Go Matt!

Old
11-12-2003, 08:33 PM
CFABoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
Go Matt!
What's with this guy? Is he really this good? Oilers gave up on him and Flames picked him up in the late 3rd...good offense in the Q but how's his defensive play?

Old
11-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Fedz

WOW...that was a nice goal...on the breakaway, that pass to Clark was amazing too! Lombardi is a gem...good luck with him!

Old
11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Stifler

Not too get ahead of ourselves BUT can this guy make a run for the Calder Trophy.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:58 PM
CFABoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
Not too get ahead of ourselves BUT can this guy make a run for the Calder Trophy.
dunno, main competition will come from
King (10 pts), Bergeron (11 pts), Semin (6 pts), and Fleury....

Old
11-12-2003, 10:08 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFABoy
What's with this guy? Is he really this good? Oilers gave up on him and Flames picked him up in the late 3rd...good offense in the Q but how's his defensive play?
Thats why they left him in the AHL a couple years, but nowadays he gets praised for his defense, hence him playing on the PK as a rookie (something Sutter rarely does) and scoring shorthanded.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
I saw bits and peice of the game tonight, but wow, what a game for Lombardi. This kid is immensely talented. I thought he was going to need at least one more season in the AHL, but he seems to have matured very rapidly. For a guy of his skill level, it's impressive to see how well he plays away from the puck too.

And I'm not one for starting out of this world trade proposals, but me thinks that with the emergence of Lombardi, plus Conroy's impending free agency.....equals Conroy as trade bait. I'd be very content with Reinprecht, Lombardi, Yelle and Betts as our top 4 centerman. Package Conroy w/Gauthier, and see if we can land a scoring winger, like Zubrus, or something of that nature......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
11-13-2003, 04:54 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Oilers gave up on him and Flames picked him up in the late 3rd
That's not exactly how events played out. Edmonton indicated a willingness to draft him again, but the Flames prevented that from happening because they were ahead of the Oilers in the draft order. A similar situation occurred in reverse with Jarret Stoll. Despite the fact that both Lombardi & Stoll reentered the draft, you could consider their selections as a de facto Edmonton-Calgary swap.

As impressive as his performance was last night, nobody should be ready to anoint Lombardi as a Calder candidate just yet. 60% of his entire 2003-04 goal-scoring output was, in one evening, against the second and third string goalies on a second division team. Hopefully, he can carry that momentum.

Old
11-13-2003, 06:01 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
That's not exactly how events played out. Edmonton indicated a willingness to draft him again, but the Flames prevented that from happening because they were ahead of the Oilers in the draft order. A similar situation occurred in reverse with Jarret Stoll. Despite the fact that both Lombardi & Stoll reentered the draft, you could consider their selections as a de facto Edmonton-Calgary swap.

As impressive as his performance was last night, nobody should be ready to anoint Lombardi as a Calder candidate just yet. 60% of his entire 2003-04 goal-scoring output was, in one evening, against the second and third string goalies on a second division team. Hopefully, he can carry that momentum.

Same could be said for players that score against McLennan and Sabourin. I guess Guerin's hat trick shouldn't count then either.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:17 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Same could be said for players that score against McLennan and Sabourin. I guess Guerin's hat trick shouldn't count then either.
Wow. Amazing how you drew to the conclusion that my prevous post intimated that the hat trick "didn't count." No asterisks appeared in the box score this morning, dude.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Wow. Amazing how you drew to the conclusion that my prevous post intimated that the hat trick "didn't count." No asterisks appeared in the box score this morning, dude.

You're comments are discounting the fact Lombardi scored a trick. Are we to start discounting Avalanche wins because most of them come against teams with lesser records? A trick or a win is what it is. Is Lombardi to blame because the Hawks don't have a decent back up tender? Are the Avs to blame when they beat a lesser opponent cause that team can't match up.

Hell nobody thought the Canuck kid, can't think of his name, would be Calder material either until he got hot. We haven't had the playoffs in years what's wrong with a little hope that we may have a Calder winner.

Haven't had that in more than a decade.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Badger Bob

You're reading way too far into it. If you're going to attempt to engage me in debate, at least stick to what was actually written.

Quote:
60% of his entire 2003-04 goal-scoring output was, in one evening, against the second and third string goalies on a second division team.
Is there anything inaccurate in that statement? Did my post do anything to deter your, or anybody else's, enjoyment of the team's victory last night? Didn't think so. Nowhere in the post does it "discount" Lombardi's hat trick. Anybody who visits this board can read it clearly.

Last night was a nice win, with some good offensive efforts. Nothing more. Just be realistic. It took 30 regular season games to attain 5 goals or more. The team's been already been shut out three times on home ice. Sorry to upset you with the news.

Let the team get a winning streak going, and have Lombardi show some consistency. Then, there might be cause to get excited.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
You're reading way too far into it. If you're going to attempt to engage me in debate, at least stick to what was actually written.

Is there anything inaccurate in that statement? Did my post do anything to deter your, or anybody else's, enjoyment of the team's victory last night? Didn't think so. Nowhere in the post does it "discount" Lombardi's hat trick. Anybody who visits this board can read it clearly.

Last night was a nice win, with some good offensive efforts. Nothing more. Just be realistic. It took 30 regular season games to attain 5 goals or more. The team's been already been shut out three times on home ice. Sorry to upset you with the news.

Let the team get a winning streak going, and have Lombardi show some consistency. Then, there might be cause to get excited.

Actually this was what was written:

Why can't Flames fans get excited about Lombardi as a Calder candidate? Great junior numbers, solid in the A and his first career hat trick. Hell all the press in North America was touting Tuomo Ruutu as Calder winner before the season. Lombardi's done more than Ruutu to be mentioned as a Calder candidate.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Actually this was what was written:
What controversy! Obviously, those statements trouble you deeply. If you're a long-time Flames fan, you need to be a little more thick-skinned. Some of us hold out hope, but have been around long enough to be realistic (to paraphrase an astute poster on this board).

Quote:
Why can't Flames fans get excited about Lombardi as a Calder candidate? Great junior numbers, solid in the A and his first career hat trick. Hell all the press in North America was touting Tuomo Ruutu as Calder winner before the season. Lombardi's done more than Ruutu to be mentioned as a Calder candidate.
Flames fans had better not getting too excited. This team was coming off three straight losses. Want more numbers? Take a look at where Calgary's ranked in Goals For Average:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...4&seasontype=2

Nothing to get charged up about. That's reality.

As far as touting Lombardi for Calder candidacy...based on what? His numbers in juniors? One NHL game? Rookie of the Year is awarded based on the performance of an entire season. If he can demonstrate some scoring consistency into the winter, then maybe it's a legitimate possibility. If you're trying to suggest that Lombardi's better than Tuomo Ruutu, somebody else can stop by to take that one up.

Hey, maybe somebody should stop by the Bluejackets board to see if there's a thread discussing increased power play time for Jody Shelley.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:52 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
I agree Calder talk should be put on hold - but lombo did have a great game, can't take that away! I think he has surpassed all of our expectations of him (so far)
Now, if only Sappy can get going (or just play!)

Old
11-13-2003, 11:19 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
dunno, main competition will come from
King (10 pts), Bergeron (11 pts), Semin (6 pts), and Fleury....
Dont forget about Pitkanen and Staal.

Old
11-13-2003, 01:25 PM
kruezer

Nice game by Deano too, I guess I'll stop bashing him for awhile

Closed Thread