HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Alex Galchenyuk OVER Mikhail Grigorenko!

Old
01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temego View Post
I havent seem Grigorenko many times and was curious to see that vid, expecting some kinda highlight-compilation, but.. he scores a backhand goal on a breakaway?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
RyanHPscout

vCash: 500
I don't think this is an outrageous comment to say that Galchenyuk may go over Grigorenko.

The injury he sustained, is expected to be fully repaired, and he could get 8-10 regular season games in before the playoffs. We have Galchenyuk 7th right now, I know that's a little low for some, a little high for others, but he's stuck in idle, while players performances dictate a move one spot up or two. We've considered the play of 6 players to be at the point right now where they could pass Galchenyuk currently. Grigorenko is one of those players.

The stats posted earlier in this thread is a very misleading. Galchenyuk is 12 weeks older than Grigorenko. So why would Galchenyuk be listed as a 17 year old from last year's stats, and Grigorenko is listed as 17 for this year's stats?? Whether you call it 16/17, or 17/18 Galchenyuk was a year younger last year when putting up those stats.

Both players have elite skills in their their skillset. Thats why both have been discussed at one time or another as a player who could be the #1 pick for this draft. Some felt before Galchenyuk's injury that in fact, he could be the one to dethrone both Yakupov and Grigorenko atop the #1 discussion. It's interesting because when Galchenyuk went down people were concerned if it would affect Yakupov's points. That comment isn't made if Galchenyuk's stats are being padded by Yakupov.

I think youtube can sometimes be misleading for Grigorenko. One of the games I saw him in person, I saw him try to take on 3 guys at once 3 times. twice on a powerplay, when he had passing options. He went for the highlight reel, and the puck wound up down the ice instead of using one of his open passing options. He scored the 3rd time, and it was a beauty goal. But when you watch highlights you don't see all the misses, you see the goal.

So in closing I'd say no matter who goes first, that team will land a very talented forward. I think it's very possible someone takes Galchenyuk over over Grigorenko. What the likelyhood of it is? I don't know, but it's a realistic possibility.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Toydarian

I think Girgorenko looks and plays more like Joe Thornton than Evgeni Malkin.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:37 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFuture14 View Post
Montreal Fan here....
Been reading the boards alot on Centers in the upcoming draft and I hope the habs can land Galchenyuk. I feel Grigorenko will be gone by the time habs draft and Galchenyuk looks really special. He reminds a bit of Ovechkin in terms of how he celebrates and enjoys the game. He looks so explosive, hoping the injury doesn't set him back.

Grigorenko seems more ready for the NHL right away. He is responsible and does show a lot of similarities to Malkin. His size is unreal and for his first season in N.A, he is definitely a promising prospect.
I think Habs may try hard to trade up to draft Grigorenko. Especially, if Roy is bought back next year.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:33 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Bombatz View Post
I'm considering all of those things...

Here let's break it down.

Mikhail Grigorenko: Height: 74’’ GP :36 G :25 A :33 PTS 58 AGE :17

Alex Galchenyuk: Height: 73’’ GP :68 G :31 A :52PTS 83 AGE :17

Looking past stats, Grigorenko reminds me of someone who hit the development curve quicker than others (therefore is portrayed better than he is) kind of like Benoit Pouliot. In comparison Alex Galchenyuk reminds me of a smoother skater with more upside kind of like Matt Duchene. Ovbviously this is pure speculation, however I just wanted to know why there was such a consensus on Grigorenko
You just cannot compare scoring in the Q to the O. and there is the years difference.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
I don't think this is an outrageous comment to say that Galchenyuk may go over Grigorenko.

The injury he sustained, is expected to be fully repaired, and he could get 8-10 regular season games in before the playoffs. We have Galchenyuk 7th right now, I know that's a little low for some, a little high for others, but he's stuck in idle, while players performances dictate a move one spot up or two. We've considered the play of 6 players to be at the point right now where they could pass Galchenyuk currently. Grigorenko is one of those players.

The stats posted earlier in this thread is a very misleading. Galchenyuk is 12 weeks older than Grigorenko. So why would Galchenyuk be listed as a 17 year old from last year's stats, and Grigorenko is listed as 17 for this year's stats?? Whether you call it 16/17, or 17/18 Galchenyuk was a year younger last year when putting up those stats.

Both players have elite skills in their their skillset. Thats why both have been discussed at one time or another as a player who could be the #1 pick for this draft. Some felt before Galchenyuk's injury that in fact, he could be the one to dethrone both Yakupov and Grigorenko atop the #1 discussion. It's interesting because when Galchenyuk went down people were concerned if it would affect Yakupov's points. That comment isn't made if Galchenyuk's stats are being padded by Yakupov.

I think youtube can sometimes be misleading for Grigorenko. One of the games I saw him in person, I saw him try to take on 3 guys at once 3 times. twice on a powerplay, when he had passing options. He went for the highlight reel, and the puck wound up down the ice instead of using one of his open passing options. He scored the 3rd time, and it was a beauty goal. But when you watch highlights you don't see all the misses, you see the goal.

So in closing I'd say no matter who goes first, that team will land a very talented forward. I think it's very possible someone takes Galchenyuk over over Grigorenko. What the likelyhood of it is? I don't know, but it's a realistic possibility.
That about sums it up really.

Coming into the year I had these two as 2a and 2b in the draft after Yakupov, based on what I heard of Grigerenko and saw of Galchenyuk. I wouldn't exactly call their games similar, but they are also not dissimilar.

A big center that can control the play? Both of these guys are that and both IMHO should go quite high.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Teamwork

I'm going to bump this thread to see if you guys have anything to add to the comparison of Grigorenko and Galchenyuk.

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
I'm going to bump this thread to see if you guys have anything to add to the comparison of Grigorenko and Galchenyuk.
I only have thoughts to add.

No way this happens. Just going to say that. Unless CBJ picks second, but I could see them taking Murray.

However the only way Galchenyuk had a shot to be the first center selected is if he had a full and healthy season. Grigorenko is easily the second best forward in this draft in terms of production this year.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Czechexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Grigorenko plays a "bigger" game. He is physical enough, protects the puck well with his size. His defensive game is already close to NHL ready. He also has nearly equal goal scoring ability to Galchenyuk, but Grigorenko has better passing skills.

The two are pretty close, but Grigorenko plays with weaker linemates than Galchenyk has up to now (I know he's hurt, but that doesn't matter to many scouts anyway).

Comparing Grigorenko's style to Malkin's isn't a big stretch, with some subtle differences.

I've had the good fortune to watch both players live a few times and both are impressive. I just hope my Habs can land one of these two guys.
There is one fundamental difference between Malkin and Grigorenko. Remembering Malkin when he was draft eligible(or as underager), he always played with great passion, determination, strong work ethic. Competitive, hungry but unselfish making everything for team to win games/tournaments. I have seen nothing of it on many shifts/games in Grigorenko´s game.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
PATCHESx67

Galchenyuk plays with Yakupov

Grigorenko plays with Frederick Roy

nothing else to add

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

THE ONLY way this will happen is if who ever gets 1st overall pick trades to get 2nd overall as well and drafts both of them 1 and 2....beside that, I can not see this happeneing...Grigorenko because he plays in the QMJHL is very down played on these boards to some people who only see him very limited viewings on TV.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
grN1g

I honestly don't see the Grigorenko comparison to malkin, to me his style looks more like hossa/gaborik.

Galchenyuk imo looks very similar to malkin in all of his highlight videos.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Read on TSN that apparently Grigorenko isnt held in high regard by all scouts. Apparently a few have said they want to pass on him. One even stated, if hes available at 25, we pass on him. They question his character and compete level

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Honestly, any discussion on this is very premature without seeing Galchenyuk on his repaired knee.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Read on TSN that apparently Grigorenko isnt held in high regard by all scouts. Apparently a few have said they want to pass on him. One even stated, if hes available at 25, we pass on him. They question his character and compete level
I do not want to knock the messenger but how the hell can you evaluate his character and compete level when he has not even completely healed his ankle. Ankles injuries are a *****. But i guess there's always a good reason to hate a Russian prospect that also plays in the Q (many scouts say that playing in the Q is a disadvantage for the draft, as it's negatively perceived). Anyway both will be good.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
I do not want to knock the messenger but how the hell can you evaluate his character and compete level when he has not even completely healed his ankle. Ankles injuries are a *****. But i guess there's always a good reason to hate a Russian prospect that also plays in the Q (many scouts say that playing in the Q is a disadvantage for the draft, as it's negatively perceived). Anyway both will be good.
For scouts to question him this much there must be something we don't know. They know about his injury for sure, I doubt they're that clueless.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
For scouts to question him this much there must be something we don't know. They know about his injury for sure, I doubt they're that clueless.
Who are these scouts anyway? Feels like some nobodies that are trying to get some visibility by saying such statements. The first picks are always done by the GMs and the head scouts. I can't imagine these people saying that kind of statement to TSN, seriously. Obviously that's all speculation, but let's see how he does in the playoffs before saying he has no heart lol.

edit: he had a little down but he's playing great lately in the last stretch of the season.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFuture14 View Post
Montreal Fan here....
Been reading the boards alot on Centers in the upcoming draft and I hope the habs can land Galchenyuk. I feel Grigorenko will be gone by the time habs draft and Galchenyuk looks really special. He reminds a bit of Ovechkin in terms of how he celebrates and enjoys the game. He looks so explosive, hoping the injury doesn't set him back.

Grigorenko seems more ready for the NHL right away. He is responsible and does show a lot of similarities to Malkin. His size is unreal and for his first season in N.A, he is definitely a promising prospect.
Mate, the Montreal Canadiens will be at the podium by the 2nd or 3rd overall pick. Personally, I think they have what it takes to tank loll

As for the Grigorenko vs Galchenyuk debate..it's hard to compare them since Galchenyuk hasn't played a game yet this season. Grigorenko's talent is undeniable and his vision and playmaking skills are unique in this draft. The Malkin comparison is not that off.. but Malkin plays at a faster pace. I think I know why people are throwing the lazy argument and no work ethic argument about him or that he's slow, etc. It's because Grigorenko's skating is effortless and he doesn't skate for nothing..if you watch him play carefully, Patrick Roy has changed him completely defensively and for the best. Anyhow, the real reason why people are giving him that much criticism and hate...is because he has that same style of play as L'Artiste ..Mr Alexei Kovalev. He's no Malkin or Thornton..but he's a better version of Alexei Kovalev.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Mate, the Montreal Canadiens will be at the podium by the 2nd or 3rd overall pick. Personally, I think they have what it takes to tank loll

As for the Grigorenko vs Galchenyuk debate..it's hard to compare them since Galchenyuk hasn't played a game yet this season. Grigorenko's talent is undeniable and his vision and playmaking skills are unique in this draft. The Malkin comparison is not that off.. but Malkin plays at a faster pace. I think I know why people are throwing the lazy argument and no work ethic argument about him or that he's slow, etc. It's because Grigorenko's skating is effortless and he doesn't skate for nothing..if you watch him play carefully, Patrick Roy has changed him completely defensively and for the best. Anyhow, the real reason why people are giving him that much criticism and hate...is because he has that same style of play as L'Artiste ..Mr Alexei Kovalev. He's no Malkin or Thornton..but he's a better version of Alexei Kovalev.
Although he has all the talent in the world, like Kovalev, I can't see the compatibility. Grigo is a center, and he's great at feeding his teammates. Kovalev had a low hockey IQ. Thats why he was a winger and not a center, with all the talent he had. But i must say that on the hashmarks, on the powerplay, Grigo definitely looks like Kovy.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

I wonder if the Isles would pick Galchenyuk if available.....

He could be the #2 centre they need.....We need Defense but Dmen take longer to develope...

Should is injury be a concern???

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Although he has all the talent in the world, like Kovalev, I can't see the compatibility. Grigo is a center, and he's great at feeding his teammates. Kovalev had a low hockey IQ. Thats why he was a winger and not a center, with all the talent he had. But i must say that on the hashmarks, on the powerplay, Grigo definitely looks like Kovy.
Exactly, I'm not comparing their position..but more of their style of play on the ice. Grigorenko when he has the puck..he seems slow just like Kovalev..but the similarities are certainly there. And yes, Grigorenko definitely has a greater hockey IQ than Kovalev, that's why I said he's a better version of Kovy.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Yet Patrick Roy thinks very highly of him.

To say you'd pass on him at 25 is a bit odd though. For that scout to say that it means he really thinks there are 25 players better than him this year, and are there really any way you look at it 25 better players? Can it be a scout thats been burned by a russian draft pick before?

Very weird though, it seems that Grigorenko is a bit of a mystery. Who's right, scouts that have him at first or second and a coach that speaks highly of him, or scouts that wouldnt even take him a 25...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I think Girgorenko looks and plays more like Joe Thornton than Evgeni Malkin.
This is what I got from watching him play as well. I didn't see much of Malkin in him. Just because they're both Russian doesn't mean they play the game the same.

I'm interested to see how Galchenyuk finishes the season. Until then, I'm not sure why there is so much heated debate.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Chemical Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
The other thing you have to consider is that Grigerenko doesn't have star winger Yakupov playing right beside him.

You also have to consider that Galchenyuk's injury also hasn't seemed to effect Yakupov in any negative way at all. You can argue it's because Yakupov is a star player, which is true, but it doesn't reflect well on Galchenyuk when players can continue to play at an outstanding pace without you.
Neither did Galchenyuk, Yakupovs centre last year was Kale Kerbashian.

I've never seen Grigorenko play live, but as a sting season ticket holder the last two years I think I have a pretty good grasp on Galchenyuk, at least until he was injured.

To put it bluntly, Galchenyuk has the highest upside I have seen in the OHL over the last two seasons. Nail is definitely the best player right now in the OHL, but Gally just projects beautifully. He has a very big, but immature frame. He really uses that frame to his advantage, utilizing all of his stick range on his dekes, as well as an absolute laser of a shot. The overwhelming feeling I get when I watch him play is that he has so much more to grow. I really see a lot of Malkin in his game, once he fills out he has the potential to get near that level of player too.

Of course missing this year could have had a huge effect on his development, and no one will really know until he is back what kind of effect it has had.

Chemical Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:12 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
While that's true, Yakupov and Gally played on the same line at times and on the PP.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote