HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Welcome to the Bandwagon" Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Personal experiment time!

Im curious what your pre-conceived ideas of the Predators are. How are we seen by other fanbases? Do you still hear quips about our attendance in Montreal and Buffalo? If you bring up the Preds to the average fan in a "traditional market", what response do you get?

Im excited to see how your ideas change!
Habs fans don't ever really have reason to make fun of Nashville, but in general I'm sure you know your attendance is usually target of a lot of jokes, not as much as Phoenix though. Habs fans make fun of TBL/Florida attendance a lot, because the crowd is 95% Habs fans when we play there, two of our unofficial home arenas. Your fanbase's hockey knowledge is usually called into question, mostly because it's hard to explain just how engrained into culture hockey is in not just Montreal, but Canada as a whole, we even make Boston look like they don't care about hockey. But those are unfair claims as I'm sure those who know their hockey are just as knowledgable as passionate Habs fans, as reflected here.

I think most people get the impression that the Preds organization isn't very committed to winning, basically just been floating as first round cannon-fodder for the Wings/Sharks/Hawks and the rest of the high-profile Western teams. But people are starting to get the sense that Nashville is trying to cement themselves as a legitimate threat in the West, not content with the middle-of-the-pack ways on recent history, and so most people view the Preds as a hungry up-and-coming team

I think that's a pretty average view of the Preds from a non-Preds fan POV.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
boots electric

Sabres fan here, officially jumping on the bandwagon.

I will say though, I do have family down in Nashville and have been to a number of Preds games over the years (including a few from the postseason), so they've always been one of my "unofficial" favorites for one reason or another. Now that you've picked up Goose, who was one of my favorite players here in Buffalo, it only makes sense to hop on board.

I'll probably be headed down to Nashville again at some point in the playoffs to catch a game or two.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

@RoyBoy, I'll have a Twitter up soon. It'll probably just be @ThirdManInPreds. Minus the "Preds" part if ThirdManIn isn't taken.

@Qui Gon, don't worry much about any idiots that wander past. There are folks who can handle that

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Sabres fan here, officially jumping on the bandwagon.

I will say though, I do have family down in Nashville and have been to a number of Preds games over the years (including a few from the postseason), so they've always been one of my "unofficial" favorites for one reason or another. Now that you've picked up Goose, who was one of my favorite players here in Buffalo, it only makes sense to hop on board.

I'll probably be headed down to Nashville again at some point in the playoffs to catch a game or two.
If you come down let us know. You'll probably get a free beer or three

Old
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Had some time, so I made this really quick. Anyone can feel free to take it. I'll make a Buffalo one in a sec, then maybe some more generic ones and a few player specific. If anyone wants a certain player done (Habs, Sabres, or any other team) let me know!

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

haha Les Canadiens des Nashville. Or as the Quebecois may say it.....Nosh-vee? Is my pronunciation right?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
haha Les Canadiens des Nashville. Or as the Quebecois may say it.....Nosh-vee? Is my pronunciation right?
On that note...did I spell everything right on that? Not exactly a fluent-French speaker....

Old
02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Made a Gill one.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
On that note...did I spell everything right on that? Not exactly a fluent-French speaker....
Pretty sure it's right. I mean after all I took French 1 in high school.............twice.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:28 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Panthers in the east, Preds in the West. Lets do it big!

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Panthers in the east, Preds in the West. Lets do it big!
I'm the same way. I was an intern for the Panthers during the 09-10 season so I'll always like them. Respect.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
- Is Erat the single greatest surname in the history of the Preds.
Andrew "Bubba" Berenzweig
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=14457

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
there's no french equivalent to Nashville so we pronounce it the way it should, in english... well with a little accent probably

Predators does have a french equivalent though -> Prédateurs.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
there's no french equivalent to Nashville so we pronounce it the way it should, in english... well with a little accent probably

Predators does have a french equivalent though -> Prédateurs.
True, I forgot about the 'no equivalent, no change in pronunciation' rule. I pick up on certain things in Spanish and they're the same way as I assume most languages are. Also, Predateurs sounds slightly awesome.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
True, I forgot about the 'no equivalent, no change in pronunciation' rule. I pick up on certain things in Spanish and they're the same way as I assume most languages are. Also, Predateurs sounds slightly awesome.
In Arabic Nashville would be نشفيل

pronounced nashfeel... or something close to that. There is no letter that would sound like a V in Arabic, so you replace it with the "faa" (ف) which has a similar sound to our F. There is no I, and the "yaa" (ي) sounds kind of like a Y or a long E.

yeah I'm just showing off

Old
02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
In Arabic Nashville would be نشفيل

pronounced nashfeel... or something close to that. There is no letter that would sound like a V in Arabic, so you replace it with the "faa" (ف) which has a similar sound to our F. There is no I, and the "yaa" (ي) sounds kind of like a Y or a long E.

yeah I'm just showing off
haha I don't have a freakin' clue how to follow things without the typical alphabet. Props to you.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:32 PM
SEALBound

Penguins fan here. Love the moves you guys made. Really pullin for you guys in the west!

Just curious as to what your line combos look like now...?

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:51 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Penguins fan here. Love the moves you guys made. Really pullin for you guys in the west!

Just curious as to what your line combos look like now...?
Don't really know yet. Last night was just nothing but shuffling. Maybe after some practices we'll know better on Saturday.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Finnpin

I'm in when Ducks go golfing.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
landman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Oh, Bubba. Didn't he get a hat trick against the WIngs? I remember Tencrat had a hatty against the Wings but I thought Bubba did too. Wasn't he reported missing and later found dead or am I dreaming that?

landman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
FoSotC

Quote:
Do you still hear quips about our attendance in Montreal and Buffalo?
Not that I've heard here in Buffalo, no. In particular, I remember a lot of people making positive comments about your fans during the playoffs last season.
Quote:
If you bring up the Preds to the average fan in a "traditional market", what response do you get?
Depends on the market I guess. I've seen some disdain towards a team being in Nashville by some Canadian fans who are in favor of less teams in the US (particularly the Sun Belt) and more teams in Canada, but it's not a big number to draw from; I definitely don't feel like I can say it's a majority opinion. I've seen just as many, if not more Canadian fans talking about Nashville and its fans/success in a positive light.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:18 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman1 View Post
Oh, Bubba. Didn't he get a hat trick against the WIngs? I remember Tencrat had a hatty against the Wings but I thought Bubba did too. Wasn't he reported missing and later found dead or am I dreaming that?
Bubba left his AHL team(Utah Grizzlies) without permission and was suspended, effectively ending his hockey career. But he's not dead, or anything bad..

Tenkrats hatty was against Chicago, back when they were the doormat of the NHL(2001)

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
www.ontheforecheck.com is my personal favorite....
Thanks for those, I'll keep an eye on them

Quote:
Personal experiment time!

Im curious what your pre-conceived ideas of the Predators are. How are we seen by other fanbases? Do you still hear quips about our attendance in Montreal and Buffalo? If you bring up the Preds to the average fan in a "traditional market", what response do you get?

Im excited to see how your ideas change!
I think currently in the Habs fan base, Nashville are fairly well respected right now and in the past couple of years a number of the fans are quite informed on your team. I think there are a few things that help raise awareness of what goes on with your team in the Habs fanbase and earn you some respect.

For starters, having Trotz and Poile remain as coach/GM for so long gets you some respect. The team may not have made the playoffs for a number of years at first, but since then you have been there regularly. Ownership could have cast either aside in the hopes of better results quicker but they stuck with them and have encouraging results to show for it. They clearly trust them to get the best out of the players/staff and take them to the next level. To a fan of another team (at the very least to me) that says they made good decisions hiring them and don't want to meddle with the team so it's all being run well. It may have taken a while to get out of the first round of the playoffs but from an outside perspective, it looks like things will improve before they get worse.

Speaking of a well run team, you seem to be at good in the drafting department. I don't really know your system in much detail, but you keep replacing players from with your org and you are good at drafting and developing talent for the back end. Seriously, without knowing the specfics, it's as if you have a factory. I'm not sure how you have fared with skilled forwards (you seem to have struggled a bit in that regard but I'm not sure how many of those types you have had in the past) but you seem to have a steady stream of two way forwards and energy guys coming through as well. Your system seems to mirror the Habs in that respect. We are good at the draft and developing, maybe even great, except for getting/developing high end forwards. Goalies, dmen and two way/depth guys we have had bucket loads of lately. So it's another plus for your org and points towards it being run well, earning respect.

You've also been able to keep hold of some players for a while now (Legwand, Erat, Tootoo). They cold have gone elsewhere to seek better results but they obviously see enough in the city, the org and the fans to stay on for the future. And now you are trying to do the same with the higher profile section of your core (Weber, Suter, Rinne). It all suggests that your team is a good environment to play in and I think more fans are starting to pick up on that in recent years.

And you have also added a couple of Habs in recent years. Cube and SK both had their detractors in Montreal but they also had some loyal fans who followed them once they moved on. On the Habs board, you sometimes pick up on things those fans have observed of your team and city. And now you've added a couple more guys from the Habs so that will continue.

As far as the perception of your fanbase and attendance, I think in recent years that has improved around the Habs fanbase. Recent playoff runs (especially last year) really highlighted how good a crowd you have these days (I'm not sure how it compares to a few years ago) and I think it was a similar case for Carolina a few years earlier. Plus, when we finally get to play in Nashville, our fans don't buy 2/3rds the tickets like in some places. As a target for Habs fans jibes, some of the south east division teams and the Isles will always be picked out before you guys and the same for a couple more teams out west where attedances seem to evaporate in the south. There may still be some ill informed folks who lump you into the mix with teams who struggle for attendance, on ice success or identity but I think a lot of the fanbase (at least on here) sees the Preds as a team coming into their own.

Ask a Habs fan about Nashville and I think they could point out certain things about the identity of your team and city. It's music city. You have guitar strings on the numbers of your jerseys and a plectrum on your shoulder. Although you don't have a huge threat up front, the team builds from the back with strong goaltending and strong defence. You have a passionate crowd that can make some noise. That is the Nashville way, it seems. You have your own way that can be identified. Ask a Habs fan to do the same for, say, Columbus and I think the majority of the answers won't be so clear cut or positive. And as I said before, it looks like your org is on the way up, not stagnant or on the way down and that is a credit to the hockey community in Nashville and the Preds org. Honestly, I think you've got a good rep in Habs land that seems to improve a bit each year.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

^^^^^awesome post

Old
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
haha I don't have a freakin' clue how to follow things without the typical alphabet. Props to you.
Reading from right to left was no picnic to learn, either. It still trips me up

@Qui Gon, the core group of Preds fans who have been with this organization for years now have always been passionate and loud at games. For a long time the seats seemed empty, but the crowds were still rockin'. The reason for that was the lack of corporate support to fill the lower bowl (i.e. the seats that show up on tv cameras), but a very healthy support from individual fans. I think the average ratio around the league was 6:4 corporate to individuals. Here it was almost exactly the opposite. Now that the local boys have taken control of the team they have made huge strides in repairing relationships that were fractured by Leipold's regime. It feels great as a long time Preds fan who remembers having to deal with talk of relocation daily, from every direction

With that said, I wouldn't trade the rough times for anything, probably not even a Cup (but it'd be close). I think those years pulled the core fan base together tighter than even winning the all could have done. We are a family now. We cheer together like a family. We get down together like a family. We fight and bicker and claw at each other like a family