HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Locker room riff?

Old
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
^^ I agree with you - but the other thing to keep in mind is that, at least offensively, the main producers (and, at this point, the Hawks strength is offense) are the "not in your face" guys you referenced.

I guess what i'm getting at is the question about whether the players most likely to speak up are players whose voices would carry a lot of weight on a team which, for better or for worse (at this point, probably for worse) tends to be all about the offense.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:28 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I think the players know the "system" doesn't work, and while some players could be playing better as individuals they realize this whole thing is a ******* mess. I would actually be kind of miffed if there WASN'T a rift in the locker room. If I played on this team, saw the things that weren't working, then had some guys and the coaching staff make excuses and completely ignore addressing the issues I'd be extremely pissed and frustrated.

Among other things I think this locker room misses players that are both heady AND vocal. This team really needs about 3 guys who can be like "Look coach, this is BS. We can't keep running our PP like we do because it hasn't worked, isn't working, and will not work in the future. We can't keep collapsing on defense as that DOESN'T WORK! Guys, you can't let players roam freely in the crease as it yields WAY too many easy scoring chances." That is what this team needs.

I look at this roster and see a lot of naturally quiet guys. Toews isn't an in your face guy. Kane isn't. Seabs isn't. Hossa isn't. Sharp isn't. Keith sure as hell isn't. The only guy I see who could remotely fit this role is Mayers. This team not only lacks grit, but it lacks the vocal presence to keep players (and maybe even coaches accountable). We sure as hell know this coaching staff doesn't do it.
I don't disagree with you at all, but am curious to know who you think they could bring in that would bring that type of mentality/attitude...?

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:23 AM
EmeticDonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I think the players know the "system" doesn't work, and while some players could be playing better as individuals they realize this whole thing is a ******* mess. I would actually be kind of miffed if there WASN'T a rift in the locker room. If I played on this team, saw the things that weren't working, then had some guys and the coaching staff make excuses and completely ignore addressing the issues I'd be extremely pissed and frustrated.

Among other things I think this locker room misses players that are both heady AND vocal. This team really needs about 3 guys who can be like "Look coach, this is BS. We can't keep running our PP like we do because it hasn't worked, isn't working, and will not work in the future. We can't keep collapsing on defense as that DOESN'T WORK! Guys, you can't let players roam freely in the crease as it yields WAY too many easy scoring chances." That is what this team needs.

I look at this roster and see a lot of naturally quiet guys. Toews isn't an in your face guy. Kane isn't. Seabs isn't. Hossa isn't. Sharp isn't. Keith sure as hell isn't. The only guy I see who could remotely fit this role is Mayers. This team not only lacks grit, but it lacks the vocal presence to keep players (and maybe even coaches accountable). We sure as hell know this coaching staff doesn't do it.
Interesting thoughts, but unless you have been in the locker room, how would you know if these mentioned players are vocal or not? You are just making assertions based on how they seem on camera when interviewed. They could be very different when among teammates. I wouldn't draw any far reaching conclusions about there not being any vocal leaders in the room, unless you've been around them in that environment.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Maddog was this type of player. You wouldn't think it, but he was

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't disagree with you at all, but am curious to know who you think they could bring in that would bring that type of mentality/attitude...?
I'd be lying if I said I watch enough non-Blackhawk hockey to even know.

But I really don't think it's that hard to scout coaches and get a feel for who's good and who's not. I think there are enough scouts out there that know NHL and lower level rosters enough to accurately gauge their talent. Once that talent is assessed, scrutinize the coach's utilization of that talent. By that I mean evaluating STs construction, line construction, and tactical systems by the said team. How does the c coach react during games? Are knee-jerk reactions being made? Key changes made that consistently produce results? Do the players seem receptive to the coaches message. With the number of games seen by scouts I don't even think it would be that hard.

IMO EVERY team should constantly have an up-to-date list of current coaches, former coaches, and lower level coaches who are considered future replacements. Once you start to question your current coaches abilities, those lists should be pared and further scrutinized. If the Blackhawks accurately did their homework on such a list it would be filled with 5 guys who are better suited to running this team than Q. Problem is with Stan's recent statements I have doubts on this process even being initiated.

If I watched enough non-Blackhawk hockey to through names out there I would, but the only teams outside the Hawks I feel confident commenting on are those within our division (and about 5 others). Otherwise I certainly don't watch enough hockey.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

RantSports reported on the supposed rift (or is it a raft?). They actually didn't say anything new except to mention dumbly obvious annoyances that the various levels of coaching/management *reportedly* have with each other.

http://www.rantsports.com/chicago-bl...s-locker-room/

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

It is rift.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
EmeticDonut

Just adding the 300-level report that the article posted a few posts up mentions.

Quote:
From a source today

I’m told everyone in Hawks management is pissed.

Q is pissed that the players aren’t responding like they have in the past.
Bowman is pissed Q isn’t using the players correctly.

McDonough is pissed that most of the news about the Hawks in the past 3 months has been negative and focused on Bowman/Q not the on-ice product.

Rocky is pissed that he most likely will see only two or three playoff games worth of revenue this season, at best.

I’m told that Rocky told Bowman (through McCub) last week that any trades made better not increase the salary significantly this season. So at this point, the best you can hope for is some minor cosmetic moves that don’t address the team’s problems.

Take it FWIW folks.
http://300level.net/?p=3337

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

the next report that Bowman got a budget...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote