HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils at Rangers

View Poll Results: 3 Stars???
Lundqvist 118 72.39%
McDonagh 123 75.46%
Hagelin 145 88.96%
Callahan 42 25.77%
Girardi 12 7.36%
Stralman 4 2.45%
Gaborik 12 7.36%
Stepan 2 1.23%
Anisimov 3 1.84%
Bickel 2 1.23%
Dubinsky 4 2.45%
Prust 3 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
Not sure if its been posted, but no supplemental discipline is coming for Clarkson, which is total crap.

https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice/...13286358896640
Disagree...for a guy who jumped it was the softest landing ever.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I thought the call was fine on Clarkson and I agree with the no supplemental discipline. Clarkson was an idiot last night and the hit was stupid but he didn't really hit whoever it was (Dubi?) hard and he wasn't in a vulnerable position. Two minute minor was good enough for me.
Totally agree

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
While this isn't a point I would argue myself, I think it is quite likely that the overall speed and power of shots has gone up these days as players are more athletic and have better equipment
That's nonsense.

The current size of NHL goalie equipment has NOTHING to do with protecting the goalie and EVERYTHING to do with stopping the puck. Yes, the stick technology improved and added 2-4 mph to the shots, but that's not enough to cause goalie injuries. Remember, even back in the day it was NOT the goalies that got injured by pucks, because their equipment was already more than satisfactory.

This isnt even a debatable argument - NHL goalie equipment is designed to block the puck, PERIOD.

The three Worst/most egregious examples?

1) Butterfly goalie pads 100% designed to eliminate the 5-hole

I love this picture, we even have full pad overlap!

2) The massively expanded chest protectors

3) The Cheater

And the above, IMO, are just the three WORST examples of blatant goalie equipment abuses, but there are many more - ridiculous side pad flaps, XXXXXXXL jersey cuts, knee extenders that are ridiculously long etc......

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 02-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.
BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Dorado*

More teams as well as goalie equipment changed the game .
Diluted talent level much the same way baseball and particularly pitchers and lack if them.

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Haven't had a chance to peruse the entire post game thread, but is there a gif yet of Brodeur's laughable dive? The NHL needs to get back to fining divers to set an example. Brodeur's been a pretty egregious diver (or as ex-goalies will call it -- user of "veteran moves") for as long as I can remember and I don't think he's ever been fined for it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Dorado*

More teams as well as goalie equipment changed the game .
Diluted talent level much the same way baseball and particularly pitchers and lack if them.

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

I don't get one thing. How come when teams like the Blues and Rangers that play up to their strength, defense and goaltending while playing poorly offensively it's OMG they're ruining hockey, but the Flyers are playing to their strength of offense and playing poorly defensively and in goal, it's all great?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't get one thing. How come when teams like the Blues and Rangers that play up to their strength, defense and goaltending while playing poorly offensively it's OMG they're ruining hockey, but the Flyers are playing to their strength of offense and playing poorly defensively and in goal, it's all great?
It is great.

For the other 29 teams in the league.

02-28-2012, 01:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That's nonsense.

The current size of NHL goalie equipment has NOTHING to do with protecting the goalie and EVERYTHING to do with stopping the puck. Yes, the stick technology improved and added 2-4 mph to the shots, but that's not enough to cause goalie injuries. Remember, even back in the day it was NOT the goalies that got injured by pucks, because their equipment was already more than satisfactory.

This isnt even a debatable argument - NHL goalie equipment is designed to block the puck, PERIOD.

The three Worst/most egregious examples?

1) Butterfly goalie pads 100% designed to eliminate the 5-hole

I love this picture, we even have full pad overlap!

2) The massively expanded chest protectors

3) The Cheater

And the above, IMO, are just the three WORST examples of blatant goalie equipment abuses, but there are many more - ridiculous side pad flaps, XXXXXXXL jersey cuts, knee extenders that are ridiculously long etc......
Wait wait wait.... The advent of 1-piece composite sticks has only added 2-4 mph to shot velocities? How did you come up with that number? Not only are the sticks lighter, but please tell me how the torque and flex on these composite sticks is only adding 2-4 mph to the puck velocities? Did wood sticks bend and torque like this?

So the players are bigger and stronger, using lighter and better form fitting equipment, and are using stick technology that gives them a superior advantage when shooting the puck over players in the past who had utilized wooden sticks, and we want the goalies' pads to be the same size as they were back in the 80's and early 90's?

You want to reduce the goalie pads? Fine, then demand they do away with the composite sticks. Why give the players on the ice technological advances/advantages with their equipment which allows them to perform at a higher level but then tell the goalie's they're pads are not allowed to have changed over the years and that they're S.O.L.? I've been watching the game since 1991 and at no point in time have I ever felt like the game had gotten too boring and there wasn't enough scoring or excitement in the gameplay. I probably enjoy the game more today than I have at any time in the past. The only time I can ever recall having an issue with a particular goalie's equipment was Garth Snow's ridiculous looking shoulder pads that took away the top portion of the net.

NHL should put restrictions on all equipment (so that they do not increase from current standards) and leave everything else the way it currently is.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

Seriously, did you forget how hard Chara was able to blast a puck in the skills competition, singling out goalies for their advancement in equipment is ignorant.

And defense wins championships, **** all the haters.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Wait wait wait.... The advent of 1-piece composite sticks has only added 2-4 mph to shot velocities? How did you come up with that number? Not only are the sticks lighter, but please tell me how the torque and flex on these composite sticks is only adding 2-4 mph to the puck velocities? Did wood sticks bend and torque like this?

So the players are bigger and stronger, using lighter and better form fitting equipment, and are using stick technology that gives them a superior advantage when shooting the puck over players in the past who had utilized wooden sticks, and we want the goalies' pads to be the same size as they were back in the 80's and early 90's?

You want to reduce the goalie pads? Fine, then demand they do away with the composite sticks. Why give the players on the ice technological advances/advantages and then tell the goalie's they're pads are not allowed to have changed over the years and that they're S.O.L.? I've been watching the game since 1991 and at no point in time have I ever felt like the game had gotten too boring and there wasn't enough scoring or excitement. I probably enjoy the game more today than I have at any time in the past. The only time I can ever recall having an issue with a particular goalie's equipment was Garth Snow's ridiculous looking shoulder pads that took away the top portion of the net.

NHL should put restrictions on all equipment (so that they do not increase from current standards) and leave everything else the way it currently is.
I'm not one to usually make this joke, but I find it hysterical that the picture of the Devils player shooting the puck is covered in empty seats.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I'm not one to usually make this joke, but I find it hysterical that the picture of the Devils player shooting the puck is covered in empty seats.
Beat me to it. I fail to understand why defensive hockey(not a trap) is not OK if we have so many awesome defensemen...but the Flyers just scoring a lot, while having horrible defense and goaltending is. Each team plays to their strengths.

For anyone interested: The King will be on ESPN 1050 at 4pm today.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Who cares? Why do people get so hung up on attendance? You don't win attendance banners and if only 5 people see you win the Stanley Cup, you still win it right?

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Who cares? Why do people get so hung up on attendance? You don't win attendance banners and if only 5 people see you win the Stanley Cup, you still win it right?
The Washington Mystics beg to differ cj

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Quote:

Devils fans... so uneducated

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Well...attendance helps the team make money. Maybe the Devils could keep Parise if not for their financial problems.

We'll take him off your hands

Old
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:

Very funny Mr...don't make me take back those tickets for next week's game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Devils fans... so uneducated
Hey now..I resent that remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Well...attendance helps the team make money. Maybe the Devils could keep Parise if not for their financial problems.

We'll take him off your hands
LOL over my dead body buddy! Although Callahan would look really nice in red & black!

Old
02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Very funny Mr...don't make me take back those tickets for next week's game!
Haha I just remember seeing that picture a couple of weeks ago and it was too perfect of a post not to pass up

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
LOL over my dead body buddy! Although Callahan would look really nice in red & black!
Eww. Not really. Instead, we'll out Parise on a line with Richards and Cally. Zach in blue is the real deal. You guys have Kovy for another century.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Eww. Not really. Instead, we'll out Parise on a line with Richards and Cally. Zach in blue is the real deal. You guys have Kovy for another century.
Yeah see..you don't like it either do ya!

Old
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Yeah see..you don't like it either do ya!
Nope. Not really. Now, in case you Devils fans are interested, Henrik will be on ESPN 1050 at 4pm, and I know how much you guys love talking about him.

Cheers!

Old
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
How does Dubinsky for Parise sound?

02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
Nope. Not really. Now, in case you Devils fans are interested, Henrik will be on ESPN 1050 at 4pm, and I know how much you guys love talking about him.

Cheers!
so true, lol... theyre obsessed with our team more than their own... theyre closet ranger fans/castaways

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:

Cheers!
Haha..what's the radio? I'll be sure to tell my husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
How does Dubinsky for Parise sound?
YUCK! I want nothing to do with Dubinsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
so true, lol... theyre obsessed with our team more than their own... theyre closet ranger fans/castaways
Nah..just have to deal with one of yours on a 24/7 basis so I feel like I can talk respectfully about your team and give praise when praise is due.

Now if you excuse me...I have to get ready to go skate with the Devils!

Old
02-28-2012, 03:17 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
without a doubt the most boring game of the season.
Either you forgot to put a sarcastic smilie or I just don't get it. Even regardless of the final score, there were battles on every inch of the ice. Both teams were giving 100% and it showed. Someone brought up a game against Dallas - these two games are like complete opposites to me.

Last night's game was a play-off preview when both teams are ready and prepared to play with high intensity for as long as it takes!

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote