HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

So will the CHL ban fighting next year?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
  #1
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,140
vCash: 500
David Branch, Bob Nicholson wants to Ban Fighting in Junior

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...e-banned-soon/

Quote:
David Branch and Bob Nicholson are two powerful hockey men. The former is the president of the CHL, the umbrella organization that oversees the three major-junior leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL). The latter is the president of Hockey Canada.

Both men want to end fighting in their respective organizations, as reported by the New York Times.

Branch: “One of the causes of concussions is fighting. And I believe that there is more and more recognition that our game does not need fighting to survive, to be part of the entertainment package, you might say, because of the concerns of injuries and other concerns that could very well be a byproduct of fighting.”
This is what happens in socialist Canada. To me these two guys act like dictators, deciding what's right for people who have nothing to say in the matter. I have never liked Bob Nicholson and this reinforces the view I have of him. He's always been a wussy primadonna who wants to be another Alan Eagleson.


Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-28-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Edited length of article
Kimota is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
  #2
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Never been a fan of the staged fighting or the big dance before a fight. Glad to see it's done.
But with all the rule changes or should I say enforcement of rules as a regular attendee of Major Jr games.........
The entertainment value has gone way down.
There's more body contact in pairs or dance figure skating these days.

Alpine is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:58 PM
  #3
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,375
vCash: 500
There was a time during the dead puck era when the OHL game was at least as entertaining as the NHL game. This was a time when you could jump on a guy's back and there wasn't a holding penalty. Not so now. Since 2005 when the OHL sanitized their game it has become unwatchable. Its a shame too, because this is where the players hone their skills for the NHL. The junior players are going to be hit like a shovel when they hit the NHL and a 6'4" defenseman goes up against them.

Branch is without a doubt the worst thing to happen to hockey since Alan Eagleson. Why he gets so much power is beyond me. This is a guy who has had a hidden agenda from day one to remove fighting. Well, it isn't hidden, the guy has said so in interviews. If you think these little rodents that run around the ice knowing that no one will touch them with the instigator penalty then imagine how the Maxim Lapierre's of the OHL will react when there is no fighting at all. Big mistake if they do it, and they won't because there is no way the owners will let it happen.

Bob Nicholson, what a sell out too. He says on behalf of "Canadian Hockey" we want to end fighting. Uh, Bob........do you think if the junior team you picked this year was a little more masculine that we would have been clobbered by the Russians in our own barn?

Get these clowns out of here. Their opinions alone ruin the game

Big Phil is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
  #4
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,375
vCash: 500
So will the CHL ban fighting next year?

According to the New York Times, the "beloved' David Branch commissioner of the CHL and Bob Nicholson want to ban fighting in the CHL next year so long as the owners approve it. Are these guys nuts? Branch has never been shy about his agenda to outlaw fighting. He has taken a once entertaining product in the OHL and sanitized the game to the point where it is unwatchable, which is a shame because the OHL was as entertaining, if not more, than the NHL during the dead puck era.

Can you imagine the juniors banning fighting and then an ill-prepared 18 year old does something to rub Chara the wrong way and then has no idea how to defend himself? How can this even be in the discussion? They are preparing these boys for figure skating, not NHL hockey.

What is your take, will this idea fly?

Big Phil is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
  #5
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,950
vCash: 500
While I hate the references to things like socialist Canada (... you're from Quebec, aren't you?), it is indeed a move that could really be negative for quite a few major junior teams. If this happens, expect way more players drafted out of the Junior A Leagues -- if those leagues recognize that they'd be missing a very good opportunity if decide to bad fights.

But staged fights? I really couldn't care less.

MXD is online now  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  #6
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 71,183
vCash: 500
Not a good idea because, as you say, if they don't learn young then they'll be pummelled in the big league.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
  #7
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
According to the New York Times, the "beloved' David Branch commissioner of the CHL and Bob Nicholson want to ban fighting in the CHL next year so long as the owners approve it. Are these guys nuts? Branch has never been shy about his agenda to outlaw fighting. He has taken a once entertaining product in the OHL and sanitized the game to the point where it is unwatchable, which is a shame because the OHL was as entertaining, if not more, than the NHL during the dead puck era.

Can you imagine the juniors banning fighting and then an ill-prepared 18 year old does something to rub Chara the wrong way and then has no idea how to defend himself? How can this even be in the discussion? They are preparing these boys for figure skating, not NHL hockey.

What is your take, will this idea fly?

Dont disagree with what u are saying

As long as the Nhl allows fighting,the major source of player should do the same

The NHL delivers millions of dollars to the CHL for player dev in all facets

and should have a say

Abolish staged fights and the instigator rule would be better options

Afterall whats next,ban hitting

Ridiculous

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
  #8
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Not a good idea because, as you say, if they don't learn young then they'll be pummelled in the big league.
Actually they'll be just as bad as the other college, European, etc. players that they'll play against that don't allow fighting in their junior leagues.

vwg* is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
  #9
Pepsi12pac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Shoreview
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Ban it, good move in the right direction.

Pepsi12pac is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  #10
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
If this happens, the NHL will follow sooner or later.

tikkanen5rings* is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
  #11
LeafDangler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
I'll preface this by saying I love a good CHL scrap.

That said this is a league that features 16, 17 and 18 year old children. The fact that they are allowed to bare knuckle fight and only receive a 5 minute penalty is absurd. Think about it for a second.

Us hockey fans have enjoyed something spectacular for many years but the moral implications are finally catching up to the game of hockey. It's inevitable and makes perfect sense to ban fighting in Jr. hockey.

LeafDangler is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
  #12
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
After watching the NY Times documentary on Boogaard, this is a great idea. 16 year olds shouldn't be encouraged to lace up the skates just to fight.

Fighting isn't allowed in College either, iirc, yet many NHLers who went to college still fight in the NHL.

Also, fights between goons isn't exciting anyway. It's pathetic. I like fighting in hockey, but those staged fights between 2 useless goons. This will rid the league of the Godards and Laraques.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
  #13
SaxMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Ban it.

SaxMan is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:20 PM
  #14
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
I'll preface this by saying I love a good CHL scrap.

That said this is a league that features 16, 17 and 18 year old children. The fact that they are allowed to bare knuckle fight and only receive a 5 minute penalty is absurd. Think about it for a second.

Us hockey fans have enjoyed something spectacular for many years but the moral implications are finally catching up to the game of hockey. It's inevitable and makes perfect sense to ban fighting in Jr. hockey.
Agreed entirely.

With any luck, this will trickle down to the lowest level, placing a much greater emphasis on skill development rather than the attitude that a largely unskilled player can still hang on if he just learns how to intimidate and fight.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
  #15
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Not a good idea because, as you say, if they don't learn young then they'll be pummelled in the big league.
And can you imagine the Maxim Lapierre's of the CHL being able to roam free without fear of a fight?

By the way, the ones saying these are 16, 17, 18, 19 year olds. Welcome to our planet. They have always been that age. Nothing has changed. Branch is in the wrong here, just like he is in almost every other hockey decision he has made. Remember when the CHL was a watchable and entertaining game? Yeah, I know, its been a while.

And please, all this talk about "staged" fights has got to stop. I hate to burst your bubble, but these staged fights have been going on in the NHL since there was dirt on the ground. Bobby Orr got tested from day one in the NHL. Remember that classic Jonathan/Bouchard fight in the 1978 finals? Watch closely. Staged. Oh no! Stop the press. These types of fights will never stop for the main reason you cannot police it. There will be staged fights and spontaneous fights. Oh, and another one. Iginla vs. Lecavalier in the 2004 final. Staged. But a classic bout right. So.............let's get rid of it!

Big Phil is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
  #16
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
The NHL is the only major sport league in NA to allow fighting.

Now that's something to think about.

Passchendaele is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
  #17
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,825
vCash: 830
Fighting is already banned.

That's why it's a penalty.

OilerTyler is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:27 PM
  #18
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,301
vCash: 50
I'm fine with it being banned at the CHL level.

Players will learn how to deal with it when they get to the NHL. The example of an 18-year-old against Chara doesn't make sense because even if he had fighting in the CHL, it's against other people his age/size. He'd still get manhandled by Chara regardless of if he had fighting experience before.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
  #19
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Agreed entirely.

With any luck, this will trickle down to the lowest level, placing a much greater emphasis on skill development rather than the attitude that a largely unskilled player can still hang on if he just learns how to intimidate and fight.
You need intimidation in hockey. I don't know how old some of the posters here are, but maybe you've watched too much sanitized post lockout hockey. Fighting is as important today as it was 40 years ago. If you don't believe me check out the 2011 Cup final. There was a team who exposed the Canucks for the softies that they were and if you think Brad Marchand laying some shots on Sedin with no one coming to his rescue didn't help then you weren't watching. In game 7 Sedin was not a factor. Marchand scored two goals. It affected the Canucks so much that they traded away who I think is a gem of a prospect in Hodgson just to get some toughness just in case they face the Bruins in the final again.

I highly doubt the OHL owners will ever allow this. Do you know how many season ticket holders will bow out?

Big Phil is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
  #20
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
The NHL is the only major sport league in NA to allow fighting.

Now that's something to think about.
So if we were more like the NBA you'd like that?

Big Phil is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
  #21
LeafDangler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
And can you imagine the Maxim Lapierre's of the CHL being able to roam free without fear of a fight?

By the way, the ones saying these are 16, 17, 18, 19 year olds. Welcome to our planet. They have always been that age. Nothing has changed. Branch is in the wrong here, just like he is in almost every other hockey decision he has made. Remember when the CHL was a watchable and entertaining game? Yeah, I know, its been a while.
Letting kids as young as 16 punch each other in the face until exhaustion or KO for the enjoyment of mostly older paying spectators is insane. It's complete and utter barbarism. I love watching it but I'm not blinded to the fact that it's pretty ****ing crazy.

The fact that you can't even see this side of the argument is, frankly, kinda scary.

LeafDangler is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:34 PM
  #22
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
The NHL is the only major sport league in NA to allow fighting.

Now that's something to think about.
well, besides UFC

WarriorOfGandhi is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:34 PM
  #23
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 1291
Wow. Hippies are out in full force tonight........kidding kidding.....

I feel that the complete ban of fighting in the Dub, Q, O etc is not a good idea.
The younger leagues sure.
If we are going to go this route and concentrate on skill and finesse we may as well not introduce body contact as well until the DUB etc because of safety issues and concussions that occur more often from body contact then fighting.

Ziggy66 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
  #24
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You need intimidation in hockey. I don't know how old some of the posters here are, but maybe you've watched too much sanitized post lockout hockey. Fighting is as important today as it was 40 years ago. If you don't believe me check out the 2011 Cup final. There was a team who exposed the Canucks for the softies that they were and if you think Brad Marchand laying some shots on Sedin with no one coming to his rescue didn't help then you weren't watching. In game 7 Sedin was not a factor. Marchand scored two goals. It affected the Canucks so much that they traded away who I think is a gem of a prospect in Hodgson just to get some toughness just in case they face the Bruins in the final again.

I highly doubt the OHL owners will ever allow this. Do you know how many season ticket holders will bow out?
Remind me again what the purpose of the CHL is. And remind me again how many designated enforcers there were before the 1967 expansion. How did the NHL ever survive during those years?

There's a massive difference between an excellent hockey player intimidating by being relentless and hitting hard within the rules, and a below-average hockey player intimidating by running someone after the whistle or by trying to cheap-shot the good players into a fight.

Stick-swinging used to be fairly common, and was an accepted method of intimidation back in the day. What changed? Oh yeah, Ted Green having his skull crushed. Even then, there were still instances of stick-swinging all the way into the mid-1980s, with sporadic high-profile incidents occurring after that.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
  #25
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Ban it.

MountainHawk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.