HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke on PTS

Old
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
sangreale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
Cox's balls (lol) disappears when he talks to Burke. why didn't he tell Burke to trade Kessel for Nash
That is exactly the situation on these boards. All the keyboard warriors calling out Burkie and Wilson and if they saw them face to face they would cringe. I was going to write something more colourful but it not make it past the censor. Use your imagination. lol

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Interesting. You just called Burke a liar. If Burke turned out to be telling the truth and I called you a name, would you PM a mod?
If you actually listened/believed all of Burkes comments you would notice that he contradicts himself quite often. It's a necessary evil when dealing with the Toronto media on an almost hourly basis.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
That four first round picks comment is complete nonsense. It's a poor attempt to instill confidence from the GM to the current team that he actually has faith in their ability. Ditto to the supposed Reimer deal he mentioned yesterday. It's all PR.
Maybe you should tell the GM of the Sabres this because he got a 1st for Gaustad.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
1 for mac
1 for schenn
1 for grabbo
1 for kulie
I would have done the one for Mac to me that was a mistake if true for him. Understand the Grabo situation they want to keep him don't blame him for that the other 2 though I think the rest of the year would be telling where at this draft depending on what the team does in making the playoffs or not with what off season changes that will take place it could be revisited on the draft floor.

There is alot to be said that alot of the trade deadline talk ends up as ground work for draft day trades espescially when 1 team is offering picks that's how we ended up with Liles at the draft.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Vibe Funk View Post
Burke said he was offered 4 1st round picks. what the!!??
What are the friggin odds of one of those 1st round picks (which will be in the 15 to 30 range) being any better than Grabo, Mac, Kulie, and Schenn???

Also, why do you think rival GM's were offering them in the first place???

I'm sick and tired of certain posters putting 1st round picks on a pedestal like they're gold or something. Unless this is a top 10 pick that we are talking about, there's no way that Burke should accept any of those deals.

If you're thinking that we could just simply bunch up those picks and move up into the top 10, then you're crazy. Both Bob McKenzie and Craig Button have said that after the top 10, there's a significant drop-off in talent. So getting a pick for any of the above players would end up being not only a lateral move at best, but it will also set back the re-build process another 5 to 6 years.

Why would we do this????

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Maybe you should tell the GM of the Sabres this because he got a 1st for Gaustad.
Gaustad is useful for a contending team. Given the small list of players who Burke would actually move for a 1st, only Grabovski would be worth it for any contender.

Schenn isn't being moved for a 1st. It would be a PR disaster.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:55 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I would have done the one for Mac to me that was a mistake if true for him. Understand the Grabo situation they want to keep him don't blame him for that the other 2 though I think the rest of the year would be telling where at this draft depending on what the team does in making the playoffs or not with what off season changes that will take place it could be revisited on the draft floor.

There is alot to be said that alot of the trade deadline talk ends up as ground work for draft day trades espescially when 1 team is offering picks that's how we ended up with Liles at the draft.
You have to assume any team interested in Mac would be one of the top seeded teams meaning a 25-30th area pick. Mac is more valuable to our team than a player who might not make the Leafs for another 4 years. Heck we now have seven 1st rounders from the last four drafts in our system. We need NHL players not futures. (unless it is a lottery pick)

Last edited by The Messenger: 02-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
If you actually listened/believed all of Burkes comments you would notice that he contradicts himself quite often. It's a necessary evil when dealing with the Toronto media on an almost hourly basis.
It's necessary that he contradicts himself? What?

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
sangreale

Quote:
To tell the truth, I have not seen much contradiction in what he says and does. He seems quite consistent to me.

The Leafs have a real organization in place for the first time .... ever! And he always seems to act in consort with the game plan of said org. There are things to criticize him for ... I am sure, but his honesty would not be one of the things.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
It's necessary that he contradicts himself? What?
When things don't work out he has no alternative. If you haven't noticed by now there's no point in expanding this conversation.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
This is so true. Bob Mcowen is even more balless when he actually gets to talk to people he criticizes.
This. Can't stand Cox or McCown; but at least Cox actually knows something about hockey.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
binop7

I was going to write it out, but that's too much of a pain. I recorded it. Good interview, like the point about a team retaining salary.

http://soundcloud.com/binop7/recording-17904792#

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Gaustad is useful for a contending team. Given the small list of players who Burke would actually move for a 1st, only Grabovski would be worth it for any contender.

Schenn isn't being moved for a 1st. It would be a PR disaster.
Mac is a 60pt winger; Kulemin is also, just slumping this year; and Grabo is Grabo. No doubt Schenn is worth more than a 1st unless you're talking about a lottery 1st. All could help out any Cup contending team. So yeah, Burke is telling the truth.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
"None of your business" is his favorite remark now.

I like Burke. Always have. Its good to put the media in their place. I agree with his stance on the reporter who asked Reimer's Mom about his health, but he needs to learn to take critisicm better. Some things he has absolutely no answers for, like why this team isn't trucculent enough, or what happens to coaching when Wilson doesn't take this team to the playoffs yet again, for which 'None of your business' isn't going to cut it. Not for me at least.

What is his plan? Does anyone really know? I can tell you a lot of contradictory things he says at times.
I think the board would appreciate it a lot if you would do that. Of course provide links too. I'm looking forward to your input on this. Thanks dude.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
You have to assume any team interested in Mac would be one of the top seeded teams meaning a 25-30th area pick. Mac is more valuable to our team than a player who might not make the Leafs for another 4 years. Heck we now have seven 1st rounders from the last four drafts in our system. We need NHL players not futures. (unless it is a lotterry pick)
Kadri can produce just as well as Mac at this point. I'd argue even more so.

Mac's a UFA, and tying 3-3.5 mil in him in the off-season makes little sense, when we need the room for Kadri, Frattin and Ashton...let alone if we've any hope of landing Parise or Nash.

If we had an offer of a 1st for Mac...even if it was the 25th, we should have done it in a second.

I suspect, however, that if we had an offer for Mac, it was likely from Nashville and may have been for the 2nd rounder they gave up for Kostisyn rather than the 1st they gave up for Gaustad.

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Soul Vibe Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
What are the friggin odds of one of those 1st round picks (which will be in the 15 to 30 range) being any better than Grabo, Mac, Kulie, and Schenn???

Also, why do you think rival GM's were offering them in the first place???

I'm sick and tired of certain posters putting 1st round picks on a pedestal like they're gold or something. Unless this is a top 10 pick that we are talking about, there's no way that Burke should accept any of those deals.

If you're thinking that we could just simply bunch up those picks and move up into the top 10, then you're crazy. Both Bob McKenzie and Craig Button have said that after the top 10, there's a significant drop-off in talent. So getting a pick for any of the above players would end up being not only a lateral move at best, but it will also set back the re-build process another 5 to 6 years.

Why would we do this????
Child, calm yourself. Who took a nice big dump in your meal? easy

Soul Vibe Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post

Mac's a UFA, and tying 3-3.5 mil in him in the off-season makes little sense, when we need the room for Kadri, Frattin and Ashton...let alone if we've any hope of landing Parise or Nash.

If we had an offer of a 1st for Mac...even if it was the 25th, we should have done it in a second.

I suspect, however, that if we had an offer for Mac, it was likely from Nashville and may have been for the 2nd rounder they gave up for Kostisyn rather than the 1st they gave up for Gaustad.
Mac is not a UFA till after next season and I am a Kadri fan but to suggest he could be more productive than MacArthur is absurd.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
ClarkieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post

except that he's not a ufa, he got signed to a contract as an rfa during the summer.

ClarkieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Mac is a 60pt winger; Kulemin is also, just slumping this year; and Grabo is Grabo. No doubt Schenn is worth more than a 1st unless you're talking about a lottery 1st. All could help out any Cup contending team. So yeah, Burke is telling the truth.
I'm sure teams were lighting up the phones lines for a chance at acquiring Kulemins six goals, MacArthurs streaky performances, and Schenns ability to cough up the puck multiple times a game. Again, only Grabovski would have garnered a 1st.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiTesla View Post
It isn't like he is calling for these interviews to occur. He is showing up to demands, how can you be mad at a guy who doesn't hide in his office?

You guys just whine about absolutely nothing.

While your head is exploring your inner crevices, I hope you find those peanuts you ate last night.
Good point, how can I be mad at a guy that doesn't hide in his office?... That's probably the reason why I'm mad at the guy... All he does is spread his propaganda. Maybe he should stay in his office and do the things he talks about.... There are an abundance of Burke quotes that I can refer too... A team is either rapidly going up the standing or going down in the standings.... My teams play a certain way, with truculence and yada yada....missing the playoffs is like a kick in the crotch....I'm not intrested in a 5 year rebuild....Our goal is to trade up and draft Tavares.... I build my teams from the net out... My teams have a top 6 and a bottom 6, those are the lunch pale guys that play tough hockey.... The roster I inherited was soft and didnt stick up for one another... Gunnerson and Frattin are Fergies picks...

Everyone of those quotes either have no substance, do not have relevance on the team he has built, and are completely off with reality. He needs to get intouch with reality this team is soft, have no chance at being a contender in the next 2 years which will bring his fast rebuild into year 5-6. His defense sucks and is soooo overrated that his 4.5 million dollar signing is in the press box. He has overpaid for every free agent signing and has crippled the team because of them.

The really question though is when will you take your head out of your asss and smell the Brian Burke Bullshat that is flowing out his mouth at a ridicules pace.

Having said that, he has done a good job stocking up our farm, and he did walk into a mess. But the focus has been on winning and rebuilding when it should have been on losing and rebuilding. His focus should be on building the Brian Burke team that he advertised, not be happy with a softer version of the team he took over. And if you can't do what you say then shut dafuk up and figure out ways to get the job freakin done. Enough of the excuses, enough of the rhetoric, enough of the same Burke cliches, enough of the selling, enough of the lawyer scat... Just shut up and do your job!! Just shutdafuk up and do what you promised!! Bring the freaking parade home.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:22 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
I'm sure teams were lighting up the phones lines for a chance at acquiring Kulemins six goals, MacArthurs streaky performances, and Schenns ability to cough up the puck multiple times a game. Again, only Grabovski would have garnered a 1st.
If Kulie, Mac, Grabs and Schenn were not all having off years they would each fetch much more than a first rounder. I don't find it a stretch at all that there was 1st round interest for any of them.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Vibe Funk View Post
Child, calm yourself. Who took a nice big dump in your meal? easy
Hey bra, I'm chilaxed out just like you.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
JackJ

Quote:
If Kulie, Mac, Grabs and Schenn were not all having off years
But the reality is they are.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post

The first round pick for Mac was conditional. So who knew what the condition was.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
If Kulie, Mac, Grabs and Schenn were not all having off years they would each fetch much more than a first rounder. I don't find it a stretch at all that there was 1st round interest for any of them.
It is supposed to be a very weak draft. Keep in mind Paul Gaustad got a first.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote