HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"In Bob we trust"

Old
02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
"In Bob we trust"

Where are all those posts now ?

And the classic sarcastic "Gainey " one liner posts ?

Where are they ?

Gainey failed us in his summer of madness. Yet, countless defenders came to the rescue : "If we hadn't bent over to acquire the overpaid piece of crap that is Gomez we wouldn't have Gionta and Cammy" could be read fairly often on these boards. Well, Cammy turned out to be a prima donna that we had to trade away and Gionta is a silent leader who doesn't really have the on ice impact to be a silent captain and he also happens to be overpaid quite a bit. And that's the man we decided to replace Koivu with. Sad. Let's not even talk about the horrible gifts of Ribeiro, Latendresse and the failure to recognize a good thing in Streit.

But probably the worst move Gainey made... appoint vegan skeletor™ as his successor.

I'll always respect the man. I'll always respect the player. This thread isn't made to crap on the GM either. This is merely payback for all the "Gainey " ridiculous sarcastic posts and to wake some people up.

Can we finally come to conclusion that Gainey failed us as a GM ? Failed us big time ? Can we get a mea culpa from the management apologists ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aside from Gomez, all the other acquisitions did good by us:

Cammalleri
Gionta
Moen
Gill
Martin

If we still had Muller and a player of Markov's caliber (losing Wiz and Hamrlik as backup plans), we wouldn't be where we are today.

/apologist

I still think Bob did great. Always compare with what he was given, and what he left to his successor.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

Cammalleri
Gionta
Moen
Gill
Martin

If we still had Muller and a player of Markov's caliber (losing Wiz and Hamrlik as backup plans), we wouldn't be where we are today.

/apologist

I still think Bob did great. Always compare with what he was given, and what he left to his successor.

Only Gionta and Moen are left ( Moen was probably getting dealt if it wasn't for his injury). So how can you say those were good ?. Those three guys didn't even last that long.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I just fear to see that he's going to be around again next year. Just like I fear to see Gauthier still with the job the upcoming year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
coolasprICE

Have you ever thought maybe, JUST maybe, that landing a top 5 pick, possible top 2-3, was part of the Gainey Master Plan?

Eh? Did you think of that one ??? That's right...

2012/2013...

Price
PK Subban
Max Pac
Elite ''lotto'' prospect (center?)
Eller
DD
Emelin

This team is oozing with potential and who do we have to ''TANK''?....

BOB GAINEY (and AnorexicMan™ )

*And notable mention.... Gomez. Let's not forget Gomez's contribution....
Let's say Gomez was a worth half his salary instead of 5 percent. what would have that given us? 8th place... and a 1st / 2nd round elimination.

GO HABS GO

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Drive425

Let it go man. It's theraputic to release all the hate and pent up frustration. Can you imagine what will happen if he took over again? LOL!!!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Where are all those posts now ?

And the classic sarcastic "Gainey " one liner posts ?

Where are they ?

Gainey failed us in his summer of madness. Yet, countless defenders came to the rescue : "If we hadn't bent over to acquire the overpaid piece of crap that is Gomez we wouldn't have Gionta and Cammy" could be read fairly often on these boards. Well, Cammy turned out to be a prima donna that we had to trade away and Gionta is a silent leader who doesn't really have the on ice impact to be a silent captain and he also happens to be overpaid quite a bit. And that's the man we decided to replace Koivu with. Sad. Let's not even talk about the horrible gifts of Ribeiro, Latendresse and the failure to recognize a good thing in Streit.

But probably the worst move Gainey made... appoint vegan skeletor™ as his successor.

I'll always respect the man. I'll always respect the player. This thread isn't made to crap on the GM either. This is merely payback for all the "Gainey " ridiculous sarcastic posts and to wake some people up.

Can we finally come to conclusion that Gainey failed us as a GM ? Failed us big time ? Can we get a mea culpa from the management apologists ?
I actually thought Gainey was a pretty decent GM for the first half of his tenure. He fell apart in the 2nd half and just should've left after his personal tragedy. He did some good things but ultimately undid a lot of them with poor asset management.

Anyways, if we ever do win a cup his fingerprints will be on it as Price will be a key player and that's on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

Cammalleri
Gionta
Moen
Gill
Martin

/apologist

What about the non-acquisitions where we let our players leave for nothing? Crazy amount of talent let go with no return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Have you ever thought maybe, JUST maybe, that landing a top 5 pick, possible top 2-3, was part of the Gainey Master Plan?

Eh? Did you think of that one ??? That's right...
I'm guessing you're probably kidding, but even if you are... why trade McD if that was the plan? I get trading for Gomez and all the other stuff but if you're looking to secretly rebuild you don't give up your best prospect in the process.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Those were iirc mostly after we went to the final 4 of the NHL with that core of players. Certainly not saying Gainey was perfect as a GM as he was far from it, but he did push us further then the Habs have been since the year I was born (93).

Every GM has mistakes on their repitoire. We're going through a tough phase but I still wouldn't say we're terribly run. Wait until next season, if we rebound (which I think we have too much talent not to) I'd say it was a Philli-esque failure this year, but if we don't then we can be worried a bit.

We still have the best < 25 goalie in the NHL, one of the best young dmen and a good young scorer in Patches. Nothing to be too worried about just yet. One bad year isn't the do all end all.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Gros Bonhomme
Benoit Brunet #1 Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Gros Bonhomme
Skeletor.. lol.

Gros Bonhomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Gainey failed us in acquiring Gomez. The rest, even slight overpayment for UFAs, is no big deal. Gainey's team brought us to one of the best runs we had in a while.

Again, it DOES NOT remove the fail of Gomez he created, but please, if we mention ribeiro and latendresse we can mention other failures across the league as well in terms of young players and other GMs such as Gauthier with sergei, d'agostini, etc.. as giving up on young players or whatever. Not that I agree too much with it because stuff happens and no team is perfect. However, we do expect our organization to be held at a higher standard and these losses are unforunate especially when you consider the return.

There's highs and lows with Gainey's tenure. He had a vision and our team got better as time progressed. The one stop UFA rebuild was odd. If you're gonna rebuild the team from scratch, add franchise players, not former good players like Gomez. Granted, gomez was never supposed to be this bad, but fact remains, it was a strange decision.

I think the pressures involved with the habs GM position aren't taken seriously by the fans. The year gainey rebuilt the team, it should've been a youth movement and a fresh start. Instead, it was an instant "lets put new vets in" solution. One that helped us, and limited us as well.

I think it's important to recognize that Gainey gave us one of the deepest prospect pools we had in a while and team improved but it does not go without his faults. Unfortunately for Gainey, his legacy as a GM is ruined by a major bone head move in Gomez.

I like Gainey, I really do, but I would not be opposed to new and fresh voices in the organization. If we want a new era of habs, they should seek new voices.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

He started to lose my trust after the Tanguay trade, lost pretty much all of it after the Gomez trade, and the Latendresse trade finished it off. His final year and a half with the team was awful no denying that. But before it, the sarcasm was warranted. Unless now you're going to use hindsight and say you always knew he was going to have that melt down.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I still say he did more good than bad.

Many of you obviously weren't as big fans of the team before he got here. You know that feeling you get watching these games and they are losing all the time and being mocked, well that was what it was like between 96 and 2003. Every year sucked, we were the laughing stock of the league, Gainey brought some pride and respectability back to the organization. I will always respect him for that, and what he did as a player, the mean spirited things people say about him are embarrassing and make our fanbase look bad.

He wasn't perfect and I didn't agree with all his moves but I sure like watching PK, Price, Patches, and Emelin, oh and playoff hockey, because we got to watch lots while he was here.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

You and I should form a support group, because we were ridiculed for bashing Gainey. There weren't many of us, but we stood strong. STRONG!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He started to lose my trust after the Tanguay trade, lost pretty much all of it after the Gomez trade, and the Latendresse trade finished it off. His final year and a half with the team was awful no denying that. But before it, the sarcasm was warranted. Unless now you're going to use hindsight and say you always knew he was going to have that melt down.
I liked Tanguay. He wasn't without his flaws though.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NORiculous

One thing I can say is that Bob got more out of his players then Gauthier does. When things were shaky. He would take a " Kovalev walk" and things would fall back into place. The team he got from Houle was horrible, yet he made them over achieve.

When you remove a leader from a team, you get lost followers. And since he has left, that is exactly what the Habs are.

Now he is not perfect, far from it, but it is always easier to comment on moves afterwards.

Leadership is everything and Gauthier dons!t have any. I would bet that not one sigle player cares about "doing goog for Gauthier" which was not the case when Gainey was gm.

People talk about pride, " where has the pride gone" .. Pride comes from leadership. No human being wants to follow a ******** that has a badly placed ego. Pride to be part of a group run by a leader or a bunch of leaders. That's why the Habs have kept the beliveau's and the Lafelur's around. But it is not enough. It all starts with your owner and your GM.

Once you have that leadship, then you add a team to help the leader in his leading task.

Show me any org whatsoever that has succes, and there will be a leader there.

Boivin didn't need to know a thing about hockey, he needed to know the players would play for his GM.

There has gone the pride. Even a team with the best talent will fail with no leadership and that leadership needs to start in the office before it happens on the ice.

My 2 cents.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I still say he did more good than bad.

Many of you obviously weren't as big fans of the team before he got here. You know that feeling you get watching these games and they are losing all the time and being mocked, well that was what it was like between 96 and 2003. Every year sucked, we were the laughing stock of the league, Gainey brought some pride and respectability back to the organization. I will always respect him for that, and what he did as a player, the mean spirited things people say about him are embarrassing and make our fanbase look bad.

He wasn't perfect and I didn't agree with all his moves but I sure like watching PK, Price, Patches, and Emelin, oh and playoff hockey, because we got to watch lots while he was here.
Agreed. I understand the Ribeiro and Gomez trades were awful.. but a lot of the people complaining about him weren't here for that "Dark Era", or they simply don't remember it. It was horrible.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Gainey failed us in acquiring Gomez. The rest, even slight overpayment for UFAs, is no big deal. Gainey's team brought us to one of the best runs we had in a while.

Again, it DOES NOT remove the fail of Gomez he created, but please, if we mention ribeiro and latendresse we can mention other failures across the league as well in terms of young players and other GMs such as Gauthier with sergei, d'agostini, etc.. as giving up on young players or whatever. Not that I agree too much with it because stuff happens and no team is perfect. However, we do expect our organization to be held at a higher standard and these losses are unforunate especially when you consider the return.

There's highs and lows with Gainey's tenure. He had a vision and our team got better as time progressed. The one stop UFA rebuild was odd. If you're gonna rebuild the team from scratch, add franchise players, not former good players like Gomez. Granted, gomez was never supposed to be this bad, but fact remains, it was a strange decision.

I think the pressures involved with the habs GM position aren't taken seriously by the fans. The year gainey rebuilt the team, it should've been a youth movement and a fresh start. Instead, it was an instant "lets put new vets in" solution. One that helped us, and limited us as well.

I think it's important to recognize that Gainey gave us one of the deepest prospect pools we had in a while and team improved but it does not go without his faults. Unfortunately for Gainey, his legacy as a GM is ruined by a major bone head move in Gomez.

I like Gainey, I really do, but I would not be opposed to new and fresh voices in the organization. If we want a new era of habs, they should seek new voices.
As awful as the Gomez trade was (and it was terrible) it wasn't his biggest failure. His biggest failure was the systematic way that he consistently let players leave for little to no return. I can see it for one or two but look at some of the players that walked for nothing or next to nothing...

Souray
Koivu
Kovalev
Tanguay
Ribeiro
Higgins
Komisarek
Ryder
SK

That is... not good. Also, he got Samsonov so...

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Whoever replace Gauthier I gave him 2 weeks before he start getting bashed by our awesome fanbase

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 0
Quote:
his first season and only season here whenever he seem to get hot he got hurt

i would have atleast resigned him though

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I felt he was straying away from what helped the team be successful, keeping picks/prospects and building from within. The fact that in hindsight we let go of Tanguay for nothing and the 2008/2009 drafts were strong and deep makes me hate it more.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You and I should form a support group, because we were ridiculed for bashing Gainey. There weren't many of us, but we stood strong. STRONG!
I'm not a frequent poster, but I've been very critical of Gainey throughout his tenure as GM.

To those who claim Gainey brought the Habs back to respectability, I have to disagree. Andre Savard was building a solid foundation when he was pushed aside to make way for Gainey. Unfortunately, Gainey's poor asset management undid most of the work that Savard had done.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:24 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Gainey was an awful GM...point-blank-period. Bad move after bad move and his "fans" ate it up. Now they're doing the same with Gauthier.

His stupid policy of not negotiating during the season has cost us so many assets it's not even funny.

I will always have respect for him, I will always like him...but as a GM he was awful.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Coach Brisebois*

In Bob We Trust

He got us where we are... bottom of the barrel once again, but not stocked with fading talents. Our younger players are good. Yeah we thought that about Ryder, Higgins, and Komisarek... but they are all still in the NHL so they aren't that bad. PK, Price, Pax... We've got a triple-P of players that are going to get better. We have others waiting to start showing the same signs: Emelin, Diaz, Weber, White, Leblanc, Eller. They've all been good at times, but they could still regress. We have a strong vet core going forward of Plekanec, Gorges, and Cole. While the two G's are only with us two more years. We still need to see if Desharnais can keep it up, but he's had a very strong year so far, Bourque will have to impress us next year, and Markov will be a difference maker (one way or the other). So, while Bob didn't get us the cup, he made a try for it and gave us a future in the end.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
He got us where we are... bottom of the barrel once again, but not stocked with fading talents. Our younger players are good. Yeah we thought that about Ryder, Higgins, and Komisarek... but they are all still in the NHL so they aren't that bad. PK, Price, Pax... We've got a triple-P of players that are going to get better. We have others waiting to start showing the same signs: Emelin, Diaz, Weber, White, Leblanc, Eller. They've all been good at times, but they could still regress. We have a strong vet core going forward of Plekanec, Gorges, and Cole. While the two G's are only with us two more years. We still need to see if Desharnais can keep it up, but he's had a very strong year so far, Bourque will have to impress us next year, and Markov will be a difference maker (one way or the other). So, while Bob didn't get us the cup, he made a try for it and gave us a future in the end.
The issue is the lack of high-end talent in our prospect pool. Yes, picking top 5 helps that, but we need more. A lot of good 3rd liners, but not too many 1st and 2nd liners. Which is why we pay through the nose in free agency.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I'm not a frequent poster, but I've been very critical of Gainey throughout his tenure as GM.

To those who claim Gainey brought the Habs back to respectability, I have to disagree. Andre Savard was building a solid foundation when he was pushed aside to make way for Gainey. Unfortunately, Gainey's poor asset management undid most of the work that Savard had done.
Savard wanted Gilbert Brule instead of Price... So there goes your theory.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote