HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
  #226
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Sigh...for (hopefully) the last time...my whole point was that this team was not ready to add a Mike Richards type player to the roster and it would have been FAR better to keep Schenn and Simmonds and continue to develop a young core.

And based upon his play over the past 1 1/2 seasons, Mike Richards IS now overrated by most fans. The difference between the 24 year-old version of Mike Richards and the 27 year-old version is staggering. Unfortunately, the Kings are stuck with the latter and will be for almost the next decade.

And, as always, remember...1 goal in 29 games.
That is kinda short sighted, What if Mike posts his Career avg of 60 to 70 points next season ?

damacles1156 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
  #227
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Sigh...for (hopefully) the last time...my whole point was that this team was not ready to add a Mike Richards type player to the roster and it would have been FAR better to keep Schenn and Simmonds and continue to develop a young core.

And based upon his play over the past 1 1/2 seasons, Mike Richards IS now overrated by most fans. The difference between the 24 year-old version of Mike Richards and the 27 year-old version is staggering. Unfortunately, the Kings are stuck with the latter and will be for almost the next decade.

And, as always, remember...1 goal in 29 games.
And he was 26 years old when you made that comment. So was he overrated in 2011 when you made the comment or were you wrong then? Nice job, fencesitter.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your assesment. If you were hoping Schenn becomes a Richards type player and we have Mike Richard now, is the difference between this team being a fringe playoff team and a contender Wayne Simmonds? I don't buy that for a second. Just admit you either made a silly comment in that trade thread or you aren't being geniune now. You can't have it both ways.


Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 02-28-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:50 PM
  #228
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
That is kinda short sighted, What if Mike posts his Career avg of 60 to 70 points next season ?
More power to him if he does. Just remember that each year that goes by the trade is likely to look worse and worse from an LA POV.

tomd is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:53 PM
  #229
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
More power to him if he does. Just remember that each year that goes by the trade is likely to look worse and worse from an LA POV.
Well if Schenn becomes the next Richards as you predicted, his numbers will start to dwindle in about 4 years so no worries right?

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:56 PM
  #230
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Sigh...for (hopefully) the last time...my whole point was that this team was not ready to add a Mike Richards type player to the roster and it would have been FAR better to keep Schenn and Simmonds and continue to develop a young core.

And based upon his play over the past 1 1/2 seasons, Mike Richards IS now overrated by most fans. The difference between the 24 year-old version of Mike Richards and the 27 year-old version is staggering. Unfortunately, the Kings are stuck with the latter and will be for almost the next decade.

And, as always, remember...1 goal in 29 games.
Exactly.

I admitted I was shocked at the trade at first and CONVINCED myself it was the right move but quickly jumped off that again when I saw Richards and kept seeing Flyer's highlights on NHL network. A lot of my hype on Richards was IF HE DOES this or IF HE DOES THAT....and so far he hasn't....

I would rather miss the playoffs and have Simmonds and Schenn than miss the playoffs and have Richards.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:56 PM
  #231
tomd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
And he was 26 years old when you made that comment. So was he overrated in 2011 when you made the comment or were you wrong then? Nice job, fencesitter.
Let it go man. You are trying so hard to parse my words and thoughts and it just isn't working for you.

Bottom line (in my opinion) is that Richards is a good player but not a great one. When good players are lionized as great ones then they are overrated. Philly traded him for a reason and that reason is becoming more obvious every game he plays this year. Meanwhile, Philly hasn't missed a beat without him.

Until the facts change I am comfortable with my position.

And remember...1 goal in 29 games.

tomd is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
  #232
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,504
vCash: 500
Look at this game log below, looks like the type of scoring winger the Kings could use...oh wait.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...1CCg7btDJivLYF

And even if Simmonds is not scoring he is fighting, hitting and playing well defensively. What does Richards do? One big hit this year, 3 fights (one wrestling match), a couple big giveaways.

Simmonds smoked Clarkson, Brewer and Dorsett. He is becoming a monster and probably the best player Lombardi drafted not in the 1st round. He had LA Kings stamped on his butt, slept on DL's couch, made the team at 19.

I will never forget him slamming the stick against the boards during the playoffs. He cared about losing.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
  #233
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Well if Schenn becomes the next Richards as you predicted, his numbers will start to dwindle in about 4 years so no worries right?
Schenn's style is comparable to Richards but he isn't his identical clone

Tim Tebow is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
  #234
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Let it go man. You are trying so hard to parse my words and thoughts and it just isn't working for you.

Bottom line (in my opinion) is that Richards is a good player but not a great one. When good players are lionized as great ones then they are overrated. Philly traded him for a reason and that reason is becoming more obvious every game he plays this year. Meanwhile, Philly hasn't missed a beat without him.

Until the facts change I am comfortable with my position.

And remember...1 goal in 29 games.
I'm not trying to do anything. You wrote what you wrote and you are trying to backpeddle from it. I guess it is because Mike Richards is the type of guy who wins Championships and maybe one day Schenn will be like him. You said it, not me. Ride that fence!! You are just as stubborn as your arch nemisis and you probably have a lot more in common with him than you'd like to admit.

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
  #235
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Schenn's style is comparable to Richards but he isn't his identical clone
Yes they are. He, Rod Brindamour and Mike Richards are all the same person.

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
  #236
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yes they are. He, Rod Brindamour and Mike Richards are all the same person.
Ryan Kesler is too. He followed Mike's footsteps in losing in the cup finals. He shall be traded this offseason and fall apart.

Tim Tebow is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
  #237
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,504
vCash: 500
Facts:

Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds are having good years and will make the playoffs.

Mike Richards is having a bad year and the Kings are on the verge of not making the playoffs.

What was the point of this deal then? A wasted year of Richards, so now he is one year older and declining.

Would have rather kept the kids, kept the 2nd rounder, traded for Carter and drafted high this year and tried again next year.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Schenn-Carter
Clifford-Loktionov-Simmonds
Richardson-Fraser or UFA replacement-Lewis/Westgarth

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
  #238
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yes they are. He, Rod Brindamour and Mike Richards are all the same person.
I want a DNA test.

KINGS17 is online now  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
  #239
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Facts:

Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds are having good years and will make the playoffs.

Mike Richards is having a bad year and the Kings are on the verge of not making the playoffs.

What was the point of this deal then? A wasted year of Richards, so now he is one year older and declining.

Would have rather kept the kids, kept the 2nd rounder, traded for Carter and drafted high this year and tried again next year.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Schenn-Carter
Clifford-Loktionov-Simmonds
Richardson-Fraser or UFA replacement-Lewis/Westgarth
You sure didn't type that at the time of the trade. Schenn is not even going to hit 30 points this year. Simmer is having a fine year (which everyone said he would).

damacles1156 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
  #240
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,504
vCash: 500
Ok great, so you made your point buddy. The past is the past. Today is today. I admitted I was shocked, then supportive and then over it. I never really saw Richards play and after about 20 games I was a little skeptical. Seeing Simmonds start to heat up didn't help either.

My stance is the same today it was yesterday.


Last edited by Johnny Utah: 02-28-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
  #241
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Facts:

Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds are having good years and will make the playoffs.

Mike Richards is having a bad year and the Kings are on the verge of not making the playoffs.

What was the point of this deal then? A wasted year of Richards, so now he is one year older and declining.

Would have rather kept the kids, kept the 2nd rounder, traded for Carter and drafted high this year and tried again next year.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Schenn-Carter
Clifford-Loktionov-Simmonds
Richardson-Fraser or UFA replacement-Lewis/Westgarth
It's a tad early for this don't you think? The Kings missed the playoffs the year they acquired Justin Williams. Has he been a waste?

KINGS17 is online now  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:18 PM
  #242
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,504
vCash: 500
Yeah but Williams cost us Patty O'Sullivan....Is he in the playoffs (Well, Phoenix might be, but he's in the AHL)? Is he outscoring Williams? Did he also cost us Brayden Schenn?

No, no and no.

P.S. Williams showed up to LA injured.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
  #243
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
Not sure why anyone pays attention to Johnny Utah after he was exposed earlier

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
  #244
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
It's a tad early for this don't you think? The Kings missed the playoffs the year they acquired Justin Williams. Has he been a waste?
I didn't know Mike was like 35 and at the end of his career. Are people really betting that Mike Richards will never post his Career avg again ?

damacles1156 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:25 PM
  #245
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I didn't know Mike was like 35 and at the end of his career. Are people really betting that Mike Richards will never post his Career avg again ?
Well they do say if you party hard enough it can age you more rapidly

Tim Tebow is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
  #246
King Richards
Dry Island II
 
King Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Facts:

Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds are having good years and will make the playoffs.

Mike Richards is having a bad year and the Kings are on the verge of not making the playoffs.

What was the point of this deal then?
So you present it as, Schenn and Simmonds will make the playoffs and Richards will miss the playoffs... not, ya know, THE FLYERS and the KINGS...

holy CRAP the scapegoating around here is HILARIOUS!

King Richards is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
  #247
ShattStar03
Registered User
 
ShattStar03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Claremont, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
I'll be more critical of Richards when the entire team starts to score on a consistent basis, til then I still hold to the idea that Richards' low production is a product of a bad system.

ShattStar03 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
  #248
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I'll be more critical of Richards when the entire team starts to score on a consistent basis, til then I still hold to the idea that Richards' low production is a product of a bad system.
Bingo.

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
  #249
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
So you present it as, Schenn and Simmonds will make the playoffs and Richards will miss the playoffs... not, ya know, THE FLYERS and the KINGS...

holy CRAP the scapegoating around here is HILARIOUS!
I know right, I don't recall anyone thinking Richards would out produce Simmer and Schenn put together.

But funny part is, if Richards would have just had an Average year...He almost would have.

damacles1156 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
  #250
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
And, as always, remember...1 goal in 29 games.
Is this a bad time to point out that Richards will be making just over $100K per game next season?



(while his cap hit is $5.75 mil, he's actually going to collect $8.4 mil next season)

PSP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.