HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke on PTS

Old
02-28-2012, 05:28 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
If you actually listened/believed all of Burkes comments you would notice that he contradicts himself quite often. It's a necessary evil when dealing with the Toronto media on an almost hourly basis.
GM's lie to the media all of the time, those that don't are the ones who don't talk to the media at all.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Northern Dancer

Quote:
But the reality is they are.
I think you missed my point.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
GM's lie to the media all of the time, those that don't are the ones who don't talk to the media at all.
Exactly. I have no issues with it but fans should know better then to hold it against him in a "what if" scenario at a later date.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
It is supposed to be a very weak draft. Keep in mind Paul Gaustad got a first.
The only reason he did get that first though IMO is that Pollie decided that this was the year that they were going all in.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
If Kulie, Mac, Grabs and Schenn were not all having off years they would each fetch much more than a first rounder. I don't find it a stretch at all that there was 1st round interest for any of them.
How many firsts were traded at the deadline?? 1 lol teams get it now..Burke is blowing smoke up all your ***** AGAIN...

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
I'm sure teams were lighting up the phones lines for a chance at acquiring Kulemins six goals, MacArthurs streaky performances, and Schenns ability to cough up the puck multiple times a game. Again, only Grabovski would have garnered a 1st.
So Paul Gaustad is worth more than Luke Schenn in your mind...

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
How many firsts were traded at the deadline?? 1 lol teams get it now..Burke is blowing smoke up all your ***** AGAIN...
Aren't you arguing against yourself?

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
To Nashville yes he was dont you get it...

Old
02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
showtime8

I don't know how people can say that this is a weak draft?

Noone exactly knows if this draft is going to be good or bad. I've heard that it could be the best draft in the past decade.

Anyways, I'm glad that Burke didn't trade away the 2nd line. He does need to rid himself of contracts this off-season or this team will look no different next year. No hope for prospects. No FA coming in.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Aren't you arguing against yourself?
basically i am lol

Old
02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
sure buddy

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
LeaffanDM

Quote:
I'd take gaustad over any of the plugs we have in the bottom six. he would be a beast 3rd line center.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I don't know how people can say that this is a weak draft?

Noone exactly knows if this draft is going to be good or bad. I've heard that it could be the best draft in the past decade.

Anyways, I'm glad that Burke didn't trade away the 2nd line. He does need to rid himself of contracts this off-season or this team will look no different next year. No hope for prospects. No FA coming in.

That's the 2013 draft that you're thinking of.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Mac is a 60pt winger; Kulemin is also, just slumping this year; and Grabo is Grabo. No doubt Schenn is worth more than a 1st unless you're talking about a lottery 1st. All could help out any Cup contending team. So yeah, Burke is telling the truth.
a little disingenuous to call these two guys 60-point players, isn't it?

macarthur has hit 60 points once in his career. he isn't on pace for 50 this year. kulemin has never hit 60 points, and is on pace for 35 this year.

if all was to go well for these guys, they are capable of hitting 60 points in a season. but they are not reliable, consistent 60-point players. a team could never depend on either of them for 60 points.

if burke had the chance to trade macarthur for a first round pick, he absolutely should have. macarthur doesn't bring anything special to the table and is quite easily replaced. a useful player, but not at all a valuable player.

but i don't believe for a second that burke could have landed 4 first round picks yesterday, and don't believe he had an offer for reimer.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Quote:
This.

Besides, Burke won't move him for draft picks only.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
This is so true. Bob Mcowen is even more balless when he actually gets to talk to people he criticizes.
I try and listen to the PTS podcast each day at work, and while a lot of people have been bashing burkie, especially the callers, Bob has been mostly defending him or saying stuff that burke himself has not already stated. He said the other day he would grade Burke's tenure to date with an F, but burke himself has said that. Until he makes the playoffs, he gets an F.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
Good point, how can I be mad at a guy that doesn't hide in his office?... That's probably the reason why I'm mad at the guy... All he does is spread his propaganda. Maybe he should stay in his office and do the things he talks about.... There are an abundance of Burke quotes that I can refer too... A team is either rapidly going up the standing or going down in the standings.... My teams play a certain way, with truculence and yada yada....missing the playoffs is like a kick in the crotch....I'm not intrested in a 5 year rebuild....Our goal is to trade up and draft Tavares.... I build my teams from the net out... My teams have a top 6 and a bottom 6, those are the lunch pale guys that play tough hockey.... The roster I inherited was soft and didnt stick up for one another... Gunnerson and Frattin are Fergies picks...

Everyone of those quotes either have no substance, do not have relevance on the team he has built, and are completely off with reality. He needs to get intouch with reality this team is soft, have no chance at being a contender in the next 2 years which will bring his fast rebuild into year 5-6. His defense sucks and is soooo overrated that his 4.5 million dollar signing is in the press box. He has overpaid for every free agent signing and has crippled the team because of them.

The really question though is when will you take your head out of your asss and smell the Brian Burke Bullshat that is flowing out his mouth at a ridicules pace.

Having said that, he has done a good job stocking up our farm, and he did walk into a mess. But the focus has been on winning and rebuilding when it should have been on losing and rebuilding. His focus should be on building the Brian Burke team that he advertised, not be happy with a softer version of the team he took over. And if you can't do what you say then shut dafuk up and figure out ways to get the job freakin done. Enough of the excuses, enough of the rhetoric, enough of the same Burke cliches, enough of the selling, enough of the lawyer scat... Just shut up and do your job!! Just shutdafuk up and do what you promised!! Bring the freaking parade home.
I think you have hit the bonanza here!!!! How exciting!!! I can't believe no one else ever realized that the focus should have been on losing!!! How can we ever look ourselves in the mirror again? We are so stupid!!!!

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:50 PM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
I think the board would appreciate it a lot if you would do that. Of course provide links too. I'm looking forward to your input on this. Thanks dude.
How about just plain inaccurate instead of contradictory?

Burke and Wilson obviously have had a few heart to hearts in the past few days and decided to come up with a standard line of ********* to cover for their incompetence.

You see, these hard done by Leafs are under so much pressure at deadline time, that you just can't blame them for collapsing at the most important time of the year.

And this nugget of ********* from Burke:

I think its remarkable that players have kept their focus through this time."

Well, no, blowhard, clearly they haven't kept their focus.

And speaking of contradictory, if Wilson and Burke are in such agreement about what a horrific situation the tender, sensitive Leafs are in while in Toronto around deadline time, aren't the criticisms Wilson has directed at his players recently, in fact, contradictory?

Either they are hard done by, battered souls, or they should suck it up and play like their million dollar contracts demand.

Perhaps if we saw Wilson tenderly cradling Phaneuf after a loss and telling him how difficult it all is, then this gutless excuse would have more validity.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
hahahaha what

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:54 PM
UFancyHuh

for those who missed it

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...28_173137_8324

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
1 for mac
1 for schenn
1 for grabbo
1 for kulie
Not sure he would have got a first round pick for Kulie. Maybe the offer was for Gunnarson or Gardiner.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
How about just plain inaccurate instead of contradictory?

Burke and Wilson obviously have had a few heart to hearts in the past few days and decided to come up with a standard line of ********* to cover for their incompetence.

You see, these hard done by Leafs are under so much pressure at deadline time, that you just can't blame them for collapsing at the most important time of the year.

And this nugget of ********* from Burke:

“I think it’s remarkable that players have kept their focus through this time."

Well, no, blowhard, clearly they haven't kept their focus.

And speaking of contradictory, if Wilson and Burke are in such agreement about what a horrific situation the tender, sensitive Leafs are in while in Toronto around deadline time, aren't the criticisms Wilson has directed at his players recently, in fact, contradictory?

Either they are hard done by, battered souls, or they should suck it up and play like their million dollar contracts demand.

Perhaps if we saw Wilson tenderly cradling Phaneuf after a loss and telling him how difficult it all is, then this gutless excuse would have more validity.
Shoot I thought you were going to compile a list with links. Oh well.

In any event I don't disagree, thing is virtually every GM in every sport talks out of both sides of their mouth. Not saying it's right or that I like it but it is a fact.

Rather then get bothered by it though I elect to just listen and laugh and then move on.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:12 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Kadri can produce just as well as Mac at this point. I'd argue even more so.

Mac's a UFA, and tying 3-3.5 mil in him in the off-season makes little sense, when we need the room for Kadri, Frattin and Ashton...let alone if we've any hope of landing Parise or Nash.

If we had an offer of a 1st for Mac...even if it was the 25th, we should have done it in a second.

I suspect, however, that if we had an offer for Mac, it was likely from Nashville and may have been for the 2nd rounder they gave up for Kostisyn rather than the 1st they gave up for Gaustad.
I would like to get some of the drugs you are on. Kadri has done NOTHING as an NHL player, and has struggled to even stay in the lineup. Yet here you are saying he's equal or (oh man) better able to contribute to the team than MacArthur? Really? I'll have some green eggs and ham along with the crazy. Kadri had about 4 or 5 good games as an NHL player so far in his pro career. This is just insanity.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
I think you have hit the bonanza here!!!! How exciting!!! I can't believe no one else ever realized that the focus should have been on losing!!! How can we ever look ourselves in the mirror again? We are so stupid!!!!
You take 1 sentence out of an entire rant. Yes we should have been focused on bottoming out for a few years just like every other team does when it is a crap team with no prospects, and a complete overhaul of the roster is needed. Even your savior Burke said 'a team is either rapidly climbing up the ladder or going down the ladder' we have been around 10th in the conference every year except the 2nd last place finish that we provided Boston with. This year will be no different and if Burke doesn't fill major holes on the d-line, goal crease and the entire 3rd line, half the second line and down the middle of the first line.

But ya your right top 3 picks wouldn't of helped us at all, giving out our picks and drafting around 10 is a better idea.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaffanDM View Post
I'd take gaustad over any of the plugs we have in the bottom six. he would be a beast 3rd line center.
beast is completely overused and lost all its meaning

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote