HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

sad day for me as a long time habs fan

Old
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
I agree with the analysis that if :

1) all of our prospects achieve their potential.
2) we don't suffer any major injuries.
3) We draft a franchise offensive superstar this summer.

We'll have a team that is one of the 4 best in the Eastern Conference. However, I don't think it's valid to assume that all 3 of these are going to be true.

Typically, a great number of prospects fail. We typically suffer 1, 2 or 3 major injuries at any given time for several years now, and only half of top-5 picks are home runs. When we drafted Price (grand slam), our second choice was Marc Staal (home run). However, the team might have picked Pouliot if he had been available (ground out into a double play).

Last summer, I posted a thread that Hamrlik-Wisnewski would not easily be replaced by Gorges-Markov. People criticized me -- they said it was safe to assume both Gorges and Markov would play 82 games. You can't assume that. You have to assume a significant fraction of your potential is lost to injuries. It's just not valid to assume we'll be a better team next year with Markov and Gionta. We'll likely have those two players... but then we could lose Pacioretty and Price, or equivalent.

Last edited by DAChampion: 02-28-2012 at 12:46 PM.
DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
HabsSlappy

We have a lot of nice prospects but few that will be impact players. I see only Beaulieu having a shot at being a top tier prospect.

Looking at players that can be expected to be here in the 2014-15 season (soonest I think we can contend) we have:

Line 1 - Pacioretty, Price, Subban
Line 1/2 - Beaulieu, Cole
Line 2 - Tinordi, Gorges, Plekanec
Line 2/3 - Eller, Emelin, Bourque, Desharnais, Leblanc, Gallagher, Ellis, Kristo, Bennett, Qualier, Nygren
Line 3 - Diaz, Weber, Geoffrion, Bournival, Nash, Holland, Dietz, MacMillan, Pribyl
Line 3/4 - White, Nattinen, Palushaj, Avtsin, Fortier, Engqvist, Pateryn
Line 4 - Schultz, Dumont
Line 4/5 - Conboy, Blunden

You may want to bump players up or down a level but in my eyes, that's how I see it. It is obvious that we need some top line talent. We have good prospects but the majority of them are borderline second line players or worse. Maybe one guy will impress and jump up but we have to plan that they won't.

Price, Subban and Pacioretty should be signed long term ASAP. Give them 5 to 8 year deals to decrease the cap hit if you can. Something like:

Price - Sign long term at 5,6,7,7,7,6,5,4 = 5.875M cap hit
Subban - Sign long term at 3,4,4,5,5 = 4.2M cap hit
Pacioretty - Sign long term at 2.5,3.75,4.5,4.75,5,5 = 4.25M cap hit (JVR contract)

We should also do everything we can to get get Parise and Suter this offseason. Unlikely that we get one, let alone both. But throw ridiculous money at them. Take the plunge and give them a long term deal that will attract other players.

Parise and Suter- 8,8,7.5,7,6,6,5,3 = 6.3M cap hit

You then have two more legitimate first line players and hopefully Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, etc...in the pipeline as another top line player.

Pacioretty/Parise/2012 Pick
Cole/Plekanec/Eller/Bourque
Geoffrion/Leblanc/Kristo/Gallgher/Desharnais/etc.
White/Schultz/Conboy/etc.

Subban/Suter
Beaulieu/Tinordi
Emelin/Gorges

Price/Subban

ps - I think ultimately Plekanec needs be dealt for futures in order for this team to take the next step. Maybe not this year, but within the next couple of years. Time to get some actual value out of our good players. Stop holding onto them until they are worth nothing.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You also need to remember(and I'm sure you out of all people do) that not many people pegged Pacioretty to be in a position he is in now. I and many others thought he would develop into a good two-way passing complimentary winger. He turned into the opposite: a speedy big-bodied goal scoring forward.

The point is that development is a nebulous thing. One guy starts developing at a rate not expected and it changes the whole pool.

Next year in Hamilton we'll see Leblanc, Kristo, Gallagher, Bournival Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett and hopefully Beaulieu. Like you said, there is good depth here outside of Kristo, Leblanc and Beaulieu, but you never know who's development might take a positive turn.

Also like I said previously, the dent in our prospect pool didn't help when 6 of our best prospects graduated to the nhl last season.

I think the 2008 draft really hurt the prospect pool temporarily. With the high pick this year and the two 2nds along with Timmins at the fore, I'm really not worried(unless they fire Timmins if they they fire the current managemen team).
Do you even remember anything from 2007?, pacioretty was a first rounder, 1 , not some 3rd round pick everyone hopes pans out, now get this, back then, people were saying you can COMPLETELY compare this kid to an erik cole type player, and im not joking, the fact cole is on our team at all for us to compare and see how similar they really are is just coincidence.

They SAID he could be an erik cole, and hes becoming what alot of people HOPED he could become, i really dont see what you thought people hoped he would be? That was smart drafting, the other pick timmins took in that same first round ahead of him, mcdonaugh, and ask everyone how hes doing at the NHL level, regardless of what orginazation hes in.

Trust the guy.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
LastRide

SK keeps saying people in Nashville are a lot nicer than Montreal in the two interviews I have seen. Are people in Montreal rude or something, or is this guy just a punk filled with bitterness ?.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
SK keeps saying people in Nashville are a lot nicer than Montreal in the two interviews I have seen. Are people in Montreal rude or something, or is this guy just a punk filled with bitterness ?.
Yeah, I'm sure he just loved what was written about him in the papers and what was said about him on TV.

Looks more like the people given the pens and the mics in Nashville aren't for the most part pompous douchers.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Saying people are nicer doesn't mean everyone else isn't. I've never been to Nashville, I can't comment on their general politeness.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Do you even remember anything from 2007?, pacioretty was a first rounder, 1 , not some 3rd round pick everyone hopes pans out, now get this, back then, people were saying you can COMPLETELY compare this kid to an erik cole type player, and im not joking, the fact cole is on our team at all for us to compare and see how similar they really are is just coincidence.

They SAID he could be an erik cole, and hes becoming what alot of people HOPED he could become, i really dont see what you thought people hoped he would be? That was smart drafting, the other pick timmins took in that same first round ahead of him, mcdonaugh, and ask everyone how hes doing at the NHL level, regardless of what orginazation hes in.

Trust the guy.
I remember 2007, but do you remember the beginning of last season? Very few on this board thought he was going to be an nhl player and there are threads to prove it.

Like I said, you never know the develoment path a player will take. Pacioretty was never much of a goal scorer in the ahl and just suddenly exploded. I remember he would rarely even take any shots early on.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Et le But

Never been to Nashville but there's that southern politeness stereotype that might be true. Plus people aren't obsessed with hockey there which means less unwanted attention.

And of course no cancerous media to make said hockey obsessed population think he's some sort of mafia gangster.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
This is part of the culture of American Southerners. Good manners and hospitality were(and apparently still are) emphasized as very important in everyday conduct. Of course, it is weaker now, but still there.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Saying people are nicer doesn't mean everyone else isn't. I've never been to Nashville, I can't comment on their general politeness.
I guess he meant it in a hockey related way, media. The guys interviewing PG yesterday were cupcakes. I don't think the media is as tough as they used to be. Papers and talk shows are a different thing.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I've been a long time habs fan but today is a sad day for me after seeing Hal Gills interview about AK. 5 years ago we had a top rated farm team and prospect pool and today we are back to the Houle Tremblay era and looks to me like a long way to get back to where we were. I have little or no faith in the current management team and the with the press and their epectations of habs players I can't see how it will ever get any better.
Price, Subban, Pacio, Eller, Pleks, Derharnais, Beaulieu, etc. is FAR from sad.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
This is part of the culture of American Southerners. Good manners and hospitality were(and apparently still are) emphasized as very important in everyday conduct. Of course, it is weaker now, but still there.
It's not like people was spitting in his face on the street in Montreal. If anything I remember seeing Sergei in the stands when I went to see the World Championship in Quebec city and he had hired bodyguards and he sent the word outthere he didn't want to be disturbed. Guy acted like a primadonna.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Price, Subban, Pacio, Eller, Pleks, Derharnais, Beaulieu, etc. is FAR from sad.
We are almost last overall with most of these guys.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:56 PM

Very happy to come into this thread and see its not about Big Jean. Thoughts and prayers out to Le Gros Bill and his family.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote