less than 15 million, and I am not sure Snow/Wang are willing to pay him that money.
First of all there is absolutely no way Ottawa offered that for a UFA that has one and a half good seasons and zero playoff experience that is 28 years old. If that was offered and the Islanders didnt take that then Snow should be instantly fired. I havent seen an unproven UFA get traded for that value in years. If I am an Islanders fan I am absolutely furious that Nabokov and Paranteau weren't traded for something... Thats bad asset management, what if you lose them for nothing? Id be praying they both have extensions coming in the near future.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:02 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
First of all there is absolutely no way Ottawa offered that for a UFA that has one and a half good seasons and zero playoff experience that is 28 years old. If that was offered and the Islanders didnt take that then Snow should be instantly fired. I havent seen an unproven UFA get traded for that value in years. If I am an Islanders fan I am absolutely furious that Nabokov and Paranteau weren't traded for something... Thats bad asset management, what if you lose them for nothing? Id be praying they both have extensions coming in the near future.
I agree with you. Nabby could have gotten a 2nd at least, probably a decent prospect as well. I really wanted them to trade Nabby, and let Poulin/Montoya fight it out for starts the rest of the season.

As for Parenteau I think he should have been traded as well, but if we can resign him Snow made the right move.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
OilerFan4Life

Isles absolutely were right in keeping Nabokov. They finally have a stable goaltender. Lock him up for a year or two and give him a nmc and be done with it.

PA should have been dealt.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Isles absolutely were right in keeping Nabokov. They finally have a stable goaltender. Lock him up for a year or two and give him a nmc and be done with it.

PA should have been dealt.
While I am certain the Islanders are open to resigning Nabby, I am not sure that he is as interested in staying on LI. That said, it would be great PR if they can convince the guy who wouldn't even report to them last season that a future on LI is worth signing on for.

PAP is far more likely to be re-signed so long as he isn't asking for a ridiculous sum. Before the season, many of us were hoping Garth would flip him as part of a package for a top-4 D - but he's really been one of the hardest working Islanders this season and I wouldn't object to his remaining with the team. I think he likes it on LI, likes his teammates, etc. and he's proven his worth.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I disagree with you, i feel Stone is a top prospect, definitely has top 6 potential IMO. PA is a good player, and really isn't a product of JT this year, whereas last year he was a product of JT. He has elite vision.

If we end up losing him for nothing in free agency it would have been a huge mistake. I just can't see him taking a deal that is worth less than 15 million, and I am not sure Snow/Wang are willing to pay him that money.
That's fine. Disagreeing without being disagreeable is always good :-)

I am not worried about losing PA or Nabokov in July.

On P.A. I think we will get the deal done at it will be 4 years at $3.5-3.75 per season average. I think the Isles want to give him a Matt Moulson type deal, but P.A. wants the 4th year. Snow realizes that there are no other 70+ point guys who are going to come here at this time.

We were not discussing it but others in this thread have, and those who are suggesting Nabokov has no interest in staying here don't know what they are talking about.

Nabokov could have requested a trade at any point in time during the season, and with his NTC, he could have picked his team *be it Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver or any contender. He did not ask for a trade. He further has been in discussions with Garth Snow for several weeks on a contract. My guess is he will sign a deal between now and the end of the season. I think the sticking issue is DiPietro and the concept of having 3 goalies on the team. This has all been reported by Newsday.

Its a fair bet that Nabby sees what is here, and in front of him on the ice. He can see the play of many of the young players, and that he will become a true #1 here.

If we were to lose both/either I have no problem. What any GM offered and what they didn't will never be known. The rest is speculation. I would have been more upset if Snow had sold low. Plus, I think both will be re-signed anyway.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Sooooo you have insight that Nabokov even wants to or is willing to stay on Long Island?

Logic would have it that he's going to a bigger or more successful bidder.

It would truly be a glorious day in Islanderville if he could be retained for another season or two.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
On P.A. — I think we will get the deal done at it will be 4 years at $3.5-3.75 per season average. I think the Isles want to give him a Matt Moulson type deal, but P.A. wants the 4th year. Snow realizes that there are no other 70+ point guys who are going to come here at this time.

We were not discussing it but others in this thread have, and those who are suggesting Nabokov has no interest in staying here don't know what they are talking about.

Nabokov could have requested a trade at any point in time during the season, and with his NTC, he could have picked his team —*be it Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver or any contender. He did not ask for a trade. He further has been in discussions with Garth Snow for several weeks on a contract. My guess is he will sign a deal between now and the end of the season. I think the sticking issue is DiPietro and the concept of having 3 goalies on the team. This has all been reported by Newsday.
Wow, Hye Dry, where have you gotten so much faith despite years of evidence to the contrary???

Don't get me wrong: I have no doubt that Snow wants to keep both and that a fair deal with good money will be suggested.

But alone all one has to do is point to guys like Leino and Fleischmann and then ask oneself "Why wouldn't Parenteau feel inclined to seek that money with a more promising team?"

The question is not only logical, but it's surely being asked by his agent.

Not a soul in the NHL world should think that Parenteau is gonna give this team some sweetheart deal or accept less money for sentimental reasons.

He's about to cash in on the biggest paycheck of his life and there are some crazy GMs out there likely willing to oblige him.

At this juncture, it is foolish for Snow and for fans to think/assume/feel that Evgeni and PA are inclined to resign here.

Simply foolish.

Quote:
Its a fair bet that Nabby sees what is here, and in front of him on the ice. He can see the play of many of the young players, and that he will become a true #1 here.
Ohhhh goodness, if he's seeing what's here and on the ice (which he obviously is), then he's thinking this is a wrecked ship that will not be sailing again any time soon.

I greatly doubt that his desires are currently to be the number one guy with two good rookies breathing down his kneck behind a poorly assembled and greatly mismanaged group of skaters.

I don't care how much he may like some of these kids or teammates, he knows far better than we do what incredible difference there is between years of being with a winner (San Jose) and this season with a hopeless Islander cast.

I am curious to see what negotiation rabbit Snow will pull out of his hat to get Nabby signed. Not sure if anything less than 4 million per will do it.

Quote:
If we were to lose both/either I have no problem. What any GM offered and what they didn't will never be known. The rest is speculation. I would have been more upset if Snow had sold low. Plus, I think both will be re-signed anyway.
You may think both will be resigned, but the logic behind that thought process is flawed.

Right now, I'm just a bit dumbfounded by the faith and optimism Islander fans are showing despite another playoffless season and a whole slew of questionable moves and non-moves that have the Isles going nowhere fast.

It's like Snow has a bunch of us enthralled in some type of Stockholm Syndrome.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame View Post
PAP is far more likely to be re-signed so long as he isn't asking for a ridiculous sum. Before the season, many of us were hoping Garth would flip him as part of a package for a top-4 D - but he's really been one of the hardest working Islanders this season and I wouldn't object to his remaining with the team. I think he likes it on LI, likes his teammates, etc. and he's proven his worth.
No doubt, the Isles would like to keep him.

Now, if you're 29, a top 20 scorer in the NHL and have seen comparable players with far worse stats than yours get 4-6 million per in recent years, i.e. if you're Parenteau, what do YOU do going into free agency after having played with a non-playoff team for two years running???

Be honest - think logically.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
No doubt, the Isles would like to keep him.

Now, if you're 29, a top 20 scorer in the NHL and have seen comparable players with far worse stats than yours get 4-6 million per in recent years, i.e. if you're Parenteau, what do YOU do going into free agency after having played with a non-playoff team for two years running???

Be honest - think logically.
It all depends on what he wants for himself going into next season. If he likes his current employer and coworkers, then he may just be using all avenues to leverage the best deal for himself. I think something like 4 years at 4m per might get it done, and with the contributions of the Isles' 3m crowd this season, 4m might seem fair to both sides of the negotiation, given the length of the contract, but I'm no business major.

That said, I still think he's looked at as the most expendable of the top-6 that are in place right now, so the Isles may strongly resist the length of contract that it might take to have PA accept 4m/yr. Given the hopes that Petrov, or Kabanov, or Strome, or Nino may break out in the next few seasons and step into one of those 6 spots, or that we might actually land a quality FA for one of those spots, it might be challenging to consider the idea of paying PA 4m for several years where he may be moved to a different role - but if the expectations are that he continue to perform near the level he has for the past 2 seasons, then there would always be the flexibility to move him or one of the other top-6 as well.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame View Post
It all depends on what he wants for himself going into next season. If he likes his current employer and coworkers, then he may just be using all avenues to leverage the best deal for himself. I think something like 4 years at 4m per might get it done, and with the contributions of the Isles' 3m crowd this season, 4m might seem fair to both sides of the negotiation, given the length of the contract, but I'm no business major.
If he's smart, he doesn't let such personal interests sway his decision. He could surely get comfortable in other places around the league.

Quote:
That said, I still think he's looked at as the most expendable of the top-6 that are in place right now, so the Isles may strongly resist the length of contract that it might take to have PA accept 4m/yr.
At this point, I'd take him for the next few years over Okposo and Grabner every day of the week.

Quote:
Given the hopes that Petrov, or Kabanov, or Strome, or Nino may break out in the next few seasons and step into one of those 6 spots
This better happen or we will be mired in mediocrity forever. These kids - particularly Strome and Niederreiter - have to pan out as top 6 forwards regularly capable of 20-30 goals and 55+ points if we're going to contend any time soon.

Be certain thought that Snow prolly doesn't want any UFA forward this summer MORE than PA. They will make him a really good offer.

Again, the question is whether it'll be topped by a million or so more by some other employer who can offer rosier chances at winning.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:35 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Be certain thought that Snow prolly doesn't want any UFA forward this summer MORE than PA. They will make him a really good offer.
Well there is Parise, but that is a pipedream

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote